[CRITICAL] Failed to save file

Hi,

I get this when I ban someone on my server:

[01:04:03]: RemoteCommandInput: "TheNet:Ban(AllPlayers[1].userid)"
[01:04:03]: [Ban] (KU_xxxxxxxx) [Host] banned (KU_xxxxxxxx) xxxx
[01:04:03]: [CRITICAL] Failed to save file: /home/dst/.klei//DoNotStarveTogether/MyDediServer2/blocklist.txt
[01:04:03]: [CRITICAL] Fingerprint:lhrjsjvnukdggkfltioqfhgigfnnnpeipdjlioijlhrjsjvnikdggkflhhoqfhgipgnnnpeijhjlioijkhrjsjvnxkdggkfluioqfhgiofnnnpeiddjlioijlhrjsjvntodggkflmkoqfhgiefnnnpeiifjlioijldrjsjvnijdggkflhjoqfhgipgnnnpeildjlioijgerjsjvnkjdggkflnioqfhgipinnnpeijdjlioijddrjsjvnjkdggkflmhoqfhgilfnnnpeipdjlioijgerjsjvntodggkflvkoqfhgikgnnnpeiofjlioijbdrjsjvnikdggkflrioqfhgiqinnnpeipdjlioijgerjsjvnkjdggkflnioqfhgirgnnnpeimijlioijlhrjsjvnokdggkfluioqfhgiefnnnpeindjlioijpdrjsjvnqkdggkflrioqfhgiqgnnnpeioejlioijkhrjsjvnijdggkflqhoqfhgipgnnnpei.

[01:04:03]: CloseConnectionWithReason: ID_DST_USER_BANNED
[01:04:03]: [Steam] SendUserDisconnect for 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
[01:04:03]: [Ban Announcement] xxxx
[01:04:03]: [Shard] (KU_xxxxxxx

) disconnected from [SHDMASTER](1)

If the guy tries to join back right after the ban, he can't but once the world reset he'll be able to join.

I read somewhere it's an issue related to permissions. So I tried to switch blocklist.txt permissions 644 (rw-r--r--) to 646 (rw-r--rw-) which it's partially fixed the issue, no error found in log, file is saved but some weirds characters appeared in the file, no problem tought and then few days later some players ID has been changed to these weird characters

1 hour ago, Stamina said:

So I tried to switch blocklist.txt permissions 644 (rw-r--r--) to 646 (rw-r--rw-) which it's partially fixed the issue, no error found in log, file is saved but some weirds characters appeared in the file, no problem tought and then few days later some players ID has been changed to these weird characters

Your permission change seemes to be the reason for your first issue. Though I'd try to check who is the owner of the blocklist.txt file, and maybe change the owner to the one who runs the DST server, and then reset the permissions to 644. It's a cleaner and more safe solution.

Do these weird characters still work? I mean are those players still banned?

These weird characters might be related to the UUID change Klei did not too long ago, where players could have the same ID with different capitalisations, which caused Windows systems to think they are the same, so Klei changed to a different system. (Which I haven't looked into properly yet.)

Or you might have a mod that fiddles with these kinds of things as well, and has it's own ban save system.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20081 Jun  6 14:14 blocklist.txt

The owner is root AFAIK and I don't have any other owners. 

3 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

Do these weird characters still work? I mean are those players still banned?

Unfortunately I didn't check as I quickly restored a clean backup and none of mod is installed on my server.

Here's a link to a thread with a similar issue if it can help: 

7 minutes ago, Stamina said:

The owner is root AFAIK and I don't have any other owners.

So you are running the DST server as root? I guess that works, but it's something you shouldn't do because of security reasons. Welp, your decision there, it shouldn't affect the DST server itself.

You can just ask a friend real quick to help you out. Meaning: You ban your friend, restart the server and check if the ban is still active, and if the file changed to those weird characters. Then unban your friend again ofc.

I'm a noob in this field, I have never touched things like this before making dedicated DST server :p

In fact I has an owner, so I changed the owner as you recommended of blocklist.txt file. Then I logged in with my second account and ban him. No errors in log but by checking the content of blocklist.txt the weird charcter is back (small circle), the id of my second account is here and the ban is active.

It appear as follow : player id, steam id?, random suit of numbers?, character name, name of server + description

lqV4LsD.jpg

3 hours ago, Stamina said:

It appear as follow : player id, steam id?, random suit of numbers?, character name, name of server + description

That is actually the absolutely correct format. Everything is working as expected and intended there.

I thought you were talking about something like

hnvihjeioühUüphUIPgHUipGUipghUIovgZuioFtuObhuiopBGZuFOvzTuoBuIPhi8pGui

xD

Are you sure about the format? I thought the blocklist contain only players's id.

3 hours ago, Daniel86268 said:

I thought you were talking about something like

hnvihjeioühUüphUIPgHUipGUipghUIovgZuioFtuObhuiopBGZuFOvzTuoBuIPhi8pGui

xD

My bad I should've illustrated this earlier :p

5 minutes ago, Stamina said:

Are you sure about the format?

Yes, I am indeed sure. It's the same format as in the adminfile.txt, which is well explained in this Steam forum thread (This is a bit older thread, but still about the same format, which is probably why there is more information now than back then.):

https://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/discussions/0/521643320346586412/#c365163686056714831

Archived