Is the forge coming back this year?

Yo Boi Maxwell

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come back. There's a huge demand for it to return and they still have the game assets ready to be used whenever they want. It's just a matter of fixing what needs to be improved on.

HEY! Look, they said this: Thanks to everybody who played and to those who didn't hopefully we'll have something a little more your style in the future. And: Please share your ideas and suggestions about future events here as well. We're already at work on our next event and look forward to sharing details with you soon.

I don't know about you, but I think they're totally working on the forge from the ground up for whatever reason.

6 hours ago, Xedlord said:

The devs said in a post that the forge was coming back soon, so that probably means this year. 

Last I knew they said it was a "maybe" and it wasn't 100% confirmed that it would return.

...unless you're referring to "event 2". But that could be completely different from the forge.

What ever they said, irrelevant compared to what Cellby which is dead on. People want it back, and even more importantly, the money and coding has already been spent on it. If they are going to do another event, they will do Forge again too.

No bloody way they will do future events and just leave all that money worth of coding sitting gathering dust on a drive, you can be sure that won't happen as much as you can be sure of anything like that. The only way we won't see Forge again is if they rename it, or they just abandon DST altogether, or at least doing events for it.

I can't believe this is still going on. The Devs said there would be something different, but the forge might come back sometime. Case closed.

On 2/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, truepurple said:

What ever they said, irrelevant compared to what Cellby which is dead on. People want it back, and even more importantly, the money and coding has already been spent on it. If they are going to do another event, they will do Forge again too.

That's like saying you should only make one type of cookie because you already know the recipe.

5 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

the money and coding has already been spent on it. If they are going to do another event, they will do Forge again too.

That's like saying you should only make one type of cookie because you already know the recipe.

That's not a valid comparison at all. It costs  significant money to code. And this is a business. Learning recipes does not cost much money, if any, and is not done for profit usually.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, Raspberry Milk said:

We're not saying that only Forge should come back, but the coding and the servers that Klei had to use a lot of money for would simply go to waste if they were never used again.

While the servers are for sure getting lots of use for future events, the Forge is just gonna sit there being unused unless Klei does something.

Alright, I've owned Don't Starve since before Steam and DST soon after it came out - I have NEVER ONCE seen ANY form of advertisement of events.  Until last night, I never heard of the Cyclus or Methus events, nor of player actual skins (not the in-game shirt/shoes/etc).

Respectfully speaking to the Devs, how are players supposed to know when these events happen?  I receive no email alerts, no extra warnings, and to my knowledge, no info in the actual game client.  So if people might be away from DST for awhile, how would they know?

"Loyalty skins" is an odd phrase.  I've thrown over a hundred dollars at this game for myself or buying copies of it for others, and while I don't feel entitled to just be given free stuff, it would be VERY helpful to leave the events running or allow players to re-do them and ACTUALLY get the awards, much like other popular retention games like World of Warcraft does.

Even playing during Hallowed Nights, I recall the Pig King doling out candy, but I never got anything outside of that.  I had a server up and running during "Year of the Varg" over a month back, and to my knowledge, got nothing for it either.

So now I read about "Forge," some arena style DST version.  ...Only to find it happened around Christmas, many people had no idea about it, and many are very understandably bitter about that.  That kind of exclusion usually hurts a player fanbase, it doesn't help it.  Klei, most people play this game casually amongst friends/family on private servers because the general populace of any game tends to lend towards griefing.

For an an avid gamer in his 30s with lots of titles to choose from, I enjoy DST with friends/family.  I would love the chance to get any of these skins again, as I'm sure would a large majority of other fans of the game.  Make the events public, the events available to everyone, etc.  Finding out that there are different ACTUAL LOOKS for every character and never knowing about it, and now having no real ability to get them is rather disheartening to hear.

If I am mistaken and there are ways to do so, please elucidate.

- Strael

29 minutes ago, Strael said:

Alright, I've owned Don't Starve since before Steam and DST soon after it came out - I have NEVER ONCE seen ANY form of advertisement of events.  Until last night, I never heard of the Cyclus or Methus events, nor of player actual skins (not the in-game shirt/shoes/etc).

Respectfully speaking to the Devs, how are players supposed to know when these events happen?  I receive no email alerts, no extra warnings, and to my knowledge, no info in the actual game client.  So if people might be away from DST for awhile, how would they know?

"Loyalty skins" is an odd phrase.  I've thrown over a hundred dollars at this game for myself or buying copies of it for others, and while I don't feel entitled to just be given free stuff, it would be VERY helpful to leave the events running or allow players to re-do them and ACTUALLY get the awards, much like other popular retention games like World of Warcraft does.

Even playing during Hallowed Nights, I recall the Pig King doling out candy, but I never got anything outside of that.  I had a server up and running during "Year of the Varg" over a month back, and to my knowledge, got nothing for it either.

So now I read about "Forge," some arena style DST version.  ...Only to find it happened around Christmas, many people had no idea about it, and many are very understandably bitter about that.  That kind of exclusion usually hurts a player fanbase, it doesn't help it.  Klei, most people play this game casually amongst friends/family on private servers because the general populace of any game tends to lend towards griefing.

For an an avid gamer in his 30s with lots of titles to choose from, I enjoy DST with friends/family.  I would love the chance to get any of these skins again, as I'm sure would a large majority of other fans of the game.  Make the events public, the events available to everyone, etc.  Finding out that there are different ACTUAL LOOKS for every character and never knowing about it, and now having no real ability to get them is rather disheartening to hear.

If I am mistaken and there are ways to do so, please elucidate.

- Strael

They did announce the event on several places.

Here on the forums

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=322330

https://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/discussions/0/1482109512306105299/

and on facebook.

I think it is strange that anyone could miss it.

The reason why it wasnt possible to play the forge on non klei servers was because of cheating, hack the server and do all kinds of stuff, maybe give the enemies 1 hp or something.

@Strael, you could also follow DST on steam, that way you'll get a notification every time Klei announces events, updates and such.

How often do you play, if I may ask? If you start DST up every week or so, you'll see if there are any updates or changes, you could also do that to avoid missing anything big. I guess you didn't log in at all during the Forge, that's why you didn't see it?

Good news are that Klei might bring back the Forge later. The devs didn't say anything concrete on this, only that if it'll be successful and people will like it, they might bring it back.

Also, big event #2 is coming soon! (We don't know what "soon" means, nothing exact is announced about, but it'll come!) This will be the next Forge-like event, so stay tuned and you can try that one ;)

I avoid all social media, I only use forums for troubleshooting as they were intended when I started online 20 years ago.

I play DST, Town of Salem, and Armello daily, or every other day through Steam.

Now that I think of it the game itself tells you if there is an event when you go to the menu.

You or anyone else playing should have seen something. In fact when the forge came the game updated and there was a new menu screen and it said "Enter the Forge".

I don't want to sound rude but if people complain about that they didn't see any announcment when several was made then no1 can help them.

+ The forge is probably going to return and there is a new big event coming, possible the forge or something else.

Well, it is recommended to use some source of news if you want to be informed ;) Afaik Klei does not send e-mail notifications on updates. And it isn't so bad to be subscribed to the DST news on steam at least. Klei won't flood you with announcements, and you'll get informed since you use steam daily anyways. I wouldn't even call steam social at all.

About the Forge, just as MrKoopa said, if you played during last november then you must have seen it on the main screen. If not, I'm sorry to hear that, but now you'll have another chance with the next event. 

Archived