Funny/Cute Things you did when you started.

So I'll start,

The one I remember the most is about my very first death : I spawned, kept going here and there doing this and that ... and then night came, and I heard *A strange monster* making a scary noise, and after that I got killed.

Next game, I was determined to find the monster, and so I made my first torch. I let the darkness consume me, and when I heard the scary noise again I QUICKLY brought my torch to find the preposterous monster .... but nothing was there :/ .

The first time I played Don't Starve in my life, I started at Shiprekt, built a science machine near the water, when the tide went up and wet the machine, it began to malfunction. I thought: why is not it working? It has wooden legs, the water doesn't touch.

latest?cb=20140502173821

I started playing blind, didn't check guides, tutorials, videos, nothing, the first weeks I wanted to discover things on my own. I survived through most winter for the first time with Webber, since one of the first "cool" things I learned to do in the game, strangely enough, was making spider wars (which I learned by accident).
I didn't even have crock pots because I didn't care or knew they were important back then, just ate monster meat raw, healed with glands, and slept when sanity was low. The 4 or 5 nests surrounding me provided the much needed protection from hounds since I didn't bother prototyping armor either.

The moment I thought "I finally have it, I think I can get past winter" is when I first met Deerclops.

Biggest NOPE I had in a game....

I joined my friend's private server and never went too far from base. The 3 of them would be going around getting resources and I would be sitting at base unsure of what to do. They ended up making me the resident farmer, tending the farms and berry bushes and drying racks – making the house a home. After I got into the routine of things I felt like I could be doing more and feeding myself, so I made like 15 rabbit traps by the neighbouring savanna and chased rabbits into the traps instead of waiting for them to run in at dusk. Somehow I found it really entertaining. At base every chest was filled with these non-stackable, very much alive rabbits. When the rest would come back and try to store stuff, they would find the chests filled with rabbits. That random backpack on the floor? Full of rabbits. When my friends are randomly AFK I would give a rabbit to them and see how long it would take for them to realize they have a rabbit in their inventory when they return. The words "Damn it, Cell." was heard a lot in the voice chat.

My very, very, very first ever experiance with Don't Starve at all, was in DST.

My brother and some friends of his were playing the game, not with much experiance in and of themselves either, and I knew nothing. I think I might have been like, 12-14 or something? It' was in DST's early beta, or as soon as people could play it or something. I'm 17 now.   Anyway, my brother had chosen Wigfrid because he had been told she was a powerful character. The most experienced among them at the time, though still inexperienced himself, was a WX-78, and lastly, another friend chose Wilson.      Soon enough as their game went into spring, my brother became bored of playing so much of something in one sitting, but the others were still going. He called me over to his computer and told me to play and keep things going for him, explained to me some basics on the controls.  Other than that, I got no help, but I learned pretty quickly how to farm the nearby spiders for sanity, health, and meat, as otherwise of my killing spiders there was no meat for me.   Spiders are easy enough for new people I guess, since they can be stunlocked, and I targeted them one at a time.    As things progressed, some of the others were struggling with sanity and other stats while I was doing mostly okay, just keeping to myself and the camp, killing spiders and making bacon and eggs & meatballs with the meat from it. 

Then summer came along, no iceflingomatics, nothing, because the group was inexperienced. I don't especially know how they survived the deerclops, but maybe it hadn't been added in yet back then. Our 'Boss' told the other inexperienced one to stay at base and to literally extinguish the fires as they started. That was his job now. Sit there and put out smoldering.   It didn't take long for his HP to start suffering, and he was a little mad and fed-up with 'Boss' always telling him what to do, especially with having him sit there and extinguish fires. Meanwhile I was keeping to myself and just surviving off of spiders.     Camp eventually caught on fire, the inevitable fate of a surface base with no ice-fling.     The others stressed out a lot about things catching ablaze, but... I was much more calm, still kind of sticking to my spiders. I was disappointed that our crockpots burned, but it was hardly relevant any more, as everyone kinda just gave up on the world after that. 

Other notable times would be a future attempt with me and a friend of my own, I went Webber and she went Wilson. I planted my spider eggs near base, and a spider wandered into camp. Her explanation for me was "I didn't like it,' and so as a result she just hit it with a torch, setting it on fire.

Then it rolled all over base I had built as far with it's little flaming spider body. Everything burned.    Like, I was out harvesting materials and I heard over the mic, "Uh, base is on fire."   "WHAT-" 

Even though I started with Wigfrid that first time, and while it gave me some backround with her, it took a while before I returned to her to call her a character I really use often.  My first successful solo run was with Wigfrid, prior I had many attempts with Webber.     A lot of my practice kind of came from Shipwrecked though, I guess I like the ocean better, and the farthest I ever got in those days was around day 40 or a little more, in SW with Webber.     However, future attempts with Wigfrid outside of SW taught me more about fighting, since her playstyle really pressures it.

Like the guy up there, I played -sorta- blindly, no guides, just occasional wiki research a lot for SW, and finding the Icefling from wiki research as well.   I learned kiting all on my own, or self-taught kiting, that started with the snakes in SW.  Weirdly I had it in my head that Deerclops and giants were not able to be kited as a result of this self-taught kiting, I don't know why because I never tried to kite them myself. Watching someone do it in a video blew my mind. I went out to try it myself and found it to be successful. 

There you are, the chapter of my first days, I guess. 

My first weeks of DST, I was really bad at fighting, so I got into my head that fighting was impossible. I mean, my friend was playing Wigfrid and fighting some dogs, but to me that looked like magic. Professional player stuff. So I played for weeks without fighting a thing. Spiders? Traps. Hounds? Run for the protection of Biffalos. Pigs? Just keep way away from them unless they're friendly. Me and my friends made our whole strategy around camping right next to the Bifallo herd for protection from monsters and also to make hats for the winter (at the time it was the only way we knew to keep warm). So imagine out reaction when we finaly survived long enough to see them go into heat and attack us... I felt so betrayed.

Oh, I just remember a good one!

You know how when you're a noob you set things on fire a lot? You know, sometimes you open a chest and everything catches fire and maybe one or two of your friends die and you lose all your stuff but at least you had a good laugh? Or maybe someone sets fore to a spider and then the spider sets fire to your camp and you lose all your stuff? But at least the spider died?

Well, when I was a noob I couldn't fight, right? Not even a tiny spider, not to mention a whole nest. So when me and my noob friends found ourselves in the middle of a forest being attacked by a level 3 spider nest, with no traps left to defend ourselves, I had a very clear vision of what I had to do: I set fire to the forest. All spiders burned! The nest was gone! Also we all died.

I learned to use that strategy better throughout the years though, burning a forest did save me from sea lions in DS recently.

I remember in the Gorge once,

I had picked all the berries in the bushes and I tried to eat them but it never worked. So I ran to the foliage to cook it with the berries, I also found a coin on the floor and I thought it was a old, chocolate coin so I tried stuffing it in the cook-pot but nothing worked. So I then sent a report complaining I couldn't survive by eating any food and I thought I would die, I then started to put the items I had collected into a cook-pot and made a fist  full of jam when the craving was soup and then I died shortly after.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, LobzOz said:

I learned to use that strategy better throughout the years though, burning a forest did save me from sea lions in DS recently.

I have used this before as well.  I was in Adventure Mode and could have been doing a little better because, annoying walruses/MacTusk had been shooting me left and right. It was my first real encounter with them but I learned to rush forward to get them and ended up slaughtering them all (Like 3), but it left my health a little low.

There was a forest setpiece with three of them all in one spot and I was pretty worried, because I saw them walking towards me... So I set the whole thing on fire and walked away.

I came back later to find ONE TAM'O'SHANTER... Lying in the center of a burned forest.
I have no clue how it survived, but it did. I wore the hat for the rest of the run.

On 6/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, LobzOz said:

so I got into my head that fighting was impossible

I never got it into my head that it was IMPOSSIBLE but I know what you mean.
I got it in my head that kiting bosses was impossible, that fighting them directly was impossible. I don't know where that idea of mine came from though, but I had survived a good few in-game-years and still though fighting them was impossible... Wigfrid taught me more about fighting by making me fight or starve, but even as her I avoided bosses, or lead them away and let them despawn at the end of the season.

Watching a youtube video where someone kited and killed a deerclops blew my mind and I started killing them myself ever since. 

I got a funny one.

I was gifted DST by a friend, so me and like 3 other people started playing DST (this was all our first times). We decided to all play Webber because he looked cool. We planted our dens at spawn (this was a private server) and decided to do a spawn base. For one reason or another, my friends died (and rez'd by me, who didn't die because I was a coward who stayed near spiders.) Because I didn't die, I was the first to grow a beard. Beyond that point, I was known as "The Elder Spider." I think we all died from Charlie.

When I first encountered the ancient chest in the ruins, I was curious as to what it'd do. I cautiously opened it but saw that nothing seemed to happen.

My inventory was pretty full at this point so I thought, hey, the game's nice enough to offer me a free chest. Why not use it? Thus I deposited some of my loot obtained from the ruins in there for safe, temporary storage from the moleworms.

Big mistake... it spat out my contents once I filled all 6 of its slot and it also consumed the gems I put in as a result. I immediately did research into what it was afterwards and found out about the Metheus puzzle. Well, at least I got my ancient skins the day after so who's laughing now, Metheus?

On 14. 7. 2018 at 12:49 AM, Extant said:

When I first encountered the ancient chest in the ruins, I was curious as to what it'd do. I cautiously opened it but saw that nothing seemed to happen.

My inventory was pretty full at this point so I thought, hey, the game's nice enough to offer me a free chest. Why not use it? Thus I deposited some of my loot obtained from the ruins in there for safe, temporary storage from the moleworms.

Big mistake... it spat out my contents once I filled all 6 of its slot and it also consumed the gems I put in as a result. I immediately did research into what it was afterwards and found out about the Metheus puzzle. Well, at least I got my ancient skins the day after so who's laughing now, Mehteus?

is this a joke?

Ah. I was playing as Webber and I didn't realize I could eat monster meat. I was starving. I got separated from everyone else - they were setting up a fire pit and we were exchanging pics of our maps to try to find each other. 

Night fell. I was running in the dark, health failing due to starvation, and I FOUND CAMP

"GIVE ME FOOD" I said in our voice chat, as I entered the ring of light from the fire pit. 

Not a second later, I died of starvation.

My first ever game of Don't Starve was Lights Out. Why? Because after poking through the worldgen settings I thought it would be a cool challenge. When the game started I took note of my stats and the menus then took everything from the starter chest. Understanding the dark was a danger I looked at the fire and thought, well, I guess my goal is to keep this fire lit so I don't die. So I crafted an axe and chopped down trees for logs. Figured out how to plant pinecones to renew wood. After a bit I was able to keep the fire going, but I began to worry about my hunger. There was no food in the immediate area and I knew I couldn't venture outside of the fire's light (for some reason I had no idea crafting torches was a thing) so I just ended up eventually starving to death with half sanity. My next game was set up the same, only this time a few berry bushes were nearby. I was glad that there was food, but it ran out fast and did not sustain me much longer than the previous game. After a few more failed games I gave up on Light's Out and just started a normal world. I learned much faster about how to survive from there.

my very first time playing was back when the vanilla game was in beta (late 2012ish) and available on google chrome store. I have just started and worked out how to make a base. figured that trees were the best fences and built a circle of them around my fire pit. had one spear and sat and waited for dark. as the tree grew slightly bigger one of them turned into a tree guard. I ran at it deciding to fight and got one hit. have not used trees as walls since.

Well this is a bit of a necro, but it’s the tolad forum so who cares?

When I made my first Don’t Starve world I had seen old footage from back in the days where level gen was a bunch of circular islands, research points were a thing and logsuits had 100% protection. This gave me enough knowledge for basic survival, but I had been being chased by a treeguard since day 5. I survived by running away like a coward until day 18 when I tired of my treeguard frenemy... I decided to run to the ends of the earth living of carrots and berries while waiting for it to catch up before running quickly back home to see if I could “unload” it. A few days into my expedition, I discovered a mechanic that had been added between my buying the game and that old build. Winter.

(yes, I had shaved my beard...)

On 10/22/2018 at 11:58 PM, The 2C3D said:

When I made my first Don’t Starve world I had seen old footage from back in the days where level gen was a bunch of circular islands, research points were a thing and logsuits had 100% protection. 

I remember my first few days playing this build :D.
I used to be a total noob. Played as Wilson, tanked a tentacle with a spear, died.

Tanked another one again with a logsuit this time, and oneshotted spiders with a Tentacle Spike i got. they had 50 health before.
Died before reaching winter because i was running around everywhere eating carrots and i forgot a torch.

Then i played willow. She didn't have a lighter yet, she just lit the ground below her on fire in darkness, so i didn't care about torchmaking in the process. Again, my primary diet was carrots and berries. I scrimped up resources and trinkets to build a tent...

... and found out much to my dismay that it "changes your skin" - read: changed your character, not sleep and gain sanity - and i mindlessly changed into a Wilson in total darkness. Then i realized i had no torch again. RIP

then on newer builds i was still pretty unskilled, and all i did was spawn me a huge base and all the accountrements needed to survive, along with at least 4 Houndius Shootiuses.

It took me many more months after that  - and the release of Reign of Giants - to git gud using Wendy. 

I remember playing as maxwell on a public server and a treeguard spawned. I was very read up on fourms and kiting patterns. I took a few hits and it took like five days, two axes, and a little help from a wx who helped get some attention by himself. The WX tanked the treeguard a bit, but in the end, we got a few monster meat and 6 living logs. I think it was a small treeguard as well

I Remember in every public server, I Called everyone who i thought was better than me "Mr." Or "Ms", Because i was scared of getting kicked off the base because i was a scaredy shroom who just chopped wood and ran away from fights, and i thought showing respect would help me be accepted.
I Also based next to beefalo, and always named them something. Never remembered who was who. 

I Also only played Wendy, because of being a scaredy shroom and sucking at fighting, i just had abigail do everything for me.

Archived