8 Dish Gorge Solo Guide - RNG-Proof/Non-Character-Specific

Extant

Hello again buddy! 

I didn't try this guide on solo run yet, but I followed your lil' advice and motivation on the "Thank you Devs" thread ;)
So I've been teaching level 10 below players lately using this guide since it easy to handle whenever there's lateness. 
I haven't manage to Thank you for this guide properly yet. So yea, Thank you soo much Extant:wilson_love:
You've been a very great person. Though my only worries now is what's going happen next after the Gorge event ended.
Surely I will miss ya. 

4 minutes ago, Amiexa said:

Hello again buddy! 

I didn't try this guide on solo run yet, but I followed your lil' advice and motivation on the "Thank you Devs" thread ;)
So I've been teaching level 10 below players lately using this guide since it easy to handle whenever there's lateness. 
I haven't manage to Thank you for this guide properly yet. So yea, Thank you soo much Extant:wilson_love:
You've been a very great person. Though my only worries now is what's going happen next after the Gorge event ended.
Surely I will miss ya. 

Not a problem at all. The only reason why I created this forum account was to help others out with my knowledge of the event since I fumbled around so much during the beta.

I play a lot of DST, but I joined very late into the game. Since it was already out for a long while, there were a lot of guides for it. Coming into the new event (and my first DST limited-time event), I then realized what it felt like to desire guidance.

Then I came across your thread and received the help I needed from you and all the others. It was then I decided to take initiative and help others out with what I learned as well.

I'm glad that I got to meet you and a lot of other people on the forums. I honestly don't socialize enough and I suppose I really should. I'm not entirely sure what will become of me either after the event is over.

Well, whatever happens when it's all said and done, I wish you and all the other helpful/fun people out there the best in your lives! Have a great weekend and take care of yourself. Don't forget to not starve!

I ran out of time :(

I had the worst luck, bread... I dont use mods so I had to recheck what he was craving for, salt, etc....

I wish Klei would add more time to solo runs, it was my first time trying this out and my 2nd time cooking. Also using a controller so I had another disadvantage that I can't pick a 5th item with mouse. I'm trying to practice so when this update comes to console, I will be ready... I dont have any friends to play on console, neither on Steam.. it's been hard and yolo quick match has been loss after loss but at least i get some xp.

X3Y3Jf0.png

11 minutes ago, ItsPirrip said:

I ran out of time :(

I had the worst luck, bread... I dont use mods so I had to recheck what he was craving for, salt, etc....

I wish Klei would add more time to solo runs, it was my first time trying this out and my 2nd time cooking. Also using a controller so I had another disadvantage that I can't pick a 5th item with mouse. I'm trying to practice so when this update comes to console, I will be ready... I dont have any friends to play on console, neither on Steam.. it's been hard and yolo quick match has been loss after loss but at least i get some xp.

X3Y3Jf0.png

Ah, so using a controller only allows up to 4 items to be picked. That's a key detail that I should note.

Don't worry about it, I don't expect any newcomers to solo runs (not even experienced ones) to be able to nail this on the 1st try. It's possible, but not probable especially for those who are new to the chef role and haven't cooked items before.

A minimum amount of practice is required to succeed so don't feel bad. I must've done close to 50 runs in the beta with limited information and out-of-date strategies and I failed every match but one.

I'm not sure how much more difficult it is to use a controller as opposed to a keyboard, but I'm sure it's feasible. Don't give up and I'll cheer for you from the sidelines!

I guess I should also add that I still don't use any mods for The Gorge. I never have and I never will. I'm no casual gamer, but I'm certainly not competitive either. If I can do it with no mods, so can you. Good luck!

1 minute ago, Extant said:

Ah, so using a controller only allows up to 4 items to be picked. That's a key detail that I should note.

Don't worry about it, I don't expect any newcomers to solo runs (not even experienced ones) to be able to nail this on the 1st try. It's possible, but not probable especially for those who are new to the chef role and haven't cooked items before.

A minimum amount of practice is required to succeed so don't feel bad. I must've done close to 50 runs in the beta with limited information and out-of-date strategies and I failed every match but one.

I'm not sure how much more difficult it is to use a controller as opposed to a keyboard, but I'm sure it's feasible. Don't give up and I'll cheer for you from the sidelines!

Thanks, I play with controller because I have extreme difficulties playing with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes the controller glitches out, I'm not sure if this is due to me chatting in-game too much or not but it stopped working during a few normal matches and i was super slow using the keyboard and mouse. I find it with controller much faster. And yes, with controller, I can't pick up a 5th item, I've seen users using the cursor to pick up a 5th item with controllers,we can't do that... I'm trying to learn this so I can play and do well in console version because its my main for games :)

I will try to be a chef in normal matches and learn to cook better and retry solo xD

3 minutes ago, ItsPirrip said:

Thanks, I play with controller because I have extreme difficulties playing with a mouse and keyboard. Sometimes the controller glitches out, I'm not sure if this is due to me chatting in-game too much or not but it stopped working during a few normal matches and i was super slow using the keyboard and mouse. I find it with controller much faster. And yes, with controller, I can't pick up a 5th item, I've seen users using the cursor to pick up a 5th item with controllers,we can't do that... I'm trying to learn this so I can play and do well in console version because its my main for games :)

I will try to be a chef in normal matches and learn to cook better and retry solo xD

It's not a huge deal-breaker if you can't pick up a 5th item. All that means is that you have to spend another 15 seconds or so to go back to one of the safes to pick up one more item.

If you can only hold 4 items, I'd advise bringing 2 plates, 1 bowl, and either the large cook pot or large casserole dish (you only need 1 of them, not both since you can buy 1). It's possible that you don't need a 2nd bowl if you do not get cheese craving for #8. If you do get it, you simply have to go back to the safe that had the spare bowl in it.

3 minutes ago, Extant said:

It's not a huge deal-breaker if you can't pick up a 5th item. All that means is that you have to spend another 15 seconds or so to go back to one of the safes to pick up one more item.

If you can only hold 4 items, I'd advise bringing 2 plates, 1 bowl, and either the large cook pot or large casserole dish (you only need 1 of them, not both since you can buy 1). It's possible that you don't need a 2nd bowl if you do not get cheese craving for #8. If you do get it, you simply have to go back to the safe that had the spare bowl in it.

okay, thank you. when I lost, I was cooking tomato soup, do you know the amount of wood is needed for this entire run? I think maybe I should try either as woody (chop all the woods needed for the entire run in the first round) or WX (because he walks faster, I think). I got a little scared to go chop woods during cooking, because its easier for things to burn...

2 minutes ago, ItsPirrip said:

okay, thank you. when I lost, I was cooking tomato soup, do you know the amount of wood is needed for this entire run? I think maybe I should try either as woody (chop all the woods needed for the entire run in the first round) or WX (because he walks faster, I think). I got a little scared to go chop woods during cooking, because its easier for things to burn...

Usually around 29-30 if you want to cook things at their maximum speed.

If you get fast enough, you should basically keep the cook pot's fire at tier1-2 by the time you prepare the next meal so you can even cut it down to about 25-26, but that requires practice and memorization.

On a side note, here are the dishes that tend to cook fast.

• Tomato Soup
  • Scone

These cook very fast.

• Bread
  • Macaroni and Cheese

These cook with average time.

• Stone Soup
  • Potato Soup
  • Fist Full of Jam

These cook slow

• Meatballs
  • Fish Stew
  • Jelly Roll
  • Creamy Fettuccine

And these cook really slow

• Pizza
  • Creamy Fish
  • Cheesecake

1 minute ago, Extant said:

Usually around 29-30 if you want to cook things at their maximum speed.

If you get fast enough, you should basically keep the cook pot's fire at tier1-2 by the time you prepare the next meal so you can even cut it down to about 25-26, but that requires practice and memorization.

Thanks! I actually had the "difficult" guide printed out lol. it was much easier to understand that one and since I dont use the keyboard, I had the notes on top of my laptop's keyboard and I was following the recipes while looking at the notes but yeah, it does take practice to memorize everything.. the only thing I can memorize without looking at the notes is the first and second meal xD

29 minutes ago, ItsPirrip said:

Thanks! I actually had the "difficult" guide printed out lol. it was much easier to understand that one and since I dont use the keyboard, I had the notes on top of my laptop's keyboard and I was following the recipes while looking at the notes but yeah, it does take practice to memorize everything.. the only thing I can memorize without looking at the notes is the first and second meal xD

I'm currently working at the moment but, when I'm free, I could offer to show you how I handle my solo runs.

I should get off in about 2 hours or so and I could set-up a server for The Gorge.

If you're free as well for the next 3-4 hours, I'll send you the password when I put the server up.

8 minutes ago, Extant said:

I'm currently working at the moment but, when I'm free, I could offer to show you how I handle my solo runs.

I should get off in about 2 hours or so and I could set-up a server for The Gorge.

If you're free as well for the next 3-4 hours, I'll send you the password when I put the server up.

Cool, but it will be around 12am-1am my time and I have to sleep because I have summer school :( but thank you for the offer, very kind of you ^_^

Just now, ItsPirrip said:

Cool, but it will be around 12am-1am my time and I have to sleep because I have summer school :( but thank you for the offer, very kind of you ^_^

No problem. Sleep is much more important and I wish you good luck with the run and chests!

Hi, everyone. I'm pretty sure this post will get merged with my prior one, but this is a fairly large update and worth trying to comment on.

I've just changed a great portion of my guide and edited some steps on meal #4, meal #5, and changed meal #6 to be shooter sandwich for meat/bread, meal #7 to be macaroni and cheese, and meal #8 to be either scone or trifle (depending on what you got for meal #6).

I've archived the older version of my guide at the bottom of the first post in case people prefer the old ways, but I believe it's worth learning the new ways especially if you're farming for experience.

I managed to win in under 15 minutes with this new path which is a significant time saver. For anyone who is not familiar with how to maximize experience, the faster you do the run the better it is (exp-wise).

Again, if you prefer the old ways, that's fine as well. I don't think there will be anymore major changes from now on unless Klei updates something.

Have fun and don't forget to not starve!

16 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Maybe it's just me but the potatos in the pig village don't rot. It's best to leave one alone and take three for the veggie portion.

Yup, they don't rot unlike the crops players plant.

I only recommend picking up 3 to save the 4th in case you want to utilize it later. Good catch though.

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That's what I do these days. Unfortunately some foragers hand me all four at once.57a54933963ed_arielsweats.png.7e7d7f360bc047ce1e14cd4d6acd52e6.png

Oof. At least none of the other dishes besides #2 use potatoes.

I'd be a little more concerned if they requested unlocking more recipes by the time you got all 3 favors though.

6 minutes ago, SkyToFly said:

Forgot "3. Put on silver bowl" here:

IMG_20180704_223946.jpg

Thank you for the catch. I could have sworn I had that step listed before.

I must have deleted it by accident when I put in the fast cooking warning.

5 minutes ago, SkyToFly said:

I made a Steam guide for the Russian-speaking community based on your guide here, there is a link to this page and a link to your profile, hope you don't mind.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1430272344

Screenshot_2018-07-04-23-22-46-402_com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community.png

Oh, thank you for the translation work! I know that this game has a diverse community and people from all over the world enjoy it.

I don't mind at all and the more people we can help, the better. Thanks for your time and I hope others can benefit from it.

Archived