Klei Should Have a Character Update

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Wow. Elementary school mockery. Didn't see that coming. It's kinda hard to take anyone seriously after something like this.

If you'd stop obsessing over Webber for one moment you'd see that other characters actually need some changes. Sure, Webber could likely use some kind of buff, but other characters kinda need it more them him right now. Try using Maxwell to see how useless his duelists are. Try using Willow to see how useless her lighter is. Try using Woodie and seeing how bad the werebeaver has become.

I didn't say nothing about willow or woodie.... Cause in game something needs to give for woodie and willow....

20 hours ago, Auth said:

If anyone needs to be a healer, it should be Wes.

Now I know all the jokes of Wes is OP or Wes is UP or whatever, but the point is always the same,

Wes is a leech on teams. He consumes more of everything and produces nothing of any value whatsoever to the team other than silly shenanigans.

That's why I made the idea long ago that Wes could be a healer of sorts. Maybe Wes can make healing balloons that everybody but Wes can use, so it maintains the fact he's still a difficult character to play as with no personal benefits, but at least he won't be sucking the life force out of a group of people just by merely existing. 

Other characters need changes, and honestly, instead of doing what everyone thinks which is "Buff characters to be on par with others" I'm personally a huge fan of nerfing characters until they fit other ones (But of course, fixing characters that are already boring and not fun to play as)

I liked playing Don't Starve with the constant fear of Everything is trying to kill you, not You are trying to kill everything.

Mhhh I kinda see ur point but at the same time, like others said, Wes is supposed to be the "hard mode" character for people who want a challenge? It's not neccesearly a "leech", on the contrary, since mostly experienced players pick him,, I have yet to find a Wes in-game who ever needed to rely on others to stay alive ahaha.

But that's besides the point, it's true that Wes himself doesn't bring anything useful to the team, all I can think of is the balloons to farm nightmare fuel.

It would be good if Klei gave him something that helped others but didn't change the hard gameplay. Healer doesn't make much sense to his character (if at all) but maybe, just maybe, a sanity aura?

It wouldn't affect him but, players around him would benefit from staying close to him, kinda like befriended pigs (except the Wes player won't run away from them, unless he's a jerk ahaha).

It makes sense that a funny clown-type character that makes people laugh would have a good effect on his friends' mental health.

6 hours ago, Memime said:

It would be good if Klei gave him something that helped others but didn't change the hard gameplay. Healer doesn't make much sense to his character (if at all) but maybe, just maybe, a sanity aura?

It wouldn't affect him but, players around him would benefit from staying close to him, kinda like befriended pigs (except the Wes player won't run away from them, unless he's a jerk ahaha).

It makes sense that a funny clown-type character that makes people laugh would have a good effect on his friends' mental health.

It would be kinda neat if other characters could pull the balloons out of the air and use them as a hand slot sanity regen item. There's not very many of those. It would also be amusing watching certain characters just run around while holding one. Imagine a Valkyrie warrior, a grumpy old man, a mighty strongman, or a death obsessed child just running around with a shiny balloon. Maybe if Wes himself was holding one he could get that sanity aura that works on everyone else.

Although I do think you're on the right track with reworking balloonomancy so it can benefit other characters. Should be fun seeing other ideas on this.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:14 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

It would be kinda neat if other characters could pull the balloons out of the air and use them as a hand slot sanity regen item. There's not very many of those. It would also be amusing watching certain characters just run around while holding one. Imagine a Valkyrie warrior, a grumpy old man, a mighty strongman, or a death obsessed child just running around with a shiny balloon. Maybe if Wes himself was holding one he could get that sanity aura that works on everyone else.

Although I do think you're on the right track with reworking balloonomancy so it can benefit other characters. Should be fun seeing other ideas on this.

Well then in that case maybe we should also give Wilson something to help the team (albeit it has to do with his beard).

Right now the only thing his beard does is give him a buff of insulation (which is a lot) and also beard hair. However beard hair isn't all that useful other than for meat effigies and MAYBE bernie.

Either give something to Wilson or just make beard hair more useful.

18 minutes ago, GMDApple said:

Well then in that case maybe we should also give Wilson something to help the team (albeit it has to do with his beard).

Right now the only thing his beard does is give him a buff of insulation (which is a lot) and also beard hair. However beard hair isn't all that useful other than for meat effigies and MAYBE bernie.

Either give something to Wilson or just make beard hair more useful.

If you do the math it’s also a pitiful amount of beard hair.  You spend most of fall growing the beard and use it for insulation all winter.  That means that almost 5 hours into the game his beard produces 10 beard hair.  Spring you can grow it out and get another 9, and you’d be hard pressed to get more than 22 in an entire 9 hour and 20 minute year.

1 hour ago, Toros said:

If you do the math it’s also a pitiful amount of beard hair.  You spend most of fall growing the beard and use it for insulation all winter.  That means that almost 5 hours into the game his beard produces 10 beard hair.  Spring you can grow it out and get another 9, and you’d be hard pressed to get more than 22 in an entire 9 hour and 20 minute year.

I'd say perhaps tune the beard economy to 3, 6, 9, instead of 1, 3, 6, which I believe it is now.

Besides beard hair (which is pointless late game, c'mon now), Wilson is genuinely a bland character. Why do I main him? I like his personality and the lore behind him. Yeah, he needs a revision. Badly. Willow, Woodie, Winona, Max, and Wilson are the 5 that need examination because they all have pretty large flaws. 

Willow: The lighter is important, make it last a hell of a lot longer or make it infinite. Anything else added to the lighter is a bit unnecessary due to people rarely using it after Day 10. Fire resistance is a must. I mean. C'mon. This one is obvious.

Woodie: The Beaver needs to be sated somehow. Wood amulet like someone suggested above is a great idea! Also, going into Werebeaver mode shouldn't absolutely murder your sanity.

Winonasigh She's a mechanic. An engineer. A factory worker. She has duct tape. What? Seriously that is just lame. Like KoS has stated many times before, give her the ability to use Clockworks to her advantage. Let her make her own versions. If the duct tape seriously has to stay, make it so you can fix anything with it. 

Max: Not gonna talk much on Max, fix the Puppet's AI and we should be good to go.

Wilson: Just because he's the starter character doesn't mean he has to suck royally (For the OW crowd, S:76 is the starter *tutorial character* but he isn't heinous, is he?). In the Forge he rezzed people, he has to have some kind of medical knowledge tucked away in his head. Maybe make him have some healing stuff, I dunno. Conceptually, Wicker does everything better. Science Machine recipes unlocked from the get-go and reading books of power. Since Max can read her books as well, I think it's best we move away from book reading for a 3rd character. Give Wilson a better beard growth rate, first off. AND, give Wilson new items to craft. He's a reclusive scientist who failed at basically everything so he's smart but not a genius like he says (arrogance is his key trait). So, let him make some weird hodge podge machines (the first portal was made by him and Max, everyone forgets that it was Wilson who had blueprints for the creation but Max had the resources) and creations that push the boundaries of sane science. (I mean, he made it to the throne and spent some time on it, he had to have learned... something...)

TL;DR: Revamp these 5 characters and DST would be so much better and diverse. I'm sick of seeing the same team in every d a r n server.

47 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Winona:  An engineer.

Except, no, she's not. Looking at the leaked speech files compared to the official ones, any reference to engineering has been replaced. I thought that would be enough to put the "Winona = Engineer" thing to rest already.

Seeing as her starting item is duct tape, and she's a factory worker, she was likely a maintenance worker. So a mechanic is a maybe, but engineer seems extraordinarily unlikely.

30 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Except, no, she's not. Looking at the leaked speech files compared to the official ones, any reference to engineering has been replaced. I thought that would be enough to put the "Winona = Engineer" thing to rest already.

Seeing as her starting item is duct tape, and she's a factory worker, she was likely a maintenance worker. So a mechanic is a maybe, but engineer seems extraordinarily unlikely.

I guess I always assumed she was. Didn't know they replaced the strings... I wonder why,,,

On 12/28/2017 at 4:16 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

*cough cough* duelist puppets *cough cough*

QUICK! Lets run at the thing that's preforming it's attack!

I think of WIlson as a guy who want's to know everything, and as such came up with this idea.

Wilson has a little black notebook, that he uses to record crafting recipes, and can craft all the recipes he has recorded.

That sounds pretty useful, eh?

1 hour ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Besides beard hair (which is pointless late game, c'mon now), Wilson is genuinely a bland character. Why do I main him? I like his personality and the lore behind him. Yeah, he needs a revision. Badly. Willow, Woodie, Winona, Max, and Wilson are the 5 that need examination because they all have pretty large flaws. 

Willow: The lighter is important, make it last a hell of a lot longer or make it infinite. Anything else added to the lighter is a bit unnecessary due to people rarely using it after Day 10. Fire resistance is a must. I mean. C'mon. This one is obvious.

The lighter is important, yes! Make it usable only by Willow. Let it recharge / regenerate fuel automatically; this way, it would be both infinite and finite, making it worthwhile to carry around (if it would give off a stronger light when its fuel level is closest to maximum and fully regenerate over 2-3 days, it would be an incentive to carry it around and only use it from time to time while making it impossible to constantly abuse as a light source since it would only last for max x minutes at the time). If Willow loses her lighter or crafts another one, make the previous one turn into ash (much like Lucy turns into another item).

Thank heavens that Klei finally adjusted Willow's freezing while insane mechanic, although it feels really silly when wetness is mounting and sanity is dropping, since at a certain point it is extremely confusing whether the freezing that follows comes from the wetness, insanity, and/or ambient temperature.

Still, another revision to Willow is welcome. Willow was changed quite a bit from Don't Starve but it was mostly in the lackluster direction.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:38 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I disagree. He's the vanilla character. He shouldn't have any special powers.

The Werebeaver needs to be made useful again IMO.

Problem with Willow are two three:

- Get rid of the freezing insanity thing, because it makes no sense.

- Make her immune to fire.

- Forget about her lighter. It's worthless. You can't make it permanent, because in a multiplayer environment that gets abused to hell and results in no one ever having to make a Torch ever again.

*Looks at this comment...Looks at Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege...Looks at this comments...Looks at Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege which have over 20 characters and are all incredible...*

Because he's the vanilla character. He's the character you try first. So that's why he shouldn't have any added on mechanics.

tenor.gif

Yes, just yes.

What good is Wendy without her flower?

Well, this is the part where I'd usually say, "These are some really good suggestions!  Hopefully, Klei might be interested in them, and we might hear feedback soon!".  And, maybe a person at Klei might show up, but what usually happens is that nothing ever occurs of it.  These are some lovely suggestions for character adjustments to make the game more fun, but I'd love Klei to actually interact with us on the subject.  Unfortunately, I doubt if that'll actually ever happen.  I mean, it's not even hard to program, a modder can make the adjustments no-time flat, but I feel we shouldn't need those mods in the first place.  Klei's really never talked to us about making character adjustments, though some feedback did make it in back during the addition of some characters (Werebeaver did get insulation and 25% dmg reduction), but eventually some characters fell short.  Willow and Woodie feel like major victims in this situation, and a lot of people has expressed distaste in their current state.  What I'd love more than anything is for Klei to just maybe act on it, or even have an official topic to see what people think on some things.  That's all.

4 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

What I'd love more than anything is for Klei to just maybe act on it, or even have an official topic to see what people think on some things.  That's all.

We've been so starved for actual interaction regarding the mechanics of the game, just a response would make me happy. Heck, I'd be happy just knowing I've been "blue-ticked" at this point...

):

I just realized something. We're so busy talking about characters in need of a buff, but no one has said much about those in need a nerf. I hear lots of people say Wickerbottom, Wolfgang and WX need a nerf, but never hear many actual suggestions on the subject.

So how would we go about nerfing these characters, but making it so they play (mostly) the same?

5 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I just realized something. We're so busy talking about characters in need of a buff, but no one has said much about those in need a nerf. I hear lots of people say Wickerbottom, Wolfgang and WX need a nerf, but never hear many actual suggestions on the subject.

So how would we go about nerfing these characters, but making it so they play (mostly) the same?

Personally i'll say Wigfrid... Maybe Wx...

Everytime I give a Woodie pinecones and plantable stuff... I get a instant friend lol

Archived