LAN connection issues

Can someone please walk me through the steps of setting up a LAN game for my friend and I to play together? It is driving me insane. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get a LAN game started between both of my computers. I have set them both into Offline mode and In-Home Stream Beta via the Steam settings, ensured that both PC's are visable to one another, and disabled firewall on both of them; but when I host a game, the other computer doesn't detect it in the server list. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, shePenguin said:

Can someone please walk me through the steps of setting up a LAN game for my friend and I to play together? It is driving me insane. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get a LAN game started between both of my computers. I have set them both into Offline mode and In-Home Stream Beta via the Steam settings, ensured that both PC's are visable to one another, and disabled firewall on both of them; but when I host a game, the other computer doesn't detect it in the server list. Thanks in advance!

Are you conected to a net? Wifi? same router? Try both of them Online.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

The Forge cannot be hosted by players as a LAN servers. It runs on dedicated servers provided by Klei. Are you trying to host a game of The Forge or regular Don't Starve Together?

she is asking about a survival server 

Since the thread specifies a LAN game, I'll assume it's a Survival mode server. So I'll move this thread over to DST Gen. Discussion cause the other subforum for hosting servers is specifically just for Dedicated Servers.

@shePenguin first off, welcome to the forums. Have you guys tried whitelisting DST in the antivirus programs of both PCs? or Disabling their antivirus  programs entirely and see if they can connect?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I wasn't sure where to post this, lol. But yes, I am trying to start a Local Only, Cooperative, Survival server.

Both computers are connected to the same Wifi network.

I have tried leaving them both online and it still didn't work.

I have also disabled all antivirus programs... Still doesn't work.

I purchased the Don't Starve MEGA pack from Steam... I am not sure if I'm playing The Forge, or the regular version; because the name of the game is just "Don't Starve Together", but the picture reads "Don't Starve Together The Forge". Anyway, there is an option to start a "Local Only" game on the version I have, so I'd sure hope that I would be able to use it.

I will attach a picture of what the menu screen looks like, and maybe you can help me identify if this is the Forge version of the game. However, I didn't see more than one version of Don't Starve Together while browsing the Steam store... So if I am playing one that won't allow me to host a LAN game, I don't even know how to get my hands on the original version.

1512019604729411564310.jpg

@shePenguin ah, that is in fact the Don't Starve Together The Forge Menu which everyone has currently, it's the existing public build of the game. It's a bit confusing at first but people can still host a normal DST server to play on with friends and have the default DST experience. You just have to be aware of the buttons to click in the main menu. I'll try and explain each button to help you figure out how to join a Survival LAN server with your friend.

Enter the Forge - any servers joined in this section of the game will all be in The Forge mode, where you battle monsters.

Browse Games - brings you to the server list of the default DST games currently active (Survival, Endless, Wilderness, etc). Who ever one of you wants to join the other that hosts the server, they should click Browse Games and wait in the LAN tab.

Host Game - brings you to the Host Game screen where you can start up a server to host. Customize your world then create it. Whoever one of you wants to Host the server, this is where you'll do it. 

Method 1:

Once the host is in the server playing as a character and if nothings conflicts with the two computers from communicating with each other, then the other player SHOULD be able to see the server name pop up in the LAN tab in their Browse Games screen. They would only need to click the server and join it.

Method 2:

If however, they still can't find it, (i don't know if it works with a LAN game) try and send your friend a "Invite to game" steam-invite. Or ask your friend to open steam friends list window and right click your username (or whoever is the host) and select "Join Game".

Method 3:

If that doesn't work, here's a more technical way to manually connect to a LAN server:

• Who ever is the host, while the game is running on windows go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_# (where # is the slot number of the host server you picked when you made the server) and inside you'll see a cluster.ini file (open it with notepad). Look for the number associated with master_ip and master_port. There are the numbers your friend should enter.
  • On the friends computer with DST opened, press tilde "~" and enter the following command where IP address = master_ip and port = master_port and include password if you have it:
c_connect("IP address", port, "password")

So for example, if the master_ip = 1.1.1.1 and master_port = 01010 and you didn't use a password, the code your friend should use is:

c_connect(1.1.1.1 , 01010)

And they should be able to start picking a character and play with you! 

Hopefully the first method I mentioned above helps, good luck and have fun. Cheers.

Double check, triple check and then you check you once again that you have all the firewalls disabled on both computers and that they can "see" each other (the latter is the essential part).

If both computers are behind the same router, you'd ultimately want to disable all firewalls on respective computer, since most/all Internet routers have built-in firewalls and running more than more firewall doesn't give any additional benefit but will cause problems (more info: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security-winpc/can-i-have-running-two-firewalls-on-windows-10/a0d9cff4-9919-4ca8-8d2d-bbd2a3c67064?auth=1).

Turn off 1) any anti-virus software firewall 2) Windows Defender Firewall.

Now, let's check if the computers can see each other on the network. Check if traffic can go betweem them, that is.

Check the local IP address of one of the computers. Ping that address from the other computer. If you get a response, traffic is allowed to pass; if you get time-outs, something is still wrong. Refer to https://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

On 11/30/2017 at 4:58 AM, Starlogy said:

not related to topic but why did op take a picture of the screen instead of taking a screenshot it drives me nuts when people do that

Lol, same. But it was so much faster that way.

Thank you all so much for the help! My friend just bought the game instead of trying to hassle with this after 2 days of trying to get it to work. We now just play in a locked public session. I hope that your knowledge can help others like me who are experiencing this confusing mess. :)

1 hour ago, shePenguin said:

Lol, same. But it was so much faster that way.

Thank you all so much for the help! My friend just bought the game instead of trying to hassle with this after 2 days of trying to get it to work. We now just play in a locked public session. I hope that your knowledge can help others like me who are experiencing this confusing mess. :)

So how were you supposed to play with only one copy of the game?

Archived