Occupational Upgrade Preview now available!

28 minutes ago, goboking said:

Is there anything in this update that will required a new colony (new plants, animals, POIs, etc)?  Or will existing colonies get to experience everything on offer?

This is an interesting question indeed - are there any world gen changes that would make restarting worthwhile, or are we going to experience everything if we use an already established tubular base?

how does the steam turbine work? I'm confused.  It takes a liquid and outputs a liquid?  Steam is a gas so how to give it steam?  I tried pumping hot water into it, but no luck there, it just says output blocked even though output is not blocked.  I tried surrounding it with steam just in case, but that does nothing as well

54 minutes ago, donutman07 said:

how does the steam turbine work? I'm confused.  It takes a liquid and outputs a liquid?  Steam is a gas so how to give it steam?  I tried pumping hot water into it, but no luck there, it just says output blocked even though output is not blocked.  I tried surrounding it with steam just in case, but that does nothing as well

Put it in the middle of a large room. It must be built in free air, ie. no floor. The input and output pipes does nothing it seems so just connect them to each other. Fill the room with steam minimum 5kg/tile pressure and minimum 200C. Then wait for it to start up and start producing.

Once that is done it seems nothing will stop it. Cool it down again, it doesn't care. Make the room a vacuum, it doesn't care. So once started it is just endless free energy.

Seems bugged? Oh hell, yeah. 

EDIT: I should note. A reload makes it stop working again. So it needs to be reset to working every time you load the game but after that point nothing short of deconstructing it stops it from producing power. Even pulling out the liquid input and output does nothing.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone else noticing mayor frame drop in the preview? For my map spanning base / biome terraforming project, it went from barely noticeable stutter on occasion to below 20 frames. I suppose those are just kinks of early builds, so rolled back to stable build for now. Hope it get's fixed though.

Edited by FutureJohny

6 minutes ago, FutureJohny said:

Anyone else noticing mayor frame drop in the preview? For my map spanning base / biome terraforming project, it went from barely noticeable stutter on occasion to below 20 frames. I suppose those are just kinks of early builds, so rolled back to stable build for now. Hope it get's fixed though.

I believe ONI said that preview builds will have extra logging/metrics collecting in the background which causes the game to be slower, but lets them get analytic data on game performance so they can make QoL improvements

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Also, Supercomputers really supposedto take this amount of water? They consume 10kgs per SECOND, almost instantly

With research being finished before the need for exploration, they need to slow down research somehow.

I'm testing it right now,

some problems:

game gets laggy when you select research station and drag it around,

ore transport menu and utilities don't work when they are not researched

conveyor overlay shows f3 instead of shift+f3

I'm gonna remove my worldgendata and saves, then try testing it again.

Edited by Arash70

They also now fixed the required amount of water needed for sleet wheat. Previously a minimum of 9g/s for each plant was needed, now it is 33.33 g/s (or 20kg/cycle). I'm absolutely to reduce mealwood farm sustainability for the long term, but further reducing sleet wheat sustainability, a plant that already required huge amounts of cooling, that does not sit well for me. 20kg/cycle for each plant is too much water, especially to constantly cool down too.

Also kind of dislike that the update does not consider current game progress in existing colonies. Now suddenly dupes with skill levels of over 20 in mining find themselves unable to dig abyssalite because they have not mastered a certain job (which is really silly at that skill level).

There also now seems to be a bug with the super computer and research station demanding way too much water. Much more than displayed. Also the mechanics station seems to be missing for the machine shop.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Put it in the middle of a large room. It must be built in free air, ie. no floor. The input and output pipes does nothing it seems so just connect them to each other. Fill the room with steam minimum 5kg/tile pressure and minimum 200C. Then wait for it to start up and start producing.

Once that is done it seems nothing will stop it. Cool it down again, it doesn't care. Make the room a vacuum, it doesn't care. So once started it is just endless free energy.

Seems bugged? Oh hell, yeah. 

EDIT: I should note. A reload makes it stop working again. So it needs to be reset to working every time you load the game but after that point nothing short of deconstructing it stops it from producing power. Even pulling out the liquid input and output does nothing.

I tried your setup and it didn't do anything. It doesn't seem quite ready yet :)

ore transport seems to be about as useful as tubes.  I have little need to get large amount of stuff back from outside projects and same for moving building materials to far away lands...best case it is a one shot thing and not worth infrastructure like tubes or belts.

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

ore transport seems to be about as useful as tubes.  I have little need to get large amount of stuff back from outside projects and same for moving building materials to far away lands...best case it is a one shot thing and not worth infrastructure like tubes or belts.

I haven't installed this update yet, but I can envision using the best to transport plastic away from my processing center to avoid melting it into naptha.  I don't know if this is possible without a dupe loading the plastic, though, so I'll have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, goboking said:

I haven't installed this update yet, but I can envision using the best to transport plastic away from my processing center to avoid melting it into naptha.  I don't know if this is possible without a dupe loading the plastic, though, so I'll have to wait and see.

The Ore Transfer Arm has a wide area around it that it will pick up ores from the ground and deliver them to the conveyor... then another Transfer Arm can deliver from the Outbox to storage containers. No need for dupes to do it. (:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, goboking said:

Should be, with arms, ... I had a different idea, one storage unit for each type of material in a central location, each maintaining a certain storage, then any other resource beeing moved far away to a storage vault where it does not take up space in the base, I hope this can be done, with the arms :)

1 minute ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

The Ore Transfer Arm has a wide area around it that it will pick up ores from the ground and deliver them to the conveyor... then another Transfer Arm can deliver from the Outbox to storage containers. No need for dupes to do it. (:

Great to hear.  Thanks.