Is Mumsy senile, self-interested, or ambivalent?

minespatch

Mumsy is a interesting character: She doesn't seem to care about the pigs in the swamp(the complete opposite of the main game where the Merms usually live), she mentions about herself being a lamb when young versions of goats are usually called Kids(until the devs fix that phrase), but she's helpful to the starvers.

What kind of personality is Mumsy anyway?

Hmmm. I'm sure it's because it's a game and has to be that way, but she also charges you for cookware and pots despite wanting to help you.

"i want to help you! now...you have to actually purchase this stuff that's going to b e used to save us'

especially at the beginning xD where she even gives you money to use to give back to her. 

She definitely doesn't seem to care about the Pigs, i think it's a mix of ambivalent to those that could help her (the DST characters) and self-interested against the 'lesser species' that can't help her (the PIgs). Since the DST characters are useful and can help her, she helps them

1 hour ago, Jynn said:

self-interested against the 'lesser species' that can't help her

Rather than immediately going to rampant pig racism, wouldn't it make more sense to assume Mumsy doesn't help the Pigs since they refuse to feed the Gnaw? He's mermified their Elder, and their town was destroyed, so the Gnaw is obviously pissed at them.

56 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

Rather than immediately going to rampant pig racism, wouldn't it make more sense to assume Mumsy doesn't help the Pigs since they refuse to feed the Gnaw? He's mermified their Elder, and their town was destroyed, so the Gnaw is obviously pissed at them.

but how do we know they refused to feed the maw? We see them growing potatoes. Maybe they tried, but they're just not as good at cooking as Mumsy is. They dont' have all her fancy dishes or cookstations

xD and wouldn't a kindly old goat mum want to reach out to her poor neighbors, who had their village destroyed and their Elder mermified?  Maybe they don't know HOW to cook, just like we didn't. She could have tried to help the pigs

but it boils down to: We don't know the history or the story. We just know she's over there, and they're over on the other side, a sharp divide between goats and pigs

14 hours ago, Jynn said:

but how do we know they refused to feed the maw? We see them growing potatoes. Maybe they tried, but they're just not as good at cooking as Mumsy is. They dont' have all her fancy dishes or cookstations

xD and wouldn't a kindly old goat mum want to reach out to her poor neighbors, who had their village destroyed and their Elder mermified?  Maybe they don't know HOW to cook, just like we didn't. She could have tried to help the pigs

but it boils down to: We don't know the history or the story. We just know she's over there, and they're over on the other side, a sharp divide between goats and pigs

We can't judge that, we are most likely after the story and just assuming would be stupid. Without context, just play along, at some point more lore might drop, especially that mumsy and billy are traveling with us

17 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

We can't judge that, we are most likely after the story and just assuming would be stupid. Without context, just play along, at some point more lore might drop, especially that mumsy and billy are traveling with us

Honestly, I can see Klei making a cinematic where our travelers go through the portal, but Mumsy and Billy are stopped and possibly mermified (at least Mumsy would be mermified), I believe this more because on the Gorge trailer we don't actually see a total mermification (even though we see partial mermification), which is odd because of how important that part is to the event; unless they are saving it as a reason of why Mumsy and Billy couldn't go through the portal. I mean, with the Forge we already knew the Grand Boarrior's name and I think design (I think). Hope I am wrong though, would love to keep seeing them.

By the way, how is it possible for the players to turn instantly into a Merm at the end of the round. Supposedly Mumsy was there for years and still wasn't fully mermified. Wouldn't it be better if the players started the mermification at the start of the round, so with less time we look more like a Merm? I do know that we "fail", but isn't it funny that just when we enter through the portal the Gnaw is pissed and wants to merm as fast as possible?
Just a thought, nothing important, I think.

6 hours ago, Azuber said:

I find it unfair that Mumsy doesn't get mermified when the players fail to escape.

Reveal hidden contents

20180619235358_1.thumb.jpg.5740bd2d2f91418e9eb3c773542e96c7.jpg 

So we locked her up instead

She says that we distract Gnaw from her and Billy

13 hours ago, Letherm said:

By the way, how is it possible for the players to turn instantly into a Merm at the end of the round. Supposedly Mumsy was there for years and still wasn't fully mermified. Wouldn't it be better if the players started the mermification at the start of the round, so with less time we look more like a Merm? I do know that we "fail", but isn't it funny that just when we enter through the portal the Gnaw is pissed and wants to merm as fast as possible?

Good luck drawing this slow mermification process for all 12 characters for all the skins and for all the animations in the entire game :clap:
see you in the next year or so

On 6/29/2018 at 3:38 AM, Letherm said:

I think its more like a trial for newcomers, the gorge see new prospective servants and puts them through the ringer. When he loses his patience we judged unworthy, if we win then Mumsy shares the secret way out.

More like our actions makes the way out appear xD Mumsy talks about how if we do good enough, we might 'recharge the old key', which she has in her inventory. So she doesn't share the way out so much as let us purchase the key once it's charged.

I wonder why she's never managed to charge the key? She has the cookstations, the silver dishes, her fellow mermified-goats have the seeds and garden key. Everything you need to win the game can be gotten purely from all the goat NPCs, providing you have enough money and sapphire medallions. So i wonder what was keeping them from doing so?

7 hours ago, Jynn said:

More like our actions makes the way out appear xD Mumsy talks about how if we do good enough, we might 'recharge the old key', which she has in her inventory. So she doesn't share the way out so much as let us purchase the key once it's charged.

I wonder why she's never managed to charge the key? She has the cookstations, the silver dishes, her fellow mermified-goats have the seeds and garden key. Everything you need to win the game can be gotten purely from all the goat NPCs, providing you have enough money and sapphire medallions. So i wonder what was keeping them from doing so?

Perhaps the Gnaw thinks that Mumsy knows the way out, but doesn't have the key. Maybe she made Billy retrieve it for her, and hid it in hopes the Gnaw would one day drop favors to someone else.

That's why she needs us. We distract the Gnaw from seeing her use the favors to charge the Key.

Mumsy also seems to share some sort of strange connection to the Gnaw (She knows what it wants to eat, she knows when it's impatient, etc.), perhaps that's the reason for the scales she has, and why her curse doesn't appear to be affecting her nearly as badly.

Ultimately, I think Mumsy is most interested in saving herself and Billy, but she wants what's left of her dying world to escape as well. It is my private hope that after the Gatekeepers leave, she rounds up Sammy, Pipton, and the Pigs.

I'd like to think there was no animosity between goats and pigs xD but the sense i get form it is that there is a rift there, perhaps something from even before the Gnaw came to be. The Pigs are definitely more primitive, with just a basic cookfire, more stunted speech patterns, not dealing in actual money but instead in a item trade system instead

the goats have the fancy cookstations, they can tap trees for syrup, they have silver dishes, they deal in currency and have a actual sale system set up in their civilization. Even the rubble of their houses looks more advanced. They speak better, dress better. Ultimately it does feel like advanced civiliation and their more primitive neighbors

judging by the potato patch and hte little cookfire, i do think the pigs tried to feed the Gnaw. But probably only served him burnt potato, hence the destruction of their town and their cursed elder

On 30.06.2018 at 1:55 AM, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Good luck drawing this slow mermification process for all 12 characters for all the skins and for all the animations in the entire game :clap:

Doesn't have to be slow. It could have just been singular body parts copy pasted for every character.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:00 AM, Szczuku said:

She says that we distract Gnaw from her and Billy

That kind of leans to a sociopathic side of her personality.:wilson_shocked:

On 6/29/2018 at 7:55 PM, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I hope they bring back the gorge in the future so we could see that happen. Imagine all the fanart with the new designs.

On 7/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, deathofbarney said:

Its also possible that Mumsy lacked the creativity to make dishes that are favor inducing, just because she has the tools doesn't mean she can use them to max effect.

I guess it's a chance for the main cast and Mumsy to learn recipies together, hence the creation of the recipe book(in-world reason). Would be a interesting view on Mumsy's character.

Archived