Hi all,

So I have a small dedicated server installed on a linux VPS and I'm looking to change to a low cost dedicated one but i don't know if it worth it as the power of vCores look weak, as follow the spec of my vps and the dedicated :

vps: 1 vCore, 2,4 Ghz, 2GB ram

dedicated: Intel Atom N2800, 2c/4t 1,86Ghz, 4GB ddr3 1066Mhz

Looking at those specs the dedicated will probably run better, since it has mroe RAM, and more cores (2 physical vs 1), even though the cores themselves are clocked a bit lower. This will be more apparent on multishard servers (Overworld + Caves for example), since they have to run multiple worlds in parallel, so more cores + more RAM is what you want.

Also you have the guaranteed performance at all times, so you have more of a constant reliable performance instead of potential performance drops during heavy load times.

That being said, there might also be situations where your VPS will still perform better, for example if you need a high single core performance. (Heavy load spikes on a single shard, etc.)

So as with most tech things, to answer your question: It depends. In general the performance will most likely be better on the dedicated one, but in other occasions it might be worse. You can always try it out. If the dedicated server is actually not really better after all, you can always go back to your VPS you had before.

You might wanna look at Virtual Servers with dedicated cores, which many companies call "Root Servers". Essentially you'll have virtual cores of powerful processors for your server alone, and you aren't limited to weaker CPUs or lower amounts of RAM in case you decide to upgrade a bit. They usually are a bit more costly though, so always keep that in mind.

I finally rented a dedicated. It look like I have unusued resources so I'm looking to setup another world (cave included). I did duplicate MyDediServer and renamed it to MyDediServer2 but I'm stuck because I have no idea for the launch script.

I followed Tonio's guide to setup the first world, I've attached below the used scripts

start.sh

start2.sh

restart.sh

restart2.sh

If you duplicated your old DST instance you could just as well duplicate the startup scripts as well, right?

Just make sure that you replace all "MyDediServer" in your startup script with "MyDediServer2" if you rename your instance, and make sure that everything is in the correct location.

If you just copy it over, you might run into the problem that you can't launch the script itself, because you need to set the executable permission first using

chmod 744 <file name>

For example

chmod 744 start.sh

Archived