Problems with the dedicated server.

Hello.

I apologize in advance for bad English and the volume of the message.

I would like to hear an answer about these problems from the Don't Starve Together developers themselves.

I had my first dedicated server in 2015. It worked an home PC on the system with AMD Athlon II X3 440 (3Ghz), 4GB DDR3, HD6770, HDD, win 7 - worked perfectly, there were no problems with performance and with connection never.

Then I changed my residence several times changing providers, who provided rather poor quality communication services, i learned about the need for open port 10889 for the server's visibility in the server list.
Problem with port 10889 could not be solved, because the port was closed from the provider and nothing could be done about it. In view of circumstances, it is also impossible to change the provider itself.

Ultimately, I came to the fact that I rented a virtual dedicated server to install the client "Do not starve along with the dedicated server" to enjoy the game in DST to the fullest, without any problems.

Before renting a virtual dedicated server, I was looking for information about the system requirements for Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server. Found only the following information - each server - the master and caves require 400 MB of RAM each, for each player, an additional 65 MB of RAM is required. But nowhere could I find the requirements for the CPU. In one forum was read, on Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz during the rain frogs observed lags.

Based on this information, I chose the following equipment for a virtual dedicated server(VDS):
Intel Xeon E5-2690 x4 2.9 Ghz, ECC DDR3 4Gb, 40 Gb SSD(of which 10 GB of free space), outbound connection about ~50 Mbps, incoming connection ~100mbps, Windows Server 2016 Datacenter.

In the system was installation:
Google Chrome
Steam
Don't Starve Together
Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server

Other programs, in addition to the standard from Microsoft is not installed.

Windows firewall was configured to fully allow work for Steam, Don't Starve Together and Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server, and rules were created for resolving incoming and outgoing connections on ports 10889, 10999, 10899, 11000, 11001 using TCP and UDP protocols.

Immediately after starting the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in this VDS, I found that the server was seen in the server list, ping 16, everything is working and there are no problems.

In the settings of the client of the dedicated server, everything is absolutely completely standard, without mods and changes, the maximum number of players is 8.

Everything is fine.

Then the problems started.
Even when playing on the server only 1 player was very laggy. Yellow-red indicators - host performance: bad.

In advance I want to say - no, I'm not stupid enough to run Don't Starve Together on VDS, in which there is no video card and play it - I did not do it. Played only with a home PC.

To solve the problem, the following steps were taken:
Win 2016 DC was completely reinstalled. I disabled the start of extra services in the system to optimize its operation. Re-installed Steam, Don't Starve Together, Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server. I started the server - the problem remained the same - host performance: bad.

Then I ordered another VDS from the same host in the same data center with the same characteristics (Intel Xeon E5-2690 x4 2.9 Ghz, ECC DDR3 4Gb, 40 Gb SSD(of which 10 GB of free space), outbound connection about ~50 Mbps, incoming connection ~100mbps, Windows Server 2016 Datacenter), only the IP address changed.

In the new Win 2016 DC, I installed all the latest Windows updates (I did not do this before). Has again installed Steam, Don't Starve Together, Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server. Started the server - the problem remained the same - host performance: bad.

Moreover, a new problem was added - the server is now not visible in the server list. In the support of the hoster, I was told 2 times (yes, I'm very persistent) that they do not close port 10889. To solve a new problem, I disconnected the windows defender, added permissions for ports and Steam in the windows firewall. It did not help. 
Then I reinstalled the Steam, Don't Starve Together, Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server. Re-created all the files of the dedicated server in the MyDediServer folder and bin. It did not help.
Tried to change the cluster token and ports in MyDediServer \ Master \ server.ini and MyDediServer \ Caves \ server.ini - it did not help.
Tried to completely disconnect windows firewall. It did not help.
Removed the Windows updates that were previously installed - and this also did not help.

Now my server does not appear in the server list. And I do not know what the problem may be.

I do not know why Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server works badly on such a seemingly specialized and powerful server.

This VDS I have rented for almost 10 days, but I can not get Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server to normal work properly on it.

I'm thinking about changing the VDS hoster and choosing equipment for the server even more powerful.

But what exactly to choose? What equipment does the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server need to work without problems? How many GHz CPUs need? Core? RAM? Free place on HDD or SSD? What OS? Do I need a video card? Which firm should the CPU be - Intel or Amd?

And what should I do to make my dedicated server visible again in the server list?

I have no answers to these questions. I wait for them from you.

Archived