Drawings and Drivel

So I was thinkin 'bout what SDragonhead said about body types and though I sort of differentiated characters' bodies before, I think I had like... three body types maybe. So I thought I'd work on that a little more, and actually look for reference rather than just making stuff up constantly.

IMG_20190117_0001.thumb.jpg.c2eadb09ef3556a4058cc76fcc7cd661.jpg

Okay I noticed just now that Wendy's arm is weirdly large. That was the one part I changed of the reference, too. Heh.

Spoiler

women-ideal-body-type-history-beauty-sta

And here's some reference I used: underwear models and Olympic athletes. I'll try to find more diverse reference in the future.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

So I was thinkin 'bout what SDragonhead said about body types and though I sort of differentiated characters' bodies before, I think I had like... three body types maybe. So I thought I'd work on that a little more, and actually look for reference rather than just making stuff up constantly.

I like how everyone except Woodlegs seem angry and are looking up in the same direction. Are they angry at you?

Also...

Nice to see that you drew a Sw character cuz so far I think you've only done Warly

Edited by Szczuku
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I like how everyone except Woodlegs seem angry and are looking up in the same direction. Are they angry at you?

Also...

Nice to see that you drew a Sw character cuz so far I think you've only done Warly

Many of the expressions are loosely based off of the models I was drawing them from. Most of them were very serious. I also have a habit of overly intense eyebrows anyway... might need to reign that in a bit.

I'll get around to drawing Walani someday (hopefully more than once). I may not get around to Wilbur because I'm not in a mood to learn monkey anatomy ever. Wilbur will be drawn, I'm sure, but don't count on it.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, ResettePlayer said:

I like the aspect of what inspired you to draw this. Nice interpretations of what you listed. Several of the men in the references could be Woodie, Wes, and Wolfgang.:wilson_ecstatic:

On 1/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, ResettePlayer said:

IMG_20190117_0002.thumb.jpg.ffc488ceab3ab880310058be4b9d3d32.jpg

Yes, bikes for the win.:wilson_sneaky:

I'm so happy to hear people in the stream defending Wilba besides @HugoM, she's such a adventurous lil' girl.

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

IMG_20190118_0001.thumb.jpg.0acab3c811aa50cc44a02715857a94d0.jpg

The two things that caught my attention on this were Wilson's thulecite sandals and the guardian's lips. I like that you made a ensemble outfit while the guardian resembles a Volgon from the film version of Hitchikers Guide. That or you're referencing Maxwell, somehow.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Have a gander at this Roc while I colour another Roc.

IMG_20190113_0001.thumb.jpg.3adacea3bc4b4c98f999c169857e52ff.jpg

New sketchbook is just a bit too big for the scanner, so we have several very unfortunate framing issues/tangents here.

You... are... my... Savior.

Please tell me as the days come there'll be more Roc art? Have you done the Hippo/Goose? I might've missed it, if you have. Your art and coloring is bloody amazing!! So much respect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

You... are... my... Savior.

Please tell me as the days come there'll be more Roc art? Have you done the Hippo/Goose? I might've missed it, if you have. Your art and coloring is bloody amazing!! So much respect!

Thank you so much for saying so!

I really like the Roc, so I might draw it a little more, but I can't promise you anything. I'd like to explore the other various bosses and monsters as well, but it could quite possibly take me months and months to get there, especially since I tend to draw characters a lot more. Thanks for the interest, but unless you stick around for a very long time, I don't know if you'll see what you want.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Several of the men in the references

Indeed, I'd like to do a height chart someday, so I'll wait 'til then to do the rest of the characters.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

The two things that caught my attention on this were Wilson's thulecite sandals and the guardian's lips.

I just extended the thulecite armour to cover more parts of the body. Make Wilson look like some ancient warrior king, even if he doesn't deserve it.

The Guardian, well, Wilson needed some sort of support for his foot there, and someone in the chat (I think they were @deludeddaybreak) was theorising that the Guardian was Wagstaff, so old-man-transformed imagery was floating 'round my head. To be honest, I kind of regret the lips even though they look goofy 'cos it differs slightly too much from the source material.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, ResettePlayer said:

ave a gander at this Roc while I colour another Roc.

IMG_20190113_0001.thumb.jpg.3adacea3bc4b4c98f999c169857e52ff.jpg

YEEESSSSSSS! I love this a lot. It's a very accurate drawing of him and extremely detailed - This is really impressive
Oh, if you ever want a better view of this guy, by the way.... Zoom out the camera as much as you can during the foggy screen in Humid season. It will  zoom out SUPER far and then remain like that after the fog has passed. When I got stepped on by the Roc as WX-78, I got to have a nice look at what stepped on me. He has clouds on him and trees and plants - But clouds would shield the hard work you did here. Maybe a gust of wind blew them away for a little. 

On 1/13/2019 at 4:11 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Haha, well, you know the Roc is a legendary bird, right?

The only way the Roc could get a leg up in the vicious Hamlet food chain, yeah? Look what you made me do.

Anyway. Couldn't let that Xenomorph mouth(s) go unappreciated.

IMG_20190113_0002.thumb.jpg.44e45068ada5527a875b16fb67f75781.jpg

Meanwhile... Woodie hates birds... His serious expression is actually rather amusing to me, since I know that even if he thought the Roc was gonna take him to it's nest so he could get the Ro Bin and Queen's scepter - It's still a bird and the last thing he wants is it's weird mouth anywhere near him.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, ResettePlayer said:

What if Wilson wasn't starving

20190115_181631.jpg

Is he a little... Chubby, here? Ah, a donut. Of course, They would provide only EVIL varieties of food for those on the throne, it's just the stress that keeps our characters slim - Until/Unless, I guess Wilson here got used to it. 

On 1/16/2019 at 4:13 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Wilson's sleeves. His inked arms.

Criminally oversimplified by so many fan artists.

IMG_20190116_0001.thumb.jpg.a561a087529ed1cda72376c5d9c36130.jpg

For a quick moment I thought he had tattoo'd himself with that carrot, and I was like 'What'- 
...I see a Darkest Dungeon reference on his arm. 
The detail is very nice, especially with the lines for his coat and the way you did his pants. The garland is a nice touch, heh.
And his coming-in beard... I like how you remember Wilson's beard. I feel like it's so frequently forgotten. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Oh, if you ever want a better view of this guy, by the way...

... go to Watermelen's Hamlet Data Mining thread. Very helpful for reference, that thread.

They would provide only EVIL varieties of food for those on the throne, it's just the stress that keeps our characters slim

I was actually thinking that Wilson summoned his own shadow-doughnut. He is King, after all. What is he gonna do, eat a salad?

I see a Darkest Dungeon reference on his arm.

All of his tattoos are Darkest Dungeon themed! Since so many tattoo sleeves feature skulls and/or nautical stuff, I decided to just go with it. Besides, I like to theorise that DD and DS actually take place in the same universe. Not that Wilson would get tattoos of a historical event, but it's not like Wilson would be tattooed at all, so. If DD had novels and stage plays based off of it (similar to how Shakespeare's plays were often based off of history), the Plague Doctor and Highwayman would be kid Wilson's heroes, probably. They're on his right arm. The drawing's pretty small, so it's hard to tell.

Or maybe DD is fiction in the DS universe, and Wilson had the whole collection of pulpy, serialised novels when he was a teen. Until he got too academic for that stuff. Now they just sit in a box in his parents' attic.

I don't really have an actual theory other than Red Hook and Klei seem to be buds kinda so MAYBE ONE DAY. Both games feature power- and knowledge-hungry men messing around with evil, otherworldly, and Lovecraftian forces and ruining everything, and I think there's enough time between the events for the same mistakes to be made again. DD is around the late 18th or early 19th century, and DS is early 20th, so it's not like the timelines interrupt each other at all.

Someone on the Thursday stream, when I mentioned this last, said that they like to think that the Plague Doctor and the Highwayman are actually Wilson's parents. An extremely alluring idea, especially considering how disappointing a child Wilson would be to those two PTSD-ridden people who are SO DONE with forbidden knowledge, but they'd probably be of more the age of grandparents maybe, since Wilson would be born in the late 19th century.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with Darkest Dungeon characters, here:

Spoiler

This is the Plague Doctor. As you can see, she is Science. She throws dangerous chemicals at her enemies and treats the wounds of her allies, to an extent. If I ever get around to a DD/DS crossover drawing, Wilson would definitely be in her role.

latest?cb=20140218212945

This is the Highwayman. As you can see, he has a Downward Pointing Nose and Dark Hair that is Only Very Slightly Receding. He also has a Red Scarf. Coincidence?!?!?!
1521569467_03.jpg

Bonus: neither of these characters mess around with religion or dark magic!

Spoiler

I'm sorry, when looking for an image this gif was too funny to ignore. Sorry. Thanks Reddit, for the memes.

f6yb572z15zz.gif

And in the far future of this timeline, we have Oxygen Not Included. Because I like that game too.

Seriously though, some kind of allusion that gives actual, more reliable evidence for these games being related would be elating. Throw me and the handful of other people who may want this a bone, pls.

I can dream, okay.

Aagh, I really want to play Darkest Dungeon now, but I have to wait because of the existence of responsibilities and I can't let my soul be consumed by games right now. This is painful. I eagerly await the time we may be united once more, my dear.

• Haha 2

On 1/17/2019 at 12:22 PM, ResettePlayer said:

I like what you did for Woodlegs, it sorta fits him. Also your very Robotic-And-Not-Human WX is great. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, ResettePlayer said:

The Ancient Guardian is too old for this crap.

IMG_20190118_0001.thumb.jpg.0acab3c811aa50cc44a02715857a94d0.jpg

And the Thulecite Crown was made for Wilson. How did he even get up there? Jump attack?

Oh this one... Is funny. XD Lately I've been practicing ruins rushing, so I've been having quite the bit of run-ins with the Ancient Guardian. I'd say a good deal of my failed attempts or nearly-failed are because of THIS GUY right here. 
You did really well drawing the ancient guardian though! I don't think I've seen a more detailed/realistic drawing of him before, so I think what you did here is really cool - Not to mention Wilson, heh... 
Oh, and Wilson is shiny! Nice going designing how the Thulecite armor would look on a 'more humanoid' character than what we see in-game. 

41 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

I can dream, okay.

Aha...
I never thought of them being on the same timeline. Though so much Lovecraftian-Type lore for stories has come out lately, it might warrant for a lot to be combined... 
Possible at least, though Don't Starve is a little more separated from the typical Lovecraft, or at least, it seems to design it's own shadow-creatures and it's own concepts - A highly creative game. 
DD is also very creative, but it also as a bit of a different focus. Don't Starve is focus on a Whimsical theme, emphasizing it's raw creative aspects. Darkest Dungeon is pretty closely tied to the original Lovecraft though- The newest DLC I saw was for the Color of Madness, which is a meteor from space and stuff. Lovecraft had a lot of space in his stories but in particular, he had 'The color from Space,' which was a meteor that came down to earth that boasted a new color that humans had never seen before. As a result, the color had no name, because it was new. 
The Color of Madness reminds me very much of that story or at least it's concept. 
At any rate, They seem to be extremely... Unique, albeit still evil. Independent and individual maybe, They don't appear to associate with other forms of evil very much. I could be mistaken though. 

Then again, everyone seems to find the horrors of the Constant to be something new. I suppose maybe after the Darkest Dungeon incident was resolved, though, it would make entirely perfect sense to try and wipe that from history - So as not to invite any fools to meddle with such things again. 
Though also I find with Darkest Dungeon that it mentions those mer-folk, who appear to have been there long prior to the Ancestor's meddling, merely surfacing to trade. They appear to be an extremely ancient race, but it seems like if merfolk existed in Wilson's world, someone might figure out. (At least, when one dies somewhere it could potentially wash up on the beach - If it were truly a race, it seems as though there might be much more than that, though.)
It would be hard to wipe away that existence, perhaps. 

55 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

I was actually thinking that Wilson summoned his own shadow-doughnut. He is King, after all. What is he gonna do, eat a salad?

He he, that makes sense. 
I wonder if Shadow-Donuts even taste good, though. Do they even have substance? I guess that's better than shadow-salad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I don't think I've seen a more detailed/realistic drawing of him before, so I think what you did here is really cool

You should check out the Klei Weekly Art Stream thread! The last page has several submissions for the weekly prompt already.

Shadow-Donuts even taste good, though

Probably. An illusion of flavour. In which case, Wilson should still be thin, but whatever.

Though so much Lovecraftian-Type lore for stories has come out lately, it might warrant for a lot to be combined... 

Oh Heavens, let's not do that. There's too many!

Then again, everyone seems to find the horrors of the Constant to be something new. I suppose maybe after the Darkest Dungeon incident was resolved, though, it would make entirely perfect sense to try and wipe that from history - So as not to invite any fools to meddle with such things again.

I am a bit out-of-practice with my Darkest Dungeon lore, but much of that craziness seemed pretty localised around the evil at the root of the Estate. The Pelagic culture seemed drawn to it, while never venturing beyond their Cove. Thus, they might be merely legend to those who only ever heard of them second hand. Kind of like how some people really believe in ghosts/aliens/Bigfoot while most dismiss them as myth, and generally don't spend a lot of time thinking about them.

Most of the other monsters, including the Swine Folk, were the result of the Ancestor's messing about. Now, the Swine of DD are far different from the pigs of DS, yet you could argue that they have their similarities. Both have elements of pigs and humans, but while DD Swine were accidentally made by someone who didn't know what he was doing, DS Pigs seem more... properly made, even if their intelligence level is comparable. They exist and thrive in a world noticeably infected with darkness/Nightmare Fuel, which implies that they're connected to it in some way. The DS Pig King (much nicer than the DD Swine King, I might add) sits comfortably among Obelisks, which are related to darkness and madness even if the rest of the pigs fear the dark. They are also far less violent, and that makes me wonder if they had any more fuel/darkness in their creation, they would be more comparable to DD Swine. Well, Forge swine are fairly violent, I suppose, but they're much more systematic.

Like, iunno, maybe the concentration of evil is incredibly strong in that one general area of the Estate (I don't know if there's a canon location, but it's somewhere in the New World, I'm pretty sure [West Coast, perhaps? Near Vancouver, where both DS and DD were born?]) whereas the Constant has a much more even spread, making for less horrific mutations.

The Gnaw can mutate people on demand, interesting note.

Spoiler

For contrast's sake:

7939730_f520.jpg

darkest-dungeon-pixel-dungeon-pig-boss-d

eurgh

But you know what, they arguably have similar silhouettes--wider at the bottom than the top! Like a water balloon on a table.

Imagine if DS Pigs turned into DD Swine on a full moon. Now that would be terrifying. Someone should mod that.

Also Merms/Pelagics because why not.

latest?cb=20130727195941 Pelagic_Grouper.png these guys are the effing WORST

There's also mushroom monsters too, yanno?

tHe PAralLeLS arE uNDEnIaBLe

Wilson's world

Now... this is where things get interesting, eh?

How much do we actually know about Wilson's world?

Very little. Only what snippets we got through the William Carter puzzles and some character quotes. We assume it's pretty much normal... but there could be weird stuff happening on a small scale all the time. Maxwell's Final Act was caught on film, apparently, and yet didn't shake the world in its boots. People invent Meat Effigies and crazy portals and radios that cause people to disappear, Woodie has a mysterious curse, Abigail confirms the existence ghosts, and who knows what the heck else is going on offscreen. Necromancy and cultists, perhaps.

but it also as a bit of a different focus

Yeah, Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve are dramatically different in terms of tone. Darkest Dungeon--it's right there in the name. It has some humour in there, but DS is far goofier and the art style reflects that. Not that DS isn't dark, but that's not its main thing. 

I think the whole reason this came up in my mind was learning that the band Gorillaz and the show Power Puff Girls are confirmed to be in the same universe. And I think Star Trek is actually what happened in the 23rd Century in the Doctor Who universe. Crossovers are fun.

P.S. While I'm still here, has anyone modded Ancestor quotes into Don't Starve yet? I.e. spider is killed-- "Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow, and insidious, killer." character dies-- "More blood soaks the soil, feeding the evil therein."

P. P. S. Listen to this song

Spoiler

while looking at this image

Spoiler

latest?cb=20171024201825

Edited by ResettePlayer

GOOD frickin' LORD this was a bad idea.IMG_20190125_0002.thumb.jpg.ae124d22aafce9c632e446c772295c98.jpg

Why didn't I use a broader marker? 'Cos I'm an inefficient masochist, apparently. This is the worst idea I've had of anything all month. And they all sit there SMILING at me the MONSTERS!!!!

IMG_20190125_0001.thumb.jpg.74bb8a4548414d611b27527b515ab1ee.jpg

My gut told me that this would be enough for this week's prompt (it was done first, took little time and has humour). But no. I had to sabotage myself. But at least I know not to do something remotely like that again.

Have a nice weekend, everybody!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Developer
On 1/17/2019 at 4:41 PM, ResettePlayer said:
  Hide contents

Oh Lawd, this is bad, but I'M NEW AT THIS OKAAYY!

IMG_20190117_0002.thumb.jpg.ffc488ceab3ab880310058be4b9d3d32.jpg

So one of my classes requires Visual Note Taking, which is weighed pretty heavily and I am not at all confident with. Thought I'd practice with the Dev Stream.

That's amazing hahahahahaha. Nicely done!

• Thanks 2

The growth of leafyboi Wormwood from the abdominal area of Warbucks' corpse is symbolic of a birth, leading some experts to believe that the abolition of Warbucks and the plant-like nature of the replacement character is allegorical to a young adult's relationship with his parents. As an extension of that theory, many interpret this as suggesting that Millennials will only thrive once all the Baby Boomers are dead.

^ This is a bad joke, please disregard.

IMG_20190214_000101.thumb.jpg.e0b7978f033c1574becc40d435f232d0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Spoiler
20 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

The growth of leafyboi Wormwood from the abdominal area of Warbucks' corpse is symbolic of a birth, leading some experts to believe that the abolition of Warbucks and the plant-like nature of the replacement character is allegorical to a young adult's relationship with his parents. As an extension of that theory, many interpret this as suggesting that Millennials will only thrive once all the Baby Boomers are dead.

^ This is a bad joke, please disregard.

IMG_20190214_000101.thumb.jpg.e0b7978f033c1574becc40d435f232d0.jpg

I wanted to draw it, too, but I thought it was too cruel. But in your performance it is quite beautiful and looks great. Thank you for such work ^-^

• Like 2