Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

_Q_

Making liquid oxygen

_Q_    644

Its possible to get to low temps somehow, to turn oxygen and maybe some other gases into liquid form?

When I tried it with that thingy to cool gases the pipes started to brake when it reached the liquid point.

And what lowest possible temperature we can get?

Neotuck    2319

Using regulators on hydrogen you can bring the temp down to -252C before it turns to liquid and breaks the pipes, this is low enough to turn almost any other gas into liquid if you use a radiant pipe to transfer temperatures 

_Q_    644
2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Using regulators on hydrogen you can bring the temp down to -252C before it turns to liquid and breaks the pipes, this is low enough to turn almost any other gas into liquid if you use a radiant pipe to transfer temperatures 

That's where the problem starts I guess.

You get -14 on every run, but your starting temp will be different, like you can have 20 degrees or -15, or really anything, hard to get to low temp without braking the pipes.

Neotuck    2319
24 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

That's where the problem starts I guess.

You get -14 on every run, but your starting temp will be different, like you can have 20 degrees or -15, or really anything, hard to get to low temp without braking the pipes.

that's why you use a gas pipe thermal sensor (set at -235C) with shut off valves to loop them until it reaches the desired temp.

_Q_    644
Just now, Neotuck said:

that's why you use a gas pipe thermal sensor (set at -240C) with shut off valves to loop them until it reaches the desired temp.

If you would be so nice and provide some cooling loops of low temps. I'm really bad at this and over complicate everything.

Neotuck    2319
Just now, _Q_ said:

If you would be so nice and provide some cooling loops of low temps. I'm really bad at this and over complicate everything.

give me a min, I'll make one real quick in debug

Hasharin    10
33 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

When I tried it with that thingy to cool gases the pipes started to brake when it reached the liquid point.

And what lowest possible temperature we can get?

You are using a GAS pipe, and when the gas is too low and turn to liquid the pipe breaks because it's not a liquid pipe.
Lowest temp is around -275 (absolute Zero ) i thinks not sur

Neotuck    2319

Here's a simple LOX maker that loops the hydrogen through one regulator. 

The gas pipe thermal sensor is set to above -235C. 

If the temp is warmer than -235C then it activates the gas shutoff on the left directing the gas to the regulator

If the temp is -235C or colder then it activates a NOT gate and tuns on the shutoff gate on the right bypassing the regulator and back to the radiant pipes

20180708141007_1.thumb.jpg.6b60385bd84042858dfa88e75e40a2bd.jpg20180708141028_1.thumb.jpg.7a8f581d349190f748a8bdc7fb6a47cc.jpg20180708141038_1.thumb.jpg.23ec6f6d67e1553d449f5cf7a33fa73c.jpg20180708141732_1.thumb.jpg.ba5bf343618ca6c0e4749622f265a40b.jpg

Xarian    8
3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Here's a simple LOX maker that loops the hydrogen through one regulator.

You're cooling the regulator with the LOX produced by the regulator? Is that even possible?

Neotuck    2319
Just now, Xarian said:

You're cooling the regulator with the LOX produced by the regulator? Is that even possible?

no that's just water I spawned in debug, in a real game I would loop polluted water over the regulator to keep it cool

onlineous    26

My (way bigger) solution. A similar system works for heating as well.

image.png.018f06fd79bc65f121a567c7350076d5.png

image.thumb.png.f066a412348718c441ad40adffafb93b.png

image.thumb.png.2f5bd1b6d12be183d2f5d05c4d51fa6a.png

The reason this system is way more complicated than Neotucks example is that systems like these recapture the produced cold, which makes them quite efficient, especially over long periods of time.

Neotuck    2319
2 minutes ago, onlineous said:

The reason this system is way more complicated than Neotucks example is that systems like these recapture the produced cold, which makes them quite efficient, especially over long periods of time.

well I did say mine was simple :D lol

nice build

ZanthraSW    65

I was thinking of trying to build a LOX producer that uses Liquid Methane maintained by Aquaturner at -168 to prechill the incoming O2 after the recapture and before a closed loop pumpless hydrogen thermoregulator condenser. Liquid methane manages a better efficiency in aquatuners than even closed loop hydrogen in regulators (more than 200W of cooling per W of power).

Output cold recapture (~ -120 C perhaps?) 0J per thermal J
Methane Precooling (~ -168 C) ~200J per thermal J
Closed loop hydrogen (~ -200 C) ~120J per thermal J

An aquaturned Polluted Water tank could balance inbound PO2 and otubound O2 near -10 as an additional first and last step, with around 600 J per thermal J of cooling.

onlineous    26
2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

well I did say mine was simple :D lol

nice build

No worries, it wasn't meant as negative feedback, it is one of the easiest and clearest examples possible.

I've seen really efficient systems you build. and was actually inspired by your crude oil --> natural gas system. I've been struggling with the problem that thermosensors only go upto 299.99 degrees, your way of dropping oil down through a horizontal heat exchanger with tungsten tiles blocking the falling oil is definitely worth exploring.

onlineous    26
2 hours ago, ZanthraSW said:

I was thinking of trying to build a LOX producer that uses Liquid Methane maintained by Aquaturner at -168 to prechill the incoming O2 after the recapture and before a closed loop pumpless hydrogen thermoregulator condenser. Liquid methane manages a better efficiency in aquatuners than even closed loop hydrogen in regulators (more than 200W of cooling per W of power).

Output cold recapture (~ -120 C perhaps?) 0J per thermal J
Methane Precooling (~ -168 C) ~200J per thermal J
Closed loop hydrogen (~ -200 C) ~120J per thermal J

An aquaturned Polluted Water tank could balance inbound PO2 and otubound O2 near -10 as an additional first and last step, with around 600 J per thermal J of cooling.

One of the problems with liquid methane is that the error margins are quite small. I've build polluted oxygen condensers in the past using an aquatuner and cooling the liquid oxygen at the bottom of the system. I couldn't get it to work safely in a closed loop so I needed an extra liquid pump (that was before the sensors on pipes were introduced though. Today it's easier to do).

Do you have an AETN you don't use? If you build your LOX producer around that I would suggest:

AETN (preferably with a heat exchanger, piping could break) --> output cold recapture --> closed loop hydrogen. In this system you have a lot of safety margin, the only thing affected by input temperature and input quantity is output quantity, you don't run the risk of freezing, breaking or otherwise damaging your system.

nvzboy    55

Since we are sharing our liquifier designs here is mine:

image.thumb.png.26612a33f6e80bd1cb3d17784f155202.png

It's a double parallel hydrogen cooling loop supplemented by a liquid pump (that turns on for a second every minute) and an airflow tile "packing" to distribute the heat evenly across the setup. The packing might not do all that much besides distributing everyting to around -200°C but that way it looks like a bit like a fractioning column they use for this IRL :p

Also the released liquid oxygen is allowed to crossflow with the incoming polluted oxygen to reduce cooling costs. Sensors in the cooling loop and the produced liquid oxygen control the amount of cooling needed and the level control makes sure the produced liquid oxygen gets released. In case the system backs up, the pressure sensor detects this and closes feeding.

I use this setup to scrub the base clean of polluted oxygen infected with slimelung and when I want to make oxygen with the polluted oxygen vents I am given. This setup can handle peak loads of 1kgs/s for several cycles and works on average at about 700g/s.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cbde08c8eabc56b06fbc0c75050ac194.pngimage.thumb.png.7e0a623904a0f135daa49cd73ec48287.pngimage.thumb.png.28ef85576ae0e74bc8746b1673653bf2.png

Neotuck    2319
1 hour ago, onlineous said:

I've been struggling with the problem that thermosensors only go upto 299.99 degrees

This is why I use a hydro sensor to control the heat exchange 

When wet with oil/petroleum close the door to add heat from magma, when dry open the door

Neotuck    2319
16 minutes ago, dankusnher said:

It's possible to use this to cool water? If yes, how?

It's possible yes but water holds more heat than hydrogen so it would take more than one regulator to cool the water

You would be better off using an aqua tuner

dankusnher    0
2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

It's possible yes but water holds more heat than hydrogen so it would take more than one regulator to cool the water

You would be better off using an aqua tuner

Can you show some model? I really doesn't know how to make that thing work properly, wuthout any damage

Neotuck    2319
Just now, dankusnher said:

Can you show some model? I really doesn't know how to make that thing work properly, wuthout any damage

what damage are you taking?

dankusnher    0
Just now, Neotuck said:

what damage are you taking?

High temperature in the aquatuner.

I have a farm dying due a water shortage and I have a pool with water at 70ºC

Neotuck    2319
1 minute ago, dankusnher said:

High temperature in the aquatuner.

I have a farm dying due a water shortage and I have a pool with water at 70ºC

aqua tuners need to be submerged in liquid or they overheat quickly.  

Most players submerge them in polluted water from their waste to help kill germs

dankusnher    0
44 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

aqua tuners need to be submerged in liquid or they overheat quickly.  

Most players submerge them in polluted water from their waste to help kill germs

Well, I put two aquatuners in a pool with pw, and the output was in 50ºC :/