Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

12 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

However, on the DST world I have with my family, where we have a lot of people, the obsessive food collecting is useful. It's also nice to have a stack of jerky on hand when in the ruins, to manage health and sanity. Typically speaking, my ventures into the ruins go pretty smoothly, as long as I bring the jerky. 

Raspberry Milkshake presents: A summarised version of ruins spelunking.

Alright, if my calculations are correct, the ruins should be up there.

Wait, no, go west.

No, east.

Godammit I got lost and I've ran out of lightbulbs.

**** ITS A GLOWORM

Edited by Raspberry Milk
  • Haha 2

So, I have drawn some things I do want to post here, but my scanner is being especially aggravating, so those will have to wait, unfortunately...

Until then, continuing with the Wolfgang Nonsense, I found his rain quote to be strangely amusing. If he starts to get wet he says 'Water Time.' I imagined him saying that really dramatically with a hairflip. Well, I tried to animate it, with... Uncertain results.
I added voice to one version of it but, trust me, you don't want that one.

Wolfgang with my voice just sounds... Wrong. 

But if you can imagine him saying 'water time' then this should work. 
I'm not the most skilled animator but at least it's something. It didn't come out as expected either. 

Spoiler

WaterTime.thumb.gif.f1a0f97ba8370ee5e7c0e85bce7ecd08.gif

His hair is wet, if you're wondering why it's so floppy. 
I had to slow down the frames for the sake of timing. I believe between the moving frames, there are too many moving variables (Shirt stripes, position of hair) causing it to look strange.
These things should have only moved when he turned his head and I should have used copy-past once it was stationary and in our direction. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Raspberry Milk said:

It's really quite hypnotizing actually.

Probably in a weird way for sure, Wolfgang may not be the most aesthetic character to animate. Thanks nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Kind of a shame we can't get Emmet or Ron Perlman on stand by so he could voice your quick gif.:wilson_ecstatic:

The gif flows nicely.

I feel like it's chunky but thanks.
I might try to have my father voice it but I don't know.   I mean, he's way closer to Wolfgang than I am just because he's not an adolescent girl, even if he isn't what comes to mind when one thinks of Wolfgang's voice. 

In the meantime... With regret, it seems the scanner shall forever continue to make my drawings too light. 
I tried to scan some of it anyway and hopefully people can forgive how low-quality of the scan.

Charlie

Spoiler

Here's a start. Someone asked for a more realistic portrait of Charlie which I did indeed work on. She's finished but she didn't feel right without Maxwell, or William, so I'm drawing him next to her, supposedly bowing to the crowd. He's just a sketch right now though. 
charlierealisti2c_png_by_gallusvarius-dc
As Wilson would say, Maxwell looks kinda sketchy in this picture.

As usual the scanner decided to be evil. I forced it to show some of the shading, but some you can't see. Look closely at her nose to see some of it... The shoulder-neck-collar bone things used to be darker too, and all sorts of things. It's rather disappointing. The sketch of Maxwell is also more visible, far more visible, in person. Like, for one thing, in person, he actually has sketchy legs. The scanner destroyed said legs entirely, to explain the situation. 

Wolfgang Nonsense - Round 2! 

Spoiler

wolfgangnonsense2_by_gallusvarius-dcqzsr

He has such an intense quote for drying meat. I figured it was only fitting to put Wigfrid next to him, as she'd definitely join in the 'yell at the meat so it dries faster' ritual. Meanwhile, Wilson is studying their strange behavior.

Wolfgang's quote for a burning tree is 'Broke it.'  Like, actively burning. I thought that was funny as well, but wanted to make sure it was clear that he set the tree on fire, so I added a little more to the quote. Maybe I should have had him point to a burning tree and say 'Broke it' instead, using the gesture of pointing to indicate... 

Triumphant Wolfgang and Normal Wolfgang:

Spoiler

wolfgangbully_by_gallusvarius-dcqzu7g.pn

Some kind of fight it seconds away here.
I always figured 'Triumphant' Wolfgang might 'noogy' the other character's heads. Wilson in particular is opposed to having his hair messed up, and he's the typical victim for so much already, he seemed the proper victim for this too. Normal Wolfgang has just walked into the scene and is about to do something about his counterpart's behavior, no worries. 
The tree in the back-ground is tree-practice. It's a crate-murdle tree. 

This one also really suffered from the scanner's 'Let's make everything way too bright YAAY' 

Icecream Thwarts the Shadow Creature Nightmare Things: 

Spoiler

wendy_and_webber_eat_icecream_by_gallusv

Wendy and Webber enjoy some icecream, while frustrated attackers find that their chance to hunt has disappeared. 
My favorite is the Crawling Horror pouting on Webber's rock. 
I'm sure Wendy has some remark about how Icecream can't solve the horrors of the world but how that, maybe for a little while, it can hold them off. Or maybe something like that. Or maybe she's thinking about how Abigail loved icecream? DID Abigail love icecream? Find out next time on... Wait, I don't know that myself.

Cave Action with Wigfrid: 

Spoiler

ruinsrun_by_gallusvarius-dcqzvh6.png

I can kill bunnymen pretty easily but hoards of them are another story. Sometimes they seem to chase you endlessly. 
Here we have Wigfrid, for once running from battle, though I'm sure she has a plan in mind. It's not a fair fight after all. 
The bunnies suffered from the scanner.
Also I should have made her left leg a little longer and let her foot fall off the page a bit for the sake of proportion, now I look back on it. But I was trying to make it fit so it'd look less weird. Now it just looks weird in a different way. Oh well, I'll try better next time. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 6

On 11/2/2018 at 2:09 AM, gallusvarius said:

So, I have drawn some things I do want to post here

Oooh, so much stuff!

A few of my favorite things: 

Smooth animation is really.... a pain. Yours looks great! Wolfgang's hair is very floppy indeed. 

So many Wolfgang shenanigans too heh

On 11/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, gallusvarius said:

Charlie

OOOOH Charlie! She seems so serene. Alas, poor Maxwell! To have suffered the wrath of the scanner.

My favorite is the Crawling Horror pouting on Webber's rock. 

Same.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Auspice said:

Smooth animation is really.... a pain. Yours looks great! Wolfgang's hair is very floppy indeed. 

So many Wolfgang shenanigans too heh

Thanks! I'm surprised people think it looks good. I just see all the painful mistakes. 

Wolfgang is a really funny character, as I've been learning. In some ways, a little bit less indestructible than Wigfrid... I've had some close calls with the simplest things, or been down to 2-8 HP at times when I least expect it. 
I keep trying to play him like Wigfrid instead of going into 'Walani/Wes' mode because, I mean, 300 HP and armor, plus double damage, what is there to fear?
Decreasing hunger is to be feared. Also when he powers down the animation kinda stuns you.
The double damage, extra speed and 300 health is great, but it only lasts quite like that for a few seconds before, like any hunger rate, it starts to dwindle away along with his stomach. 

20 hours ago, Auspice said:

OOOOH Charlie! She seems so serene. Alas, poor Maxwell! To have suffered the wrath of the scanner.

Yeah. I wanted to capture her bright and cheery/innocent expression but also some realism, to make it believable. I feel satisfied except for her over-sized head... Why do I keep doing that? 
Oh well.   I still hope to finish Maxwell and hopefully the scanner will BEHAVE once I scan it again for him.

• Like 1

1. wolfgangbully_by_gallusvarius-dcqzu7g.pn
  2. wendy_and_webber_eat_icecream_by_gallusv
  3. ruinsrun_by_gallusvarius-dcqzvh6.png
  1. I like the concept of characters encountering their triumphant halfs. Makes sense evil-Wolfgang would be a bully in contrast to the ray of sunshine Wolfgang.
  2. Another sweet moment between friends. Friendship probably raises sanity.:wilson_sneaky:
  3. Wigfrid is probably a bunyman's worst nightmare. The bunnymen are basically a vegan cult.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

I like the concept of characters encountering their triumphant halfs. Makes sense evil-Wolfgang would be a bully in contrast to the ray of sunshine Wolfgang.

I like the concept too, hence me drawing it. 
There may be more evil-half meetings in the future. 

Another sweet moment between friends. Friendship probably raises sanity

I bet it does. Though, if gameplay-wise two characters could raise sanity merely by doing some activity merely initiated between the two of them, players would just spam it to farm sanity, so as of far, only pigs and bunnymen can offer sanity-raising friendship in a gameplay sense. It's sort of amusing. 

Wigfrid is probably a bunyman's worst nightmare. The bunnymen are basically a vegan cult.

Yeah.
I always thought of it more like some kind of religion - They say 'Unclean,' when attacking, a term more or less used/translated from old Hebrew and Hindu concepts. (It's not just a Jewish/Hebrew thing, the Hindus actually had a similar concept and even regarded very similar things as being 'unclean.' Many forms of meat were regarded as being 'unclean,' eating them would make you unclean and so would touching them, and such was seen as criminal or despicable depending on the circumstance. Looks like Bunnymen to me. )
I wonder if living close to the ruins, full of ancient guardians and forgotten 'deities,' might have influenced this 'culture/religion' they developed. 

So, a long time ago I was watching my father play a game of Shipwrecked, where I challenged him to use no touchstones and no ALT-F4. He could make effigies but that was never an option as one will soon see.
He was doing extremely well, survived his first dry season, everything was going just fine. We found the volcano, a dodo, I believe the Yaarctopus, and many more good things.
We build a lot of fish farms, and a ship yard to repair our boats, buoys so we could repair our boats at night with the eternal light buoys produce.... We built a few ballphin palaces a distance away, to fight any crocodogs that might try to plunder our farms.  Some open-water ballphins he befriended earlier followed him back home and sat right at the shipyard, but we thought that was okay.

Well, he tried to get to land and was trying to click on the shore to get off as his boat was done repairing, but he accidentally clicked the ballphin that was sleeping right next to shore, therein attacking it. Then they all started attacking him and instantly destroyed the boat and killed him, right next to his own camp. The very creatures he was looking to for protection. 
It was an extremely painful moment. My father kind of exclaimed, or went 'AAAUGHH.' When he actually died, as he was stressing out/panicking for the short moment the dolphins were still in the process of killing him, he was trying to get to shore still but didn't make it. 

I felt the pain too though.
I hadn't really been drawing at the time and this was made during my past silence, but I drew this only an hour after the incident. It's not really very refined at all, it's pretty awkward and bad, but I just wanted to get the idea out and I wasn't patient at the time.   

theballphinbiteswarly_by_gallusvarius-dc

Though we actually attacked the ballphin, I found it more funny (And more plausible, as we never wanted to attack the ballphin to begin with, we suspect neither would Warly.) to assume maybe the ballphins started it.
Real dolphins are quite unpredictable and it would be possible for the exact same thing to happen with real dolphins, except that you'd need a pretty shabby boat for them to actually destroy it. A whale would be different. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, minespatch said:

Reminds me of people's reactions of Pogs in Hamlet. The idea of a killer ballphin is hilarious and the cool colors adds to the moody and mysterious tone of the piece.

Thanks.
I wasn't really aiming for atmosphere or a moody feel, but I did want to experiment with 'Blue buoy light in hurricane season by the darkness of night' when I did this. 

• Like 1

So, sorry about half of this one being old, but I finished Maxwell and I tried to get a better scan on both of them + darken the shading on Charlie a little so it shows up in the scanner... 

maxwellandcharlie_by_gallusvarius-dcrk5u
I should have made the left side of Maxwell's nose (His left, our right) a little lighter and did better with shading on that....
It sort of did better with Charlie but in the delicate areas like her face and collarbone. But this seems to be the best I'll get. 

Maxwell seems a bit shorter because he is supposed to be bowing. 
There was a lot more shading going on that, as usual, the scanner did not pick up, but I think this is good enough for me now. 

Edit: AAAAH I forgot her gloves! Oi, how could I forget that...
Uh, pretend she took them off for some reason, seeing as William/Maxwell isn't supposed to be wearing his glasses at the same time as his pin-striped suit. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 5

On 11/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, gallusvarius said:

I felt the pain too though.

....... The tragedy. 

I can feel it through Warly's unsuspecting smile, and his shocked face.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:58 AM, gallusvarius said:

I finished Maxwell and I tried to get a better scan on both of them + darken the shading on Charlie a little so it shows up in the scanner... 

Looking good! So much effort in Maxwell's suit, and the angle is nicely done.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, minespatch said:

It's nice to see you try your technique on these two, I just think the drawing would've worked better if Maxwell's eyes were headed upward rather than inward. I'm guessing this was when William was slowly shirting to Maxwell?

I was having trouble with his eyes and didn't exactly know what to do with them. I tried to ask family members for help, namely my mother, who is a very good artist, particularly with realism.   She didn't seem to think I had them wrong, though I felt something was off....

What do you mean by 'upward' vs 'inward' eyes? 
If no one is able to tell, his eyes are closed right now. 

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

Looking good! So much effort in Maxwell's suit, and the angle is nicely done.

Thanks! 
Wilson is up next. I don't think I can do just his face, I feel like it might be too normal. I'll try to do a little of his chest so I can make his hair fit anyway. 

I'm still up for suggestions on characters to try and draw this way, if anyone is wondering. 

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

....... The tragedy. 

I can feel it through Warly's unsuspecting smile, and his shocked face.

It was painful. 
You THOUGHT those ballphins were innocent, but nope...

If you go as Webber, I think they will treat you like any monster as usual and therein attack you. 

• Like 2

So, I've been playing Hamlet a bit... For one thing, it's quite fun. I mean, I like SW too, maybe more still, but it's fun, especially with how very 'new' it is to me.
And one of the most startling things happened. I'll shove it all in a spoiler for those who want Hamlet to be a surprise for themselves. There's just a comic in it about what happened to me. 

Spoiler

I was fighting off a hoard of bats early humid season in my second year, day 40 or so of Hamlet. I had gone as WX since I noticed the thunder-birds shooting lightning, and I wanted to test that out for myself. So I was kinda charging myself 24/7. 
Then this enormous dark shadow started flying overhead, like the flying silhouette you saw in the trailers. Yeah. That. I was very alarmed and left the proximity of my city after the bats had been defeated, watching as the shadow got larger and larger with each passing...

It seemed to be half the size of my town, and then it landed. An enormous head was constantly following me and moving just as fast as I was. Which, seeing as I was a charged WX, that's fast and definitely faster than the normal character speed. 
It's following alarmed me, but I suspected it wanted to attack me or something and I was gonna fight it. But first... I noticed it was following me and I could see it's feet, and I wanted to see what would happen if I lead it's head between  it's legs and kept going. Would it still be able to follow me, what would it do?
So I ran between it's legs and kept going, buuut... It started to turn around and stepped on me in the process, and I instantly died. 
It was hilarious, to me at least. Both my deaths in Hamlet have been kind of funny to me so far, since they are as of far the result of being new to Hamlet. 

I later looked on the wiki to do research, to see if maybe Wigfrid could have survived being stepped on, since she can live through Big Foot stepping on her if she has her helmet on. In my research I found, the BFB, as it is called, stands for Big Friendly Bird, probably in reference to the book Big Friendly Giant, or BFG. 
Apparently the bird transports you to the fourth island. It was following me/WX because it wanted to take me to it's nest, whereas I thought it was looking for a fight like every other thing that runs up to you in that game. (Bearger, deerclops, hounds, dragonfly, moosegoose, bats, crocodogs, sealnado... If It COMES to YOU, it usually wants a fight.  Just not the BFB?)    After I died it continuously try to pick up my dead body as if it still wanted to take me to the fourth island, with it's uh. head inside a head inside a head that extends out... I mistook this behavior as consuming items/food that I dropped upon death. 

Well, now that I've rambled a lot, here's the comic. 

wxansbfb_by_gallusvarius-dcs5c43.png

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 11/16/2018 at 6:28 PM, minespatch said:

WX meets a giant version of the bird from UP.:wilson_sneaky:

I've seen the files but your comic reminded me of the movie.

Not familiar with a movie called UP?
It sounds interesting, if it has a bird like this. 

32 minutes ago, Auspice said:

That really is quite something

Yeah, I was really alarmed, indeed, but... Also, it's amazingly creative. Just seeing this thing, it hit me how intensely creative the world of Don't Starve is, storyline and all. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, minespatch said:

IT's the Pixar film with the old man.

8 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

It's the one where the old man with the square head accidentally kidnaps the child by telling him to go under the deck until the magic bird comes.

OH. Yes, that one! I thought UP was an abbreviation, like Universal Pears or something.  I like that movie. 

• Haha 1