Sign in to follow this  
Swollson

Dont starve fanzine!!

Swollson    457
6 minutes ago, Yukaige said:

I have no idea what that is care to explain? :3

a fanzine is fandom-based magazine that usually features fanart, cosplay, fanfiction, or a mixture of the three!

im just gauging interest at the moment :)

here’s some example of fanzines (voltron fandom related fanzines): this and this

Swollson    457
15 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

hehehehe... sign me up.

glad to know theres some fanfiction writers out there! :D ive received quite a bit of artists interested in participating in the zine, so i was thinking of making it an art only zine. but if more writers show interest, i may make it part art part fanfic??

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Saw this on Tumblr. I'm all for it :)

Awesome!! :D im pretty surprised about the number of interests tbh! 

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Sounds like it'll be a task, how many pages per zine?

hahha yea, it'll be my first time managing an event like this hahah wish me luck! im thinking around 30-40 pages (so 30-40 artists?) that seems like the avg amount of pages when i glazed over other fanzines but we'll see once i get the official ball rolling

• Thanks 1

minespatch    74439

I'd like being a editor if that's a open position. I also have a TNBC crossover that  need editors on so if that can be submitted, that would be nice. Maybe @Aileen-Rose will get a chance to check this out.:wilson_smile:

If I get a copy, I can share with people offline to explain about Don't Starve.

minespatch    74439

I think there should be a section for tips in the game and maybe a minor character spotlight to give more characters love like Skin Trader, Pugna, and Wagstaff.

Swollson    457
49 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I'd like being a editor if that's a open position. I also have a TNBC crossover that  need editors on so if that can be submitted, that would be nice. Maybe @Aileen-Rose will get a chance to check this out.:wilson_smile:

If I get a copy, I can share with people offline to explain about Don't Starve.

17 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I think there should be a section for tips in the game and maybe a minor character spotlight to give more characters love like Skin Trader, Pugna, and Wagstaff.

hmm an editor! i'll think about it :oc it might be easier if theres a team to manage the event

i'd personally avoid anything crossover related. i want the fanzine to stay in the dont starve lane and not veer off into other fandoms, if that makes sense? id also avoid any characters that dont have an official appearance, but characters like pugna and skin trader might be alright? i think i'd personally still prefer if the focus is on playable characters.

oh a tips section? that would be interesting! i feel like that could work, but i dont want it to be just a bunch of words on a page you get? maybe if it was in a comic format? i'll keep this suggestion in mind tho thanks! :D

• Thanks 1

Wesminator    401

*raises hand* just a few questions. Will this zine be physically printed or just available in a .pdf form? And if this will be printed, will there be a skill requirement? I'm asking because some zines are free for all and some aren't. Think this might need to be clarified of course once you get a good estimate of how many people are interested. Totally on board helping manage if ya need some help

• Like 2

Swollson    457
On 4/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, Wesminator said:

*raises hand* just a few questions. Will this zine be physically printed or just available in a .pdf form? And if this will be printed, will there be a skill requirement? I'm asking because some zines are free for all and some aren't. Think this might need to be clarified of course once you get a good estimate of how many people are interested. Totally on board helping manage if ya need some help

1. Will the zine be physically printed or pdf? 
    1. I would love it if i could get the zines physically printed, i think thats definitely a goal!
  2. will there be skill requirements?
    1. Pieces should be fully colored and not wips/sketched/doodles. and since there seems to be more than 30-40 people that are interested, i will most likely have to hold a panel-like judging session and only pick a select 30-40 participants.
    2. you much be comfortable drawing on a canvas size of 8.5 x 11 inches (2550 x 3300 pixels)
  3. Free or Priced?
    1. I'm thinking of putting a price on them since shipping/handling and printing a physical book will cost some money. i definitely do wanna make it a charity zine.

I do think i'll need some help managing/organizing the event! being able to reach out and get a second pair of eyes and another brain on board will be very helpful ;)  

Edited by Swollson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DragonMage156    27051
29 minutes ago, Swollson said:

Pieces should be fully colored and not wips/sketched/doodles. and since there seems to be more than 30-40 people that are interested, i will most likely have to hold a panel-like judging session and only pick a select 30-40 participants.

Welp there goes my chance (unless everyone is a traditional artist with similar skill which I don't think is the case)

30 minutes ago, Swollson said:

you much be comfortable drawing on a canvas size of 8.5 x 11 inches (2550 x 3300 pixels)

I don't even know WHAT my picture sizes are since I do it with a camera.

Swollson    457
1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

Welp there goes my chance (unless everyone is a traditional artist with similar skill which I don't think is the case)

I don't even know WHAT my picture sizes are since I do it with a camera.

Traditional and digital art are both acceptable! Just as long as the traditional art can be clearly seen and not blurry. honestly id love to include everyone lol but thatd be a huge ass book to print xDD

8.5 x 11 inches is i believe the standard US letter/printer paper? but i can def check the dimensions of an example picture for you if youd like? o: so you have an idea? maybe send me a camera picture you took and i can tell you the size?

• Like 2

AretMaw    1140

Will the art pieces be assigned ideas to the artists or just something of our own choice? Is there a theme? Sorry, I know it's probably a bit early to ask these, but i'm just wondering about the specifics.

Swollson    457
2 hours ago, AretMaw said:

Will the art pieces be assigned ideas to the artists or just something of our own choice? Is there a theme? Sorry, I know it's probably a bit early to ask these, but i'm just wondering about the specifics.

theres going be an overarching theme and then each artists can choose to draw something of their own choice. i wont be super anal about what you draw. as of right now no themes have been solidified, but some themes have been suggested!

i just made this poll right now, so go vote guys! [DST FANZINE POLL] its only 4 questions so go go go go go

Edited by Swollson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Swollson    457

The fanzine poll has been officially closed! thank you to everyone who votes! :D 

here are the results, you can look through the poll's link to view them as well:

data1.png.ae2addc1c52baa82d68feb5092cee131.pngdata2.png.d8ea8d6c5f0666f71b3c4af06e6e79a9.pngdata3.png.c06daaf1af8808e3ba8d14931b7ce3ea.pngdata4.png.99221b10170a030fd9adbf8db40db170.png

What this concludes, is that...

• The theme will be Survival Tips. This themes suggests that participants will select a survival tip and draw a piece depicting that tip. They can be tips like collect a lot of twigs/grass when you start a server, give trinkets to Pigking for gold, pierogies are helpful for hunger and hp, having moggles is helpful to rush ruins, or have maxwell read the horticulture to save wicker's sanity. 
    • More examples:
      • Tip -> Always have a light source on you; Drawn piece-> characters with a torch, lantern, ect.
      • Tip -> Use a rook to help kill knights/bishops/other rooks; Drawn piece -> Characters running around with a rook chasing them
    • After applications end and participants are chosen, they will have to tell me what tip theyre choosing to avoid overlap with other participants
  • Additional merchandise such as charms and possibly buttons and stickers will be added.
    • When pre-orders roll out, there will be an option to purchase either 1) Fanzine only or 2)Fanzine+merchandise bundle
  • Wilson (35.3%), Webber (14.7%), and Wes (11.8%) were the three most popular favorites.
    • The additional merchandise will most likely reflect this.
    • However, I think it would be cool if the sticker sheet had all of the characters. O:

Remember to follow or check the official dst fanzine tumblr blog for additional information: https://dstfanzine.tumblr.com

...and to the two of you who voted for body pillows (¬‿¬) i see you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1