The easiest possible solution to fire griefing...

Alright, so here me out on this...WE REMOVE THE OPTION TO LIGHT GRIEFABLE OBJECTS!

Seriously, why the hell is there an option to light the following on fire? The main reason griefing like this is such a huge problem is the fact that griefers were given these options from the start. No player in their right mind would want a Light option on these things!

-Science Machine

-Alchemy Engine

-Berry Bush

-Sapling

-Grass

-Crock Pot

-Chest

-Literally anything a sane player would never want a right-click Light Option on

Some may argue that this would be useless. That they'd light something like a piece of grass and cause smouldering. That's the thing. Smouldering can be put out beforehand. The griefers will be kicked by the time the smouldering things are repeatedly put out, causing only minor health loss, with no rollbacks.

47 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

-Sapling

-Grass

Actually, I light these occasionally when I freeze in the middle of a savannah or anywhere without anything better to burn. 

The general idea sounds good and reasonable and I even think that it would decrease the number of griefings (somewhat). I would like to see it tested if it really works. But my problem with this method is that trolls will actually find a way to evade it, which would make players more disappointed and unprepared in this "fireproof" world.

Spoiler
56 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

-Literally anything a sane player would never want a right-click Light Option on

... and what about insane players?... I am, for example, quite often insane in this game...

(don't take this part seriously ;))

After all, the best solution to griefing in my opinion is a well moderated server ;) 

Btw, did you know that digging up a burning bush/grass/sapling/etc extinguishes it? 

12 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Actually, I light these occasionally when I freeze in the middle of a savannah or anywhere without anything better to burn. 

The general idea sounds good and reasonable and I even think that it would decrease the number of griefings (somewhat). I would like to see it tested if it really works. But my problem with this method is that trolls will actually find a way to evade it, which would make players more disappointed and unprepared in this "fireproof" world.

Reveal hidden contents

... and what about insane players?... I am, for example, quite often insane in this game...

(don't take this part seriously ;))

After all, the best solution to griefing in my opinion is a well moderated server ;) 

Btw, did you know that digging up a burning bush/grass/sapling/etc extinguishes it? 

When I freeze, I just light what I PICKED from them, so twigs, and cut grass.

i think that fire should be replaced with endless smouldering so that griefers get trolled when they try to set something on fire and it smoulders so they wait 50 minutes but it never gets set on fire and they eventually realise that they were just trolled, now that is simply epic

On 5/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, Thieverpedia said:

Alright, so here me out on this...WE REMOVE THE OPTION TO LIGHT GRIEFABLE OBJECTS!

etc

Grass and Saplings are valid burn targets. It's not something you want to do often but it should be an option. But even if we said, "player planted plants are immune, only natural stuff can burn", it's not simplifying the issue because A: Now we gotta rebalance the crap out of fire, and B: The reason fire is used is because it's the easiest method. If you take away their torches, griefers will make hammers and shovels and cause the same damage as before, if not more.

There is nothing simple about what you're proposing.

On 25/05/2018 at 11:15 PM, deathofbarney said:

Sometimes you desperately need heat and burn what you must.  I have been saved in the past by sacrificing a wardrobe and other random furniture when the pit is just a little too far away.

That's a rare enough occasion for most players that being able to burn down any structure really doesn't seem like a good idea. Rather just die and resurrect than destroy an entire base just because you needed heat/light.

14 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

That's a rare enough occasion for most players that being able to burn down any structure really doesn't seem like a good idea. Rather just die and resurrect than destroy an entire base just because you needed heat/light.

Resurrection is not always an option and Ive never burnt a base in these cases just single pieces of furniture.

3 hours ago, deathofbarney said:

Resurrection is not always an option and Ive never burnt a base in these cases just single pieces of furniture.

And you can also extinguish it if you have an ice staff, waterballoon or ice at hand.

5 hours ago, deathofbarney said:

Still, generally speaking, it would be much better for players to not have the option to just light structures on fire.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:03 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Still, generally speaking, it would be much better for players to not have the option to just light structures on fire.

Then the remains of this game's realism would be completely gone.

It's a survival game, A survival game consists in coping with problems and fighting back incidents.

2 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

Most Survival games have at least SOME Realism. We don't want less of it, do we?

That's a really bald and quite frankly dumb statement imo. Making things too real would kill a game. Leaving a griefing option just for the sake of having some arbitrary "realism", when griefing is still a huge issue despite the tools we have against it.

In the Gorge, you can catch rabbits in a trap. You have an axe. You can't axe them. Realism broken reeeeeeeee!

6 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

That's a really bald and quite frankly dumb statement imo. Making things too real would kill a game. Leaving a griefing option just for the sake of having some arbitrary "realism", when griefing is still a huge issue despite the tools we have against it.

In the Gorge, you can catch rabbits in a trap. You have an axe. You can't axe them. Realism broken reeeeeeeee!

I mean the base game. Why You hate the fact that the game's flammable objects are... Flammable?

1 hour ago, Wilson_pl said:

I mean the base game. Why You hate the fact that the game's flammable objects are... Flammable?

The base game... single player? This is the multiplayer section. Again, the fact that you can light structures on fire allows for some unnecessary griefing, but it also allows for newbies to just take a fire staff/torch and accidentally light everything on fire, cause that has happened even for professional players (case in point). The need to have any structure lit on fire, generally, does not outweigh the griefing potential that doesn't need to be there.

2 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I think you're missing @EuedeAdodooedoe's point. They were just saying an option to directly light structures shouldn't be a thing, not that they should be immune to fire. There's no real benefit to lighting structures anyhow. 

Clearly structures like Science machine or this kind of stuff shouldn't be burnable. But maybe Hay Walls Could be.

They burn long and well (Useful in winter, mentioned before, however), and it would force players to make stronger walls.

On 5/10/2018 at 5:04 PM, JohnWatson said:

i think that fire should be replaced with endless smouldering so that griefers get trolled when they try to set something on fire and it smoulders so they wait 50 minutes but it never gets set on fire and they eventually realise that they were just trolled, now that is simply epic

I support this. Player-induced fire on structures.

On 5. 5. 2018 at 12:27 AM, Thieverpedia said:

Some may argue that this would be useless. That they'd light something like a piece of grass and cause smouldering. That's the thing. Smouldering can be put out beforehand. The griefers will be kicked by the time the smouldering things are repeatedly put out, causing only minor health loss, with no rollbacks.

Look , people disconnect and griefer joins , ruins the camp/whaterwerucallit and nobody does anything.

Archived