Obsidian Workbench items are not worth it

Parusoid

Because there exists items or ways that can do same thing easier
Here are items you can get from it and for comparison ways of achieving it without effort

• axe - farm trees more effectively using old bell
  • spear - cutlass supreme
  • machete - seems to be the only one reasonable , but you don't need that much bamboos and vines anyway
  • coconades - gunpowder was not very popular back then, coconades bring nothing more and are more expensive 
  • volcano staff - volcano eruption on will, anyone? Yeah, just like i thought. It gives more trouble than benefit. There is only chance to spawn dragoon lair, other than that, few obsydians when the lava puddle is frozen
  • obsidian armor - who wants to burn their prey, i mean honestly, burned loot is a no no
  • sail stick - walking cane easier to get and works always, not only during strong winds
  • howling conch - used to make strong winds so you can use sail stick.... so you can use one item in the price of two.... also can be used for wind farms, but when you have enough resources to make wind farm, you dont actually need anymore resources from wind farms....

Thoughts?

54 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

howling conch - used to make strong winds so you can use sail stick.... so you can use one item in the price of two.... also can be used for wind farms, but when you have enough resources to make wind farm, you dont actually need anymore resources from wind farms....

Using the conch in a Reign of Giants world causes it to rain, but for whatever reason, it causes it to rain much longer than it should. Handy if you don't want to be in SW when the weather is less than agreeable and you prefer Summer. Items won't smolder if it's raining.

56 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

machete - seems to be the only one reasonable , but you don't need that much bamboos and vines anyway

I like having Trawl Nets, though. Those things rule. Having extra bamboo is always a plus.

57 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

volcano staff - volcano eruption on will, anyone? Yeah, just like i thought. It gives more trouble than benefit. There is only chance to spawn dragoon lair, other than that, few obsydians when the lava puddle is frozen

Agreed. Although, you could maybe find a secluded island with nothing on it and see if you can make it a haven for Dragoons and whatnot. Their hearts are always a pain to get.

1 hour ago, Parusoid said:

axe - farm trees more effectively using old bell

I use an army of Pig Men to cut trees for me. Using the Old Bell seems like overkill and reminds me of the Noisy Cricket: Too cool to be used but impractical in most cases.

spear - cutlass supreme

Agreed. The Cutlass Supreme outclasses most weapons in the game.

• obsidian armor - who wants to burn their prey, i mean honestly, burned loot is a no no

I just use it for the fire immunity with other characters. If anything, place it on the floor and admire how nice it looks. It's more of a decoration than anything.

sail stick - walking cane easier to get and works always, not only during strong winds

It's a 'meh' item. You make it for the sake of making it.

• The volcano staff can be fun to kill stuff with. Especially as its environmental damage so no agro.
  • The axe is still better than a normal axe if you ever find your self using one.
  • The spear is really good with the spear gun. As it 1 shots many mobs such as Crocodogs from a safe distance.
  • The armor is basically easy to farm scalemail with a downside 3 of the 4 seasons. Really good with saving durability from your head slot armor and fighting around fire.

Volcano staff - I like to use it inside the volcano to farm obsidian rocks. I don't make them cause it would be counter productive to use obsidian to farm more obsidian which is limited. I use it if I get it quacken chest.

Obsidian spear - very good with speargun (more powerful than loading regular spear). Can't load a cutlass supreme and shoot it out of a speargun.

I agree with most. Use the brain of thought so you don't have to take long trips to the volcano. Use brain of thought in ROG too so you don't have to go to ruins to make thulecite things.

13 hours ago, Parusoid said:

machete - seems to be the only one reasonable , but you don't need that much bamboos and vines anyway

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

I like having Trawl Nets, though. Those things rule. Having extra bamboo is always a plus.

The fastest way to farm bamboo/vines is to plant a lot of them and hire some bores to chop them down. You barerly use machete's durablity, so even flint one works.

obsidian armor - who wants to burn their prey, i mean honestly, burned loot is a no no

11 hours ago, zzKratoszz said:

The armor is basically easy to farm scalemail with a downside 3 of the 4 seasons. Really good with saving durability from your head slot armor and fighting around fire.

As it's been said, it's budget scalemail. They are just as good for fire farms or fighting with dragonfly. You shouldn't use these for anything else anyway.

spear - cutlass supreme

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

Agreed. The Cutlass Supreme outclasses most weapons in the game.

11 hours ago, Ispin69 said:

Obsidian spear - very good with speargun (more powerful than loading regular spear). Can't load a cutlass supreme and shoot it out of a speargun.

I understand speargun case, but still wouldn't do this, uses too much of spear's durablity imo. There are many easy ways to kill stuff.
Which doesn't make obsidian spear useless. Some people use it for ruins raids - it's powerful and gives light. Weapon and lightsource in one hand slot item. You can use body armor and sleek hat, for example. I also believe that you can juggle spears to make their cons non existent.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, Maslak said:

Some people use it for ruins raids - it's powerful and gives light. Weapon and lightsource in one hand slot item.

This!  It gives off free light AND in the winter time, if you keep the obsidian spear halfway to fully charged, you will also never need to drop a fire to warm up.  Makes winter ruins raids a breeze.

Looking back on this, the only item worth crafting from the Obsidian Workbench is the Obsidian Fire Pit. It has the best light radius in the game, can keep burning for 3 times longer than a normal fire pit, and makes me wish it could be placed in an RoG world.

Edit: You make it with the Alchemy Engine. Aw man....

Hmmm. I wouldn't call it useless. It depends how you play the game and what stage of the game you are in. Most of this stuff is only really useful if you have your world connected to RoG. Also having the volcano close to your base helps, so you don't have to sail across the whole map to craft something. In my case my volcano is right next to my home island and I do have a RoG world.  

-Axe - I do like to keep some around, chops trees faster. I know there are more efficient methods to mass farm logs. But you don't always need that many nor have the time for that. 

-Spear- Perfect winter weapon in RoG. Free light + keeps you warm. 

-Machete - Same as the axe, I like it.

-Coconades - Never use it. 

-Volcano staff - some people may find a use for this one. I personally don't. 

-Obsidian armor - budget Scalemail for dragonfly fights. I'll take it.

-Sail stick - I do like to carry one during tornado season while sailing out, but I agree, you can survive without it just fine. I guess I like it for the convenience.

-Howling conch - Love this item for RoG. Summons rain during summer preventing wildfires. Who needs flingos? 

-Obsidian fire pits: Great firepit, if only you could pre-craft it and take it to RoG as well. </3

TL;DR: I find some use for 6/8 obsidian items. Most of them are good if your world is connected to RoG, but if you only play SW you can just get the fire pit and ignore the rest.

Archived