Klei Should Have a Character Update

@GMDApple I find the ice staff to be fairly helpful actually. But mostly as an agro tool. You can agro kolafants and such, and if you freeze a treeguard it'll lose agro when it breaks free. It also has added utility of being able to extinguish fires. I've also used it plenty of times on deerclops so I have time to deal with the shadows.

Although I agree the fire staff needs a buff. I recently found out you can use it to light firepits, but you can only do so while it's unlit, and it gives barely any fuel to the fire. I could see some added utility by giving the staff a higher fuel value, and allowing it to add additional fuel. Could possibly be useful for fueling a lot of flingos if you happen to have an abundant amount of red gems.

I've been trying to entertain this idea but what if the Fire Staff fire didn't spread flames when you ignited your target? If it had the properties of being a magically controlled fire it could be more of a DPS tool as we wouldn't have to worry about incinerating entire biomes when we attack a mob with it. I know it does have a few decent uses but as it is now it is basically a ranged torch.

Also in regards to Ice Staff, I agree with every point Sinister made, it is a great agro tool / extinguisher. These reasons alone make me feel it is balanced, although I can see how others would think it might be lackluster.

1 hour ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

I've been trying to entertain this idea but what if the Fire Staff fire didn't spread flames when you ignited your target? If it had the properties of being a magically controlled fire it could be more of a DPS tool as we wouldn't have to worry about incinerating entire biomes when we attack a mob with it. I know it does have a few decent uses but as it is now it is basically a ranged torch.

That would actually be really neat. It could function as a ranged weapon, but because the damage varies a little, and it uses fire damage, it wouldn't be a good idea to rely on using it exclusively. I'd maybe bump up the sanity cost slightly though.

I think a good change to Willow would be to actually make her STRONG in Winter. Currently if anything she is in a disadvantage in Winter since she will freeze when insane. Make her lighter give a bit of warmth or anything like that and remove the dumb freezing when insane thing.

She could also maybe have perks in Summer like overheating less quickly but yeah.

32 minutes ago, TwistedPoro said:

and remove the dumb freezing when insane thing.

If you think about it, that's a reworking of her lighting fires when insane back in DS. In DST they made it so you need to actually light the fires yourself (by freezing) instead of them starting on their own. That way Willow isn't a burden to have around cause she could accidentally end up burning down everything that everyone else worked hard to make. With the need to light the fires manually it's a bit safer (if they're careful).

Honestly, I just think her lighter needs a slight buff of some sort and her fire immunity back, then she might be worth using. But let's be honest, she never did offer much back in DS anyway. At least now she can make Bernie, something that can assist everyone with farming nightmare fuel.

What if willow can also create a controlled fire with her lighter? Like a fire that doesn't spread. That would help her a lot as she doesn't need to worry about burning anything else as long as she's burning with her lighter.

12 hours ago, GMDApple said:

What if willow can also create a controlled fire with her lighter? Like a fire that doesn't spread. That would help her a lot as she doesn't need to worry about burning anything else as long as she's burning with her lighter.

Nice idea, but I'm against it. It's against the nature of fire! Willow is about control her fire perk (at least in her DS reincarnation), which is easier in DST. Fire is the most destructive element AGAINST the players, I would like to have high risk/high reward relation, even that noobs can stay save near a camp fire with Willow all night. I would also like to make small fires manually from the inventory items without the lighter.

How about a living torch Willow with increased mobility and lower attack period (so we don't need to copy Wolf):o? Come on Klei, making fire was the most important invention humanity could make, but why is WIllow so under average x)?

23 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

If you think about it, that's a reworking of her lighting fires when insane back in DS. In DST they made it so you need to actually light the fires yourself (by freezing) instead of them starting on their own. That way Willow isn't a burden to have around cause she could accidentally end up burning down everything that everyone else worked hard to make. With the need to light the fires manually it's a bit safer (if they're careful).

Honestly, I just think her lighter needs a slight buff of some sort and her fire immunity back, then she might be worth using. But let's be honest, she never did offer much back in DS anyway. At least now she can make Bernie, something that can assist everyone with farming nightmare fuel.

I actually coded but didn’t publish a mod where Willow’s lighter has some of the same code as Lucy does.

The lighter is:

1) Infinite

2) Poofs into her hand when she equips a torch

3) Unable to be picked up by anyone else

4) Has a torch’s light radius

5) Decays into a torch (the same way lucy decays into an axe)

Giving her fire immunity is a pretty minor tweak but I was in the process of trying to figure out some other cool perk for her when I simply let the mod sit on my PC unpublished.  I do think that having her lighter be similar in function to Lucy is a better way to implement it.

4 hours ago, Toros said:

I actually coded but didn’t publish a mod where Willow’s lighter has some of the same code as Lucy does.

The lighter is:

1) Infinite

2) Poofs into her hand when she equips a torch

3) Unable to be picked up by anyone else

4) Has a torch’s light radius

5) Decays into a torch (the same way lucy decays into an axe)

Giving her fire immunity is a pretty minor tweak but I was in the process of trying to figure out some other cool perk for her when I simply let the mod sit on my PC unpublished.  I do think that having her lighter be similar in function to Lucy is a better way to implement it.

I think it should still be usable by other players so she has more to offer a team then just Bernie. Although if being used by someone other then Willow it should likely lose durability. Not sure how difficult that might be to do though. Just my two cents though.

I think that Webber players (I'm not one of them) are kind of screwed cuz they can't use Bunnyman/Pigman farms. I think Klei should add some sort of hat that could make Pigs/Bunnyman treat Webber like every other character. As long as he has hat on he can befriend them and use them but when he takes hat off/durability reaches 0% they are aggresive again.

I really want Willow get back to immune to fire damge. keep overheating damage and need more fast to freezing while insane. i miss his perk so much.

Wolfgang's Perk Con is not enough. but i get idea to insanity rebalance: Wimpy Form 50% or 40% insanity (face look starving, weak and scared), Regular Form 20% insanity, Mighty Form: not increased insanity.

Just these my ideas. Sorry for new post again.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:43 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

That's a start. Personally I'd tweak the AI just a bit. I'd make it so that duelists don't agro on anything that attacks Maxwell first. They would only engage in combat when Maxwell hits something first. This way if you're trying to ignore some enemies they won't go and cause problems for you (such as hitting a spider close to a nest and getting a group of warrior spiders to chase you). Another change I would make would be to have duelists lose agro if Maxwell dosen't attack anything within 1-2 seconds. This way the player would need to actually engage in combat instead of relying on them exclusively. And lastly, when duelists attack, they don't draw agro. This means they're extra dps, not a wall/distraction like Abigail is. It also helps with kiting. Kiting can sometimes get tricky when you lose agro and they focus on something else.

Lolol...all this and Webber can't have a slight upgrade? Lololol

4 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

Wickerbottom knows how to craft science items that require science machine while Wilson don't == Wickerbottom is the scientist & Wilson is just the beard guy.

Science or magic?

A new character wouldn't hurt...

5 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

Wickerbottom knows how to craft science items that require science machine while Wilson don't == Wickerbottom is the scientist & Wilson is just the beard guy.

I wouldn't call the items, she can craft from beginning, science items. She just read a lot, so she knows how to make a shovel or a backpack. These are more things for pathfinder. But a scientist doesn't have to know everything, more the science things. Wilson is like the main charakter, at least he has build the portal and was the first that got into this wired world, so the Science Machine must have been invented by him. So why everybody is thinking he isn't a scientist? Because anybody else can craft the science machine too, because it is a needed mechanic in the game? I mean, he didn't have to be a great scientest, but why he shouldn't invent and build science things, others can't? I mean, I don't think all the other charakters can't read, so why only Wickerbottom (and Maxwell) can use her books? And on the other side, why everybody can craft and handle with a science machine, even a little girl? Is everybody a scientist?

If anyone needs to be a healer, it should be Wes.

Now I know all the jokes of Wes is OP or Wes is UP or whatever, but the point is always the same,

Wes is a leech on teams. He consumes more of everything and produces nothing of any value whatsoever to the team other than silly shenanigans.

That's why I made the idea long ago that Wes could be a healer of sorts. Maybe Wes can make healing balloons that everybody but Wes can use, so it maintains the fact he's still a difficult character to play as with no personal benefits, but at least he won't be sucking the life force out of a group of people just by merely existing. 

Other characters need changes, and honestly, instead of doing what everyone thinks which is "Buff characters to be on par with others" I'm personally a huge fan of nerfing characters until they fit other ones (But of course, fixing characters that are already boring and not fun to play as)

I liked playing Don't Starve with the constant fear of Everything is trying to kill you, not You are trying to kill everything.

57 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

And on the other side, why everybody can craft and handle with a science machine, even a little girl? Is everybody a scientist?

Obiously everyone is a scientist, but Wolfgang is the bestest scientist because he have the muscles and muscles is make you better science do.

2 hours ago, Queron81 said:

I wouldn't call the items, she can craft from beginning, science items. She just read a lot, so she knows how to make a shovel or a backpack. These are more things for pathfinder. But a scientist doesn't have to know everything, more the science things. Wilson is like the main charakter, at least he has build the portal and was the first that got into this wired world, so the Science Machine must have been invented by him. So why everybody is thinking he isn't a scientist? Because anybody else can craft the science machine too, because it is a needed mechanic in the game? I mean, he didn't have to be a great scientest, but why he shouldn't invent and build science things, others can't? I mean, I don't think all the other charakters can't read, so why only Wickerbottom (and Maxwell) can use her books? And on the other side, why everybody can craft and handle with a science machine, even a little girl? Is everybody a scientist?

Not only can Wickerbottom craft everything possible with a science machine from the start, she can craft everything that requires an alchemy engine with just a science machine.  In both her quotes and mechanics she's the most knowledgeable and studied of all the characters, with Maxwell being a close second.  As far as the portals go, Wilson never created anything on his own, he always was either given the knowledge by Maxwell (via radio) or assisted Maxwell in building the jury-rigged portal.

Somewhere in that word salad I think you might be suggesting that Wilson be given some unique crafting options, which I would agree with.  If not then I'm sorry for giving you the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, Auth said:

If anyone needs to be a healer, it should be Wes.

Now I know all the jokes of Wes is OP or Wes is UP or whatever, but the point is always the same,

1) Wes is a leech on teams. He consumes more of everything and produces nothing of any value whatsoever to the team other than silly shenanigans.

2) That's why I made the idea long ago that Wes could be a healer of sorts. Maybe Wes can make healing balloons that everybody but Wes can use, so it maintains the fact he's still a difficult character to play as with no personal benefits, but at least he won't be sucking the life force out of a group of people just by merely existing. 

3) Other characters need changes, and honestly, instead of doing what everyone thinks which is "Buff characters to be on par with others" I'm personally a huge fan of nerfing characters until they fit other ones (But of course, fixing characters that are already boring and not fun to play as)

4) I liked playing Don't Starve with the constant fear of Everything is trying to kill you, not You are trying to kill everything.

There's a lot here, so I'm going to address the points one at a time.

1) In the hands of a moderately skilled player Wes is not a "leech on teams" because overproducing food is trivially easy and there's no challenge that requires more mechanical strength than Wes possesses.  The game just isn't that hard.

2) I'm not exactly opposed to this idea, but Wes was designed to be a challenge character so I don't see where buffs make sense or why he would be arbitrarily given healing abilities.

3) Buffing everyone up to Wolfgang/Wickerbottom/Wx levels would be absurd, so nerfing those and buffing some of the weaker ones is something I would support.

4) That was never the case for a player that wasn't entirely new, and even new players could just kite enemies into pigs/beefalo/pengulls to fight their battles.  Unless a player is frankly terrible at basic strategy (keeping resources for light on hand, building weapons and armor before dogs attack) then there was never a phase where they should be feeling "everything is trying to kill me."

9 hours ago, JustinMark309 said:

Lolol...all this and Webber can't have a slight upgrade? Lololol

Everything about Webber works as intended though. Shadow duelists are just so bad they might as well not even exist. Heck, Webber with a few spiders are likely better then Maxwell with a pair of duelists.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Everything about Webber works as intended though. Shadow duelists are just so bad they might as well not even exist. Heck, Webber with a few spiders are likely better then Maxwell with a pair of duelists.

Everything about Maxwell works as intended though. Dens are just so bad they might as well not even exist. Heck, Maxwell with a few shadow duelists are likely better then Webber with a den

4 hours ago, JustinMark309 said:

Everything about Maxwell works as intended though. Dens are just so bad they might as well not even exist. Heck, Maxwell with a few shadow duelists are likely better then Webber with a den

you dont need to mock someone for giving a reason why he wants maxwell to get buffed.

and dens are absurdly useful for farming with webber, he can overproduce food nonstop with the stacks of monster meat he can get every single night, and not having to worry about silk and glands (therefore revivals and health) is a nice touch too.

8 hours ago, JustinMark309 said:

Wow. Elementary school mockery. Didn't see that coming. It's kinda hard to take anyone seriously after something like this.

If you'd stop obsessing over Webber for one moment you'd see that other characters actually need some changes. Sure, Webber could likely use some kind of buff, but other characters kinda need it more them him right now. Try using Maxwell to see how useless his duelists are. Try using Willow to see how useless her lighter is. Try using Woodie and seeing how bad the werebeaver has become.

Archived