Self-Powering Oxygen Module MkII - (Production-And-Cooling)

Just now, Angpaur said:

But you are doing it at cost of 1000g of water to produce 112g of hydrogen.

This build somehow can reduce cost of water, so you can have same amount of hydrogen at cost of 817g of water.

Hower I still don't know how it is possible. Anyone has some idea? Or there is some error in my calculations?

I can build an ocean of my surplus water, for the sailship i build for my dupes..

I was running build like this one, the problem is its wasting resources, or its get over pressure and stops working.

If you don't delete hydrogen it stops working, so you just put all that tasty hydrogen and change it into power that is never used, just to keep oxygen production going.

13 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

I was running build like this one, the problem is its wasting resources, or its get over pressure and stops working.

If you don't delete hydrogen it stops working, so you just put all that tasty hydrogen and change it into power that is never used, just to keep oxygen production going.

Imagine possibilities of using @ZanthraSW's build - if you are lucky you can get a cool steam vent, which will be able to produce enough water for 4 this builds. You can support 5 hydrogen generators constantly. That is 4kW of power. And with tune up it is 6. Overproduced oxygen you can use as heat sink for some really hot stuff and then vent it into space or to some insulated storage. And all of this at cost  of only 4kg/s of water.

11 hours ago, Angpaur said:

Your build is not deleting hydrogen. It is doing something far more interesting - it is creating hydrogen at the expense of oxygen!

At first I thought I made some miistake so I run it for 10 cycles. Below results:

avarage oxygen production reported: ~507kg/cycle = 5070kg oxygen and 640kg of hydrogen should be stored. (total 5710kg)

stored oxygen: 4928kg

stored hydrogen: 782kg

total stored: 5710kg

So proportions of hydrogen and oxygen have changed but the total amount of gas produced is as expected - no deletion occured.

And I really like this results as this allows to make more hydrogen from water and thus having more power.

So now I know what build I will be using in a future :)

Screw the oxygen, I want that sweet magical hydrogen! ;)

gas_creation.sav

I would suspect that it may be causing oxygen deletion rather than hydrogen deletion, and that you may be getting 112g hydrgogen per 1000g water, but less than 888g oxygen per 1000g water. A more accurate test would be to fill a pool with an exact amount of Water, and run that through the elctrolyzer to see the resulting gases. That would help to determine any loss of either gas compared to the input.

I did a quick test with that save, with 299KG of water I got 258KG of O2 and 40.8KG of H2. Which makes the ratio for the electrolyzer 136g/s and 860g/s, plus or minus any rounding errors. 860 / 888 is around 96-97 percent, which is what people have been reporting the most efficient uptime electrolyzers produce for O2. Is it possible that the reported O2 production for electrolyzers is inaccurate?

21 minutes ago, ZanthraSW said:

I would suspect that it may be causing oxygen deletion rather than hydrogen deletion, and that you may be getting 112g hydrgogen per 1000g water, but less than 888g oxygen per 1000g water. A more accurate test would be to fill a pool with an exact amount of Water, and run that through the elctrolyzer to see the resulting gases. That would help to determine any loss of either gas compared to the input.

I did a quick test with that save, with 299KG of water I got 258KG of O2 and 40.8KG of H2. Which makes the ratio for the electrolyzer 136g/s and 860g/s, plus or minus any rounding errors.

There doesn't seem to be any gas deletion as total sum of both oxygen and hydrogen is exactly as expected value.

I ran a test with a liquid locked electrolyzer and 200kg of water became 177.6kg of O2 and 22.3Kg of H2, which is almost exactly the 888:112 ratio.

I have a hypothesis that the electrolyzer has an output buffer for hydrogen and an output buffer for oxygen, each can hold 1kg. Each tick, if the oxygen output buffer is not full, it takes that tick's worth of water from the input buffer. It then produces oxygen to the ammount it can produce in that tick (888/s) or enough to fill the O2 output buffer. It then produces H2 with the remaining water for that tick. If the H2 buffer is full or close to full, this causes the H2 to be deleted. If the O2 buffer only has a little more O2 before it is full, and the H2 buffer is empty, then the O2 production will leave more of the consumed water for the H2 leading it to be overproduced. This is just a hypothesis. More tests would be necessary.

On 2/13/2018 at 1:23 AM, Oozinator said:

I call mine the perlator..

On 2/13/2018 at 1:35 AM, QuQuasar said:

If the perlator is a swan, then the SMOP is an ugly duckling. Smaller, far more hideous, and with higher throughput.

The throughput is duck poo in this analogy.

Judging by the size of the Perlator, I'm not sure it's so much swan as ostrich!  Small size has a beauty to it.

Hello everyone

I have to say Im rather new to all of this and really like the technicality of it all.  Im only on like my 5th base so far.  I have read the entirety of this post and have come to the conclusion that the OP MKII spom is just as efficient as any other here?  Correct me if Im wrong alot of the details go over my head as Im not as experienced. 

I plan on making the original MK II SPOM with the addition of a gas filter.

Could someone please make a synopsis of this great post as it relates to the OPs design?

Many thanks

One SPOM is as good as another SPOM.  The core concept is that water goes in, oxygen comes out. 

There is a lot of too and throw in this thread discussing various efficiencies, whether it be O2 or power efficiency etc. and at the end of the day, we're talking the difference between one spom working 1 minute less or more than another over the course of hours.  If your dupes are struggling and would die because your 1 tile short of water on the 1000th cycle, then you best give up and start again...

The original design in my opinion is best, I myself have tried to make it better and after all is said and done, I find myself just building the original design.  It may not be able to run that extra cycle after my PC has ground to a halt due to late game lag, but it works just fine and it's reliable.

Yea I just made the original design with a gas valve for the hydrogen going to the wart room and a switch to control the electroylyer intill I filled the wort room and made a near vacuum out of the o2 h2 chambers (both in my battery room above the spom with a hamster wheel to start it all).  It has been running for over 300 cycles with enought to keep my base at 2k o2 and feed my 4 atmo suites. 

im really happy with the spom mkII.  Thanks Craigjw for you input =)

I am having troubles running a stable hydrogen layer on top of my electrolizers since the latest update. I managed to get it "primed" several times, but it always gets convoluted with oxygen again. As a result of it alot of gas deletion happens.

Does anybody else have the issue or am i just being unlucky?

Spoiler

82996E65787238BF69AE545B99CC564906AE99C0

8 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I am having troubles running a stable hydrogen layer on top of my electrolizers since the latest update. I managed to get it "primed" several times, but it always gets convoluted with oxygen again. As a result of it alot of gas deletion happens.

Does anybody else have the issue or am i just being unlucky?

Yup. I've reverted to using the liquid locked electrolysers to avoid problems for now until it gets fixed.

Archived