Several points of confusion

Hello

I recently started the game and it is awesome. I am currently trying to build my third base, and I have some issues I just can't figure out.

1) I have an electrolyzer contained in a box with two gaz pumps and a gaz filter so that the hydrogen goes to an hydrogen generator and the oxygen to my base. On the paper it should be enough : the electrolyzer produces 112 g/s of hydrogen and the hydrogen generator uses 100 g/s, with 2 pumps everything should works continuously, with even a small production of hydrogen. But somehow, the hydrogen is nowhere near working continuously and constantly lacks of hydrogen. So I tried to build another electrolyzer, two other pumps and a new gaz filter. Everything to the same hydrogen generator. And it is still not enough ! (though it almost is) So what is going on here ? The electrolyzer and the pumps work continuously (they never stop because of high gaz pressure or some other reasons).

I saw that there are threads with oxygen generators that are self-powered thanks to the hydrogen generator. A lot of them uses exploits (like water to filter gases or automatic doors...). I am not interested in one of these, but just want to understand why it seems that a lot of hydrogen is missing.

2) I had a perfectly working mealwood and Bristle blossom farm, a good production and a nice reserve. But at some point I realized that a lot of food was spoiled. Looking more closely it seems that it was the meal lice stored in the microbe musher, which was weird because it came from a fridge without old meal lice. But in the fridge, there was a very old (9%) pincha peppernut. Removing it from the fridge seems to have solve the problem. Is it a bug or something that I have overlooked ?

3) My Bristle blossoms are planted on hydroponic farm tiles. So they are alimented by a pump and pipes. The pump provides water for the farms, a shower, a toilet and a sink. So it seems that I have plenty of water, and the pump is actually not working full time. But for some reason, some of the plants are not irrigated. Worse : I tried to build another toilet and now only four blossoms are correctly irrigated. I tried to go back to the previous state, but it didn't work : there are still only 4 bristle blossoms which receive water. The pump is almost constantly stopped because the pipes are full. What is going on ? With thousands  of kcal spoiled with the previous problem and the bristle blossoms farm not working, food start to become a real problem here...

4) Another problem with the hydrogen generator : it is in a room with a power control station and a duplicant was trying to improve the hydrogen generator with microchips. He didn't finish the job, probably for a shower since they seem to spend their life in it. I noticed that the hydrogen generator is not working anymore in this situation. Worse : the progress bar seems to be slowly decreasing until it reaches zero, then disappeared. The problem is that the duplicant never resume the job (putting microchips) and the hydrogen generator was stuck and never worked again. (In fact, the pipes was full of hydrogen, so the pump were not working anymore, so the bases was not alimented in oxygen... you can imagine the chain reaction). I had to destroy the hydrogen generator and rebuild it. The duplicant went for the microchips and ... again the hydrogen generator was stuck, I destroyed it, rebuild it, but deactivated the power control station to end that. Is it another bug ? Or did I do something wrong ?

By the way, is it possible to change priority for the microchips ? As my hydrogen generator is hardly working (see point 1) ), I would prefer that my duplicant improve the coal generators...

Thank you for your help ! And sorry for my bad english...

2 hours ago, larollz said:

3) My Bristle blossoms are planted on hydroponic farm tiles. So they are alimented by a pump and pipes. The pump provides water for the farms, a shower, a toilet and a sink. So it seems that I have plenty of water, and the pump is actually not working full time. But for some reason, some of the plants are not irrigated. Worse : I tried to build another toilet and now only four blossoms are correctly irrigated. I tried to go back to the previous state, but it didn't work : there are still only 4 bristle blossoms which receive water. The pump is almost constantly stopped because the pipes are full. What is going on ? With thousands  of kcal spoiled with the previous problem and the bristle blossoms farm not working, food start to become a real problem here...

I'm guessing you're running the water pipe through the hydroponic farms? For some reason this stopped working properly at some point, and only the first few plots are irrigated. The solution is to run the water pipe below or above the farm plots and have an additional pipe branching of into each individual plot, like so:image.thumb.png.e710a6b6bc73acfeb590a26770a11dde.png

Another thing to keep in mind is that items in pipes or vents (I'm assuming conveyors, too) will try to enter a branch the previous item did not go into first.

So if you deliver water from a pump to a shower and branch off to your farms before that, the water will delay for a bit if the branch to the shower is full, creating gaps in your pipes. You can circumvent this by branching off with pipe bridges, which take priority. So if you have a pipe, then branch off to your shower with a pipe bridge and to the farms with a normal pipe, the water will fill the pipe to the shower first, then move to the farms without delay.

This is probably best observed than explained in text, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a few examples in your pipe system already.

Ok I did not know that. Thank you very much. I will try you solution for the farm soon. What is really weird is that they were working fine until two days ago. I hope they will fix the farms if this is indeed the problem.

Do you have any idea on my other concerns ?

Are you playin in OC or Rancher?  if rancher then 1) is gas deletion, theres already a bug report but post another.  2) fridges have long had lots of bugs but now food rots in things and this causes chain reaction problems. 3) post a screen shot of your plumbing overlay and I will recommend what bridges to install to fix your backlog issue.  4) post a bug report.     

I play with OC...

Ok I will post a screen shot tomorrow if I have time. But do you confirm Cheet4h's solution ? My plumbing system is really simple : a pump, a pipe with several branches for showers, toilets, sinks and farms... I don't have bridges.

Thank you for your confirmation about 2) and 4)

The issue with your electrolyzer setup is because it's too compact most likely. The primary issue people discovered was that if you are sucking the area dry then you lose about half of the hydrogen due to bugginess. A hydrogen hood is the best way to capture hydrogen (e.g. let it all float to the top of your base) but it's not exactly ideal either. Using automation you can ensure that an area is never dry - this is what I go for

SALgKRm.png

J4Ljo4e.png

I was sending the excess away to a generator in my power room but instead I've just put it into a box that now has 78 tiles of 9kg hydrogen

EDIT: I missed out the most important thing - the Smart batteries are necessary otherwise you will waste all your hydrogen on a battery that is full. This system is set up on two power grids of left and right.

1 hour ago, Cheet4h said:

So if you deliver water from a pump to a shower and branch off to your farms before that, the water will delay for a bit if the branch to the shower is full, creating gaps in your pipes. You can circumvent this by branching off with pipe bridges, which take priority. So if you have a pipe, then branch off to your shower with a pipe bridge and to the farms with a normal pipe, the water will fill the pipe to the shower first, then move to the farms without delay.

I agree with this part as it is my standard setup more or less.  play around with bridges they are very powerful and useful tools but also quirky.

1°) after extensive testing I found that 2 filters (1 for each pump) works better as gasses in pipes don't mix the pumps keep saying "pipe blocked" because the filter can't process packets of different gasses fast enough.

Screenshots : 

Spoiler

20180313002447_1.thumb.jpg.0844087cb4f44af0106c784d33e2d117.jpg

This setup consumes 840W so I added a Coal generator with a smart battery to supply missing power (which also covers idling of the H.Gen.).

20180313002602_1.thumb.jpg.a445e5361f3072d95ec06cd1a1d98bdc.jpg

4°) I find installing the chip takes way too long (had my pipes clogged as well), though the chip always got installed eventually. This has worked over +100 cycles

1 hour ago, PickPay said:

Automation overlay and sensor values would be helpful if handy :)

Nothing special, just one atmo sensor for the hydrogen pump and one for all the oxygen pumps - 500g for hydrogen and 1000g for oxygen.

When you start it though, use the hydrogen atmo sensor to pump out all the oxygen in the well otherwise it wont be perfect. The oxygen will damage your hydrogen generator but only that first time.

7gPQb2v.png

You don't even need to pump the oxygen out of the bottom, having that exposed to your base is fine too and costs less power - I just need to pump the oxygen into exo suits. If you are exposing it to your base I would suggest having some wheezeworts underneath it though as it has got to 62c for me.

23 hours ago, Cheet4h said:

I'm guessing you're running the water pipe through the hydroponic farms? For some reason this stopped working properly at some point, and only the first few plots are irrigated. The solution is to run the water pipe below or above the farm plots and have an additional pipe branching of into each individual plot, like so:image.thumb.png.e710a6b6bc73acfeb590a26770a11dde.png

I am 99% certain that this bug is no longer present in both OC as well as Ranching Update.

I had hydroponics set up along a straight pipe of irrigation water and all plants were able to receive water. First ones in line take the water first though, but judging by your screenshot, water inflow shouldnt be the problem.

@blash365

I'm playing OC and have run into the farms not being irrigated on a straight line bug. Oddly, the first three plants on a line usually would, but it stops there. Couldn't spot anything else so I changed to the branching method in the example and that, so far, always works for me.

4 hours ago, itsYiyas said:

Nothing special, just one atmo sensor for the hydrogen pump and one for all the oxygen pumps - 500g for hydrogen and 1000g for oxygen.

When you start it though, use the hydrogen atmo sensor to pump out all the oxygen in the well otherwise it wont be perfect. The oxygen will damage your hydrogen generator but only that first time.

You don't even need to pump the oxygen out of the bottom, having that exposed to your base is fine too and costs less power - I just need to pump the oxygen into exo suits. If you are exposing it to your base I would suggest having some wheezeworts underneath it though as it has got to 62c for me.

Thanks for the details. I wonder if Wheezeworts would be enough. Im currently producing oxygen by an AETN (as you can see in my previous post) so I'm not sure how that would fit with your setup.

2 hours ago, blash365 said:

I am 99% certain that this bug is no longer present in both OC as well as Ranching Update.

I had hydroponics set up along a straight pipe of irrigation water and all plants were able to receive water. First ones in line take the water first though, but judging by your screenshot, water inflow shouldnt be the problem.

I had this bug several times on different farms [OC]. But it was working on first built then if something changed (probably liquid flow interruption from redoing pipes) then it broke the system and had to branch all tiles individually.

22 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Thanks for the details. I wonder if Wheezeworts would be enough. Im currently producing oxygen by an AETN (as you can see in my previous post) so I'm not sure how that would fit with your setup.

I would think as long as you pipe the oxygen around the AETN in non-insulated/abysalite pipes then they would cool down a lot. Can also build it on top of the AETN and have metallic tiles to conduct it into the oxygen chamber. The major heating factor for mine is the insulated tiles and the fact that it's ran for 200 cycles.

EDIT: you can just incorporate the AETN into your system and it will still run with excess. Oxygen starts at 63c ends at -6c - which is a bit too cold tbh but there you go.

l9eOhSB.png

2 hours ago, itsYiyas said:

I would think as long as you pipe the oxygen around the AETN in non-insulated/abysalite pipes then they would cool down a lot. Can also build it on top of the AETN and have metallic tiles to conduct it into the oxygen chamber. The major heating factor for mine is the insulated tiles and the fact that it's ran for 200 cycles.

EDIT: you can just incorporate the AETN into your system and it will still run with excess. Oxygen starts at 63c ends at -6c - which is a bit too cold tbh but there you go.

How much Oxygen will this produce ? As I understand the pumps won't be active all the time. What about the elctrolyzers uptime roughly 50%, 80% ? Im currently using 2 AETN for 20 Dupes.

Sorry to OP this is a bit off topic.

14 hours ago, blash365 said:

I've had this hydroponic bug as well in the OC update. It sometimes fixes itself, but setting up the pipes in the way shown in the screenshot definitely stops it from happening.

12 hours ago, PickPay said:

How much Oxygen will this produce ? As I understand the pumps won't be active all the time. What about the elctrolyzers uptime roughly 50%, 80% ? Im currently using 2 AETN for 20 Dupes.

Sorry to OP this is a bit off topic.

20 dupes need 2kg/s of air so...

I was getting 625kg a day (1kg/s) but I changed the oxygen sensors to 500g and on the 2 electrolyzers I got ~770kg a day (1.3kgs/s). By scaling it up to 4 electrolyzers by just expanding it out I did get ~1530kg a day (2.55kg/s) but it ran pretty warm at 35-40c. So it's about 70% uptime using what is basically a hydrogen hood design.

If you want more detailed oxygen setups, I'd look at Brothgar on youtube - because I'm getting pretty bad hydrogen deletion bugs and it's annoying me. Managed to get 24c, 1200kg+ a day on 3 electrolyzers using his door compressor design jnHGUnm.png

20 dupes of 24c, with 480kj a day of extra hydrogen is pretty good. Smaller details at https://imgur.com/a/iD1QY

Just don't build it close to your base because the automation sounds are extremely annoying.

PS this is on the preview branch, I don't know if anything has changed between the two builds.

pumps to close to walls creative a vacuum field effect bug, give the hydrogen pump imore space, move the pump 1 unit to the left, and clear the wall on its new left side so it has more "room" all the way around, that should fix your hydro deletion

28 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

pumps to close to walls creative a vacuum field effect bug, give the hydrogen pump imore space, move the pump 1 unit to the left, and clear the wall on its new left side so it has more "room" all the way around, that should fix your hydro deletion

That's the only way I was getting it to work - I was having terrible hydrogen deletion bugs in that save where the hydrogen after the atmo sensor would never go past 200g. In that setup I at least had a constant flow of ~250g/s hydrogen.

Mhh i played now preview for the first time and came to the point, where hydrogen was deleted.
I don't want to use person x system as workaround, i want to play a game with maximal minor bugs.
Liquid drip and this one now, are major bugs for me.
My interest in ONI is fading away.

10 hours ago, Jigsawn said:

I've had this hydroponic bug as well in the OC update. It sometimes fixes itself, but setting up the pipes in the way shown in the screenshot definitely stops it from happening.

Apparently i just had the same issue on my second row of hydroponics.

In my case the middle positions were lacking irrigation. Quite a strange bug indeed.

Archived