Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

On 8/7/2018 at 8:36 AM, gallusvarius said:

Tell me which one you guys like the best, I guess?

Honestly I like the third one the best. You can see all the details perfectly, it seems :)

On 8/7/2018 at 8:36 AM, gallusvarius said:

I don't know if it's easy to tell or not, but he's hands-and-knees on the ground.

Dw, I was able to tell ^_^ don't forget he's usually guarded by clockworks but they may not have looked right in the pic here. I dunno...

On 8/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, gallusvarius said:

You can suggest a character I've already done like this

I would but you're already drawn her >u< maybe Willow or Wilson?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

Dw, I was able to tell ^_^ don't forget he's usually guarded by clockworks but they may not have looked right in the pic here. I dunno...

On 8/6/2018 at 11:45 PM, gallusvarius said:

He is, but the clockworks are hidden/don't appear until you mine down the Maxwell Statues.  Before mining the statues, you can walk right up to him, as I did in this screenshot. 

Spoiler

A8E6F56ACE9C340A81B438C6D32BEF9FC4EB89E9

You can just run circles around him or whatever, until you mine down the statues that then summon the clockworks. 

maybe Willow or Wilson?

I'll add it to my list of options. Next time I'm out or waiting on a bus I'll see about doing one of those two, perhaps eventually both. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 4:36 PM, gallusvarius said:

Verdant Wigfrid wandering about grassy fields and lush forests under the rising full moon.

Very nice. There's a lot of detail here, with the stones, trees, and Wigfrid herself. 

I think I like the black and white with full darkness the most, since it preserves the most definition and detail, but the gray background might not be desirable. 

a dramatic little tidbit for Wes.

Ngh. Gotta love that angst. In the Constant, you live an eternity, but in that tiny box where everything is truly constant... it's enough, you might say, to drive someone insane.

On 8/7/2018 at 12:45 AM, gallusvarius said:

One of these things, but for Wigfrid.

Oooh, I like it! I do get the feeling of dimension from her face, and the detail in the ears are great. 

Perhaps, if you want to go for more realism, add more detail and dimension to the eyelids? And maybe a softer separation of her lips - separation by shading, for instance, instead of a line.

Does anyone want to suggest a character they might be excited to see drawn in this way?

Well. I'd certainly be interested to see how you would tackle Wilson. Oh! Or maybe Charlie.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Auspice said:

I think I like the black and white with full darkness the most, since it preserves the most definition and detail, but the gray background might not be desirable. 

That's essentially how I felt.. Still, maybe it's better than loosing out on my details. 

Ngh. Gotta love that angst. In the Constant, you live an eternity, but in that tiny box where everything is truly constant... it's enough, you might say, to drive someone insane.

Especially the two 'Maxwell basking in his triumph' statues constantly glaring you down, and the constant either rain or snow and frequent darkness of Adventure-mode. 
The two worlds Wes is able to appear on; One of them, Cold reception, constantly snows or rains, one of the two, never really gives you a break. The other, King of Winter - Just infinite winter, for ever. 
Cold reception has a one-segment day period and the rest is afternoon.
Poor Wes can't be killed by Charlie in that trap of Maxwell's, but I'm sure he has suffered Them whispering to him in the dark or something. 
In other words yeah - While my own interpretation of Wes isn't 'psychopathic,' I bet you he's probably seriously claustrophobic now, at the very least.
But all the characters probably have their past struggles.

Well. I'd certainly be interested to see how you would tackle Wilson. Oh! Or maybe Charlie.

Ooo! Charlie sounds fun! 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

In other words yeah - While my own interpretation of Wes isn't 'psychopathic,' I bet you he's probably seriously claustrophobic now, at the very least.

Maybe he doesn't have any memory of being trapped?... Or atleast only has remnants of it.

• Like 1

Just now, DragonMage156 said:

Maybe he doesn't have any memory of being trapped?... Or atleast only has remnants of it.

That's a possible theory, but not sure it has anything to prove it... Nothing stands against it either. It's up to one's own decision, I imagine. Some prefer to see Wes as definitely crazy and potentially bloodthirsty... I don't, and I guess we have a little more for that, Klei clearly depicts him as giving out valentines cards, so he must be kind somewhere. 
Sometimes kindness and good nature can come out of suffering, though, so again, it could go either way. My Wes is nice but doesn't want to be left alone because of remembering how long he was alone in that box; I mean, none of them want to leave the group, I imagine, but he's one of the ones who doesn't want to leave even more. Doesn't want to be left alone and doesn't like small spaces/being confined. If you made him walk through a thin passage in a cave or something, he'd probably get anxious, I guess - But this is just 'my' interpretation for him, and this doesn't have much to stand on either. 

Anyway. Basically, if you want to think he can't remember it, there's no reason not to. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Anyway. Basically, if you want to think he can't remember it, there's no reason not to. 

Not "doesn't remember it", maybe he still has nightmares/flashbacks to when Maxwell trapped him and left him for dead or something like that.

Your theory is also very possible and I like the idea :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Not "doesn't remember it", maybe he still has nightmares/flashbacks to when Maxwell trapped him and left him for dead or something like that.

That's definitely interesting... 
If you don't mind, I'd adopt that into my own interpretation, definitely seems like he should get nightmares/flashbacks. I would just add it in addition to the 'don't leave me alone and don't make me go through small spaces.'   <--- I don't see those two as especially drastic, just traits gained after his experiences.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Some prefer to see Wes as definitely crazy and potentially bloodthirsty... I don't, and I guess we have a little more for that, Klei clearly depicts him as giving out valentines cards, so he must be kind somewhere. 

Huh, interesting. I think of Wes as kind-hearted and lonely. And with high levels of emotional empathy and understanding. And with a playful, mischievous streak. I'd also think he still has nightmares about his time trapped, but still hasn't forgotten. Definitely yes for claustrophobia as well.

• Like 1

Wes napping in a tent. Suddenly starts whimpering and jolting around. Wigfrid notices and comes in to wake him up, somewhat concerned (without being out of character). Suddenly Wes hugs her cos he was so scared of the nightmares.

I just wanted to drop this thought here. You could take it as shippy or platonic, it can go either way.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Auspice said:

Huh, interesting. I think of Wes as kind-hearted and lonely. And with high levels of emotional empathy and understanding. And with a playful, mischievous streak. I'd also think he still has nightmares about his time trapped, but still hasn't forgotten. Definitely yes for claustrophobia as well.

We seem to have the same ideas about Wes. 

I just wanted to drop this thought here. You could take it as shippy or platonic, it can go either way.

Hmm. Interesting idea, especially because it could be anyone. I COULD have Wicker come check on him because she 1. Can't sleep and would notice him rolling around and 2. Mothers over everyone, and it would be really awkward for them both in that situation. 
I can see why you'd favor Wigfrid for the role, though. 

• Like 2

1. verdantwigfriddarkest_by_gallusvarius-dc
  2. trappedmime_by_gallusvarius-dcje81r.png=
  1. Beautiful work on the background! Wouldn't look out of place in Tove Janson's Moomin. Interesting take on the Verdant skin. Her skin is supposed to be patterned after Ghibli's Princess Mononoke, but you went for more of a survivor prom dress vibe with this.
  2. Every DS artist should tackle Wes's trap sometime. Mine came out more like a Disney piece due to me being inspired by Tom Waits's Eyeball Kid, but here you went more for the depression aspect of being trapped. Really relatable to anyone who's ever felt like they couldn't escape a situation.

wigfridportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcjfkdh.

The nubby alicorn head is too adorable for words. It contrasts with her determined expression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Her skin is supposed to be patterned after Ghibli's Princess Mononoke,

Oh, I didn't know that. I mean, I kinda felt it and knew it, and now with the short hair it really makes sense, but I didn't know that was their aim. Neat. 
Thanks, I worked a lot on the backround.
I kinda wasn't against her looking like Mononoke in my piece either. I didn't remember how her verdant skin precisely looked, except that it had a skirt, so I tried to do some ragged layers of cloth, tattered and carried by the wind a little. It must look like a prom dress because I had no reference... 

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

Every DS artist should tackle Wes's trap sometime. Mine came out more like a Disney piece due to me being inspired by Tom Waits's Eyeball Kid, but here you went more for the depression aspect of being trapped. Really relatable to anyone who's ever felt like they couldn't escape a situation.

I agree, it's a dramatic scene. I wonder why more don't draw from it, really. 
Maybe I can do something digital for it in the next ten thousand years that would be more dramatic and fitting.

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

The nubby alicorn head is too adorable for words. It contrasts with her determined expression.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:42 PM, gallusvarius said:

COULD have Wicker come check on him

Wicker best mom but it can be anyone really.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:48 AM, gallusvarius said:

I agree, it's a dramatic scene. I wonder why more don't draw from it, really. 

AileenRose drew it at one point. I think it's on DA.

• Like 1

Okay, Okay, here I am. I'm gonna try and come back from the dead again as things have finally slowed down and been a little less busy. 

I think part of my disappearance was that I  - As I said in the beginning of this topic of mine - Have 'waves' of interests and the interest hit a trough, but now I think I'm reviving again. 
The other part of it was feeling the need to say something to everyone's stuff and not having the time to keep up with it. Particularly for Auspice and Resette, because their stuff is JUST THAT NEAT but at the same time I can't keep up with their levels of productivity-

In my silence I also wasn't drawing much either, or at all, so I didn't have incentive to show anything or to be here except to remark on others, so that added into decreasing interest. 

So, I actually finished this a while ago but forgot to scan and post it, because I have an annoying laziness about scanning. Furthermore, I'm very disappointed with my scanner, as I feel it didn't do my drawing justice. 

willowportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcqq7ab.p

This was a portrait for Willow. But you can't even see her neck, much less the subtle and very essential shading I applied to all of this!
Even in the preview scan, I got some of it to marginally show, but once it scanned - Nope, gone. 
At least you can clearly see my lightning-bug, though. 
I will try taking a picture of this one, maybe. Maybe a camera will do better...

wendyclocks_by_gallusvarius-dcqq7b3.png

Oh, it seems I had this one slanted, whoops... Oh well, the good parts of the picture are in it.
I drew this a while ago as well, while on that trip, we visited this very interesting store full of random doodads, and in one room it was full of ultra-fancy clocks! I rapidly started sketching them down as quickly as I could, as well as one of their fancy chairs, to try and make a very interesting drawing with it.
Unfortunately the scanner decided to murder the fireplace on the right, but otherwise, I do feel that for once the details I invest are unusually visible. 
This is Wendy's Victorian/Gorge skin, for those unfamiliar with it. 

wolfgangquotes_by_gallusvarius-dcqq79n.p

Last but not least, some nonsense. 
I was playing Wolfgang, since many think he's really good and I wanted to try it out. So far I'm not ultra-impressed but he's not bad either, gameplay wise.  However, some of his quotes are pretty funny. I wanted to illustrate some of them.
All of them aren't even illustrated here and some depicted here are slightly modified, like the evil flower being a potato. 
In the corner - Me and my Not-Wendy-Maining-Sister were playing DST and she went as Wolfgang and I as Winona, so we could  try out some new characters... She examined a clothes hanger and discovered Wolfgangs 'I skinny and bendy like clown-man Wes' quote, and then asked for the wes-hanger up there. 
There may be more quote drawings, at least for Wolfgang, in the future because there were more I wanted to do. 

As of all the cool stuff that has been posted by other people... I'll be trying to catch up if I can. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

willowportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcqq7ab.p
wendyclocks_by_gallusvarius-dcqq7b3.png
wolfgangquotes_by_gallusvarius-dcqq79n.p

The lightning bugs are jerks to me due to them dissipating whenever I walk to them but this drawing is a nice moment of tranquility for Willow.

Interesting your trip to a fancy furniture store is pretty much in tone with the current additions Klei is adding to Hamlet. This looks like what Wendy would add to her house.

Wolfgang's a pretty sweet character. His viewpoint makes him a simple minded character in a good way.:wilson_smile:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

The lightning bugs are jerks to me due to them dissipating whenever I walk to them but this drawing is a nice moment of tranquility for Willow.

Interesting your trip to a fancy furniture store is pretty much in tone with the current additions Klei is adding to Hamlet. This looks like what Wendy would add to her house.

Wolfgang's a pretty sweet character. His viewpoint makes him a simple minded character in a good way

Heh, me too. I'm sure they're gonna leave Willow soon too except for that single firefly, but don't worry, she's got her lighter. 

It was a long time ago, but yeah, I've seen some of the Hamlet stuff. I'm really excited for it. 

I definitely agree! I've thought for a long time now that Wolfgang was a sweet character at heart. I feel it's important to emphasize his nice-ness because it seems like some people dislike him because of the reputation he gets from the youtuber Edgy Rick. 
I don't regularly watch youtube, but I know enough about Don't Starve that I pick up on the names of the youtubers... 
I guess I'm saying I wanna combat the reputation he gets that isn't really even in character for him. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

it seems like some people dislike him because of the reputation he gets from the youtuber Edgy Rick. 
I don't regularly watch youtube, but I know enough about Don't Starve that I pick up on the names of the youtubers... 
I guess I'm saying I wanna combat the reputation he gets that isn't really even in character for him. 

Wait, really? From what I've seen everybody loves Wolfgang, but he's one of those characters that's kinda niece as a dumb strong guy with a heart of gold stereotype who can't really be put into many situations. I do love Wolfgang as a character and ought to draw him sometime as soon as I stop wasting away my life drawing anime characters, but I've only really played him what... 3 times? Edgy Rick however....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I'm very disappointed with my scanner, as I feel it didn't do my drawing justice.

Oh yeah, scanners cannot handle pencil very well. It's infuriating. But at least we got that lovely little firefly to the left.

interesting store full of random doodads

Hey, these are pretty cool! Good job on capturing the important details in a readable way. Also, on an unrelated note, you did quite well on the shape of Wendy's legs and feet. They look relaxed.

Wolfgang

I especially like the one where he's hugging the crock pot with his nose on the lid. It's comical and really communicates his eagerness.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Wait, really? From what I've seen everybody loves Wolfgang, but he's one of those characters that's kinda niece as a dumb strong guy with a heart of gold stereotype who can't really be put into many situations. I do love Wolfgang as a character and ought to draw him sometime as soon as I stop wasting away my life drawing anime characters, but I've only really played him what... 3 times? Edgy Rick however....

It's mixed.
On the Forums people really focus on the character, but I had some experiance outside the primary artist community before I came to it. 

I've been playing Wolfgang a bit. I think the thing I like most so far is his ability to eat so much so I have an excuse to eat all the food I produce, because I seriously over-produce food when left to a camp.
...Even a wolfgang running on a full stomache 24/7, I still have some turkey dinner rotting in the fridge, 20 bacon and eggs, some butter muffins, pierogies, and fishsticks, about three meatballs, and the occasional dragon-pie but I usually save my dragonfruit and turn them into seeds for later because I feel overwhelmed by all the food. 
I do better supporting a wolfgang (Or maybe more than one!) as opposed to being a single one, I believe.
But so far, I almost feel that he's worth playing for his funny quotes. 
At least I have some new analysis on his play-style though. 

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Oh yeah, scanners cannot handle pencil very well. It's infuriating. But at least we got that lovely little firefly to the left.

Yeah. It was worth it for the firefly. 

Hey, these are pretty cool! Good job on capturing the important details in a readable way. Also, on an unrelated note, you did quite well on the shape of Wendy's legs and feet. They look relaxed.

Thanks. I'm fairly proud of this piece, I'm glad others can see why. 

I especially like the one where he's hugging the crock pot with his nose on the lid. It's comical and really communicates his eagerness

Yeah, that's my sister's favorite too. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Okay, Okay, here I am. I'm gonna try and come back from the dead again as things have finally slowed down and been a little less busy.

I think part of my disappearance was that I  - As I said in the beginning of this topic of mine - Have 'waves' of interests and the interest hit a trough, but now I think I'm reviving again.

GASP You're back!

The other part of it was feeling the need to say something to everyone's stuff and not having the time to keep up with it. Particularly for Auspice and Resette, because their stuff is JUST THAT NEAT but at the same time I can't keep up with their levels of productivity-

:0 Thank you gosh

Oof though
Take as much time as you need to do whatever you feel like doing or not doing.

a portrait for Willow

Your eyes have great details as always. I like the lightning-bug as well

My continued condolences regarding your scanner! I can see the hints of some shading. 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:29 AM, gallusvarius said:

ultra-fancy clocks!

Oh gosh I love this! The intricacies and detailing are lovely. 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:29 AM, gallusvarius said:

Last but not least, some nonsense. 

pffft

I've never played Wolfgang so this is all new to me

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Even a wolfgang running on a full stomache 24/7, I still have some turkey dinner rotting in the fridge, 20 bacon and eggs, some butter muffins, pierogies, and fishsticks, about three meatballs, and the occasional dragon-pie but I usually save my dragonfruit and turn them into seeds for later because I feel overwhelmed by all the food.

When I was playing some Hamlet a while ago, the first thing I did was go spelunking and grab all the junk from the royal palace. I then learnt the hard way that they give you food as well as gold, which may sound like a good thing at first, but try lugging 8 spoiling butter muffins around in your backpack.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

When I was playing some Hamlet a while ago, the first thing I did was go spelunking and grab all the junk from the royal palace. I then learnt the hard way that they give you food as well as gold, which may sound like a good thing at first, but try lugging 8 spoiling butter muffins around in your backpack.

Ouch.
I use buttermuffins for healing, so if I have some good fresh ones, I might try a little extra risk - nothing too much of course - because I know I can heal myself afterwards. 
I do that often, in fact, I actually make hoards of jerky for that very cause - Eating for sanity or health rather than hunger... I make unnecessary amounts of jerky. In the same fridge with wolfgang I'm having trouble with space management because, in addition to all the normal food I have two and a half stacks of small jerky (Over 80), and a little over one stack of normal/large jerky. 
I had a previous frog rain and brought it to the tallbird fort nearby, but also, I trap rabbits and dry the meat. 

However, on the DST world I have with my family, where we have a lot of people, the obsessive food collecting is useful. It's also nice to have a stack of jerky on hand when in the ruins, to manage health and sanity. Typically speaking, my ventures into the ruins go pretty smoothly, as long as I bring the jerky.