Infinite Steam Power!

well I wouldn't go that far.  I try to avoid known exploits and bugs because they can usually make things too easy,  but I certainly don't have any issues with folks using them if they want to.  Just so long as exploit usage is clearly stated as such so that newer players realize what they might be doing. 

The problem right now is Steam Turbines are absolute garbage. We have no way to move steam of that temp around without losing large amounts of it over time, besides, Oil>Petro>NG is far more efficient and cost effective.

There are plenty of exploits where the unintended result in a mechanic can provide a lot more in a game.

And as for killing the fun? Well that's not true for me, I derive a lot of enjoyment from games exploiting all aspects, finding optimal and most efficient systems. Once I know the mechanics and systems, I am then free to use them should I need them when a certain aspect of the game gets irritating.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, Aner-Dyfan said:

Over the weekend on the Discord channel Skunky informed us that steam turbines operate in a different way to what we thought. We all thought that they required high pressure steam over 220C under in order to power them. As it turns out, that is not the case. ONI looks for 3 conditions to be met:

• High pressure steam under the turbine
  • Lower pressure above the turbine
  • A temperature over 220C

This means so long as you have a hot tile under the turbine, you can feed it cold steam (ie 120C) and it will generate power, in fact it will actually warm the steam up as it comes out at 175C!

So that's all well and good, we just need less thermal energy to power steam engines. But that's not infinite! How you do that is by placing a tempshift plate next to neutronium to force it to warm up. This can then act as your "hot" tile (despite never ever cooling down) and then you can use a door pusher to circulate the steam back around to the input once more. Thus creating a perpetual steam turbine!

If you've not quite understood it from the text, I also have produced a YouTube tutorial on the matter:

That's a very nice "feature". Therefore one we can put to use all of those useless geysers around the map, just for that tile of neutronium. Just don't uncover the whole geyser.

Spoiler

5af752b79cdb7__steamturbineneutronium.thumb.jpg.b90a89131784472ca4981b17eb6572af.jpg

Spoiler

Disclaimer: I have yet to try this in survival mode.

It's a funny exploit but not exactly game breaking:  if you're already in the magma biome, you pretty much already have a non-exploity infinite energy for all practical purposes: oil heated to natural gas is exactly 4000% (not 400%) the efficiency of raw oil power (oil->refinery>petrol generator).  And there's enough magma to zap several thousand tons of oil. 

So unless you planned on operating 50 natural gas generators for tens of thousands of cycles, you really don't have to worry about power.  To properly use it you have to be a bit careful, but I've already developed a version that is safe enough to pump out the heated gas while trapping all the heat in the oil biome.

Then again maybe it's kind of an exploit that oil zapping is better thermal energy than steam turbines >.>  It gets even dumber if you use steam turbines with a water buffer to cool your natural gas lol

5 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

What a hell are you talking about? We cannot boil water to steam with conventional means, of course everyone will use exploits to boil it.

Geysers, Magma, Aquatuner, Polymer Press, Refinery, the list goes on ;) 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, TehPlayer14 said:

Exploits are the things that kill the game and fun

You play the game anyway you find it fun, not the way developers tells you to play. Otherwise you wouldn't be playing it, unless you are a masochist.

On 30/06/2018 at 10:06 PM, Technoincubus said:

What a hell are you talking about? We cannot boil water to steam with conventional means, of course everyone will use exploits to boil it.

The Steam turbine says its for geothermal energy anyway if i rem right, My buid uses a volcano but I am waiting for next patch since the devs are fixing the bug I posted, if it works then I will redesign it for a much larger.

But not everyone uses exploits to boil it. If you meant for boiling oil, then again the same thing applies, a volcano can easily output enough magma to boil enough nat gas for essentially forever. 

Archived