How do -you- play?

Equil

I'm still new at this so I try to take a flexible approach. I do build structures, but they exist to serve exploration needs rather than being an end in their own right. If needs be, I'll build a few small outposts away from the main camp. It depends on what I'm doing.

I use one base at all times except during hound attacks. I'm afraid of damaging my walls (why the hell do I even have them?) so I have a hound base about a quarter day's walk south with backup weapons and a firepit. At my regular base, I have stone walls, fireflies everywhere, and a hay pen with three rabbits and a Koalefant inside. When I'm hungry, I go to my self-made pig village, recruit them with dead rabbits or spiders, and go take down exactly two Beefalo. I then have the pigs kill each other. I wear a top hat every night to keep sane and this has brought me to day 98 without serious hazard.

Day 1 - Gather all sticks, flint, food and grass I can in starting area.Day 2-10 Work all day and night to explore as much as I can and get rid of as many spider nests as I can (but not all of them).Day 10-20 Find my area near either beefalo or a pig village and get started.Every day after that is just me improving my situation like making an arena, getting a farm going, getting bees (though I do this a lot earlier now). Once you have all of this it gets pretty easy, I don't even bother making my home near a wormhole anymore as the hit to sanity isn't worth it...

You can turn those off by turning "distortions" off in the settings.

I was not aware of that, nifty function. Though it'd be nice if they toned it down in the vanilla game, I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to switching off intended effects entirely :c