Sign in to follow this  
archblue1206

THE NEW RESEARCH SYSTEM VS. THE OLD RESEARCH SYSTEM!:chargrined:

Which do you like better?the new research system or the old one?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?the new research system or the old one?

• The new research system
    • The old research system
    • keep both optional

River Ravin    10

I don't see the point in making it the research carry on. If you start a new pokemon game, you don't still have your badges, and this is the same. The only thing here is that you die, and do not have the option to Save your game like you do in pokemon. Even if it is tedious, it isn't that much of a pain.

InSpace    164

The old research system is basically "Everything unlocked for new games", that is really killing the gameplay and progressing through the days. New system is superior.

Silvi    29

Let's be honest about this: if you enter the game with all the heavy weapons (ie. all the advanced recipies), what is the challenge? This is about surviving and advancing, not surviving only because you have everything unlocked. Keep the new one, please.

Pyro    10

I think both are a bit too easy. Go back to the old system, but instead of carrying points over from game to game, you have to start over each time. It's more challenging to find things/ graves to get science points than to just build machines and be done with it.

Limon Sock    10

I suppose for sandbox mode you could have the 'old method' available, but as in sacrifice several items for research points so you unlock stuff (as normal) but have this reset with every game.Or generally just an 'all items unlocked mode'. Some other games have certain options restricted when in story mode, but all available in sandbox ones. For example..... warcraft 3, you can't build all the units at the start of the campaign, but if you start a skirmish match or whatever, just about everything is unlocked.If this was an option, then people who want to play with the new method can, and people who want to play with the old method can't, but have something which is sort of the same, with an option to collect research points (but it resets like the new method) or an option to have everything unlocked, no prototypes or research points needed.And I don't really see the point in saying, in opposition to the 'old method', that it'll spoil the game or something. I mean, if you prefer the new method then that's fine. But if there was the option for the old method as well (like it had last update) then it shouldn't ruin your game because there's no multiplayer and no one is forcing you to choose that option. Not trying to pick on anyone or anything lol. It's just last update had both options, neither of which 'forced' you to play them. I don't actually know if this update removed the option though, because I haven't started a new world.To be honest though, I can't say whether I prefer the new method or not. It's a bit annoying that some decent tools are not availale from the start (spears etc), especially when I just start to establish a base and research stuff, then die. But it does add to the replayability of the game and it makes more sense that we're prototyping stuff, instead of just shoving random things into a machine lol.

I suppose for sandbox mode you could have the 'old method' available, but as in sacrifice several items for research points so you unlock stuff (as normal) but have this reset with every game.Or generally just an 'all items unlocked mode'. Some other games have certain options restricted when in story mode, but all available in sandbox ones. For example..... warcraft 3, you can't build all the units at the start of the campaign, but if you start a skirmish match or whatever, just about everything is unlocked.If this was an option, then people who want to play with the new method can, and people who want to play with the old method can't, but have something which is sort of the same, with an option to collect research points (but it resets like the new method) or an option to have everything unlocked, no prototypes or research points needed.And I don't really see the point in saying, in opposition to the 'old method', that it'll spoil the game or something. I mean, if you prefer the new method then that's fine. But if there was the option for the old method as well (like it had last update) then it shouldn't ruin your game because there's no multiplayer and no one is forcing you to choose that option. Not trying to pick on anyone or anything lol. It's just last update had both options, neither of which 'forced' you to play them. I don't actually know if this update removed the option though, because I haven't started a new world.To be honest though, I can't say whether I prefer the new method or not. It's a bit annoying that some decent tools are not availale from the start (spears etc), especially when I just start to establish a base and research stuff, then die. But it does add to the replayability of the game and it makes more sense that we're prototyping stuff, instead of just shoving random things into a machine lol.

good thing i added the "keep both optional" choice..:biggrin-new:

RueckenMarc    10

with the old research system, it was pretty boring to begin a new world and still have all the good stuff researched. And also, the perma-death is now more "perma" because you loose almost all progress you made. That is totally fine.

PhelsarusBeel    3996

i myself enjoy the new system more then the old one because it speeds up the progress of researching something you realy want like for example when i played with the old system it took me a long time to research the speedy farm plot because i needed a lot of other stuff before i even cpuld think of research it now3 with the new system i just can collect enought manure wood and grass and build the bloddy thing without think what i could research instead or what would help me more it just gives me more freedom to create my own tech tree if i want to research everything in the food categorie i can do this without hurting myself because i also need points for the spear or otherwise i get murderd by hounds instead i can just build a spear and a log suit without wasting maybe 2 ingame days of grinding points for the research of the spear and the log suit

dbrunk    10

I like the new research method, the old one just seemed like a grind or busy work having to collect things to make your number go higher the new way you are actually researching items with the materials it takes to use the items. As for those that don't like the fact that when you die you have to start over "researching", that's the way it should be, when you die it should feel like a clean run, like you're starting over because you are, just seems common sense to me.

How about you unlock items through adventure mode? You start the game in both adventure mode and free play mode with what we have now, however everything you unlock in adventure mode you get to start with in free play. I appreciate that the new system is harder and it takes grinding out of the equation, but it's annoying having to unlock everything every time. And I don't like being anchored to my science or alchemy machine. You were before, but eventually you could get everything and you eventually wouldn't have to be. I like shopping around for the ideal spot for my home base. I don't like having to get stuck somewhere early on because I need to build my machines and unlock stuff. If you could take the machines WITH you, that would help a whole lot. Plus, I liked that later on you could prioritize. Do I want gold? Silk? Bees? Fangs? You could decide what stuff was most important to you to make and focus on the ingredients for that. With this your forced to get what the game wants you to get every time you die. And since the game throws new things at you every update for you to get used to, well...I think the new research system is a good base, but it needs some tweaking. Y'all may like the added difficulty now, but now we have insanity to worry about, and winter is coming as well. If the new research system doesn't gel with those, we're screwed.

Lupind    10

Guess gonna put point in "Keep both Optional"Since having a choice is always a good one, especially in this game that have crazy learning curves.For new Players, the Old Method is probably easier than the new one.Therefore, An option to choose how the Research system is played can help other players to familiarize them self with the game :)heck, even making the new features of the game (Sanity) optional is always a good thingsince it's giving players option to make the game easy or hard. And of course playing easy will not giving the full experience of the game, making playing the game in the hardest difficulty can give you enjoyable full experience :)

Edited by Lupind

Kevin    3943

Hey guys, just thought that I'd step in here and clear things up.The new research vs old research issue has been settled. The old system had some serious balance issues, and was causing all sort of weird behavioural distortions. Remember strip mining the world for RP? Or rushing graves to collect gold? That sucked. It was super grindy and not very fun.We made this change very carefully, and consulting with the community. We even made it optional for a while so that we could gauge people's response before fully committing. I don't think there has been an aspect of the game's design that we have talked about more than this. :)I don't like having multiple versions of major systems in the game. It dilutes the community, and makes it harder for people to talk to each other about what they are playing. It also means that we have to maintain balance in two systems (or more, if there are multiple options).Research points are gone, and they're not coming back. If you *really* want them back, you are free to make a mod that will do that. We may tweak the prototyping system a bit in the future, if it becomes necessary, but we aren't going back to the old system.

Ender    13

hey guys, just thought that i'd step in here and clear things up.The new research vs old research issue has been settled. The old system had some serious balance issues, and was causing all sort of weird behavioural distortions. Remember strip mining the world for rp? Or rushing graves to collect gold? That sucked. It was super grindy and not very fun.We made this change very carefully, and consulting with the community. We even made it optional for a while so that we could gauge people's response before fully committing. I don't think there has been an aspect of the game's design that we have talked about more than this. :)i don't like having multiple versions of major systems in the game. It dilutes the community, and makes it harder for people to talk to each other about what they are playing. It also means that we have to maintain balance in two systems (or more, if there are multiple options).Research points are gone, and they're not coming back. If you *really* want them back, you are free to make a mod that will do that. We may tweak the prototyping system a bit in the future, if it becomes necessary, but we aren't going back to the old system.

thank you!!!!!

Hey guys, just thought that I'd step in here and clear things up.We may tweak the prototyping system a bit in the future, if it becomes necessary, but we aren't going back to the old system.

This is all I'm asking for, Kev-dude. The old system isn't going to work going forward. However, there were good things about it, and if you could add what was good from the old to the new, that'd be great. That's what 'Progress' is all about, after all, right?For instance, I know I haven't been able to offer up any specifics, and I'm sorry about that, so here's something: can we not have to have all the ingredients necessary before we unlock a recipe? Right now, if you have a science machine, you can't unlock the recipe for something unless you have all the stuff to make it. Don't care for that. And it's one of the many things that keeps you anchored to the science machine and inhibits your exploring more than easy base building/farming ever did. It makes you have to gather supplies and come back, rather than allowing you to build it while you're exploring and you've found the supplies. Edited by Gentleman Mad Scientist