Sign in to follow this  
bdiz4shiz

Don't Starve Update Trailer: Insanity.

SiCkness    11

im losing it!!!! Ahhhhh!!! :)

Loosing my sanityyy!!!Oh, in Russia update will realise only on Wednesday, because it's 22:56, Monday (at the moment, I type it). Ok, I'll wait...:grumpy: Edited by SiCkness

Huzzah; I knew making the Dapper Vest and Top Hat would eventually pay off, just as I had thought surrounding my camp with Wooden Walls would pay off, except that time it went fairly horribly when a flame hound attacked and burned down the walls and killed the trees and bee boxes and... You know what? That's a bad example.

In the time it shows Wes, there's no health, hunger, or sanity meter. It could be just for show, or maybe that's one of his perks.

Maybe that's why he has trouble staying alive, because you can't tell if he's going hungry or not.

Kevin    2580

The trailer song is stuck in my head!!!!

You and me both! I get that thing stuck in my head every two weeks. /shudder

osadat    15

You and me both! I get that thing stuck in my head every two weeks. /shudder

Hahaha XD it's so catchy! Btw great work with the updates this is going to be the best game ever!I even made a playlist on you tube of all the update vids in order :p Edited by osadat

How about no? You knew what you were getting yourself into, you know since it's BETA, you knew the game was suppose to be hard/challenging.

Deal with it.

I disagree not only with your sentiment but with the assumptions your argument is based on. As to my own statements, they were intentionally strong so as to provoke a reaction. I apologize for them if they unduly ruffled your feathers. Let me explain more fully so that hopefully we can reach some middle ground, or at least we can recognize some validity within both arguments.

You mentioned, correctly, that this game is in BETA and supposed to be (in your words) "Challenging." This does not, however, imply that I automatically have to support every update that is released for the game. Raising suggestions, issues, and complaints are precisely the reason these forums exist. Furthermore I have found that key elements of the last three updates mark a serious departure from the game's intended (and stated) 'feel,' and should therefore be removed.

What are these features and why don't they fit? The three in question are Sanity, Spoil, and the Meat Effigy nurf. As stated by Klei entertainment within their roadmap...

Most of the actual work that is left to finish the game will fall into this category. The central problem with the difficulty curve right now is that once you have found a strategy that works, the game conditions don’t really change over time and you can continue to use that strategy indefinitely. In nerd-speak, people are natural optimizers, and they are getting stuck on local maxima.

This is why you often see people making massive berry farms and camping out behind tree walls. It’s not particularly challenging, and it quickly gets boring, but people do it anyway because the game rewards them for it. If we continue to (unintentionally) encourage this type of gameplay, I think that people will Soon get bored and burn out. The game needs to present a more dynamic challenge if it is going to capture people’s attention for a long time.

... they have taken serious issue with the idea of turtling for the reason that it Soon becomes monotonous. I couldn't agree more, it does become very irritating, very fast. Unfortunately these last three updates, which were intended to help solve the problem, have instead exasperated it. The way the game is set up at the present, having a strong secured base is still safer than knocking about alone in the wild (and it is my expectation that it will continue to be this way). The only question that remains is how long this base will take to build, and how much one will need to spend (in terms of time and resources) to maintain it.

Secondly, these updates are not dynamic, but static, and apply as much to characters on day 1 as day 101. As a result, instead of the early game remaining where it is (another stated intention) it has gotten progressively harder, making it necessary for individuals to rush a base in order to survive.

For those players who have already established themselves; the last three updates have only caused a deeper and more intensive turtleing strategies to emerge as a result. Whereas before, i could go out and roam anywhere from 60% to 70% of the time, with 30%-40% spent on maintaining a base, these updates have flipped this (I spend 80%-90% working on base upkeep and expansion post progress) making 'the base' a key concern rather than a minor concern.

Furthermore, this type of update hits harder upon leaving the base (you can't roam around and keep stacks of berries/morsels in inventory for long periods of time). In short it has become something of a double edged sword, not only hindering base productivity, but also "unintentionally" making it more necessary to have a base than ever.

For this precise reason I would urge Klei to admit that it made a few mistakes within its updates and rectify them. In their place new, smarter updates should be implemented, ones that actually work to solve the problem.

Sanity itself, in my opinion, can be allowed to stay, but only with the removal of one or preferably both of the 'anti-base' (which can more correctly be termed as anti-leave-your-base) updates.

I doubt this was quite in tune with your statement of 'deal with it,' which i'm sure equates to 'shut up and go away,' but I hope you found it at least a little to your liking. I assure you, I care as much about the game as you do.

One last word before I finish, while the curtain of anonymity on the internet allows for great freedom of expression it has often been abused in the form of wanton rudeness. I would urge you not to let passion get to the best of you and try to keep a level head while in the forums.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by thenotoriousmrbaker

Avarice    20

Stuff

Did you really feel this way before the progress update?

I find that the endless spider hordes are the only thing keeping me maintaining my base now, while before that update I explored far more often.

A typical game I'm only in my base long enough to get rations for an adventure, usually a single night. Then I'm out in the world for 2-3 days. The spoil mechanic lets me do this much, I don't think it's that bad.

As for the effigy, it's barely a nerf, there is no reason to maintain more than 1 at a time anyway and with logsuit/pigskin helmet you shouldn't be getting killed by anything other than your own mistakes.

On a side-note:The gobbler I think was a waste. A few spawn in my bushes and I chase them off and finish picking, if they hang around and get stuck on anything they die. I think this was their only mistake when trying to counter berry farms, it just makes people plant even more bushes to compensate.

I don't agree with removing the features you suggested, but I appreciate a well worded rant against them.

Silvi    27

*snip*Secondly, these updates are not dynamic, but static, and apply as much to characters on day 1 as day 101. As a result, instead of the early game remaining where it is (another stated intention) it has gotten progressively harder, making it necessary for individuals to rush a base in order to survive.

I have already mentioned this somewhere else I think, but YES OH GOD THIS. I already had friends tell me they don't like the game much because along with discovering how everything works, all the new additions seem to work well for people who know the game, but for new players, they're very hard to 'get into'.Similarily, I find myself speeding through the first 2 days and running as far and wide as I can so that I find a perfect base spot and start building it no later than 3-4 ingame days in. Before I would wander around for days on end, but those days are long past. Still, I am hoping there will be some update that focuses on encouraging exploration (kind of like the koalaphant, I liked that addition a lot) instead of punishing staying in one place.Don't get me wrong, I like building bases, but I used to like exploring too. Now it seems that comes only after the base is fully ready.