Why do people care about necroposting?

EuedeAdodooedoe

Isn't it a better idea to post something in a thread that is relevant that already exists? People say to use search to see if a thread about an issue already exists, but if they don't find an answer to their problem, they should create a new thread because people get annoyed by necroposting? I honestly don't see a reason to lock a thread at all if it doesn't go off the rails.

It just boggles me that people want old threads to stay dead just because they are old. Yeah, sure, a thread can go off-topic due to necroposting, but why is necroposting itself the issue?

If the information is old and you think that's new, isn't that on you? It feels more like a push for "what's new, what's trendy?!" than actual concern about a problem. Threads could just have an indication of "this thread is [insert time] long, so the information here may be outdated". And why not update people on a particular topic? I mean, is it not better to have a single topic about how to deal with Deerclops in DS/DST than to have them roll in again, every time someone isn't skilled enough to do it via the previously suggested method or something, idk, just an example.

I've searched about it online, but never really found an honest answer to this, other than "it's annoying". Why can't people just suck it up, because it's not the end of the world.

1 minute ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Why can't people just suck it up, because it's not the end of the world.

This is the entire world in a nutshell.

As for the actual matter at hand, I don't have much to add from what you've already said.

The issue I see with older threads bubbling back up is that the people who were there 'actively' participating in the thread are no longer there, leading to a necro with no other feedback since the interested parties are no longer there.

It's like an artificial interest of the topic, or click bait.  The ratio of replies to thread start date shows a ball pack estimation of how much 'importance' is in a thread at a glance, and by picking an ""active"" topic to find out it's not the user feels fooled into thinking it was something to really pay attention to.

If it were just one post with a new thread, then the passer-bys who don't have too much insight to provide from the title alone wouldn't feel compelled to click on in to potentially contribute in a bigger discussion.

This sort of leads into the topic of why people have shorter attention spans and are more demanding when it comes to instant gratification, but I digress.  Point is that these people are impatient and are wanting to see/participate in a hot topic, but get fooled and feel burned by the coldness of the topic.

@CarlZalph I've had that a few times, where I realise that a topic is old, but I don't get outraged by it. I do wonder how this came to be exactly, and why forums find the need to close topics just because they are a little old. Again, an indication that a topic is old could be there. A filter of sorts perhaps too? I know that too much filters in one place can be very excessive, but in this case, I think it's reasonable to have one.

Archived