[Game Update] - 253538

• Developer

Just a quick note regarding priority: in addition to implementing Duplicant Jobs this update, we also tried to tackle some of the thorny issues of Priority. We felt it was a natural fit that Jobs also affect priority, but we haven’t been happy with the side effects. In particular, it was hard to understand, and now that we've added the ability to retain mastery it didn’t make much sense anymore, so we are going to backburner reviewing priorities for a later update.

Please keep posting your feedback, we really appreciate it!

• Priorities are now 1-9.
  • Jobs now affect priority within a single priority level (e.g. will prefer one prio 5 task over another prio 5 task) rather than across priority levels (6 is always higher than 5 no matter what)
  • Job perks are now permanent upon mastery of the job. The expectations of the highest mastered/assigned job determine the duplicant's expectations
  • Job attribute bonuses adjust to account for permanent perks
  • Jobs can only be changed at the Jobs Desk, construct one to unlock job management
  • A very larger number of Duplicants can be assigned to a single job
  • Re-enabled attribute leveling, reduced max attribute base level to 20
  • Reintroduced strength attribute to determine carrying amount
  • Athletics is rolled separately from other attributes, and no jobs directly buff athletics anymore
  • Add experience gaining and attribute speed bonuses for more chore types
  • Steam turbine should properly stop if entombed or disabled
  • Dupes will now wait for materials to be delivered before digging out any building which affects locomotion including tiles, ladders, fire poles and the pitcher pump. They will however dig out ladders/fire poles without waiting for materials if the job is attached to an existing ladder/fire pole.
  • Liquids will now only sublimate to a max pressure.
  • Conveyor contents should no longer melt when loading a save file.
  • Multiple instances of a building in a room should now be porperly considered inside that room.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur if a door was destroyed the frame after it received a logic signal.
  • Dig damage texture should no longer disappear just before a tile is properly dug out.
  • Fixed an issue where Duplicants would become unselectable.
  • Tiles can no longer be build on top of Tempshift Plates.
  • Duplicant portraits should now be displaying the proper hats in the vitals/consumables screens.
  • Coal Generator is now automatable.
  • Duplicant job progression is now displayed at the bottom of the stats tab.
  • Duplicants with jobs should now properly prioritize the Massage Table if it is the highest set player prioritized building.

View full update

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Dupes will now wait for materials to be delivered before digging out any building which affects locomotion including tiles, ladders, fire poles and the pitcher pump. They will however dig out ladders/fire poles without waiting for materials if the job is attached to an existing ladder/fire pole.

@The_Yok

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Priorities are now 1-9.
  • Jobs now affect priority within a single priority level (e.g. will prefer one prio 5 task over another prio 5 task) rather than across priority levels (6 is always higher than 5 no matter what)

Yes! This is a lot more clear, thank you!

Thanks for the update, nice tuning and fixes. (you guys update fast too. props).

I'm just worried about this:

26 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

It sounds limiting, the 1-5* priority had it's flaws but I've felt more in control than before, going back to almost the older system feels strange now. I will test to see how it goes , I'll probably have to adopt a different priority strategy.

Edited by Domelo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brook said:

Hi @Hanmac,

Is there an existing bug report for this? I took a look and nothing stood out. If not please report it in the bug tracker, thanks!

I don't know yet, saw it happen in video from GrindTheGame

Conveyor doesn't like it if you transport slime and it does release polluted oxygen. It caused the game to crash (no crash if it goes through wall)

Also it was possible to heat up ice on the conveyor to > 0°C because it doesn't state change

Edited by Hanmac

OK, so it looks like the previously mastered jobs aren't automatically calculating the skill and attribute bonuses on old saves ...So *Fires Everyone and walks them back through each job assignment manually*

And that seems to work.

Edited by The Plum Gate
  • Thanks 1

Does this means we need to start our base over? To make sure the duplicants have their stats from job mastery? Or just to have the Athletics gains they should have got until then :)

I understand this can happen in a preview. I just do not want to lose time trying to fix mu current game if nothing will works with that update :)

Also, my geysers are way too far so without more Athletics, it is a lost cause I think. Will see tonight I guess.

Since jobs still affect priority within the same P-level, is it still the case that it takes 2 dupes to build every object? 1 dupe for supplying the build materials, and 1 dupe to come construct it.

This is worse when building on an spot that must first be dug, especially ladders to explore deeper areas. Wait for 1 dupe to dig the tile, then 1 to deliver the ladder materials, then 1 to build it. Then repeat for every step of the ladder.

Even if I increase the priority of this task, it would still be equal priority for the 3 jobs, still taking synchronous work.

Edited by midjones

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Just a quick note regarding priority: in addition to implementing Duplicant Jobs this update, we also tried to tackle some of the thorny issues of Priority. We felt it was a natural fit that Jobs also affect priority, but we haven’t been happy with the side effects. In particular, it was hard to understand, and now that we've added the ability to retain mastery it didn’t make much sense anymore, so we are going to backburner reviewing priorities for a later update.

Please keep posting your feedback, we really appreciate it!

typo:

s/expecations/expectations/ for STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.STATS.RESUME.MASTERED_ROLES_TOOLTIP

s/dcreasing/decreasing/ for STRINGS.DUPLICANTS.CHORES.PRECONDITIONS.IS_GETTING_MORE_STRESSED

Edited by krop

@Yannick Vachon, I don't think so. But I did notice that none of my dupes had their base stats automatically calculate bonuses to previously mastered jobs, so I fired everyone and started rehiring them in each role they previously mastered, and this seems to give them those bonuses appropriately.

Unfortunately, I've got 14 dupes and each has mastered 5 or more jobs, so this is going to be a time consuming process.

36 minutes ago, Domelo said:

Thanks for the update, nice tuning and fixes. (you guys update fast too. props).

I'm just worried about this:

It sounds limiting, the 1-5* priority had it's flaws but I've felt more in control than before, going back to almost the older system feels strange now. I will test to see how it goes , I'll probably have to adopt a different priority strategy.

It's basicly the same as the 1-5* priority system just that the soft priorities only have 1 priority level. The end result is very similar, but simpler, in a sense it is best of both worlds. I liked the 1-5* better but the simplicity of this patch might win out.

The big change here is not the priority levels though. The job mastery and duplicant progression changes seem to address all the major concerns about this update, which have been discussed here. This is really, really good and fast.

• Like 3