Major issues with Dedicated Servers

I rent 7 servers and ever since The Gorge I cannot see half of them.  I've reset everything on my end several times and some of the servers simply don't show on the list.  Even when I manually attempt to connect the connection is refused.  Many other people in my group can see the servers I can't and they can connect to it through the Don't Starve Client.  Even if I try to join them through steam the connection fails.  At the same time I can see and join servers other people cannot.   

What's going on?  Is the Gorge too much stress for Klei Servers?

No need to write in constant fat text. It won't make people notice what you wrote in any way more than normal text would.

What I know of is that Klei lately had issues with the steam api for joining servers. So joining over the Steam friendslist for example doesn't always work.

Are you running any mods on your servers? Because these events are known for breaking mods, etc. Are you running any mods on your client?

Are your manual attempts to connect using

c_connect(<ip>,<port>,"password")

from the main menu? If not try that one as well.

Edit: If you only had the issues for about 14 hours as of now, it might be due to Steam's summer sale going on, and the Steam servers being vastly overloaded, while Klei's servers use the steam api as well.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Daniel86268 said:

No need to write in constant fat text. It won't make people notice what you wrote in any way more than normal text would.

tenor.gif?itemid=5077955

On 6/22/2018 at 3:53 AM, Redakted said:

What's going on?  Is the Gorge too much stress for Klei Servers?

One of the most common issues that makes servers "disappear" from the list (or deny direct connection) is version mismatch. The game client is constantly update by Steam whenever there are updates, while servers are (usually) updated only when restarted (if the steamcmd app validate command is executed before starting the server).

Given that there are quite many frequent updates with improvements and bugfixes for The Gorge event, I'd suggest checking the game version on your servers (or run the update command directly and see if they show up). 

I know it sounds a bit "unlikely" but I've seen it happening quite a few times when I had a server running (and I was playing on it), then take a few hours pause (close game client, leave server running) only to come back and see the server was missing from the list. Luckly Steam would give it away showing that it downloaded updates for the game. 

I wrote in large text because I literally could not see the text from mobile. 

Anyway, both of your suggestions are great preliminary fixes.  Sadly none of those are the issue.  I can't wait for the Gorge to be over with.

Archived