Gorge Lore(ge)

Catteflyterpill

So, like the Forge, a lot of Lore is getting dropped. I'm making this thread to piece together the story. Mumsy (the goat mom) ask if we're "Gatekeepers" sometimes and also states that another like us went through the portal. She also remarks that our presence takes the Gnaw's attention. Any comments or other findings?

Mumsy mentions Gatekeepers as well: "Are you... Gatekeepers, by chance?"

Also, the Gnaw's been around for at least a generation or so: "The Gnaw's been around since I was just a lamb."

EDIT: I don't have the exact lines right now, but it seems that Sammy and Pipton are exceptions in being able to keep their minds after mermification, and even so, Sammy's grasp on full sentience is starting to slide a bit.

5 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Mumsy mentions one "like us" passing through here. The shop merm accessible in the starting area is said to have once been a goat by Billy.

Thanks for telling that.

( when you are too slow and tell someone the secret )

11 hours ago, Rily said:

another little detail are the merms, if pigs came from the forge maybe the merms come from the gorge, so, bunnymen are next?

about the Bunnyman. I think they come from the ruin

the rabbit eat that "shadow" carrot and turn into the bunny man

image.png.2ee008968472c80334ca5cc4583b580c.png image.png.9b50d754e84b41665c26c5d8f60b5326.png image.png.498a9094eaf64f63bde912edef601df1.png

I did a quick runthrough of the Swamp Pig stuff, and the general idea seems to be that the goats generally neglect them, as they comment on how "weird" or "different" the PC's are, while also sometimes calling them "nice". The Swamp Pig Elder sums it up: "HRF! MOST GOATS NO HELP TO PIGS".

Also, the reason the Elder wants wood as trading currency is because they're trying to fix their houses.

3 hours ago, SpikeGuy said:

Also, the reason the Elder wants wood as trading currency is because they're trying to fix their houses.

Reminds me of both Three Little Pigs and Billy Goats Gruff. So... Are the pigmen trying to gentrify their land while the goats are higher class?

22 hours ago, minespatch said:

Reminds me of both Three Little Pigs and Billy Goats Gruff. So... Are the pigmen trying to gentrify their land while the goats are higher class?

I think that the goats are working on their own, making their own food to prevent the Gnaw's wrath, while the pigs are doing their own thing. Maybe scared and unsure of what to do? It seems that they are more focused on reconstruction, all the structures seem devastated probably from the Gnaw or mass anarchy. 

The Gatekeepers are what interests me the most. 

During the Forge where this name was dropped for the first time, we didn't know for sure if we are the Gatekeepers, and what these actually are. 

With the Gorge it's absolutely confirmed that we indeed are Gatekeepers. But we still have no idea what this really means. We do not even know what are we participating in. 

This whole scenario seems like some kind of tournament where different teams must compete / pass challenges in order to advance. Most likely only one team can win, and I assume that the winners get to meet the Shadow Masters but there is no evidence towards it .

Still, are the Gatekeepers because we are representing Charlie in this tournament? Because we come from the constant? Because we once lived on Earth? Or maybe we are unknowingly defending the Shadow Masters from other challengers?

I really wish we got some more info on the whole Gatekeeper thing

Okay, so I was looking at the character portraits, and the one of the cemetery says that several goat lives were claimed by the Gnaw. I thought the Gnaw just mermified people, does that mean that the worshipers (also described in another portrait) killed them? Maybe goats were fed to the Gnaw, maybe mermification has a different effect on goats, or maybe they were killed off because the merms became hostile? It seems strange that only Billy and Mumsy remain, maybe they were the best cooks or the remains of a gradually failing world? It would seem that it would be the latter as Mumsy had time to grow and have a child.

5b25bf99ddad1_SpoiledWyrm.thumb.jpg.66959c5ab78cb943d380aa8c231ea0e2.jpg

QUAGMIRE_ANNOUNCE_LOSE = “N-nice sky wyrm… Uh-oh.”

The Gnaw is not a worm, but a wyrm, as in, a giant limbless dragon capable of flight.

Very interesting. It threatens to spread disease to the inhabitants of the world so as to satisfy its eternal hunger.

I imagine it cannot travel through the portal itself, so once Mumsy gathers the inhabitants of the Quagmire, the Constant will likely claim the world, and the Gnaw with it.

Pipton makes a comment on how the transformed all made their way into the Ocean, which makes me believe that the creatures that are in the Constant are just generations of Merms streaming in. Or maybe there's an underwater civilization of Merms? It might explain how Merms ended up in the Constant.

5 hours ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

QUAGMIRE_ANNOUNCE_LOSE = “N-nice sky wyrm… Uh-oh.”

The Gnaw is not a worm, but a wyrm, as in, a giant limbless dragon capable of flight.

Very interesting. It threatens to spread disease to the inhabitants of the world so as to satisfy its eternal hunger.

I imagine it cannot travel through the portal itself, so once Mumsy gathers the inhabitants of the Quagmire, the Constant will likely claim the world, and the Gnaw with it.

Wyrm can also just mean worm as well. My fantasy bias kicked in so I made the same conclusion but it might not be accurate.

This is a bit off-track, but Winona's line for the Ancient Gateway in the Elder Bog (the Mossy Gateway) pretty much confirms why she went portal-hopping from Earth in the first place: "I might not be good at rescue missions."

On 6/17/2018 at 2:50 AM, Catteflyterpill said:

Pipton makes a comment on how the transformed all made their way into the Ocean, which makes me believe that the creatures that are in the Constant are just generations of Merms streaming in. Or maybe there's an underwater civilization of Merms? It might explain how Merms ended up in the Constant.

So could the Gorge be before Wilson's timeline?

On 6/17/2018 at 3:09 AM, Zeklo said:

Wyrm can also just mean worm as well. My fantasy bias kicked in so I made the same conclusion but it might not be accurate.

Yeah, could be a reference to the Gnaw being a massive wormhole. They even have wormhole as a emote you can unlock.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

So could the Gorge be before Wilson's timeline?

Yeah, could be a reference to the Gnaw being a massive wormhole. They even have wormhole as a emote you can unlock.

Maybe there is just a constant (HA) stream of Merms coming from the Quagmire. Who's to say that is the only island on the entire world?

That's also possible... but where does the other end of the wormhole lead, then? And maybe the wormhole are really tiny dragons underground. Tiny two-headed dragons... (Probably not.)

Some backstory tidbits:

Webber mentions a mill in his Wheat line- "If only I were back at the mill.".

Wickerbottom talks about being involved with a bookmobile when examining Sammy's Wagon- "Reminds me of my bookmobile days."

Willow also talks about a "Great Fire" in one of her Dilapidated House lines- "It's like there was a Great Fire, without the fire.". (Can somebody check to see which fire that is? All I could come up with was the Great Chicago Fire (1871) and Great Fire of London (1666). I found this list on Wikipedia, but there's a lot of stuff to sort through.)

I'm still curious on how exactly Winona discovered that Charlie was still alive after the earthquake, since she thought her sister was dead at one point (her Tragedy Marble Statue quote is "We thought she was gone..." Also, who are the other people included in the "we", and how are they reacting to Winona disappearing as well? (The answer to the second part is probably "not too well")). After all, you simply don't launch "rescue missions" (that you "might not be good at") without knowing that the person you're after is out there and alive in the first place.

Moving on, most of the things we know about Gatekeepers comes from Pugna's lines. He calls the players Gatekeepers, and makes various comments about them. There's "Do you understand the forces you serve?" followed by "... They destroy all They touch." (and "But They Themselves are untouchable. Unknowable." in the beta). He also describes being defeated by apparent Gatekeepers "felled by the Throne's lapdogs". I still don't know if that throne in question is the Nightmare Throne or something else, but that Throne is associated with Them. This connects to an unused quote from the "Magic Shadow Curio Dealer" (or something like that) that goes "[Chortle] You mortals have been quite enamored with the throne, haven't you?". So, not much on the Throne now.

20180621020111_1.thumb.jpg.258ad557f88bb490980d32978be3a538.jpg

Soo Sammy and Pipton used to be goats.... 

check out these quotes by Sammy and Pipton:

"Been havin' odd cravings for fish lately. Hmf."

"At least the sickness didn't take my moustatche. Ho ho!"

- the plague also transformed all the goats into merms except for Mumsy.. even Billy's friends: 

"Mumsy says my friends can't come out to play."

This is also confirmed by Pipton: "Many of our sick disappeared into the sea. Odd, that."  (Maybe refering to the swamp area where the merms travel to the DST world.. they probs traveled via swamp ponds)

- the pigs are afflicted too. The Elder is clearly delusionally day dreaming and starting to transform into a merm.. check arm to your left 

latest?cb=20180616202246

- Mumsy seems to be starting to change too... scales are starting to replace her lower arms and body

latest?cb=20180616060109. She looks much different compared to Billylatest?cb=20180616234039 in his tender age

(maybe 7-10? (uniform and language)

- It seems that the older the inhabitants of the Gorge are, the more affected they get by the plague by gradually forgetting who they are and who their friends were

"Thoughts don't come to me like they used to." Sammy

"Who's Mumsy again? Ah, right. Nice lady." Sammy

Maybe this is what makes them migrate "into the sea"

- Now.. the Gatekeepers concept....  I think that the portal opens to parallel universes where one event changed the outcome of the world order. Last parallel world was reigned by the Pigs, this one is plagued by the merm curse and ruled by the insatiable Gnall. We will see which world awaits for the next event

On 6/19/2018 at 8:35 PM, SpikeGuy said:

Willow also talks about a "Great Fire" in one of her Dilapidated House lines- "It's like there was a Great Fire, without the fire.". (Can somebody check to see which fire that is? All I could come up with was the Great Chicago Fire (1871) and Great Fire of London (1666). I found this list on Wikipedia, but there's a lot of stuff to sort through.)

I think Willow is referring to the San Francisco fires after the April 1906 earthquake which in the Don't Starve lore is the date of the Final Act. Willow has a concept for an orphan skin too as well as the Street Peddler skin for the event and I've always sort of thought that Willow may have lost her parents in the fires. 

Archived