Zek's Antics Reborn

Zeklo

Been meaning to do something like this for ages. It has some flaws, but I'm overall happy with it.

"The Bear" vs. "The Snake"

Most things are settled with a drinking contest, but Jack can't hold his liquor, so it's the next best thing.

mkaWMND.png

Wilhelmina, the character on the left, is Mena's character and does not belong to me.

Jack's hair isn't pure green anymore, plus here's a bonus smol Jack head:

Spoiler

C5JRTlD.png

*high-pitched, incomprehensible noises of joy*

YOU EVEN REMEMBERED HER SCARS! I FORGET HER SCARS! I love Jack's new hair too, and his expression in this picture!

I do have a question though, which one is the bear and which one is the snake, and why? I'm curious.

47 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

I do have a question though, which one is the bear and which one is the snake, and why? I'm curious.

The nicknames were a last minute decision but my interpretation is something like this:

Mina as the Bear: If I recall correctly she's blunt, loud, and can't feel pain. I believe she also wasn't afraid to drink. So the first animal to come to mind for a hearty but durable personality was a bear.  Not gonna lie I considered the honey badger for a bit, but the name was too long.

Jack as the Snake: I have the upper hand with Jack because he's my own character. My reasoning for him was his tendency to want to avoid conflict, but unafraid to engage if threatened. It was mostly for his sour personality, but also a small, sort of a stretch, reference to his only unnatural ability. To be honest, I'm realizing now his ponytail could be considered snake-like. Hah.

In all seriousness though, I was gonna leave it open-ended unless specifically asked because it could probably go either way. You could argue Mina's emotional transitions due to her past was like a snake shedding or that Jack is like a bear because he's often tired and territorial. Heh.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, Zeklo said:

The nicknames were a last minute decision but my interpretation is something like this:

Mina as the Bear: If I recall correctly she's blunt, loud, and can't feel pain. I believe she also wasn't afraid to drink. So the first animal to come to mind for a hearty but durable personality was a bear.  Not gonna lie I considered the honey badger for a bit, but the name was too long.

Jack as the Snake: I have the upper hand with Jack because he's my own character. My reasoning for him was his tendency to want to avoid conflict, but unafraid to engage if threatened. It was mostly for his sour personality, but also a small, sort of a stretch, reference to his only unnatural ability. To be honest, I'm realizing now his ponytail could be considered snake-like. Hah.

In all seriousness though, I was gonna leave it open-ended unless specifically asked because it could probably go either way. You could argue Mina's emotional transitions due to her past was like a snake shedding or that Jack is like a bear because he's often tired and territorial. Heh.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ooooh, I see! I had thought of Mina as a dog because of the hyper, enthusiastic, easily excitable parts of her behavior, but bear works for the reasons you listed too! 

About time for some new faces eh? Concept sketches.

Left & right chars are old as hek—the oldest shown so far. Finally decided to rework and concept them. Middle is recent.

6nIzRDz.png

This was mostly to get some basic hair & clothes down. Pretty darn close to how I imagined em—minus some important details which we wouldn't want to spoil, yet.

On 2/5/2018 at 10:11 PM, minespatch said:

So for a fantasy series you're working on?

Ironically, my most developed world—this fantasy one—isn't really planned for any games, stories, or anything.

At one point the two characters I mentioned (left & right) were planned for the first ever book I wanted to write (when I wanted to write), along with plenty more faces. Thing is, a lot of the ideas I had as a kid were meh and cliche. Most notably the main characters—which I very much would like to rework, but they're so standard it's nigh impossible.

The second thing is about cliches in a fantasy setting to begin with. I'm not fond of the "dwarves, elves, and orcs" thing. 

"But Zek you literally have an elf right there!"

Not quite. They're actually a fairy. I tend to draw the ears more horizontal than when, I rarely, draw an elf. So while I don't like some things from typical fantasy, I do like some, however I do try to put a new spin onto things. Currently fairies aren't too different (visually) and are in need of some extra twists, but a couple of the oddities are: They're human-sized. They're "synthetic", and not naturally occurring. They have no wings? No they do, it's just weird. Mischievous? Nah, easily susceptible to insanity. Etc.

Now that said, I'm completely guilty of another typical fantasy thing—dragons. I'm sorry but they're awesome, so I'm not planning to leave them out. They're a bit different too of course.

This turned into a longer rant then intended o-o'. Well you get the gist. 

15 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Thing is, a lot of the ideas I had as a kid were meh and cliche. Most notably the main characters—which I very much would like to rework,

I had that same problem with my childhood OCs. Luckily they're becoming more fleshed out now but still.

15 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Now that said, I'm completely guilty of another typical fantasy thing—dragons. I'm sorry but they're awesome, so I'm not planning to leave them out. They're a bit different too of course.

That's cos dragons are awesome and a must have! ^_^ Though I'd love to hear how you've changed them for your story :)

3 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Though I'd love to hear how you've changed them for your story :)

Basically they're non-organic and born from mountains (at least the original four). The original dragons were near god-tier. This world has something currently dubbed "aspects". A "god" have seven. A dragon has six. The reason they hoard gold and treasure and stuff is because they eat metal. A baby dragon's scales will be dull rock, but as they grow—and by extension eat metal—their scales will become shiny and sturdy, undergoing a type of "forging" only possible by a dragon's core (heart). It's critical for a dragon's health to consume strong metals or they'll grow up weak and sickly. They have molten blood which cools upon death—which could be poured into molds if one acts quickly enough. Etc. That's the basics.

I swear, Zek, seeing your art makes me want to actually take my drawing pad out again and keep trying at making my story a reality.

Unfortunately, my proportions and general anatomy still suck right now ;~;

Just now, Rjazz said:

I swear, Zek, seeing your art makes me want to actually take my drawing pad out again and keep trying at making my story a reality.

Absolutely do it. You might regret it in the short-term, but it's totally worth practicing.

1 hour ago, Rjazz said:

Do it! DO IT! Art is a skill, and skills you can improve through practice and learning. If you aren't happy with your proportions and anatomy, you aren't going to get any better by not drawing. PICK UP THAT PENCIL/DRAWING TABLET AND GO!

Archived