Tubular Upgrade Preview (And Holiday Break!)

7 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Answering myself I guess, build bridge over complete pipe.

does it look like you can build tubular bridge over a tile wall? so that you can tube over walls?

Edited by midjones

14 minutes ago, midjones said:

Is that a bug? I wouldn't expect the tubes to use a lot of energy when not in use

13 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Judging by how they look, I would assume that the only consume power until they're charged for three usages (which they don't, as pointed out).

I also think it is a bug... they look like they should consume power only when being charged.

I'am really happy about this update! I like my base in seperate chunks/buildings. Now I can space them out more while using these tubes to connect them.

This also might work well in combination with atmo suits. Instead of using suits for everything we can now use them to mine and for building that have extreme non livable conditions. The pipes can be used between buildings that are livable, for example a living and a working area without having to worry about what is in between. Also for example the main storage can now be a a single place that is connected via tubes.

Also the animation cracks me up!

One step closer to water slides and more importantly aqueducts! netSd69.gif I tell you hwat, floating water gardens. Aqueduct waterfalls. Splish splash water park. On the real though, I'd love to have me some aqueducts, I heard mention of something transporting water with no electricity, oh by the way, can you imagine using that process to generate electricity? netSd69.gif

Dupe dam with managed fish habitat, zero carbon output, low heat. netSd69.gif

I'm lookin' ta get WILD! netSd69.gif

future.wav (sound byte)

"You're talking about something that WAS the future, yesterday. Okay, really. WELCOME to the future, YOU made it, you get to do stuff people only dreamed about just a few years ago."

Edited by eggsvbacon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chemie said:

Why do you even need the water lock now?  Can't you just seal it off and use tubes to replace airlock door and water-locks?

Because we might not be able to build tubes over wall, maybe with the tube connector bridge. Can someone verify?

4 minutes ago, midjones said:

Because we might not be able to build tubes over wall, maybe with the tube connector bridge. Can someone verify?

Yes. There's also a building named Transit Tube Crossing, used to run transit tubes through walls. But you must build the tubes first in the current version according to my test.

1 minute ago, LeadfootSlim said:

Do tubes melt down under extreme temperature? If so, I can see exosuits and fire poles remaining relevant for a while yet...

Also is there no pumped air requirement? Do tubes convey gasses, or are they assumed to be 100% oxygenated?

If they melt, it will make them not very useful.  I think ladders/poles still make more sense in your main base due to need for entrance/exits at every level which for tubes would be a pain.

The tubular transport is really fun but now it's a pain to use it correctly :

- Hard to know if we can land where the tube ends.

- Hard to do some turns.

- Need a special overlay for it, to check if the path is correct.

- The station working is not enough clear, need a identified port to connect the tube.

A little disappointed that the patch brings so little new, but hey it's already not bad. Personally, I was expecting an improvement of the automation system to make it more useful.

5 minutes ago, Xyangy87 said:

Yes. There's also a building named Transit Tube Crossing, used to run transit tubes through walls. But you must build the tubes first in the current version according to my test.

How to use that transit thing?

In my debug mode test it looks like power bridge and seems to do nothing with tubes...

cVOHeIS.png

5 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

Do tubes melt down under extreme temperature?

They're plastic so yeah... 76C and they're naphtha. 

Which you incidentally can't use for airlock any more as they ninja fixed naphtha stacking properties. Gas locks also don't work any more.   

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bzgzd said:

How to use that transit thing?

In my debug mode test it looks like power bridge and seems to do nothing with tubes...

cVOHeIS.png

Does the bottom one provide a gas seal?  I assume not since it is a background tile item

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Just note that gases do travel through tubes and tube crossings... just really slowly

OK.  so not a replacement to airlocks...and melt at high temps...so not for hot areas....is there a use scenario then (other than....wee these are cool)?

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

Does the bottom one provide a gas seal?

No. Gas seals do not work in the tubular upgrade at all.

2 minutes ago, chemie said:

OK.  so not a replacement to airlocks...and melt at high temps...so not for hot areas....is there a use scenario then (other than....wee these are cool)?

If there is, I don't see it.

Edited by Saturnus

22 minutes ago, chemie said:

Does the bottom one provide a gas seal?  I assume not since it is a background tile item

I think those tubes are more like stackable 1x1 building and not background. You can't use them behind other buildings.

18 minutes ago, chemie said:

To me it seems like a pretty good (100%) air lock after several cycles. (when they fix that constant power drain)

TEqDJKl.png