Why All The Hate For Winona

On 7/7/2018 at 2:25 PM, Szczuku said:

Yea I agree. Developers really should've made some animation or puzzle about her. Even character quotes don't have anything interesting just "Hello". I'd expect at least Maxwell to have something interesting to say about her...

Even Maxwell needs a new animation in his chibi form. I hope the devs feature a new trailer with Winona na d chibi max to fill that void.

I agree with all that has been presented above regarding why wasn't winona that well received, and would like to add one more thing:

If winona was meant to be a female version of wilson, a new player friendly female char, wasn't that role already covered by Willow? 

Ever since willow's con was nerfed in DST,she mostly has very little to no downside. Lore wise she's always seen alongside Wilson in all the adventures, and gameplay wise, all new players struggle with not knowing how to raise the sanity, darkness, and nightmare creatures, all things covered by willows perks to handle all that easier from the start. 

I dont think winona adds anything particularly useful to new players, other than offering a cosmetic variety.

30 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

As time went on Winona really grew on me even though her abilities aren't AMAZING I love her and wouldn't want to play DST without her anymore :wilson_laugh:

I guess that's fair and completely understandable, I don't think anyone wants Winona gone, but I mean, if all of sudden you get a Winona that besides what she currently does, can also pick items with her faster animation (just like she did at the gorge) and as a unique skill to herself, can "repair combine" tools, weapons and armor, perhaps at the cost of an understandable and not super hard to bypass con, I'm pretty sure you'd like her even more, you'd be a lot more liked in a team due to her unique skills, and a lot more people would play her too.

Spoiler

If someone doesn't know what repair combine is, check out the mod's description. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=767776640 I meant that she gets the skill to do what that mod does for everyone. Perhaps at a cost of her tape, to make that item more useful too.

Technically speaking it would mean that she could extend the efficiency of used items, being a skill lore friendly to her crafty worker theme.
It would work well early game with tools if let's say, you have a 3% gold pickaxe, and use it to repair another 3% gold pickaxe and obtain one 100% gold pickaxe. 
Or lategame, you could use your 1% thulecite crown to repair another 2% thul crown, giving the repaired one 60% durability, and same for uncraftable items such as bee queen crowns or bone helmets, just to mention a few examples.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Technically speaking it would mean that she could extend the efficiency of used items, being a skill lore friendly to her crafty worker theme.
It would work well early game with tools if let's say, you have a 3% gold pickaxe, and use it to repair another 3% gold pickaxe and obtain one 100% gold pickaxe.

The mod doesn't actually work like that. Repairing a 3% gold pickaxe with another 3% gold pickaxe would just get you a gold pickaxe with 6%.

42 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The mod doesn't actually work like that. Repairing a 3% gold pickaxe with another 3% gold pickaxe would just get you a gold pickaxe with 6%.

Yeah I know, the mod is mostly for recycling, I meant it to balance the mechanic more as a utility without being completely broken, so Winona can fill a "role" in the team, as the repairwoman.

Regardless, it's an opinion example, in practice it's probably not the best change for her since I haven't tested it out. I'd love to see "something like that" though.

Archived