Drawings and Drivel

On 6/9/2018 at 3:49 AM, vixenine said:

Huh, the other guitarist looks like Woodie in a way >u<

On 6/9/2018 at 12:30 PM, gallusvarius said:

It would sort of fit her, huh? 

Totally! And she's good at staying in character ;)

On 6/9/2018 at 1:53 PM, ResettePlayer said:

but I don't like country and prefer not to spend the time of day thinking about it.

23 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, I really don't like it either. Actually. I really hate it. 

Why ya gotta hate? It's not that bad (was it Cotton Eyed Joe that changed everyone's minds? I know some people find it annoying but...)

8 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

image.png.64b7dc31a037f8fc9430262028ddf2a6.png

My reaction.

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

BTW, I wasn't familiar with Klezmer music, so I looked it up. It's great, and kind of fitting for Wilson here.

I first heard it on Spore GA surprisingly and it was pretty humorous and catchy ^_^

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Why ya gotta hate? It's not that bad (was it Cotton Eyed Joe that changed everyone's minds? I know some people find it annoying but...)

Well, what I know as 'Country' is the music with a guy singing about how attractive women are and riding trucks to the tune of a banjo that's not especially musical... 

Without words LIKE THAT, Country Music's ancient ancestor, Folk music, so for example... Irish Folk Music, I appreciate Irish folk music quite a bit actually, when it has no words. You'll find an uncanny resemblance in the music between Irish Folk Music and country music. 

I have an example linked but I don't wanna make the thread longer for those actually trying to view art, so I'll just put it in this spoiler. 

Spoiler

So, this is quite long but I only listened to the first 2 minutes or so myself, just looking for a mere example while this exists as hours of music for those who like this stuff.
I do like this stuff though. But I don't like the 'country' music that plays.
Ireland is not the only place with fetching folk-music, too. 

This music tends to have a sort of bouncy, springy feel. Irish folk music, that is. They mentioned country, but this might even do better for a character, for all I know.
Kinda makes me think of some of the Verdant skins maybe.

Also, Winona might have made a good addition to the metal team, her skins kind of follow that direction sometimes.

11 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Spore GA

This is off topic, but - Spore is fun. I like that game too and have been playing it even before I knew of DS. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, minreaV said:

uhhh i don't know a thing about music but following your progress has me lookin forward to that finished group pic

the way you draw ol' Woodie makes me swoon. lov those rugged cheekbones

I feel a little like some sort of impostor by drawing music themed stuff. I can almost hear the true metal enthusiasts calling me a poser right now. Anyway, I don't have any more shifts for the next while, so I should be able to wrap up the piece soon if I overcome perfectionism.

Thank you! Making Woodie conventionally attractive was kind of accidental, but I guess it's my thing now. And you can thank the Klei artists for the cheekbones--they truly are something, aren't they. 

5 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Winona might have made a good addition to the metal team, her skins kind of follow that direction sometimes.

You're right. I think I'll just do all the characters at this point, since that brings it up to eight.

On the topic of folk music, listening to the klezmer and now this Irish stuff, folk music can be pretty fun to listen to. 

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

Maybe we should spam the Maxwell meme thread with this meme?

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but isn't the Maxwell meme thread basically there to be spammed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Well, what I know as 'Country' is the music with a guy singing about how attractive women are and riding trucks to the tune of a banjo that's not especially musical... 

NO IT IS NOT. Country music is a guy singing about some woman who ditched him, how he keeps getting drunk, and trains.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

NO IT IS NOT. Country music is a guy singing about some woman who ditched him, how he keeps getting drunk, and trains.

Trains. That's a new one. The others though, yeah, okay, I've heard some of those too... But not as many as about how attractive women or a specific female is. Alcoholic beverages, yes, probably more common than the trucks. 

Still, not really things that keep my interest. Maybe if they took the words out of it I'd appreciate it. You could put the same words to one of my favorite instrumentals and I wouldn't appreciate it any more, so my issue is probably just disagreeing conflict with the words. 
When you take words out of it, I like nearly most genres of music though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Both of you forgot tractors. Sigh, I see enough of those in the streets around here. I can't say they are terribly songworthy. Attractive women are overrated too, though I will admit that rock is really bad for that as well. Rock has better execution, though, if ya ask me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Both of you forgot tractors. Sigh, I see enough of those in the streets around here. I can't say they are terribly songworthy. Attractive women are overrated too, though I will admit that rock is really bad for that as well. Rock has better execution, though, if ya ask me.

Oh yeah, tractors. I did forget those. 

Yeah... I'm more familiar with the wordless variety of rock? I haven't heard much of it really. But I live here in Texas and boy do they love their country music. Save my ears. 
I think Rock is still called Rock without the words in it. But Country will become folk-music when you take the words out of it, more or less. (Ex: Irish folk music with words also talks about alcohol and women just as much... Or they tend to anyway. Though, since that's Ireland, they don't call it 'Country,' they call it 'Pub music,' or 'Pub songs.' With a pub more or less being the Irish-Variety bar. ) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

So far this page has no art on it, so, is this an improvement on Maxwell's goatee?Screenshot (9).png

Now MAxwell can brush floors with his goatee.:wilson_sneaky:

Joking asside, he's really cleaned up! The dark eyeshadow really brings in that "hello fellow emo kids" attitude he usually has.:wilson_ecstatic:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Screenshot (9).png

I just now noticed how you have only one eye showing.
The darkness around the eyes and how one eye is hidden reminds me of Darkest Dungeon. Were both hidden it might look exactly as such, but it looks really nice with Maxwell's style here. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, minespatch said:

The dark eyeshadow really brings in that "hello fellow emo kids" attitude he usually has.

Yes, exactly what I was going for.

7 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I just now noticed how you have only one eye showing.
The darkness around the eyes and how one eye is hidden reminds me of Darkest Dungeon. Were both hidden it might look exactly as such, but it looks really nice with Maxwell's style here.

Well, the other eye isn't really necessary, especially with that strand of hair in the way. If I did draw the eye, there'd only be a tiny bit visible, and at that point, why bother?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, the other eye isn't really necessary, especially with that strand of hair in the way. If I did draw the eye, there'd only be a tiny bit visible, and at that point, why bother?

Yeah, true.
You don't need that eye, Maxwell. You can sing without it.

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

You'd think he'd be hugging his legs through the trauma.:wilson_ecstatic:

True, but there's always work to be done. He knows it's gone and that he's safe for now, but some memories cannot be forgotten so easily.

Watched my first Klei art stream last night. I had intended to do so for a while, but this is the first time I actually made a point of figuring out the time and stuff.

It was good fun! Jesse has a wonderful, energetic personality and every minute of the stream was enjoyable. I tried to draw along, as you do, but it was one of those rare instances when I felt compelled to actually contribute to the chat. It was all very welcoming, not unlike this forum.

You guys are great, that's what I'm trying to say. Keep up the splendidness!

I only got about one page of sketches, but half of them sucked so I cropped them out.

IMG_20180613_0001-page-001.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

IMG_20180613_0001-page-001.jpg

I really like the bearger, both here and in-game. While clearly bear-like in it's nature, it also carries many badger-aspects, perhaps more than bear aspects. (Badgers actually fit the behavioral stereotype for bears better than bears do. Badgers however, are smaller and don't pose much threat to humans, other than a nasty bite if you poke them with a stick.)

16 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I really like the bearger, both here and in-game. While clearly bear-like in it's nature, it also carries many badger-aspects, perhaps more than bear aspects. (Badgers actually fit the behavioral stereotype for bears better than bears do. Badgers however, are smaller and don't pose much threat to humans, other than a nasty bite if you poke them with a stick.)

Thanks for doing the research. I've been awfully lazy lately, and that's kind of why I haven't drawn Werebeaver yet, despite the fact that looking up some beaver anatomy wouldn't take THAT long.

Just now, ResettePlayer said:

Thanks for doing the research. I've been awfully lazy lately, and that's kind of why I haven't drawn Werebeaver yet, despite the fact that looking up some beaver anatomy wouldn't take THAT long.

Oh, uh - I work at an 'aquarium' that has an aviary with free-roaming sloths and iguanas, and have really researched and read about a lot of animals even prior to working there...

A neat tip to know for beavers though, is their teeth actually self-sharpen. They have higher concentrations of iron to help them withstand gnawing so vigorously, but also, there is more iron found in the front or forward-layers of the tooth and it gradually has less iron as you move to the back of the tooth, so the back wears down faster than the front, and the front is constantly sharpened to a point with each tree they gnaw. 

It's a cool thing to know for a were-beaver, I imagine. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

A neat tip to know for beavers though, is their teeth actually self-sharpen.

That's pretty interesting, actually. I was aware that rodents had perpetually growing teeth, but beaver teeth probably get used more harshly than the typical rodent's. Generally, my theory (somewhat supported by Lucy's quotes) is that Woodie's "beaverness meter" is basically tracking how much his teeth are growing, and he has to gnaw to wear them down as any rodent would. 

Dang, his teeth must be razor-sharp. Hope the guy doesn't accidentally bite his tongue.

Anyway, that sounds like a good job you have, for knowledge makes better art.