[Game Update] - 274778

42 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

Yes, but they're in contact with the rocks for a very short amount of time so they're not hard to cool with a corner conductor and some passive cooling outside of the chamber (in my case a few wheezeworts is enough)

What is "corner conductor"? Some cooling technique?

On 26/06/2018 at 4:45 PM, Prince Mandor said:

What is "corner conductor"? Some cooling technique?

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on these. It's been a busy couple of days. Yes, a 'corner conductor' is a way of conducting heat through insulated tiles in a controlled way. It's normally used to cool gas pumps that are pumping gasses above 125 Celsius but I'm using it to cool the sweeper arm;

image.thumb.png.ba33aa2a221667fa19f3529a5727edee.png

Those little grooves in the ceiling have tempshift plates in them. Since tempshift plates cover a 3x3 area they are able to conduct heat between the oil pools and the outside world. The volcano chamber is a vacuum so the only cooling in there comes from that regolith conveyor rail. Technically speaking, I don't need to use insulated tiles for the ceiling as the vacuum prevents any of the volcanic heat going up there anyway. I could have just used normal or metal tiles. However this was my first attempt at this build and I didn't really consider that when laying out the walls and now it's not worth changing it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

... Those little grooves in the ceiling have tempshift plates in them. Since tempshift plates cover a 3x3 area they are able to conduct heat between the oil pools and the outside world. ....

Great idea! 

Tepshift plates working diagonally -- never think about it.

Another questiuon, I see set of 3 open doors What is their purpose?

And how you cool magma to rock? Did conveyor transports something cold?

Just now, Prince Mandor said:

Great idea! 

Tepshift plates working diagonally -- never think about it.

Another questiuon, I see set of 3 open doors What is their purpose?

And how you cool magma to rock? Did conveyor transports something cold?

the sweeper arms don't cover 100% of the ground area so those doors can be manually toggled closed/open to push some of the rock out to the sweeper covered areas. It works fine without them but I wanted to get all the rock out for my hatches.

That conveyor rail contains regolith shipped down from the surface. It heats up as magma cools and eventually it melts into magma as well, increasing the overall mass I get from the system. It's a bit exploit-y as it also increases the overall thermal energy from the system, but I found designing it all to be a fun challenge and my stone hatched don't complain about getting 3 hot meals a day.

1 minute ago, JonnyMonroe said:

That conveyor rail contains regolith shipped down from the surface. It heats up as magma cools and eventually it melts into magma as well, increasing the overall mass I get from the system. It's a bit exploit-y as it also increases the overall thermal energy from the system, but I found designing it all to be a fun challenge and my stone hatched don't complain about getting 3 hot meals a day.

So, if regolith become magma, what cools it after that? More regolith?

So, if regolith become magma, what cools it after that? More regolith?

yep. The beauty of conveyor loops is that new material won't enter the loop until old material melts off it so the average temperature of the loop is always below the melting temperature.

image.thumb.png.76e85f9b5969ce6d934c8c892480c044.png

8 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

yep. The beauty of conveyor loops is that new material won't enter the loop until old material melts off it so the average temperature of the loop is always below the melting temperature. ...

Great!

I hope, you are not tired from my questions, and from my bad english.

As I see it is oil evaporator below. How long it must be to cool NatGas to 120C ? (I understand it can be snaked any way) I see 2 rows of 7 sparced tepshifts, Is it enought?

I try to calculate needed length and have strange results -- in theory it must heat oil faster, than it cools gas

Great!

I hope, you are not tired from my questions, and from my bad english.

As I see it is oil evaporator below. How long it must be to cool NatGas to 120C ? (I understand it can be snaked any way) I see 2 rows of 7 sparced tepshifts, Is it enought?

I try to calculate needed length and have strange results -- in theory it must heat oil faster, than it cools gas

It isn't cooled that much. Not even close;

image.thumb.png.80abba0d006eba7cb25df8f4c0ba5572.png

I'm using a corner cooler to keep the pump cold while the gas it pumps is hot.

12 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

It isn't cooled that much. Not even close; ...

But does it cool at all?

Or is this really exotermic process slowlly heating all oil you puit inside without additional heat?

As I understand you heat bottom metal plates with red hot igneous rock on conveyour from vulcano?