Next Event Speculation Thread: The Verge

The Verge

"Oh your pitiful embers will flicker out eventually... along with your sanity."

beacon.thumb.png.75e6784938255c95a0c4628072e8fdea.png

spiketop.thumb.png.cd847990ed94aeca9bb557de76e89842.png

With the Ancient Key in their grasp, our survivors opened the portal and jumped into its mucky blackness. Hoping to be freed from this spiraling cycle, they find themselves sprawled beside shattered ruins of an identical portal. With no way to open it again, they must find another way out!

Keep the fire alive and your wits about you for as long as possible, while you search for another portal. Fight off shadow creatures and more in this vast shadowscape. Escape, before your sanity fails you.

You are on... the verge.

spikebottom.thumb.png.f5ae0c70cdaf1d248cb5a821e926c767.png

Since The Gorge was introduced, the chatter about what the next event would be has circled around the idea of it being a sanity challenge. Reasoning behind this is that The Forge was boiled down to a health challenge. Then Gorge is reduced to a hunger challenge. So the next event could be a sanity challenge! Right? Since those three are the main statuses we players have to mind when playing the game. Health, hunger and sanity.

Now, I won't take credit for the "the next event will be based around sanity" since everybody thought that when The Gorge appeared.

With that said, since that conversation has been around, an image popped into my head. The very same image at the top of this thread. Its a basic sketch of what I imagined the next event would be.

Lugging around a portable light tower with a tamed beefalo. Fighting off clusters of shadow hands and monsters. Possibly even new kinds of shadow creatures we've never seen before. Gathering what scarce resource is around to keep the fire alive. I'd hope to think one of the beefalos from The Gorge escapes with you so canonically they can exist in this realm too. They'd be tamed automatically since you've freed them from their eventual slaughter... that's reasonable, right?

Anyway, this is all purely speculation. I'm sure there is somebody else out there who thought of the same thing but I haven't delved into other people's speculation much, aside from the idea that the next event could be sanity based. I just wanted to throw this specific idea i had out there.

Do you like/dislike the idea? Wish to add anything to it? What's your take on the next event? Let's discuss our event ideas in broad strokes and minimize listing out specific details to keep it fun, short and simple.

Cheers!

Just one word.. wow. I'm thoroughly impressed, this is far more than I would've imagined for a next event. If this turned out to be true, oh lord. Also, Sanity based stuff always have the best skins, so I hope the next event truly is based around sanity. Sure, Gorge and Forge skins are cool, but nothing can touch nightmare stuff.

my opinion is next event can be building or crafting event because we saw simple mechanics exp: fightin / forge --- farming and cooking / gorge 

maybe next time we can see crafting or building evet also i like this idea but its less than gorge i guess maybe they can update forge like this but we'll see in future

Chess themed skins?

Got the idea from the picture and the fact that Charlie is like a chess player and the characters are the "pawns".

There are also nightmare creatures that appear when you destroy the chess pieces.

2 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

Chess themed skins?

Got the idea from the picture and the fact that Charlie is like a chess player and the characters are the "pawns".

There are also nightmare creatures that appear when you destroy the chess pieces.

I don't think there's enough chess pieces to do that, There is the Pawn, Rook, Knight, Bishop, King and Queen, Queen is obviously Charlie, King Maxwell

7 hours ago, Remps said:

my opinion is next event can be building or crafting event because we saw simple mechanics exp: fightin / forge --- farming and cooking / gorge 

maybe next time we can see crafting or building evet also i like this idea but its less than gorge i guess maybe they can update forge like this but we'll see in future

Event around crafting / building... that's a really interesting idea! Maybe an expanded version of the Moon Caller event in the base game. Wherein the survivors have to build/repair and protect a huge structure.

Yep, I'm sure the devs will show what they have in mind later on. Crossing my fingers for bits and pieces of hints in the eventual "The Gorge has ended" thread they'll post once the event is officially over. Like they did with The Forge.

@FuffledBeeQueen oh skins, hmmm. I've been racking my brain for a while but I can't come up with anything as interesting as what's already been mentioned (Chess Pieces, Nightmare)... but playing off from the Chess pieces idea, possibly something... medieval/middle ages. I know we have the Rose Collection which somewhat touches on that but I was thinking the possible skins would lean on the stereotypical medieval roles/characters.

Jester for Wes, pops into mind. Full Armored Knight for WX-78. Knight's Squire for Webber. Kingly attire for Maxwell (though if canonical, maybe worn down King). Court's Counselor for Wickerbottom. I'm blanking out on what the other characters would have in this kind of theme.

46 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

Event around crafting / building... that's a really interesting idea! Maybe an expanded version of the Moon Caller event in the base game. Wherein the survivors have to build/repair and protect a huge structure.

Yep, I'm sure the devs will show what they have in mind later on. Crossing my fingers for bits and pieces of hints in the eventual "The Gorge has ended" thread they'll post once the event is officially over. Like they did with The Forge.

@FuffledBeeQueen oh skins, hmmm. I've been racking my brain for a while but I can't come up with anything as interesting as what's already been mentioned (Chess Pieces, Nightmare)... but playing off from the Chess pieces idea, possibly something... medieval/middle ages. I know we have the Rose Collection which somewhat touches on that but I was thinking the possible skins would lean on the stereotypical medieval roles/characters.

Jester for Wes, pops into mind. Full Armored Knight for WX-78. Knight's Squire for Webber. Kingly attire for Maxwell (though if canonical, maybe worn down King). Court's Counselor for Wickerbottom. I'm blanking out on what the other characters would have in this kind of theme.

Hmm, altho this whole "Creepy" collection could come in handy here, like that Wendy concept art we got

latest?cb=20171005145156

This is amazing idea, and it makes sense if something similar would be the next event. The picture reminds me of FrostPunk (also victorian strategy game about society survival) and if the next event would arrive in december/january/february, they could replace christmas update with it.

Oh, I must've not been around when that popped up. This is the first time I've seen this. A creepy theme would be wonderful too. If my assumptions are right, maybe the next event would be around November, like last year's The Forge. Fitting for hallow's eve.

11 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I don't think there's enough chess pieces to do that, There is the Pawn, Rook, Knight, Bishop, King and Queen, Queen is obviously Charlie, King Maxwell

Ik, but here are a few possible solutions:

1. Some characters have the same skin.
  2. Instead of character skins it is actually hat/armor/other skins. So it could be possible to have a Knight Maxwell, Queen Wilson and a King Wes.
  3. They add archer or other medieval skins(character skins/item skins)

That's a pretty interesting theory and prediction for the next event.

As awesome as dark-themed skins always are, I'd be more interested in seeing an option to have shadow watchers/mr skits/crawling horrors/terrorbeaks appear with Tam o' Shanters/Top Hats/Garlands on just for the giggles.

Also, if they do include riding Beefalos, please don't make us have to spend 15-20 days to tame 1 before being able to use it for an event. Plz, Klei, hab merci on our poor souls.

13 hours ago, Zillvr said:

What did they hint at the end of the Forge? I don't remember anything about the Gorge before the GDPR leak update in May.

28 minutes ago, Extant said:

Also, if they do include riding Beefalos, please don't make us have to spend 15-20 days to tame 1 before being able to use it for an event. Plz, Klei, hab merci on our poor souls.

I'm pretty sure that if we'll use tamed beefalos, they will be already tamed or the process will be much faster and easier. Just like we didn't have to spend time crafting armor and weapons for the Forge I don't think we should spend two hours taming a beefalo. 

Unless, of course, if the event will be a beefalo-taming competition :p

2 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Unless, of course, if the event will be a beefalo-taming competition :p

No, deer-god, no. Plz, no, Klei. Haven't we suffered enuf already?

I made the mistake of trying my first domestication early in the game and it took forever because I was always low on food.

37 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

What did they hint at the end of the Forge? I don't remember anything about the Gorge before the GDPR leak update in May.

Oh nothing too specific about The Gorge at all. What I meant was back then people were anxious about The Forge becoming just a one off thing, but the "The Forge has ended!" thread gave us confirmation that Klei have plans of bringing back The Forge in the future. That's all. So I was kind of hoping for even more possible bits of new to be revealed at the end of The Gorge event too. I guess we'll see in a few days time.

I was thinking that if the next event was to be based around sanity, it'd be a fitting opportunity for Klei to make it revolve around the Screecher Mod they made for Don't Starve, but this idea is far better than what i anticipated!

Hmm... How would we get torches? If there is a merchant in the starting area what would be the currency? Wood? Charcoal?

Edit: The idea of medieval and chess skins sounds interesting, Wilson could be an alchemist Willow an medieval pyromaniac( couldn't find the medieval equivalent [There is an equivalent but isn't european,i think it was something related to flamethrowers-thingies in ships])Woody could be an villager/farmer, Winona could be an military engineer,Wolfgang an rifleman(depending if it is before the Gunpowder era) and Wigfrid an actress(Yes there was theatre at that time).

Maybe they could do an insane skin? It'd be pretty cool to see Wolfgang in a strait-jacket Houdini style or Wilson with frayed, shocked-on-end hair. That kind of theme. Just an idea, this is a really cool concept for an event though. Maybe some of this is actually what we'll get for the next event. This one hasn't even ended but i can't wait.

hey guys what about tower def gameplay ? we can build our towers or something like that and fight againts monsters also we can add sanity based also our keepers get a monster based costumes 

mad scientist wilson or vampire wilson/waxwell 

werewolfgang or werewolf woodie also they can be frankest monster too :D

Witcherbottom 

monster slayer wigfrid

like this but idk he had oldschool costumes too but whos know ?

54 minutes ago, Remps said:

hey guys what about tower def gameplay ? [...]

I like this idea, it sounds like fun! Also your skin ideas sound great :D

The only think I would change a bit is that instead of a tower defence we should build the tower ourselves and the waves were not (only) monsters, because the Forge was somewhat similar, but rather other challenges (natural attacks like earthquake, wildfires, insanity and shadow monsters, maybe even some Fuelweaver-like mind control that the other players have to counter). So the main focus weren't on fighting, even if monsters were involved, but rather on preparation and constructing, repairing and reacting to sudden situations.

Just my two cents to share. 

Archived