The Forge is Now Live on Steam!

JoeW

I keep getting disconnected!  Like, every time I'm in the middle of outfitting my character, BAM.  I don't think it's the other players going "EEEEWW A LOW-LEVEL" or "EEEEWWW THAT CHARACTER YOU PICKED", 'cos it happens after pretty much the same amount of time being on the Forge, every.  single.  time.  Once the other players even gave me a friendly hello!  And then YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED.

Oh, and:  I was fine during the beta.  It's only now during the live event I keep disconnecting.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 1

• Developer
14 hours ago, Hefestos said:

i really enjoy the practice, clarity and management of the new main menu, this was easily the best point of the whole event. I understand that most customizations will be only for the forge (and others) event, but no one talks about the new menu style and what will hapens to it at the end of the forge event. Same for Loading backgrounds that fits well the game.

Most of this will be staying once the event is over. That said, we'll continue to make some changes and improvements going forward too. Stay tuned for more!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• Developer
7 minutes ago, Karmattack said:

People datamined what it is already, unless it's being changed in some way it seems like it should be a simple matter of turning it on.

It will take a bit of time for us to get the complete beta users list brought over and the items granted into the production database. The people involved in doing that are a bit preoccupied putting out server fires at the moment. Thanks for your patience. It's coming!

https://media.giphy.com/media/dbtDDSvWErdf2/giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, PeterA said:

It will take a bit of time for us to get the complete beta users list brought over and the items granted into the production database. The people involved in doing that are a bit preoccupied putting out server fires at the moment. Thanks for your patience. It's coming!

Apologies for the impatience, I collect loyal rarity items so the prospect of a new one is just exciting. >·<

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

awesome!

Another dumb question--last night, I unravelled a few things and had around 450 spools or so. Today, I unravel a couple things and have--TOTAL--125.

Are you supposed to unravel _and make things_ in the same session or else you lose the spools?!  If this was said when the spool mechanic was first introduced, I guess I didn't read that thread really carefully and am now not sure where it is.  I gotta wonder if  my missing spools are some kind of bug, since, yaknow, saving up for the bigger things is totally what everyone's gonna do...

...Notorious

• Like 1

• Developer
31 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Are you supposed to unravel _and make things_ in the same session or else you lose the spools?

No, the spool persists normally. Take a look over your inventory again, if you still think it's wrong send us your steamid and a complete list of the spool transactions you think you did (what you sold and what you bought) and we'll take a look (might be delayed, we've got a lot going on right now. :)  )

• Thanks 1

• Developer
10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Wow, I wonder what could be going on your end. IT might not be winter feast but it sounds important. PeterA mentioned about server fires. Take care you guys, I hope things are alright on your end.

We'll be OK, we just don't like it when users have a bad play experience. Got a few more bugs to resolve.

• Thanks 1

Well, it's already greatly improved, as I can log on and play without sudden disconnection just fine now.  I think by now all together I should have something like 675 spools (which is not much, but it'll add up), but I'm not entirely sure.  For now, I'm not unravelling anything else, just in case.  (shrug)

...Notorious

• Like 2

Hoo boy.  Can I tell you about that.  Last night, I actually made a Forge-Friend, we played several rounds in a row, did pretty well, I went up a few levels, it was cool. We had a good time!  I got good scores, I was useful, people _said_ I was useful.

Today, my Forge Steam-friend invited me again and I said yes, and like THE FREAKING _SECOND_ I GOT THERE one of the players started calling me a "noob" and going "Can we switch to Wilson for healer?"  Subtle insult there, guy!  "Can we have this other person do this" of COURSE means "because the person who's doing it now sucks."

I kept trying and trying and trying over and over again to heal BEFORE the insults started, but on the very.  last.  FRAME of the animation I kept getting hit!  And anybody who's ever tried to do any kind of spell in Don't Starve?  You KNOW how commmon this is, and how often it happens.  You KNOW how frustratingly hard it is to _actually finish something_ when the arena's crowded.  Then two OTHER people started yelling at me too.  Finally I went "F this" and left.  I was there to _have fun_.  Ain't nobody got time for random abuse.

And from now on I am only EVER playing the Forge with friends, 'cos this is exactly the kind of thing (all-combat, all the time) that brings out the jerk kinds of players.  There also needs to be some quick and easy way to distinguish the TONE of a server.  I mean, "LVL 15+ ONLY!!!" in your title/description is a start (a snobby and "Ooh, you're not GOOD enough for us, filthy casual, go away!" kind of one, but a start) but when you match HARDCORE MLG GGGRRRRR MUST WIN OR DEATH people with "I thought I'd try this out and join in a cooperative thing for fun" people, it's...not a good mesh.  (Part of the problem is Quick Match, but this wasn't one of those, with me.  I was specifically invited.)

All of this is to say...player personalities do make SUCH a difference.  One was fun and lasted almost three hours. The other was awful and lasted maybe two minutes.  Since the content is about the same each time, the PEOPLE make the biggest variable.

I wonder..should we do a "How To Be Courteous To Other Gladiators" thread, or is the Forge too short-lived for that to be useful?  Hmmm...

EDIT:  And just now, I found out that the original guy who friended me last night...has unfriended me!  No longer shows up on the list.  So, my nice happy story at the beginning of this post...is no longer happy.  He was THERE when the others were treating me like dirt and chose to dump ME instead, because GRRRR GAME IS EVERYTHING.  Well, I guess we now know where _your_ loyalties lie, jerkface.  Nowhere.

...I'm starting to think I just shouldn't play the Forge anymore.  It's REQUIRED to be played with people and...too many people are jerks.  :(

...Notorious

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Yeah, I know.  I met most of my Steam friends on Don't Starve Together--it just wasn't this PART of it.  Since you're required to have 6 people (unless you're really good or really foolish) + combat time-sensitive thing, it both (a) increases the number of people you're guaranteed to run into per match and (b) being combat, skews the player-type ratio.

(And because of its very nature, it's SO stressful! Everything has to be exactly timed and if you mess up everybody knows it was you, and you're letting the team down and being The Weak Link, and once people actually start yelling at you you're likely to mess up MORE.  Guys.  Guys.  Yelling "HEAL YOU IDIOT!" _doesn't speed anybody up_...)

...Notorious

• Like 1