[Game Update] - 265438

2 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Test the hydrofans!
^^
"Help! A black hole ate my game!"

pretty sure aquatuners are what's making my game crash. Seem to be hitting the crash every time I finish building one. I guess if hydrofans are busted then the problem is with whatever function they both use since they share functionality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gooblender said:

double skinning abyssalite works it seems

Good. It adds some cost to abys but without completely nerfing it for people who like it.
It is a bit less overpowered now. ;p

Edited by Alpe12
  • Like 1

Just now, Alpe12 said:

Good. It adds some cost to abys but withou completely nerfing it for people who like it.

Good. It adds some cost to abys but withou completely nerfing it for people who like it.

Bit strange that a normal 2 thick wall of aby is now a better insulator than an insulated wall of aby for the same material cost. I suppose you could argue that density makes the difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kabrute said:

yeah the average between abysallites=abysallite so that makes sense, awesome job :) Looks like abys is not longer quite as OP as it once was :)

I can life with that, although it really feels sore all my bases are basically now ruined because of this. If it was just double layering the tiles I would be able to get my bases in safety, however I also have abyssalite gas pipes and liquid pipes to worry about, and that really ruins it because I never planned to have these encased in abyssalite tiles.

The really annoying part about that abyssalite thing is that it now matters from where you got the stuff. The bottom of my base is heating up quickly because there's a formerly thermally inert wall of 35+°C abyssalite tiles from a jungle biome boundary. Other parts are getting a bit chill; their walls came from an ice biome. All that specific heat capacity is hard to counter. Ah well, time to start over, I guess.

4 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

Bit strange that a normal 2 thick wall of aby is now a better insulator than an insulated wall of aby for the same material cost. I suppose you could argue that density makes the difference.

I think they will probably change insulated things to balance that. It's a bit weird now.

I don't have a problem with dupes vanishing and my aquatuner isn't crashing anything.  But..it isn't just abysallite that is a problem.  Insulated tiles now need to be double-walled as well.  I've got hot and cold leaking all over the place.

5adfa316efb3b_Screenshotat2018-04-2415-34-42.thumb.png.83719e53cf002797f2ba577cf7e017cc.png

The far right is a toxic biome.. as you can see, the air inside (hydrogen) has already started to cool down.  And my cold pool is now starting to leak cold into the base.

It would be simple enough to change the insulated versions of tiles/pipes to use the minimum thermal conductivity of two elements.  It would make sense too, they'd be acting as if they're multiple layers thick of the same material, which would justify the cost increase.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, onebit said:

Average of 0 and 1.

Arithmetic: (0 + 1) / 2 = .5

Geometric: [(0+1) x (1 + 1)]^(1/2) - 1 = .41

Not much difference and higher computational cost.

I think geometric would be waaay better for this. And possibly the cost in the entire scenario wouldn't be noticiable.

Hmm, looks to me that the new heat transference is making anything that's supposed to be insulated less insulated, I hope they'll either roll this back and come up with a different solution to the problem they were hoping to fix with this, or figure out a way to have insulation actually mean something again.

Just now, suicide commando said:

Hmm, looks to me that the new heat transference is making anything that's supposed to be insulated less insulated, I hope they'll either roll this back and come up with a different solution to the problem they were hoping to fix with this, or figure out a way to have insulation actually mean something again.

Didn't even take 1 cycle for my insulated tiles to go from 50 to 5 degrees XD

2 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

I suppose a possible fix for the insulation issues would be to if they could treat insulated tiles as a double skin of the tiles material. This would make insulated tiles actually mean something. 

1 hour ago, Cheerio said:
  • Thermal conductivity for heat exchange is now based on the average conductivity of the two elements instead of the minimum. This should improve the temperature exhchange of many things including radiant pipes.

Well, at least it was mentioned in the update notes. A very effective way to heat death the entire map quite fast I must say.

Guess we'll go back to the vacuum separated outer walled dwarven fortresses we made a year ago before abyssalite was a thing you could build stuff from. We have come full circle it seems.

Fortunately, Borg Cubes still work so we'll have to rely on those a lot more than before to have any chance of making a sustainable base, I guess.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2