Data Mining, Theorizing, Art Assets, Sprite Sheets, & More! (SPOILERS!)

Found the artifact texts:

Spoiler

AMELIASWATCH
Wrist Watch
It was discovered in a package labeled "To be entrusted to Dr. Walker".

Bioluminescent Rock
A thriving colony of tiny, microscopic organisms is responsible for giving it its bluish glow.

Blender
Equipment used to conduct experiments answering the age-old question, "Could that blend"?

BRICKPHONE
Strange Brick
It still works.

DNAMODEL
Double Helix Model
An educational model of genetic information.

Egg-Shaped Rock
It's unclear whether this is its naturally occurring shape, or if its appearance as been sculpted.

Pristine Fossil
The preserved bones of an early species of Hatch.

Magma Lamp
The sequel to "Lava Lamp".

Modern Art
I don't get it.

Moldavite
A unique green stone formed from the impact of a meteorite.

Moonmoonmoon
A moon's moon's moon. It's very small.

Small Obelisk
A rectangular stone piece.
Its function is unclear.

Office Mug
An intermediary place to store espresso before you move it to your mouth.

OKAYXRAY
Old X-Ray
Ew, weird. It has five fingers!

Percolator
Don't drink from it! There was a pacu... IN the percolator!

Plasma Lamp
No space colony is complete without one.

Egg-Shaped Rock
It's unclear whether this is its naturally occurring shape, or if its appearance as been sculpted.\n\nThis one is rainbow coloured.

Robot Arm
It's not functional. Just cool.

Tornado Rock
It's unclear how it formed, although I'm glad it did.

Rubik's Cube
This mystery of the universe has already been solved.

Sandstone
A beautiful rock composed of multiple layers of sediment.

Mangled Saxophone
The name "Pesquet" is barely legible on the inside.

Shield Generator
A mechanical prototype capable of producing a small section of shielding.

Sink
No collection is complete without it.

Self-Contained System
A marvel of the cosmos, inside this display is an entirely self-contained solar system.

Stethoscope
Listens to Duplicant heartbeats, or gurgley tummies.

Encrusted Teapot
A teapot from the depths of space, coated in a thick layer of Neutronium.

VHS
Archaic Tech
Be kind when you handle it. It's very fragile.

Fun fact: Apparently, there's something called "Amelia Stern Syndrome": https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1745922

Makes it even more likely that Amelia is really Jackie's middle name. There's not really much else to be found about this syndrome, though...

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pesquet

Not sure whether Pesquet is a new employee or not... according to the article, he really played the saxophone. I added the name to my list nonetheless.

I also updated my monster-txt. I'm thinking about reactivating my rusty LaTeX-skills and turning that thing into a pdf. It's getting kinda huge and hard to find stuff...

Also, numbers from A0-A9 and B1-B8 have been added to the lore entries. I think the lore unlocking system will get an overhaul before the release. Surprisingly, also the lore entries in my category "Old, not used" got numbers, so they might still get implemented, after all. :D

lore_entries.txt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

Hide contents

I could probably change it to a myriad of things...

In fact, I think I'm gonna see if I can test the limits on how far I can take this thing. :wilson_ecstatic:

If I wake up tomorrow and see an image of a dupe eating a hatch...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mooagain said:

If I wake up tomorrow and see an image of a dupe eating a hatch...

OH SH-

no_limits_hatch.png.9c9eb356ca898beaf929fb1a3d96818b.png

Spoiler

no_limits_slickster.png.c522d75086e623c0abf3e554d8fe104b.pngno_limits_thonk.png.ece336deb1472dd09456d2590986a938.png

THERE ARE NO LIMITS!!!

no_limits_self.png.e2c359df7f43eb8b79dd61ceb37295da.png

Spoiler

I know I'm going to have to remake almost all of these...but they're really just proofs of concept. 

5 hours ago, Lepeightl said:

Fun fact: Apparently, there's something called "Amelia Stern Syndrome": https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1745922

Makes it even more likely that Amelia is really Jackie's middle name. There's not really much else to be found about this syndrome, though...

It's...not really a thing. In fact it's worded so confusingly that I had to re-read it several times over and I'm still confused.

However that excerpt cites two sources, one's in Italian, and the other can be read here

Regardless, the little blurb you gave us basically says that research about the psychological impact on female physicians between maintaining a career and being a wife and mother. It then goes on to say that while these studies provide good research...they fail to display a fine tuned scope and the emotional side of things...

I'm sorry but isn't the purpose of studies and research to NOT bring emotion/bias into it? Also having a small sample size/cherry picking your subjects is also kinda the EXACT opposite of what scientists are supposed to do. 

tiredsipp.png.e5ea28931cc68509332e6045575c80d7.png

Spoiler

Also if you wanna make memes of this:

anim_eat_overeat.png.6254f426549a6451935f197234f1db9d.png

Just lemme know and I'll post the Spriter file here for your memeing pleasure. 

sipp.png.a8fabd4c892c9e87e5c62007ed3af3dd.png

• Haha 8

11 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Also if you wanna make memes of this:

anim_eat_overeat.png.6254f426549a6451935f197234f1db9d.png

Just lemme know and I'll post the Spriter file here for your memeing pleasure. 

Is it possible to have sprites that are not from ONI? Can you make him eat monster meat or monster lasagnas?

18 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

It's...not really a thing. In fact it's worded so confusingly that I had to re-read it several times over and I'm still confused.

However that excerpt cites two sources, one's in Italian, and the other can be read here

Regardless, the little blurb you gave us basically says that research about the psychological impact on female physicians between maintaining a career and being a wife and mother. It then goes on to say that while these studies provide good research...they fail to display a fine tuned scope and the emotional side of things...

I'm sorry but isn't the purpose of studies and research to NOT bring emotion/bias into it? Also having a small sample size/cherry picking your subjects is also kinda the EXACT opposite of what scientists are supposed to do. 

I was actually just hoping that somebody already heard/read about this and had something to contribute. :wilson_curious:

I'm not entirely sure how much this fits, either. We're neither talking about a physician, nor about a woman with a family (at least I'd guess so). However, if the whole 'Let's-colonize-a-planet-duh'-thing was really a rescue mission, and Gravitas Facility was thereby far more than a money-making business, the situation might not be unsimilar to that of a physician, as you deciding to go home early might cause people to die early. This might've caused her to keep pushing herself and everybody else to their limits, instead of, y'know, enjoying that little time they had left.

Would you mind telling me where you found those sources...? Abstracts don't directly cite any resources. Never ever. The only indirect 'resource' I can find is that novel (Perri Klass, Other Women's Children).

Well, basically you're right about that bias-thingy. However, having your assessment being influenced by your emotions and trying to assess emotions with valid scientific methods as a part of a psychological study are two completely different things.

I was able to download the whole paper via an university server. The author reported that things like suicide rates, alcoholism, anxiety etc. pp. have been measured. But I image that this doesn't help you a whole lot if you are a clinical psychiatrist and have to understand your patients' problem based on stuff like some autobiographic information and, well, their emotions.

"Don't worry, only xx.x% of women with an economic and social situation similar to yours try to attempt suicide. You'll be fine!"

This is where a novel like this seems to be pretty helpful as a first step to develop a deeper understanding.

I'm not trying to prove anything here. It's basically impossible, the only thing that can do that are further lore entries. However, there's absolutely nothing scientific about a theorizing thread, so it doesn't really matter, anyway. I'm just having fun~

So, you're absolutely correct if you wanted to say that this is no proof that Amelia is Jackie's middle name. The fact that a novel with a possible namesake exists with a situation that may or may be not applicable to the lore could still be pure coincidence. However, if it isn't, it would totally make my day. For now, it's just a nice little anecdote, as we already know that some names are based on real scientists or scientific theories (Maxwell *cough*, Marie Sklowdoska *cough cough*, Nikola Techna).

Amelia could still be Mae... I think? Would that be a plausible nickname?

I also pondered Jackie being Mae because of this. At least the personality description would fit, Jackie seems to be filled with determination. However, this admittedly seems a little far-fetched...

18 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

In fact it's worded so confusingly that I had to re-read it several times over and I'm still confused.

Oh, and, uhm... at that level of scientific literature, that's completely normal.

I'm sorry that I caused some confusion. I usually think a lot more about these things than I write down in the end, because I feel like most people don't care much about large texts. Should I change that...?

Edited by Lepeightl
I always seem to forget at least one word...

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

[content advisory]

DUDE!! PUT A WARNING BEFORE YOU POST STUFF LIKE THAT!

fear.png.0e2e5bebaea8a19d7b559100f15ef273.png

7 hours ago, Dovahkick said:

Is it possible to have sprites that are not from ONI? Can you make him eat monster meat or monster lasagnas?

monster_lasaga.png.5bf2aaa3f692e90ca6074a8591161912.png

Once again I must reiterate THERE ARE NO LIMITS!!!!

1 hour ago, Lepeightl said:

via an university server

Hate to be that person, but because "university" is pronounced with a consonant sound instead of a vowel it's "a university".

[snip]

Okay now I'm confused...what does any of this have to do with ONI? Trying to correlate a name with a random study that has no relation other than a singular matching letter is quite far-fetched, and this is coming from the crackpot-theorist herself.

Would you mind telling me where you found those sources...? Abstracts don't directly cite any resources. Never ever. The only indirect 'resource' I can find is that novel (Perri Klass, Other Women's Children).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/027795369190268H

I dunno, I still don't see the correlation with a physicist and a study about female physicians and work-related stress.

idk.png.ad4fa951a08564ab864964c11eb0395c.png

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Trying to correlate a name with a random study that has no relation other than a singular matching letter is quite far-fetched, and this is coming from the crackpot-theorist herself.

I'm well aware of that, that's why I initially decided to dedicate exactly three sentences to this anecdote. You are the one who took this up and turned it into a big issue.

35 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Hate to be that person, but because "university" is pronounced with a consonant sound instead of a vowel it's "a university".

Thanks for the free grammar check.

39 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

The articles you were referring to are citing, not cited.

I really hate this, this is nothing but unnecessary. I'm gonna come back when some new lore is being released...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lepeightl said:

[snip]

Spoiler

nazare.jpg

I'm confused but hey, whatever launches your rocket into the cosmos.

idk.png.ad4fa951a08564ab864964c11eb0395c.png

But in the future please refrain from posting these sorts of things here in the future. If you think it's related to the ONI lore, then maybe make a new thread because as it stands what you posted is off-topic to this particular discussion.

On 3/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, watermelen671 said:

Also why is Pluto there?

Pluto is a real planet! Don't be racist! (I know you're asking more out of curiosity but Pluto not being considered a planet still makes me sad ;u; )

On 3/8/2019 at 6:57 AM, watermelen671 said:

gronehogmound.png.e41e9f7dab23eed0059b7d8492d6c9e5.png

Isn't that a volgus mound?

On 3/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, watermelen671 said:

Once again I must reiterate THERE ARE NO LIMITS!!!!

Oh my god... THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!! XD

10 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Yes, however it's less of a mound than it is a cave...or whatever those Mant things are called, because the design is almost identical. 

Yeah I didn't see this page before I posted ^^; I wonder what happens to make them collapse. And can they even reproduce without them?