Let´s talk next upgrade (reprise)

In my previous post

I thought more depth food was coming...

There was also talk about metallurgy, husbandry, new biomes, subbiomes, medicine, more power, etc.

So, i´ll try and be creative and say LOGISTICS.

With this I mean ways to move dupes and solids around the base. Let´s say elevators, rail carts, conveyors.

I was thinking of a system where (like they use in construction) you have pulleys and buckets. It works like the suits check point but instead for materials (even dupes).

Let´s say, ie, that a dupe is carrying ore. Gets to the check point. If the system accepts that ore, it puts it into it. If not, he continues to the storage or wherever he was going.

What do u guys think is coming next?

ps. In the previous post there was a lot of talk about performance. PLEASE DON´T. Just content, please.

have a good one!

I'm all for logistics type systems, and would be simply salivating if they added pneumatic item tubes or other item-sorting/moving automation.

However, a new biome wouldn't be remiss... I'm getting a little sick of having my entire base surrounded by either Chlorine or Slime biomes. Something high above to offer a compelling reason to go up for something instead of down for oil would be neat.

10 hours ago, LeadfootSlim said:

I'm all for logistics type systems, and would be simply salivating if they added pneumatic item tubes or other item-sorting/moving automation.

However, a new biome wouldn't be remiss... I'm getting a little sick of having my entire base surrounded by either Chlorine or Slime biomes. Something high above to offer a compelling reason to go up for something instead of down for oil would be neat.

I have to agree with this pretty adamantly.  I fired up a new map, only to discover that a single Heat Biome wrapped around ~80% of the starting biome, contiguously.  Only 2 Abyssalite veins connecting to the starter biome, with only a narrow channel of Slime between then.  Even prior to Automation, I kept running into a similar scenario.  Only 3 to 5 veins accessible to explore the map, and some of them are "dead ends" due to ruin spawns or geyser spawns, letting biomes mix.

17 hours ago, LeadfootSlim said:

Being able to go to the surface itself would be nice. It could allow for free power through solar panels (those exist already in the files by the way) and disposing of gases by pumping them there (which by extension also allows heat deletion).
I personally have my hopes up for nuclear power. The way I imagine it working is with a reactor that turns water into steam which can then be used for power generation in the steam turbine that's been sitting in the files since the Oil Upgrade. Other than those two buildings, some things that they'd probably have to add for nuclear power include a radioactive biome with uranium ore, ways to refine that ore for usage in a reactor and ways to shield yourself from the radiation, like lead and radiation suits. If they add a proper way to produce large quantities of power like that, maybe they will also give fertilizer synthesizer the rebalance that I believe them to be in need of.
Something important to keep in mind while speculating about the next update is that it will be smaller than the previous ones.

1 minute ago, eloy2030 said:

what make u say that? the time frame?

Yes. I asked the devs about it on their last stream and they said they made the time span shorter to get another update out before their holiday break and I believe they also said that it's probably going to be a bit smaller (and even if they didn't say that, it only makes sense for a four week update to be smaller than a six week update).

15 minutes ago, Michi01 said:

Yes. I asked the devs about it on their last stream and they said they made the time span shorter to get another update out before their holiday break and I believe they also said that it's probably going to be a bit smaller (and even if they didn't say that, it only makes sense for a four week update to be smaller than a six week update).

Yeah, absolutely. 

A more serious update of game optimisation would be my first hope.

Getting pretty tired of the game being made smaller when we're given more tools to make our bases bigger.

Many people want different things to be added, but everyone wants the game to run smoother.

I guess that big food or stress update doesn't make much sense right now. I'm pretty sure, that in the developed game the quality of food will matter, and stress won't be an early-game problem only. Same with germs, decor, light and so on - experimenting with those things is pointless right now. It would be fantastic though to have agricultural plant requirements with automatization, so many ways to apply all those circuits :D

Logistics make a lot of sense right now. We also deserve to see fish!

7 hours ago, BlueLance said:

A smaller update that I can imagine being implemented easily would be a biome with the fish that can breed. Having a renewable meat food source would at least make some sort of difference. Changing food might be doable as well.

I don't think implementing a new biome is as easy as you're claiming.  You've got to ensure it works right in the world generation, fill it with enough resources to justify its existence, ensure those resources have a purpose, add new art assets and sound effects, balance all the new stuff you've just added, redo the research tree, test everything for bugs, etc.

Just now, goboking said:

You've got to ensure it works right in the world generation, fill it with enough resources to justify its existence, ensure those resources have a purpose, add new art assets and sound effects, balance all the new stuff you've just added, redo the research tree, test everything for bugs, etc.

I get what you are saying, but currently the world gen already has issues, such as ice spawning in caustic biomes etc, and ruins deleting abyssalite etc

The assets for the fish are already in the game from what I am aware, and so is the assets for a crystal biome, albeit I do not know if they will be used, But a small update where the only new thing is a biome and fish, no machines shouldn't need a lot of work compared to the updates they have done in 6 weeks.

7 hours ago, BlueLance said:

A smaller update that I can imagine being implemented easily would be a biome with the fish that can breed. Having a renewable meat food source would at least make some sort of difference. Changing food might be doable as well.

speaking of biomes... what would be a new biome? i mean, how would it be?

11 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I get what you are saying, but currently the world gen already has issues, such as ice spawning in caustic biomes etc, and ruins deleting abyssalite etc

Do we have confirmation that those are bugs?  I haven't seen anything to confirm that they are.

11 hours ago, eloy2030 said:

speaking of biomes... what would be a new biome? i mean, how would it be?

Atlantean Biome -- large reserves of clean H2O, Coral "plant" life as well as Sea Grass and Kelp plants, habitat for the fish-creature (potential for another, hunts it).  Potential to come in Fresh and Salt forms, allowing an additional process, Desalination, as well as allowing variations in the fish creatures.  Small reserves of Oil, present in the same manner as Sand is in other Biomes.

Rainforest Biome -- lush with high densities of plant life, allowing for several kinds of plants to be implemented, new Disease risk via a new creature like a mosquito, perhaps a creature like an Iguana that eats plant materials (but prefers Sea Grass), produces a new kind of fertalizing substance, to fall in line with a more robust Food system.  New Medicinal plants to be used alongside Balm Lilies.  Very limited quantities of clean H2O, high concentrations of O2.

Etc.

4 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Do we have confirmation that those are bugs?  I haven't seen anything to confirm that they are.

Atlantean Biome -- large reserves of clean H2O, Coral "plant" life as well as Sea Grass and Kelp plants, habitat for the fish-creature (potential for another, hunts it).  Potential to come in Fresh and Salt forms, allowing an additional process, Desalination, as well as allowing variations in the fish creatures.  Small reserves of Oil, present in the same manner as Sand is in other Biomes.

Rainforest Biome -- lush with high densities of plant life, allowing for several kinds of plants to be implemented, new Disease risk via a new creature like a mosquito, perhaps a creature like an Iguana that eats plant materials (but prefers Sea Grass), produces a new kind of fertalizing substance, to fall in line with a more robust Food system.  New Medicinal plants to be used alongside Balm Lilies.  Very limited quantities of clean H2O, high concentrations of O2.

Etc.

Well having ice spawn in the oil biome isn't intended and it never used to happen. So pretty sure it is an issue.

There is a Crystal Biome in the game files which someone showed in a previous thead.

I like the direction of development of oxygen not included. It would be great if you added conveyors to transport solids (ore, sand, coal, etc.) from their storage site to their places of use, such as a coal generator or a shredder. I believe that in conjunction with automation upgrade, this would allow us to build a base with full automation systems. This would remove dupes from routine work, and allowed them to do useful things.

Who else likes this idea? Please, support.

2 hours ago, Bestpain said:

I like the direction of development of oxygen not included. It would be great if you added conveyors to transport solids (ore, sand, coal, etc.) from their storage site to their places of use, such as a coal generator or a shredder. I believe that in conjunction with automation upgrade, this would allow us to build a base with full automation systems. This would remove dupes from routine work, and allowed them to do useful things.

Who else likes this idea? Please, support.

The problem with doing this is the game will just become another Factorio in my opinion, The other thing I would be worried about is that all of that sort of stuff would become useless after a while, Like ok coal being fed into a coal gen is useful, But I cannot think of a reason for mid to late game bases where spending resources to move sandstone etc would be of use. Not to mention the space it would take up, even if it were on its own layer we would have Wires, Gas Pipes, Liquid Pipes, Automation Wires and then this, would just be a giant cluster.

Dupes essentially do the exact same job and later in the game I would be surprised if there are no free dupes able to move stuff.

31 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Dupes could marry and have some babys?

I would have loved this except the Printer is ready every 3 days so babies are kinda obsolete unless they could have higher stats than the parents.

8 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

Small reserves of tar

FIFY

4 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

The problem with doing this is the game will just become another Factorio in my opinion, The other thing I would be worried about is that all of that sort of stuff would become useless after a while, Like ok coal being fed into a coal gen is useful, But I cannot think of a reason for mid to late game bases where spending resources to move sandstone etc would be of use. Not to mention the space it would take up, even if it were on its own layer we would have Wires, Gas Pipes, Liquid Pipes, Automation Wires and then this, would just be a giant cluster.

Dupes essentially do the exact same job and later in the game I would be surprised if there are no free dupes able to move stuff.

I would have loved this except the Printer is ready every 3 days so babies are kinda obsolete unless they could have higher stats than the parents.

Dupe genetics? Maybe they'd have a higher level cap?

Spoiler

Or maybe it'd work like the Chao Garden in SA2...

But what about inbreeding? Can dupes even have negative inbreeding effects? :wilson_curious:

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

The problem with doing this is the game will just become another Factorio

I've never played Factorio, but I don't see full automation as a problem at all.  New technology is supposed to make things easier.  The power generator gives way to the coal generator, which reduces dupe operation from full time to part time.  The coal generator then gives way to the natural gas generator, which reduces dupe operation from part time to none required.  I see now reason why this progression can't or shouldn't be applied to every aspect of the game. Our dupes sitting around watching tv and eating all day ala WALL-E should be the utopia we all wish to build.

Archived