Volcano

Just found one of these right beside the start of my new colony. I'm only at cycle 30 something so wasn't planning to touch it but thought I'd come here to see if someone had an easy suggestion of what I could use it for? Not a pro player so I'll probably need it explained very simply.

As soon as you have access to Steam Turbine you can use it for Power production with a system like this.

As the other said you will have to wall it off with Abyssalite and maybe just leave an access through a Vacuum airlock to clean off the igneous rock once it stops erupting.

Dig out all but 1 tile to leave it 'blocked'. Build an abyssalite insulated cover around it and unblock it once you are ready to start exploiting it. The easiest thing is a simple automation and plumbing setup that pumps in water when it gets hot and vents it through a steam turbine to delete the bulk of the heat. There are more complex ways to take advantage of it but they take more planning and are longer to set up in a survival run.

1 minute ago, turbonl64 said:

How can we utilise this: just for steam turbine or is it a sustainable way of cooking oil into gas?

Both should be possible. You can also use it to bake fertilizer into dirt and/or sand, making them easier to renew.

5 minutes ago, Stoof said:

Could someone maybe draw me up something in debug mode? Would I need exo suits before attempting to build anything around the volcano?

You will not need exosuits as long as the volcano is not uncovered. You should make absolute sure you build everything before you uncover the volcano. It'll probably emit so much heat that even the exo suits will not be able to handle it.

56 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

You will not need exosuits as long as the volcano is not uncovered. You should make absolute sure you build everything before you uncover the volcano. It'll probably emit so much heat that even the exo suits will not be able to handle it.

I would recommend the opposite.. Magma volcanos erupts a lot of magma, but also have a long long downtime... think 100 cycles.. you can be lucky and find one with just 20 cycles down, or unlucky and 160... either way, the moment you find it is the moment it comes active for the first time. 

So, the moment you find a geyser you know you want to use is the moment you should decide to encase it. Else you might experience that the geyser goes dormant 40 cycles later, when you finally became "ready".

Magma needs a big encasing. they spew out loads and loads... think a container about 40 tiles big atleast beneath the volcano... metal ones can do with 10 tiles storage room.You will be fine If you make it all in Abys and encase it all before you dig out the volcano. 

If you don't have very much free abyssalite, which is likely true at 30 cycles, you can also try to vacuum seal the volcano.  If you use obsidian as your inner layer, the magma shouldn't melt it.  The idea is that you have wall, then a vacuum, then another wall.  Making a vacuum isn't too difficult.  You don't even need a pump because you can deconstruct tiles on a diagonal.

26 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

but for new players, capping it off till you are in a position to use it is probably the best bet.

new players should stay the f*ck away from geysers all together and learn how to play without... these geysers add more problems then they solve, usually. 

When i was new i would use my nat geysers from start, 20 cycles later i was wondering how come i always was drowning in Co2 so suddenly... then i would wonder why my cables broke all the time... etc etc... 

Better to learn how to stay alive without any geyser. you don't need them till later anyway..

I'm still looking some advice on how to take advantage of this volcano. I'm not comfortable tapping it until I know what to do with the magma it will unleash. Incasing it doesn't do me much good if I don't know what to do with it, in that case I might as well leave it uncapped. Am I meant to drip water on the lava to create steam? Can I purify polluted water this way?

yes but the other way around. Build a chamber beneath the volcano, Install a ledge where the magma is going to land when it boils over from the volcano, this ledge should be against a pool of liquid, (pwater for steaming, or oil for nat gas) let me get game loaded and I will draw you a quick schematic to "safely" use volcanos

2 minutes ago, Stoof said:

I'm still looking some advice on how to take advantage of this volcano. I'm not comfortable tapping it until I know what to do with the magma it will unleash. Incasing it doesn't do me much good if I don't know what to do with it, in that case I might as well leave it uncapped. Am I meant to drip water on the lava to create steam? Can I purify polluted water this way?

To a point it depends which type of volcano it is.  Has it produced anything yet?  Does it spit Magma, or does it produce a Metal instead?

Magma is simply rock that is super duper hot.  So the resources it produces are Heat and, as it cools, Igneous Rock.  There are a number of processes that can take advantage of the heat, most of which have been outlined in this thread.  Baking Dirt and Sand, boiling P-H2O or Oil.  Additionally, as the Igneous Rock builds up, you can mine it out and then use it as Hatch food.

The Metal Volcanoes are quite a bit more useful, because they produce materials that are otherwise finite (if vast) on the map.  Copper, Iron, and Gold are all usable for any from a dizzying number of applications and construction projects.  Though I'm told that the Gold Volcano is the "coldest" of the bunch?  For whatever that's worth.

image.thumb.png.325b3507c3336c8e9f41ca343acd9937.png

feeder methods vary, the liquid level for the pwater is a tad too high and there are impurities in the system but ultimately this drops pickupable igneous while transfering the heat to the steam and pwater......

image.thumb.png.5adc5c23f512a33f3d1248b5855c933e.png

needs a smaller ledge too.

thats not really a magma geyser .... I don't have one on my map XD

instead of mixing the fluids, i would put up some automation so you can dumb the fluid magma into some kind of thermal battery once it becomes around 1500 degrees.

Else you will have it clog up, as you can see on the picture it's already started to clog

but if you combine my advice with my display you get what you see there I highlighted once
image.png.3f3a93ad661d1dc3bd12e283802ba3a3.png
it creates dropped items and by putting a sweeper arm in the tank you get autocollection of igneous and dirt, just have to apply the advice I posited with the original images, "coolant" at the height of the ledge, not above like I did, because pwater stacks at 800kg, but paints at 1000kg my pool overflowed a bit.  Also, as noted above, using a single thickness magma drip ledge results in most of the magma falling as in the image with only smaller chance of forming the standing blocks on the ledge.

on the steam output side of things, maybe a small space heater set to flicker run if the temp is ever over 125 :D

make sure its on mesh tiles though so the water has somewhere to condense

Archived