The March of Civilization--Now With Agriculture!

The Agricultural Revolution!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue this thread onto Year 2, or put it into a new thread for clarity?

• Yes, a new chapter should have its own new beginning.
    • Nah, I'm down with scrolling.

So...after losing my original server where I was trying this because the new code for the Forge made one of my mods incompatible, I've decided to try it again.  Why is this called (dramatic voice) The March of Civilization?  Because the idea is to gradually unlock things based (ish.  kinda.) on when they were invented in actual history as opposed to when they open up GAME-wise.  Hence, for example, while the Thermal Stone is an alchemy engine, aka Tier 2, recipe, I'm allowed to have one in the "stone age" part of the challenge.  Because...it's a rock.  : P  (Magic and things that just plain don't make sense (endothermic fire, anyone?) will have to be fudged in where necessary.) 

So basically...think of this as Don't Starve meets Civilization.  Two of my favourite great tastes--will they taste great together?  Who knows!  But it'll at least be interesting to find out.  :)

The rules are complicated and still probably need tweaking, I'm sure, but some overall basics are:  Mods should be...moderate (ba-dum-tish!) and if you use Wickerbottom, you may ONLY use her walking-science-machine trait to make stuff that's useable in your current stage.  If you FIND something that you aren't allowed to make yet, you are allowed to use it...but not prototype any more, so once it runs out it runs out.  Each stage takes at least a normal-length game year (70 days) or four seasons, whichever is longer.  Because I'll be randomising my seasons, like always!  :D  Nothing's more fun than being a stone-age nomad all alone in the elements in a harsh world...unless it's being a stone-age nomad all alone in the elements in a CRAZY world.  : P

The mods I'll be using:

Actual Season Randomiser, Animal Variety, Auto Re-Equip Weapon, Auto Health Adjust, Gnome Variety, More Pets <3 (seriously that's part of the name), My Birds and Berries, No Thermal Stone Durability (I come from singleplayer, dangit.  How do rock break on rock's own?), Painted Pig Houses, Pickle It!, Shipwrecked Characters, and Thirst.

Some of these are beneficial (Pickle It and My Birds and Berries both add more food around, and the former allows you to preserve veggies because seriously, why only meat?) some are...why doesn't the game have this already (Auto Re-Equip Weapon), some are purely aesthetic (variety, pets, painted houses) and a couple actually make things MORE difficult (Thirst and the Season Randomizer)!  Note that you don't have to use any of these yourself, but I would reccommend Pickle It!  Preserving foods by different spices/storage methods _is_ pretty old, and fits well into the "marching through history" thing.

Last but not least--not actually a rule, but I like to stay in the _spirit_ of the thing by wearing primitive fur/leather looking stuff in the first stage.  Forge stuff works well for this.

This is just the intro post--actual beginning and pictures coming up next!  (This is long enough already.)

...Notorious

More or less...the original was several steps in and on Day 300-something.  (And I miss the Oasis Catcoon...but at least I took pictures.)  I'm nowhere near as far in yet this time, but I'm documenting it more than before.  I think.

(EDIT:  For anyone who's already seen these on Steam, I apologise for re-using some of the captions.  Sometimes what I wrote the first time was just what made the most sense.  : P)

dstcivday1petcave.png.1febf46d2eeceb4c86d9d7342d327239.png

DAY ONE--Meet our new Stone-Age Survivor as she meets...something else?  Man, I've never found the pet den so fast!  Although...the pet I want (a cat, natch) I can't have yet, if I plan to stick to the theme correctly.  And I do.  I'll let the smarty-pantses among you figure out why.  :)  (If you don't feel like it, click on the spoiler.)

Spoiler

If I wanted a dog I could have one right away--dogs made a bond with humans WAY back in the "caveman" days.  Cats, however, didn't get domesticated until they started wandering into the granaries to kill the rats, upon which they kinda "domesticated" _themselves_.  Granaries = agricultural revolution = not in the wandering hunter-gatherer stage of the challenge = I can't has kitty yet.

I wanted a female character who would be not specially advantaged (Wickerbottom) OR specially _dis_advantaged for this lifestyle (Wigfrid without a crockpot for a _whole year_?  Kill me now).  Originally I was gonna go with Willow the way I did the first time, but something about the Winter's Feast update messed up the Willow mod I like (the one that puts her all the way back to singleplayer, including insanity-fires) and the dev hasn't fixed it yet.  So I tried out the Shipwrecked Characters mod, thinking THAT would probably be messed up as well, and...it wasn't!

So that's why Walani, for anyone wondering.  It's also just fun to see her react to the landlubber/winter stuff. : P

dstcivday2pineapples.thumb.png.2a63b1b171c5558dece692efdd2b1fff.png

Hey, Walani!  Look--pineapples!  That oughta look familiar! 

WALANI:  You can't fool me.  It's still gonna freakin' snow.

(wish I had zoomed in better on some of these so they looked nicer.  Also, you only get ONE pineapple when you pick that whole bush.  Hmph.)

dstcivday9temptingbackpack.png.479db00740000b4db4a965c9bc751682.png

So...I'm not allowed to MAKE a backpack yet, but there's a free one right...there...

(BIRD:  PHOTOBOMBS THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING)

dstcivday11glommersnewhome.thumb.png.c5bee77c762b809bdd9cd6bea6894a14.png

Welcome to your new home, Glommer! Pull up a...grass.

(This location is AMAZING--so close to so many things!  I found the pet den AND Glommer within, like, the first five days, not to mention a rockland, a swamp _and_ all the resources a savannah/meadow combo can give you.  If you can put up with the occasional meteor bombardments, it's great!  : P)

Oh--the other stuff there is things I found on dead people, mainly, + hammering down pig heads at the touchstone (found both of them already, too) and the triangle thing is my water condenser.  Very low-tech, and kinda necessary considering the Thirst mod.  I can't USE this stuff yet, but obviously I didn't wanna leave it behind.

...and as you can see from the extra inventory slots on the right, OPERATION:  BACKPACK RAID, 2018! was successful. Hee.

And finally for this post, the picture I should've taken at the beginning, but was too busy...actually playing to do so.

dstcivday13allowedstuff.png.b65f9980dd994cd32a1d2d62b6545ce2.png

Lined up here behind Walani as she does the...um...ancient dance of the Hen Goddess to thank nature for its bounty, are the only things I'm allowed to make and use for the entire year.  The ENTIRE YEAR.  A garland, a parasol, a pickaxe, an axe, earmuffs, a torch (hard to see behind her there), a thermal stone, traps, spears, logsuits, and both types of small fire.  That's it, aside from firepits and food. (And companions like Glommer and Chester.)  Mainly it has to look plausibly like it could be made out of natural things only and/or not take much in-game science to make.  The exception being the thermal stone because...rock. : P 

I do still have a science machine--I keep one in the Pig King's forest strictly for opening gifts.  :D

...Notorious

Well, she's wearing some Forge stuff I thought looked vaguely primitive-but-still-cute-together (Wilson's top, Willow's skirt, Wolfgang's hand-paint and Wendy's furry sandals, I think) but she isn't wearing a new _head_ skin or anything.  Kinda can't, seeing as how she's not actually a DS_T_ character so there aren't specific skins for her.  Heh.  (Although I still say it'd be cool if we could link our DST inventory to singleplayer Don't Starve and put the characters in whatever skins we've unlocked, but that has nothing to do with anything.)

Oh, it only looks relaxing NOW 'cos it's the first fall.  As a little teaser for my most recent play session, it involved me running screaming through the dark and rain _towards_ a giant to help me out.  Ten hounds at once is way too much for a single player without tooth traps...

Also the thirst mod is...interesting.  I almost died a couple times when out exploring 'cos it took me way longer to find a pond to drink from (you CAN also drink seawater, but it requires purifying first and I don't have that tech yet) and even when you _do_, something annoying sometimes happens.  Something that...is ALSO rather familiar to Walani...  (I had no idea I'd picked such an appropriate character to be the first one I played with that mod, but it's kinda hilarious.)  Anyway!

dstcivday22sleepybye.png.66732f27b8c61a3a4269d132c3ec7d46.png

Siiiilent niiiiight...freeeezing niiiiight...  Found the Antlion's desert, the Oasis, the loot therein and Chester all in the same day and a half, I think.  Since that unfortunate dead fisherman doesn't need his bedroll anymore, I might as well use it to sleep away the crazies.  With my earmuffs on my face.  : P

dstcivday33dacomrade.png.cc01c2b3225540ac1fa43c0f3e567e88.png

....she says, suddenly having become a Cold-War-Stereotype Russian.  XD  Glory to Arstotzka Starvania!

...also...that's a bucket.

(I shouldn't make fun, though, since...now that I think about it I think the person who made the Thirst mod IS Russian!  Whoops.  Or from somewhere else that uses the Cyrllic alphabet, anyway--there's thanks to the people who translated the mod in the credits, and the vast majority of the comments about it are in Cyrllic letters.)

Ah, I just now realised I hadn't taken any pictures for most of the winter!  Well, it wasn't that eventful. Mainly me wandering around, trying to find still-unpicked plants that would help with craziness and exploring stuff.  The Deerclops showed up a whole night LATE, which made me worry about the length of this winter, but when he did show he appeared right near a bunch of spiders and almost totally ignored me.  Fun fact:  If there are no actual structures around, the Deerclops will take it out on random trees.  ("What?  You talkin' ta me, fir?  You think you're BETTER than me, sequoia?  COME DOWN HERE AND SAY THAT TO MY FACE!")

At least it's easy to get water during the winter.  Just scrape it off the ground--yum!

dstcivday34pineapplesmoothies.png.bf7502ba8c404d5f76a596ba70ae0188.png

Pineapple smoothies, anyone?  ;)  (I also just noticed that same darker blue bird (nightbird) is in both pictures with the pineapples.  Does it live here?  I totally wanna catch one of those when I get a birdcage--they're so pretty.)  I think this was Day...34?  When you pose it takes away the whole UI.  Heh.

dstcivday36longdecember.png.fc250aaccfea7458dbd52da1282b7f95.png

Huh.  Ya know, I think it's gonna be a longer winter.  Don't know what exactly gave me that idea, but, yeah... (she says, pointedly not looking at the day number in the corner.  Also hi random kittybutt.)  Actually...now that I look at it, the way she's standing in front of that little hole makes it look like she's waiting for a groundhog to pop out. 

And since this IS actually Groundhog Day in real life, I think I'll just put on an MP3 of "I Got You Babe" in the background and call this post here.  ;)

...Notorious

Chapter 3!

dstcivday37rudegreetings.png.d6489df592aad29812cc6095e6c8e96c.png

Look at ALL those METEOR MARKS right by the entrance!  Uh, yeah...it's probably just as well I'm playing alone for now.  I'd hate some innocent little newbie's first impression of my world to be a flaming space-rock to the head.  : P

dstcivday40shadowclothes.png.aaf3140463f4bf5d02b7d200c0fba4e2.png

Shadow clothes?  For ME?  Oh, you shouldn't have!  I'm'a wear this.  Yeah, it's totally anachronistic, but I put this picture here to explain just what the heck Walani is wearing in the next several pictures. Heh.

(also, hi green birch tree.  Big relief to see you there.)

dstcivday42springhassprung.png.aa6e27134970350658bc257a21664038.png

CATCHY MUSIC TIME!  Everybody Charleston!  Well, it's Spring all right...and no better way for the game to tell you that, than to have a great antlered feathery thing crash in what would be your backyard if you had one.  Okay, okay, I'm LEAVING, I'm leaving, sheesh.  My traps are useless here anyway now, so I was already heading for the frog ponds in the west.  Bye!

dstcivday51moonlightsonata.png.a951b36a7458650ed0e1c8a2e5071e3f.png

(waggles finger) Don't sit under the apple tree, with anyone else but me...

Oh wait wait Glommer right (a hound took him out a long time ago).  Okay.  Just lemme take a selfie finish posing for this Obligatory Cute Picture and I'll go get 'im.

dstcivday52revenge.png.845bbe15e6ed0c3af41d0ab3ab54a387.png

Well, that didn't work out...damn werepig living RIGHT THERE.  But at least revenge was served.  And it was delicious with eggs and hash browns.

dstcivday52YIKES.png.b17158ce639f6ec1fdb7731feb81bf43.png

GAAAAH!  Close enough for ya?  Sheesh...

dstcivday52springfightsitself.png.2655903e3fd2394ed3da317469eefd4d.png

So...in addition to rain and space rocks, the heavens have seen fit to also throw FROGS at me!  These frogs might've picked the wrong swamp to invade, however...

This is all THE SAME DAY, people.

dstcivday53helpmamagoose.png.44d482a1806b43b2116b1f812b66333c.png

HELP HELP HELP HELP MAMA Goose HEEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Giants can be useful sometimes.  :)  This is actually the SECOND time I lead the dogs over here this spring--I've been getting packs of like 8-10 and I'm all by myself, and often beaten up already because of exposure-freezing.  So...yeah.  You land in my backyard, I will remember where you are and exploit you.  Bwahaha.

(And this is a different one from the other picture.  That one lived in a swamp and had the moslings hatched already; this one doesn't even seem to have gotten on with her egg-laying yet.  Possibly because I keep interruping things with hounds.  : P)

And I'll call this one here.

...Notorious

19 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Shadow clothes?  For ME?  Oh, you shouldn't have!  I'm'a wear this.  Yeah, it's totally anachronistic, but I put this picture here to explain just what the heck Walani is wearing in the next several pictures. Heh.

Now Walani can be a ghoststarver:5a1b2e8d6b95a_GhoststarversapproachaForgeportrait.thumb.png.487387ef879c594b8704c0f219294510.png

"And...where are you FROM, exactly?"

"....ze upper Vest Side?"

;)

Also I FILL BOTTLE WITH SNOW.  (You can't NOT read that in That Russian Accent.  You just can't.  XD)

Shadow-starver with a black _rose_ on the back too, no les--heyo!  Anyway I don't have enough new pictures to make a decent new "chapter" right now, so I'm'a play a bit further and come back to edit this post.   (Or make a new one, whichever.)  Heh.

...Notorious

Okay, so...in case you're wondering why no new pictures yet, I...did a stupid.

A really STUPID stupid.

...and I've been trying to kindasortamaybe fix it ever since.  Heh...

I do technically have four more pictures from before The Stupid, but that's not enough for a "chapter".  But, here they are anyway:

dstcivday54beequeen.png.8335e3baf505b6de4dec41bd08bd7107.png

The Bee Queen is my kind of neighbor--a boss who doesn't attack you or destroy your base unless you attack her first.  Also I thought this story could use a nice pretty, calm, colourful spring picture to contrast with all the dark rainy death.  : P

dstcivday54goatsociety.png.b34071473b2d888dd9eeb0d7b2d8ddd1.png

Walani prepares for her intiation into the Goat Secret Society.

dstcivday58forcetobereckonedwith.png.accd79e1d959762491980316de2559cf.png

(sighs) Wouldn't be spring without at least one of these things, too--usually popping up unexpectedly right by my damn firepit.  Lureplants : The Constant's best advertisement for flooring.

dstcivday60springshowdown.png.068eb717f0bf66c74f3239cd0ef0c0a1.png

I'm actually proud of this picture, dangerous as it was to take.  The Queen of Spring vs. the Queen of the Dark Forest.  This SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!!  Who will win?  Place your bets now!

(The answer is:  I actually don't know, I got the hell out of there.  I also don't even know why this Spring Giant is even _here_; there's nothing here even remotely resembling a nesting site.  Did she land specifically to mess with the spiders?  XD)

...and that's all I got, until I can recover from The Stupid.  Sigh.

...Notorious

Heh.  Thanks...and if you think the pictures look a little...different next time you see some?  There's a reason why...  (smacks self upside forehead)

But let's take a nice walk through the new cherry forest to cheer up a little:

dstmyneighborcatcoon.png.e1305a91576aa58ec60113d40f7f4bf8.png

On Steam, Lunoah referred to this one as "My Neighbor Catcoon".  XD  SO PRETTY

...Notorious

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

THATS THE REBOOT GHOSTARVERS. WHER AR DE ORIGINALZ!?!

5a1b2e37c0360_Wilsontriesbeingaghoststarver.png.3c72510434d944d796cd38ac63991204.pngI did both.:wilson_ecstatic:

Yeah, not a fan of the new movie but wanted to tackle both.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

But let's take a nice walk through the new cherry forest to cheer up a little:

Not a big fan of the mod but I'm glad you liked it.:wilson_dorky:

I think both pictures are adorable...and I was actually more surprised on the first one that it's a scene from Ghostbusters TWO, before I realised that it's also the Reboot Starvers.  XD

(and now I've got this image in my head of them tapping a badge on their chests and saying "Reboot!" and they configure into an entirely different game...wait.)

ANYway.  The Stupid, as you might've guessed from the date in the "My Neighbor Catcoon" picture (it's only Day 6!  What happened to Day 60?)...is that I died in the original world and frantically, instead of lunging for the escape button so I could disconnect and have more time to get to the touchstone later (it was late at night and I didn't feel like playing any more right then anyway)...I...lunged for RESET NOW and had.  to do.  the entire hunter-gatherer stage.  AGAIN!

So...yeah, since I had to start over _anyway_, I tweaked the world a bit, such as making it huge instead of normal-sized and putting in the Cherry Forest. Because I was in a bad mood and wanted something cute and cheerful.  (The actual forest is in only one seperate biome of the world, and it's quite far away from where I ended up putting my base, so it's easy to avoid if you don't want it.)

So here are a few highlights from the new timeline:

dstcivday30-bfirefilesinthesnow.png.d28f9e4c98167209fc10a3cf83fa9670.png

Such a nice peaceful, Christmasy looking night, isn't it?

And then the very next day was spring.  Oh, and the Deerclops showed up on Night _29_ and scared the beejeebus out of me.  And, _as_ I was running away from him by torchlight, I saw why...the birch trees were already green again, so, short winter.  This is why you keep those things by your camp, people.  (Birch trees, not Deerclopses.)

dstcivday47-bsleepyfamily.png.c398d11f03f9f47420bbed256a2efda5.png

Haha!  Ohmygod, how often do you get a picture like this--a giant AND baby, both peacefully sleeping and well-lit enough to actually see!  I'm amazed I didn't wake her up, to be honest.  Hey, Mama Goose, do you mind if I just...kinda...squish past you and grab that mushroom? kthnxbai

dstcivday49-bsweetcrispycherries.png.af0519383e2b7df9c50fce8ee30cfd27.png

(pfff) I love some of Walani's...turns of phrase, shall we say.  This picture is from when I went back to the Cherry Forest, allll the way across the huge-map world, to actually GET a cherry this time so I could plant it at my camp and not _have_ to go alllll the way across the huge-map world when I wanted cherry pie later.  (I WAS gonna take a decent picture of the whole map with markers and snarky captions as to where things were, but something odd happened last night...)

While I was here, I thought I'd see if the Cherrylings actually let you USE their glow, or pissed right off the second you come near them, like fireflies.  Turns out they do let you hang for a _bit_...then you gotta chase them down again.  XD  (I wonder if any of my cherry trees will eventually spawn these things...?)

And said transplanted cherry tree can be see here, in a picture you've already seen in another thread but which I originally took for THIS one:

dstcivday57cherriesandapples.png.38e97744b1a4a0702a4b765e0318a926.png

Walani:  A Waveless Adventure indeed--whaddya mean, waveless?  She's waving right now!

(ba-DUM-tish!)

And that catches us up from The Stupid; next post I'll actually be moving ahead.  FINALLY.  The two timelines converge on Day 61.

...Notorious

Well...let's look outside--where I always am anyway--and see what time it is:

dstcivday61summersigh.png.90b8722504a6c9da172fa47020dcc378.png

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY!  WE'VE BEEN TELEPORTED INTO AN OLD SEPIA-TONED PHOTOGRAPH!  I mean, wait, no...it's summer.  Way worse.

dstcivday64kittyinthesand.png.220d85a88517aec61804c20903fc0acd.png

I PUT the Oasis Catcoon back, with the console!  If I have to restart the damn challenge _twice_, at least let me have my cuteness, dammit.  Meanwhile, the cat was OBSESSED with those fireflies and kept trying to somehow put itself onto the pond all night, to no avail.

dstcivday66summerorchard.png.3c07146534690100e74517a4218c2973.png

Curious what my little bower/orchard area looks like under summer lighting?  Too bad you're getting that anyway.  Also I should probably drink some water out of the condenser thingie before it overflows or something.

dstcivday69ihatesnakes.png.86e2930d1fa769f654b88d0c9520c852.png

ME:  HEY, WALANI!  LOOK FAMILIAR?

WALANI:  I hate you.

Remember when I said earlier that sometimes something annoying happens when you try to drink out of a pond--something that makes my character-choice especially funny?  THIS IS IT!  Sometimes, you get snakes.  Who bark like dogs.

...Hey, a snake can identify as a dog if it wants to. Don't shatter their dreams!

But yeah.  Snakes.  Why did it have to be snakes...

dstcivday71madmaxwalani.png.85c114904946934e4352f81e469abd20.png

Mad Maxine poses for her '80s music video.  Aka, I never did get around to finding the sand goggles recipe this summer (the desert is WAY far away!), but I did manage to get the fashion ones.  : P

dstcivday72mmmbarbecue.png.f80b422ff9b398532132fd88c6a18c07.png

Mmmm, mmm!  Nothing like a good old-fashioned birchwood barbecue!  Also, that pile of ash?  It used to be a sapling, which kept trying to set OTHER things on fire.  I hurt myself putting out that pineapple bush--twice.  You're welcome, bees.

dstcivday74thankyoutrees.png.8528d075cfdcc753bf44363b829aa88f.png

Thank goodness. Thank you, trees.  Looks like a normal-length summer then.

dstcivday74wellspot.png.46609979ea13c258b76abda04659f161.png

See this random lump of dirt?  It'll be important later.

dstcivday75lastdayofsummer.png.e2c9be97b164b2ce3bf07a6436668946.png

The last day of summer and I am proud to announce that--despite the lack of a fling-o-matic or even water balloons--this area NEVER BURNED DOWN!  Ta-da-da-DAAAA! (trumpet fanfare)  Mainly because I wasn't here very often.  : P  Also WHY IS IT SO DARK?  This is AFTER I fiddled with the colours/contrast a bit, too.  I would think the main problem with summer would be a _surplus_ of sunlight?

And that catches us up to THE END OF THE FIRST YEAR!!  :D Which brings up a question:  Should I continue the challenge here, or start a new thread for the new chapter?  Vote now!

...Notorious

Yep!  Except for those who got killed by a frog, bee, hound, giant...  (The same reason birchnutters never bother me for long--the area I live in is so busy it basically fights itself all the time.)  They stop chasing you after a bit, meaning that often I'll find random curled-up circles on the ground, sleeping.  It's oddly kinda cute. :)  "Awww, aren't you adorable QUICK STAB IT WHILE IT'S ASLEEP!"

I'm not sure if "island" is the right word though, considering it's more like a massive continent (especially since the world is set to "huge" now).  Then again, I guess technically continents ARE islands, in a way.

Dumb question--is there a way to add a poll to an already-existing thread, or do I have to make a seperate thing...?

...Notorious

Okay!  Time for Year 2!

NEW RULES:

SETTLING

If you survive the first year, congratulations!  You are a nomad no more.  You can now _live_ by (one of) your firepit(s), plunk down a science machine and/or alchemy engine that you don't have to leave behind, and construct your first sentient-being-made shelters.  Tents, lean-tos, straw and fur rolls are all available now.  

NEW THINGS AVAILABLE:

--Shovels
--Domesticating beefalo (this is about when humans started taming cattle)
--Can dig up berry bushes, grass tufts and saplings for your camp.
--AGRICULTURAL REVOLUTION! but primitive still.  Only basic farms.
--Grass and wood walls
--Primitive "religion":  If doing this in DST during the "Year of the Gobbler/Varg" event (or with a server set to that afterwards), you can make the Gobbler/Varg Shrine.  Presumably you're praying to the great Turkey Spirit for plentiful food this year/praying for protection from dangerous animal attacks, or something.  (Note that when I first wrote this, it was ONLY Year of the Gobbler...)

--Drying racks.  Preserving food by drying goes back many thousands of years.
--Pickle barrel, if you have the Pickle It! mod--pickling food to preserve it also goes back a long ways.
--Potter's wheel--many pre-agricultural societies had pottery.  And you need the Pottery tech to make the Granary improvement!  ;)
--Wardrobes.  Yes, really--individual decoration for status and beauty goes like, ALL the way back.  So if you want to keep your neolithic self stylish, go for it! (Since these clothes have absolutely no gameplay advantage, you can go ahead and wear whatever.)

--PETS! but you're not allowed to keep the crock pot needed to make one of the ingredients.  Not until later.

--Tooth traps are now available.
--Herbal medicine--you may now make poultices, but you'll have to fight bees to get the honey for them (as you can't tame your own yet).  Also telltale hearts and booster shots, if necessary.
--WELLS if using the Thirst mod.  The oldest wells are like, 8,000 years old or so.

Special case:  If somebody has found anything magical by now, (found, not made--we're not counting the endothermic fires here), you can make a lightning rod because, again, "miracles from the gods".  It's actually supposed to show up when it was invented in real life--during the very LAST stage of the challenge, but...I tried getting through an entire spring without one and...let's just say that once you HAVE an actual base, it...didn't go well.  Say it's less that our primitive people know about how electricity works, and more that they're making a decorative metal spire to appease the heavens.

I did find a Fire Staff at that one beefalo-fort trap, so yes I can has lightning rod. :)

Again, if you WANNA play this the original purist way, go for it.  Just be prepared to rebuild your camp, now that you have one.  A lot.   
No other metalworking is allowed yet.

And that's the new rules!  Actual pictures start in the next post.

...Notorious

So...that lump of dirt in the last (actual pictures) post?  It's significant because you can dig it into a hole...

dstcivday87wellactually.png.c6c569713198cd15f2b14bb5821ad376.png

...and then do this.  :)

Weirdly enough this is actually one of the main reasons I wanted the Thirst mod--nothing makes an ancient (or medieval) town square look more like a town square than a good ol'-fashioned stone well.  Too bad most well-spots are in the arse end of nowhere.  I'm lucky to have found one NEAR where I wanted to put my base.  Maybe eventually there'll be a cobblestoned road out to it or something.

dstcivday88highpriestess.png.2a67349d9226f26f0797128aaf7bbc9e.png

The High Priestess of Starvania (mark 2) and her fluffbutt.  Naturally getting a kitty was very high priority.  Duh.

dstcivday93allswellthatendswell.png.a3feddd18f14a4afd7ac0caa27c2a00b.png

NEW YEAR OF THE VARG LOOT! and you know what that does?  Do you? It makes my well fancier somehow, that's what!

dstcivday99KITTY.png.08f16e93e57c58d17d038afc37c42816.png

Obviously a High Priestess must not only have a familiar, but a fireproof one.  XD

dstcivday104actualstructureszomg.png.c8ab11704d36e4141fdbd4a5f7005fbc.png

Actual structures!  ZOMG!  Could this be...turning into a _settlement_?

I normally leave berry bushes where they are as they're healthier that way/don't need fertiliser/won't all burn down at once (and then just live where they're already nearby anyway)...but the Bearger had already knocked these out of the ground for me, so...

dstcivday106agriculture.png.2ba91aa4c0b3aaaafa9a8a3e74ce9e60.png

The aforementioned agriculture!  Not very much yet, but hey.  Notice how I can't make very many farms in a row because _other food-bearing things are in the way_.  Heh.

dstcivday114itsawater.png.8eb1c43db2215d062087c5909e62215b.png

It's a water. How much is "a" water? It's "a", duh!

(I was actually trying to interact with the distilator thingie, but all I could do was "examine".  With these results.  : P)  Yes, this is the same water I offered to the Klei gods.  I live right near a bunch of ponds; there's plenty.

dstcivday117flowerboard.png.7d8315dca172052671a9bcf861ff18f2.png

And we end off on our hilarious board-growing flower.  It may just be a layering issue but it's still funny.  I wouldn't've known; I'm not allowed to make pitchforks and grab flooring just yet.  Otherwise this would've been bare SO long ago...!

Also look at the date. IT'S STILL FALL.  The trees hadn't even _started_ turning bare yet at this date.  50 days, I got.  50 freakin' days.  (76-126) Unless the other seasons are all teensy, this year is gonna be a long'n.

...Notorious

Next chapter!

dstcivday126yearofthevarg.png.572d7d51b3973c1cd8c7130e927582c7.png

The Year of the Varg! in the blink-and-you'll-miss-it winter.

dstcivday129natureisconfused.png.3373de5d35ef764b592eecf3a9a550dd.png

At this point, nature itself seems to have thrown its hands up and gone:  "BUH?!"

dstcivday129pigkingandbearger.png.e5babd20f5064adc27f2c7b20a99197b.png

In these days of stress and strife, with monster vs. monster all over the Constant...enjoy this picture of two large creatures just peacefully hangin' on the same screen.  :)  (Although I have no idea what's up with that blue-screen-of-death pond...)

dstcivday146hanginintherain.png.6be1e63402b7073c6dec98e6bf15c3d2.png

Just hangin'.  In the rain.  I didn't actually get much done this spring; I spent most of the time running all over the place trying to re-fill in my damn map after that weird glitch happened.

And last but not least for this little chapterlet:

dstcivtoga.png.863e58867707f39f2b2541d1e745c998.png

EEE PERFECT TIMING!  Now I have my outfit for the Classical Era!  :D

...Notorious

Archived