Occupational Upgrade Preview now available!

The job changes are visual nice(hats!), but second time a fresh base crashed, because they refused to deconstruct. Fertilizer usage on maelwood gives big workload early on. Slimelung spreading wilder then before, early on it's the end. Not sure about the balance for new players .. ^^
Edit:
By the way, the science hat is looking like this..
41oqlFiEwDL.jpg

Edited by Oozinator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

will my saved game work after the update?

Highly depend on how complicated you made it. If you explored the options extensively and have a complicated set up, then no, probably not. If you only have very basic stuff going on in your build then probably yes but you might as well start over as the save game dupes lacks traits and interests so they can't be assigned jobs.

20 minutes ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

I was hoping it would get answered in the stream.... but, what do the "smart" items do? what's the perk to having/using them?

In an ideal world where they work fully as intended, you can set the total storage capacity and when it reaches that it gives out a TRUE signal. This could be used to for example automate your metal refining, so you'd want a certain amount of refined metal to always be available you could set the storage compactor to that amount and when that is reached a rock crusher that is set on continuous production could be switched off at that point. Same with fridges switching off grills. Smart batteries switching of generators when full, or reaching a certain charge level.

Edited by Saturnus
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Developer
5 hours ago, FutureJohny said:

Anyone else noticing mayor frame drop in the preview? For my map spanning base / biome terraforming project, it went from barely noticeable stutter on occasion to below 20 frames. I suppose those are just kinks of early builds, so rolled back to stable build for now. Hope it get's fixed though.

I think this was mentioned elsewhere in the post but the preview build will always be significantly slower than when the release build because it's a debug build so we can get proper file line numbers for crashes. That being said, we've also been doing some optimizations so when the build does go live, it should run faster than what's available in the current live build.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Nativel said:

Game become more easy every update, I expect some monsters coming at nights and fights :confused:

Pretty sure this actually increased difficulty, not decreased it, with the massive nerf to food, and I swear dupe AI is even worse, although that may just be because the job system/priority system doesn't mesh as well as I'd like compared to being able to just flat out control what each individual dupe could do as I could before.   I do hope they give us back direct control over individual dupe job trees, and not just force us to try and fit them into the various shaped holes in the new job system.  This change is really painful in the early game especially, before you have a half-decent dupe population.   In the old system, I'd just set my science dupe to also work althetics for power production, and let him keep the power going for his own computers exclusively in the early game.  Now its a mess trying to keep him from having the AI tree prioritize something I don't want it to just because the power just ran out and he needs to go recharge the battery.

Edited by Steelflame
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Highly depend on how complicated you made it. If you explored the options extensively and have a complicated set up, then no, probably not. If you only have very basic stuff going on in your build then probably yes but you might as well start over as the save game dupes lacks traits and interests so they can't be assigned jobs.

I am wondering how many times so far has an update caused the current save game to be incompatible and required the player to restart?

Close to finishing my dream base after 1600 cycles and thinking about how much more time to commit to cleaning the gigantic mess outside of my base.  To make it picture perfect....

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

The job changes are visual nice(hats!), but second time a fresh base crashed, because they refused to deconstruct. Fertilizer usage on maelwood gives big workload early on. Slimelung spreading wilder then before, early on it's the end. Not sure about the balance for new players .. ^^
Edit:
By the way, the science hat is looking like this..
41oqlFiEwDL.jpg

I wish the science hat was glasses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tHe_silent_H said:

I wish the science hat was glasses

aluhuttraeger-istock.jpg

@Saturnus "..more tedious.."
This update is improving visuals (for me), i asked for hats some time ago and my wish got fulfilled. The tierbased jobthing could be a reaction, to our "all dupes are athletics 25+". Even the maelwood dirt fert thing, seems to be a reaction to "maelwood to OP".  Even when some updates not really, what i thought of, klei reacts to the community and that is a big bonus(for me). I am not sure, if this technical/science based game, is drifting into macro, to much now. But for sure,It feels different now.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

(This is probably what you meant) More precisely I wish it was safety goggles.

Speaking of Goggles...

Spoiler

LEEEAM!!.gif.6469cb6b39f4cfafe04d379b18023e55.gif

Spoiler

5a6b3b097a7d3_thisone.PNG.47f360a061735f11169660fae1616674.PNG4.PNG.cf1eb1bd65e1e9ff967555c23b053495.PNG5.PNG.1fc556c01f491470ba2cd5e8afe57399.PNG6.PNG.493da9c212ab64b9fca576ca7e77225f.PNG7.PNG.c7bc60c876a68fd3e4381e8a213f296d.PNG8.PNG.e2dfc82f3a329dd8796c051d720c776b.PNG5a6b3b40946a0_910.PNG.0f85da0ee13d4e35cffabd4ba4825066.PNG11.PNG.5643078dbb66aadf0f95539369789f51.PNG5a6b3b4458181_oculusliam.PNG.20673dddc7cf029696176595fbea82cb.PNG2.PNG.405ec051af0241a4aa458bf02c7b0043.PNG3.PNG.423a9268c2c28109a5633d838599a223.PNG

No I don't have a Liam fetish. :3

Real talk. When are we getting doctors/nurses?

I expect nurses to have those nurse hats 

Spoiler

Image result for nurse hat

And doctors to have this kind of hat:

Spoiler

Related image

And I'm hoping soon we'll be able to have dupes wear matching garbs for their jobs! (no pressure Klei. :3)

Edited by watermelen671
  • Like 3

After Update I noticed all my 2K Wires inside my bases begin to overload and destroyed if they are not connected to a power transformer. 

Mealwood say it needs dirt for perfect grow rate, but without there are no growing at all.

The pressure plates doing crazy things and I can't write a value inside it. Some having 399 Kilo for a door others showing me 199 kilo for the same. Nearly every pressure plates must be new adjusted to work again. Hard enough if I can't write a value inside the field.

Need more time to check other things out. First need my farms working again and fixing all this others trouble coming with new update.

18 minutes ago, Transwarp said:

After Update I noticed all my 2K Wires inside my bases begin to overload and destroyed if they are not connected to a power transformer. 

Mealwood say it needs dirt for perfect grow rate, but without there are no growing at all.

The pressure plates doing crazy things and I can't write a value inside it. Some having 399 Kilo for a door others showing me 199 kilo for the same. Nearly every pressure plates must be new adjusted to work again. Hard enough if I can't write a value inside the field.

Need more time to check other things out. First need my farms working again and fixing all this others trouble coming with new update.

My wires did not overload, but I suddenly found 120W/240W devices going out of power despite generating more than enough power. Hooking up batteries on the circuit after the transformer did fix this for me.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:02 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Smart Battery

YES. Finally.. \o/

Steam Turbine generator

I'm a little worried about this.

Massage table revision

Much needed. I hope it isn't so overpowered.

Hats

Awesome. Please add a christmas hat in the end of the year. ;)