Tubular Upgrade Preview (And Holiday Break!)

Just now, midjones said:

Guys I just noticed an animal trap for catching airborne animals!!

image.png.b3a3e1fc77814f849c41a6c825c54ca4.png

Was in last update (and is a lure not a catch)

1 hour ago, bzgzd said:

I think those tubes are more like stackable 1x1 building and not background. You can't use them behind other buildings.

To me it seems like a pretty good (100%) air lock after several cycles. (when they fix that constant power drain)

TEqDJKl.png

Not if Saturnuis is right and they transmit gas

Edited by chemie

@bzgzd Set up two stations and have him keep running back and forth and see if it's a solid seal then.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

Does the bottom one provide a gas seal?  I assume not since it is a background tile item

OK.  so not a replacement to airlocks...and melt at high temps...so not for hot areas....is there a use scenario then (other than....wee these are cool)?

High speed long distance point to point travel?

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

They're plastic so yeah... 76C and they're naphtha. 

Which you incidentally can't use for airlock any more as they ninja fixed naphtha stacking properties. Gas locks also don't work any more.   

Even the gas locks over here? 

Edited by TheScaryOne

On 12/8/2017 at 5:55 AM, SamLogan said:

The tubular transport is really fun but now it's a pain to use it correctly :

- Hard to know if we can land where the tube ends.

- Hard to do some turns.

- Need a special overlay for it, to check if the path is correct.

- The station working is not enough clear, need a identified port to connect the tube.

A little disappointed that the patch brings so little new, but hey it's already not bad. Personally, I was expecting an improvement of the automation system to make it more useful.

I completely agree with this.. Maybe while doing this, maybe the devs should tweak and add  a few (or remove a few) things for the automation. Automation RN isn't actually a necessity (like Tubular upgrade) but there should be at least is a few scenarios where people should use them... Fire Poles and Plastic Ladders are like tubes but manual and a bit slower. Not to mention, plastic production is kinda hard to maintain.

Edited by OfficialLolicon
Grammar Nazing

I am mildly disappointed, but it's not a big deal.  I was hoping the devs would flesh out some quality of life fixes.  Like I shouldn't need 3 grills to cook 3 different things.  There are some more sensors that would be nice for automation too, battery level, liquid pipe flow detector, gas type detector, etc.  It'd be nice if there were more biomes, the lava biome were less ridiculously huge, there was a reason to explore top to bottom besides finding your geysers.  I wish there was a reason to use lights and showers.  Having to balance the heat and polluted water is a good thing, adds to the challenges to solve.

There's always next time.  Back to freezing the slime biome for ****s

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alpe12 said:

1 of that hydrogen devices that can be found in the ice biome can keep 2 polymer press running if the pipes are isolated.

Sometimes, there are worlds where one doesn't spawn actually... Also, I tend to put other overheating buildings over there. If that's one of the many ways to manage polymer press easily and moderately resource consuming, then I guess there's no other choice.

I'm gonna spam Tempshift plates, they'll eat up core because of calculations for temperature I think..

16 hours ago, donutman07 said:

I was hoping the devs would flesh out some quality of life fixes.  Like I shouldn't need 3 grills to cook 3 different things. There are some more sensors that would be nice for automation too, battery level, liquid pipe flow detector, gas type detector, etc.  It'd be nice if there were more biomes, the lava biome were less ridiculously huge, there was a reason to explore top to bottom besides finding your geysers.  I wish there was a reason to use lights and showers.  Having to balance the heat and polluted water is a good thing, adds to the challenges to solve.

I wish cooking buildings would skip a looped recipe if their isn't any resources for it and proceed to the next one, and only got back to the first when recipes are makable again, that would be efficient and easier, rather than having 3 Microbe Mushers and 2 Cooking Stations which is too much power consuming. I heavily agree with more automation updates too (and I always agree to those ideas actually) since automation, once again, seems dull as of the moment... Biomes? I agree with that, but the world should be bigger then, but meh, It's gonna effect performance.

Lights and Showers have a pretty slim effect. Why build lights that produce heat when you can just spam decor anyway? I kinda always hate the question... Why build a shower that removes a almost non-existant debuff? All those kinda useless RN.

Besides that actually guys, I'm still happy about the performance improvement for it, which one of the biggest headaches for ONI. If were gonna get that (and we shall), maybe this 4 week update is satisfying then, until we ran out of ideas again :D

(This so long... This is me expressing ideas, sorry)

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

They're plastic so yeah... 76C and they're naphtha. 

Which you incidentally can't use for airlock any more as they ninja fixed naphtha stacking properties. Gas locks also don't work any more.   

That is a huge bummer. It's not like it added something that you can't do with a regular liquid lock, It just looked way cooler and was more compact.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alpe12 said:

1 of that hydrogen devices that can be found in the ice biome can keep 2 polymer press running if the pipes are isolated.

They generally can keep cool enough in 3kg of CO2 and the water they product from steam, mines never go above 70 been running for well over 100 cycles now and the highest they got to was 71 degrees

7 hours ago, donutman07 said:

I am mildly disappointed, but it's not a big deal.  I was hoping the devs would flesh out some quality of life fixes.  Like I shouldn't need 3 grills to cook 3 different things.  There are some more sensors that would be nice for automation too, battery level, liquid pipe flow detector, gas type detector, etc.  It'd be nice if there were more biomes, the lava biome were less ridiculously huge, there was a reason to explore top to bottom besides finding your geysers.  I wish there was a reason to use lights and showers.  Having to balance the heat and polluted water is a good thing, adds to the challenges to solve.

There's always next time.  Back to freezing the slime biome for ****s

This update was primarily for optimisations from what we were told, so I think they wanted to add some content as well. so for me the tubes were just a bonus, whether the optimisations pull through hats what I am more interested in.

I am super keen for a new biome. 

QOL and performance enhancements

• Please be aware that game performance in testing may be reduced as we prepare to make major improvements for release. While your game may run worse during the Open Testing period, this is because we are gathering the information we need to make it better, and are happy to take any bug reports or feedback on performance issues you may have during this time. Thanks!

Unfortunately, the performance has become noticeably worse. My 50+ Dupes bases ran before the update with 20+ frames and were still playable.

Now a base with 40+ Dupes is a lag party with 3-10 frames. It takes a lot of time to load the save file and the game froze for a few seconds during daily autosaving.

My CPU (i7-4600), GPU(onlyGTX 970), RAM (32 GB) and hard drive(M.2) idle. Strangely, the performance does not deteriorate. ONI also retains the performance if I start Civ VI or Total War: Warhammer. This games can be started parallel without having a performance loss at ONI. It is consistently bad.

How can I best give feedback? Which benchmarks are needed etc?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Gas locks also don't work any more.

Are you sure? Are you saying that gases mix vertically now? Are we understanding gas lock differently?

12 hours ago, bzgzd said:

Just note that gases do travel through tubes and tube crossings... just really slowly

I can't say I can reproduce that. Do you have any pic/vid/save/code to show that's the case?

Edited by Grimgaw

I am not really happy with this update, because i am a "no devmode user" so far.
I have three options now:
Entering devmode and loosing interest in the game (i know me)
Waiting for the next update, before starting a base from scratch
Grind the game again, to the point to build those tubes, i don't really need(ed)

Sure nice toy, like turbo elevators, but we had firepoles before, i did not use them too, because setup(oneway) was not worth the work/result.
When the poles would be oneway/down it would be ok.
The tubes are now like a manpowered conveyor belt and could be used later as material /in/output transportservices, without dupe riding down the tube.
I wait for next update..
Edit: after reading all the comments, this feels like a downgrade, not an update.

Edited by Oozinator

Bug: Gas does not always combine properly at intersections like before. After observing for a while it appears this happens about 1 out of every 3-4 movements. This can cause significant loss of throughput since one out of every 4 blocks in a pipe section will be filled with a low amount of gas. I have not noticed the same happen with liquid, but I haven't tested it.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I am not really happy with this update, because i am a "no devmode user" so far.
Grind the game again, to the point to build those tubes, i don't really need(ed)

Sure nice toy, like turbo elevators, but we had firepoles before, i did not use them too, because setup(oneway) was not worth the work/result.
The tubes are now like a manpowered conveyor belt and could be used later as material /in/output transportservices, without dupe riding down the tube.
I wait for next update..
Edit: after reading all the comments, this feels like a downgrade, not an update.

I like the tubes a lot as well as the poles! It's fun to see how the dupes are using them and they are efficient. It makes me think about logistics and spacing and it is just fun to play around with these things. Not everything needs to be complicated to be fun!

The only reason I'am a bit bummed out is that they fixed naphtha vertical stacking. I love that mechanic because it is so out of whack and lets you do things in a funky way, even if it is a bug. There are tons of games out there that live from bugs/exploits. The best example is always Starcraft, which is still played competitively after 20years. Bugs like air unit stacking, drone drilling and pathing bugs etc. are used by the players to their advantage, increase the skill ceiling and make the game deeper and more fun. As a programmer myself I understand in a way that you don't want to leave bugs in your game, but sometimes you should just be happy that you accentally made the game better by introducing a bug.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I wait for next update..

Agree.  Tubes appear useless or at least very niche.  Ice sculptures offer no benefits and and significant drawbacks to stone.  A new berry recipe but berries are broken.  To feed a colony takes more water than the 2 geysers can supply and power needed to cool that water is huge.  An antientropy device can only cool enough 85c water for 1 or 2 dups (5 plants)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

I like the tubes a lot as well as the poles! It's fun to see how the dupes are using them and they are efficient.

Fun to see, yes, but that's all. For the firepole you have to create an entrance area, where you split traffic up/down /permissions/doors, or are dupes no longer climbing up the poles?
When you build a base and reach cycle 1000/2000, without touching devmode, dupes have so high agility, that nothing of that is needed, when base is well planned.

1 hour ago, chemie said:

Agree.  Tubes appear useless or at least very niche.  Ice sculptures offer no benefits and and significant drawbacks to stone.  A new berry recipe but berries are broken.  To feed a colony takes more water than the 2 geysers can supply and power needed to cool that water is huge.  An antientropy device can only cool enough 85c water for 1 or 2 dups (5 plants)

That's what i don't understand with this update. AU is implemented halfhearted so far. Food is still broken (maelwood for the win) and now next thing is added, with some potential. We asked for more different artworks, or an option to integrate own pictures and now i get an icesculpture i never use. Fuzzy suits and exos is all what is needed and some massage tables for crisis. I use only outhouses and no showers, because they are useless too..Like the nice handlickerthing (forgot the name/bleachstonething) or refrigators and some other stuff.
Research is really bad now, only more timeconsuming then before. That techtree unfolds bad for me. There are dazillion games, which make research/upgrade mechanics more interesting. So much nice artwork/eyecandy in the game, but when the asset/mechanic is not usefull and ppl don't use it, noone will see it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grimgaw said:
18 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Gas locks also don't work any more.

Are you sure? Are you saying that gases mix vertically now? Are we understanding gas lock differently?

18 hours ago, bzgzd said:

Just note that gases do travel through tubes and tube crossings... just really slowly

I can't say I can reproduce that. Do you have any pic/vid/save/code to show that's the case?

I think you somehow misquoted it, I didn't wrote that.

Tubes are good for perfect air lock. I already posted video of it yesterday.

Also I think gas locks work same as before.

10 hours ago, BlueLance said:

They generally can keep cool enough in 3kg of CO2 and the water they product from steam, mines never go above 70 been running for well over 100 cycles now and the highest they got to was 71 degrees

This update was primarily for optimisations from what we were told, so I think they wanted to add some content as well. so for me the tubes were just a bonus, whether the optimisations pull through hats what I am more interested in.

I am super keen for a new biome. 

I guess I'm okay with it being a small patch. I think the disappointment comes from klei implementing new content that seems mostly unimportant rather than fixing some of the existing systems. You don't have to add any new items or assets to turn light into a real system for example. Food could be more interesting if the debuff scaled based on how bad the food is (or a buff for how good). Also why stop at 0 quality required, quality 1 food is not that hard.

Edit: I also think the dupe skills is a freebie to add complexity. Cap their level and have them not gain skills after that. First few games you play with all generalist, then you learn to specialize.  Probably need to slow down the learning of athletics or have it not count in that case though.

Edit2: Turns out there is a stress reduction buff for eating good food I just didn't notice.  It is semi nice if you play on Fatalistic and not all of your dupes have Sunny Disposition.  I still have to use the massage table from time to time if the dupes get popped ears or soggy feet.

Edited by donutman07
additional content, and realized a mistake