How do -you- play?

Equil

It seems the most popular strategy at the moment is to just settle down in the most optimal location and build a giant base camp, which is perfectly understandable since a lot of the important items are immobile, the addition of walls further encouraging this strategy and the strategy is very viable and fun(building things is fun). However, I keep asking myself "Is this how I'm intended to play?" Though, due to the sandboxy nature of the game that question is largely subjective. But, with the addition of the portals, what will be the incentive to jump worlds using this strategy? I'm also curious to how many people settle down and turtle and how many are constantly on the move! How do you play?

I build one big base and a number of smaller ones. I am nomadic and will spend time in certain areas to gather certain materials rather than bring everything to one base. I enjoy exploring and testing out all aspects of the game. I play it as if it were a beta, I try to discover issues and exploits and such. I'm also not afraid to die. It's a core part of the game.

I have a small base. I spend most of the time travelling far away and in getting in lots of trouble. (Killed 70-ish bees today!) Then i bring the materials for my base, stay a while, then wander off again. I'm mostly nomadic.And how do you play, Equil?

I spend the first day or two stockpiling everything I can get my paws on

then I spend days 2-5 (sometimes up to 7) searching for a good base site

a good base meets at least two of the following criteria (near means under a days walk)

[*]is near a pig village

[*]is near beefalo

[*]is near a large amount of rabbits

[*]is near the teleporter base

once a spot is found..

[*] I build a firepit ,science machine, crock pot in that order

[*] usually go hunting for more supplies (mostly gold) and start farming twigs,grass and berry bushes

[*]I build alchemy machine,fridge, chest, 4x speedy farm plots

[*]then more bush grass hording

[*] start picking fights with spiders

[*] nurse spider wounds (if any)

[*] pick fights with bees /build bee hives

[*] nurse bee wounds/ collect butterflys

after that if i survive that long (I tend to die between days 14-16) I mostly run about picking fights with everything

and only really returning to my base to lick my wounds

Edited by stormfront

And how do you play, Equil?

I get a small cozy base going in the first few days and then huddle around my fire, surviving off farms and berries being scared to leave the safety of my walls. Then inevitably die to something silly like a swamp tentacle when I go to fetch some reeds.

I keep trying different ways every time. My sanity world has a starting base in a rocky land away from everything.I am building a big honey facility and changing the environment to suit my needs. Removing rocky turf to plant and using the borders between terrain types to help me align the tress, bushes, turf and structures.I have chosen the rocky biome this time to speed up the new road turf production: removes rocky turf, add plank, apply road turf.

I spend the first day or two stockpiling everything I can get my paws on

then I spend days 2-5 (sometimes up to 7) searching for a good base site

a good base meets at least two of the following criteria (near means under a days walk)

[*]is near a pig village

[*]is near beefalo

[*]is near a large amount of rabbits

[*]is near the teleporter base

I do something like that but I just try to be between the pig king and the wooden thing.

Since you can now move beefalos using beefalo horns (or just punching them and when they are in the spot you want, use the flute) and build walls you can fence them and have a "Beefalo ranch".

But I'm slow. I do one thing a day.

One day to chop wood

One day to gather a few materials

One day to prepare food

And only them go for some good old spider wrestling.

Find a place with a lot of beehives find the best spot set up camp then the next day to scurry about looking for spider dens and get a net+top hat then a few days planting flowers making more beehives then the rest is adventure and makin stuff what i'de probaly do when i have all the stuff's i would probaly go and find a level 3 spider den and slay the queen and take over the throne.

Adventure:

Rush portal to world #5 , build a base with tons of beeboxes I collected from the previous worlds.

Then burn them all up cause I'm insane.

Sandbox:

Haven't played sandbox with this patch yet, not sure if the map generation is still the same, ...

Start by scouting for flint while grabbing a few twigs and all the grass I come across. Make a backpack at 13 grass & 7 twigs. At 2 flint, scout and mine rocks until I get 1 gold. Rocks drop flint, so make an axe, chop 2 trees, make research machine, research rope & straw roll. Run along the roads until I find the pig king grabbing grass & food along the way.

Once there, scout that area and kill spiders along the way for monster meat, keep the spider dens though cause there's no fun if you destroy them. Feed m.meat to pigs, feed the morsels I collected and meat the werepigs drop to the pig king to get 7 gold. Build alchemy machine and another science machine at my new base at the chokepoint between the pig king and the adjacent swampland. Research football helmet and it's gg.

Edited by blitz4

Before the progress update I would be walking around, looking for places to put up camp, and then continue searching. (That method didn't last very long I usually died within 7 days. But after the Insanity I finally built a permanent base..

I settle near a savana and transform the center to forest biome, then make a little rock camprire in the middle, and then add roads around teh forest to seperate it...then I make 4 famrs a crock pot and science machines beforehand (by machines I mean alchemy engine as well) and after that I explore the whole place, then I make a little pig village in my forest, after that...well I use the portal..

I build a small base next to beefalo with a few farms (basic ones or speedy ones, doesnt' matter), gather some materials, put them in a few chests, plant some seeds and run off to explore. Then when I have found something interesting and gathered some resources I run back to camp, pick up food, build some stuff and run off to explore again.pros of this method is that I rarely am actually in danger of starving or running low on supplies.cons are that I find myself being terribly bored after I explore the whole map. Hunting for krampus usually gets me nothing (didn't get a single sack still, despite killing over 10 of them :c I'm starting to think they're fabled), spider queens are fun but I kinda don't find them fun ANYMORE after only 3 (the third one killed me so good I ragequit, never went to hunt for one ever since), koalaphants are still cool though.Well, not to mention insanity. It seems it may severely impede my adventurous spirit if I go insane during exploring it may have really bad consequences.