I just got this game recently, and I have to say, wohoo! Another Klei game! :D

I'm having fun running my colony, Doom State, but I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to assign jobs to individuals. I mean, I can tell them not to do certain things, but that tends to leave them idle a lot. Is there a way to tell "Johnny" in this case to be the chef, so that he will constantly gather and cook food, and then store it, unless he needs to react to something, like a threat or command? Or for "Bilbo" to always be the one to study, and to prioritize studying whenever it is available? If nothing else, can I set different priorities for different tasks to specific clones? 

Dupes will do jobs themselves but you can choose what jobs they do specifically by changeing the priority but in your case for long term go to the jobs tab in the upper right of the screen and deselect all the other jobs for Johnny except for Cooking and Delivery. Hope this helps :D 

Telling Johny that he is chef is done by telling everyone else that they are not allowed to do cooking. That way only Johny will do cooking and then you can also set grill priority to 6 or 7. (he will do cooking when he can and other things when there is no cooking available)

At cycle 1 when I start new game I always disable every new duplicant from doing art or research and let it do only my one selected scientist and one selected artist. Later I do the same with cooking.

Harvesting, fertilizing and taking care of all farming stuff is a bit more things together so to assign that to one dedicated duplicant I use door permissions. "Farming" skill is currently not working and harvesting speed is not being increased but maybe it will be later.

Job assignments feel a bit half baked to me. I’ll have a dupe with everything except dig unticked and they’ll still stop digging and run halfway across the map to use the metal refinery. 

Plus I can’t figure out what the maintenance job is supposed to do?

The tooltip for sweep vs deliver is super confusing, what is the difference between a “critical” and “non critical” building. Or what is the difference between “storage” and “high priority storage”?

Also dupes set to only build won’t build on tiles which haven’t been excavated already. This one might be working as intended but it is very annoying. 

4 minutes ago, Yobbin said:

Plus I can’t figure out what the maintenance job is supposed to do?

The tooltip for sweep vs deliver is super confusing, what is the difference between a “critical” and “non critical” building. Or what is the difference between “storage” and “high priority storage”?

Maintenance is for repairing damage/broken buildings.

Sweep for cleaning debri and placing it to a storage compactor or Liquid Bottler if it's a liquid. Deliver, on the other hand, is delivering materials to buildings needing them. Example: Delivering Algae to an Algae Deoxider and Sweeping gold amalgam and putting it to a storage compactor.

Storage is basically the storage of a certain material, while high priority storage means a storage marked with a higher priority than the others, dupes will tend to store items in a high-priority storage than a standard prioritize one.

57 minutes ago, OfficialLolicon said:

Maintenance is for repairing damage/broken buildings.

But there are two different jobs available to tick, one "Repair" and a different job "Maintenance"

Thanks I didn't realize Liquid Bottler was controlled by the sweeping job that's good info to have.

Does that mean a Dupe who is set to Deliver only will never waste his time moving to tonnes of stone into a Storage Compactor? Will they stand idle once all my industrial buildings are full?

1 hour ago, Yobbin said:

But there are two different jobs available to tick, one "Repair" and a different job "Maintenance"

Does that mean a Dupe who is set to Deliver only will never waste his time moving to tonnes of stone into a Storage Compactor? Will they stand idle once all my industrial buildings are full?

Sorry, I overlooked that.. Maintenance is for buildings that require a manual check-up in a certain time, even when not damage or requires a deliver. Examples: Compost requires flipping and Oil Well requiring to "release pressure". 

Yep, a dupe will ignore all sweeping commands and debris, also another yes.

1 hour ago, OfficialLolicon said:

Maintenance is for buildings that require a manual check-up in a certain time, even when not damage or requires a deliver. Examples: Compost requires flipping and Oil Well requiring to "release pressure".

Compost is it's own assignable job, but I hadn't thought of the Oil Well. Thank you for helping me through these mechanics.

Another annoying thing about job assignments. If you have a dupe with just Researching and Dig enabled it'll leave the dig site and walk halfway across the map to deliver some Dirt to my research station and then walk back to the dig site all while a second dupe is using the research station with a Storage Compactor of dirt right next to it.

I realize they are using the same code that allows the Builders to carry their own construction material which is great when building, but it's annoying in this context.

7 hours ago, Yobbin said:

Compost is it's own assignable job, but I hadn't thought of the Oil Well. Thank you for helping me through these mechanics.

Welp, I forgot that again.. Then it works for the Oil Well. (Please verify if there's other more structures that requires maintenance).

7 hours ago, Yobbin said:

Another annoying thing about job assignments. If you have a dupe with just Researching and Dig enabled it'll leave the dig site and walk halfway across the map to deliver some Dirt to my research station and then walk back to the dig site all while a second dupe is using the research station with a Storage Compactor of dirt right next to it.

I realize they are using the same code that allows the Builders to carry their own construction material which is great when building, but it's annoying in this context.

It's pretty great in early stages of the game, but once you hit midgame, you need to do some job assignments that is kinda specific. In your case, you can disable delivery for your builders and disable build to your delivery dupes.

Archived