How to protect my Fish Farms from predators?

I've been getting into rushing Sea Bases in new Shipwrecked worlds lately, but recently I had a run-in where some Crocodogs spawned on my Fish Farms and plundered them all until they were empty. It was a full day since the last Croc attack, and I'm sure I was nowhere near enough to my base for these two to have wandered off during the confusion. Feeling stumped by this, I turned to the game files hoping to find an answer.

It took a while to find out what caused this, however I now think the Crocodogs were spawned by the "breeder.lua" file in the DLC002/scripts/components folder. Apparently the Fish Farms can lure both Crocodogs and Swordfish, depending on the ocean depth, at which point these mobs will attempt to harvest your Fish and eat them. 

I'm not sure what can be done to stop this from happening. Would building Sea Walls around the Fish Farm area prevent the predators from spawning inside? Is there something you can build that would be a good deterrent for them (I'm thinking Ballphin Palaces would be effective during daytime)?

I always thought that a morsel from my Prime Ape/Dragoon farm fell into the ocean and spawned ceockodogs. But if farms themselves really have a chance of spawning a predator then yes- ballphins should be the anwser

I got a really lucky Quacken kill next to the shore of my starting island in my current run, so I built my base around it:

20180706190546_1.thumb.jpg.d0282df7381da2a138e78eece79660f2.jpg

I'm hoping to add some more Ballphins and Farms eventually, but as of now I haven't experienced a predator attack this game. I really was hoping to have a stock of Purple Groupers by the time the Sealnado hit, but I've had nothing but Tropical Fish and Neon Quattro so far.

Hurricanes are normally the best time to Surf, so I wanted to get a bit of exploration done this season, though it sort of feels like I should reinforce my base against these Crocs. These Fish Farms are basically my main food source at the moment, so having something come in and steal them all is gonna be a major bummer.

Just to update this thread with some more info, Ballphin Palaces are definitely the correct choice. The Ballphins will instantly attack any predators if they're nearby, making your Fish Farms safe from harm. They'll also immediately aggro on any Floaty Boaty Knights that come knocking on your door, which can be quite helpful.

Also, I've updated my base layout (after losing the last world due to absurd overconfidence), and I think it works out a bit better:

20180709000207_1.thumb.jpg.f3b983b45948665a793bec08b05ca8eb.jpg

With everything closer together, the Sea Yard can repair my vessel while I fiddle with chests, craft, and cook food. As an added bonus, with my Fish Farms in the deeper Ocean like this, I've already gotten a Swordfish predator come snooping by for a free extra Cutlass!

I've only taken out one of each SW Boss so far in this current game, but I already feel like I'm learning a lot about making sea bases work. I think there's a ton of untapped potential here, it's really too bad there's not more topics about it.

Archived