Concerns Regarding Halloween Skins

Issue

So I checked the market the other day, because one of my friends had suggested that I see the new Halloween skins that had been added. Expecting nothing more than the standard item skins that are generally associated with each event at this point, I was very surprised to see the characters as now being available permanent skins. Immediately, this brought up a lot of questions for me as well as the same apprehension that always come with dealing with the volatile and unreliable steam community market. To better specify, I'm a fairly dedicated DST/DS player (1000+ hours), and have done my best to collect as many character skins that I enjoy as possible, sometimes probably spending more than I should. My major concern is that there's two specific skins I would like to acquire, Willow's elegant and distinguished costume, but that there won't be enough time to disseminate enough skins into the market to lower the price for each item to a feasible amount (for me, around 10 dollars). I read in the Halloween post that the skins will only be dropping for the course of the event, and to make matters worse the forge will be going live during the event meaning even less people will be receiving the normal skin drops via survival, therefore constricting the total amount of Halloween drops even more, resulting in less supply and higher prices.

Solutions?

• I know this may seem silly to a lot, but I like to maintain my collection and it's something that matters to me. Perhaps making the skins purchasable from Klei, as the Gladiator sets will be, would be a healthy way of resolving the issues of both time, supply, and pricing.
  • Another solution is that if they dropped year round, unlike the other Halloween skins, than this issue could also be resolved, as they would act like any of the other elegants on the market, it's just the current assumed time restriction that causes worry about supply and pricing. Another form of this is if they dropped for a long time (five weeks plus), assuming the event will last a long time.
  • Temporarily flooding the market by perhaps guaranteeing everyone higher elegant droprates for a very brief time, much like the Christmas event last year.

Finally, my apologies if this was long winded, it's just something I've been thinking about since the character skins were added to the Halloween drops.

TL;DR

I'm worried that prices and supply on the Halloween character skins won't reach a point where I'm able to afford the ones I want, due to their limited timeframe and the forge distracting the normal survival skin drops.

Trading:

If you happened to acquire Willow's Elegant costume head and/or costume, and you're interested in trading, shoot me a friend request on steam or message me here, I'm sure we can work something out.

Profile Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MMulk

Trade Link:

https://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=189218651&token=0NtM3-mC

concern.PNG.11e6659f5be026e9e16943a638f53b2b.PNG

lessconcern.PNG.74d7cfdd769c3399f10e1ae9d1847d8e.PNG

It's all supply and demand.

Fortunately for you, 99% of people are weebs and/or hate Willow, so it will certainly go down in price.

If you wanted a Wendy GoH though... you are out of luck.

"THE PRICES WILL FALL GUYS!!!"

Bologna, the Wendy GoH was one of the first elegants released years ago and it still costs $25.

Again, supply and demand.

3 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

Bologna, the Wendy GoH was one of the first elegants released years ago and it still costs $25.

Then there's also people who buy all of one item off the market to sell them more expensively.
I remember initially being very hesitant to buy the tuxedo and waiting half a year for it to get cheaper and its price did indeed continuously drop, just to suddenly get even higher than it was when I started watching it. That was quite a while ago, I just checked, it has gotten even more expensive since then.

11 minutes ago, DarkXero said:

It's all supply and demand.

Fortunately for you, 99% of people are weebs and/or hate Willow, so it will certainly go down in price.

If you wanted a Wendy GoH though... you are out of luck.

I understand this wholly, I'm just concerned the supply won't match the demand resulting in the prices staying at an unobtainable level, or worse, resulting in only one, two, or none even existing on the market.

I hope the forge's skin system eventually makes it to the base game. Being able to unravel skins into a currency to make any skin you want feels much better then playing the lotto or just flat out buying a skin off the market. Yeah, it'll likely crash the market, but who cares? At least we'll be able to work towards skins we'd actually want simply by playing the game.

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I hope the forge's skin system eventually makes it to the base game. Being able to unravel skins into a currency to make any skin you want feels much better then playing the lotto or just flat out buying a skin off the market. Yeah, it'll likely crash the market, but who cares? At least we'll be able to work towards skins we'd actually want simply by playing the game.

I love that idea! It provides a healthy alternative to spending a lot of money, and encourages people to actually play the game.

I have a better solution, how about making drops daily for special events, with only event skins dropping?

I would also love the idea of buying the skins from klei themselves for $12.99 or being able to weave them. But if I pay for them, I want to be able to use them in multiple platforms, not just one.

42 minutes ago, Master Wolf said:

I have a better solution, how about making drops daily for special events, with only event skins dropping?

Do I understood well, you mean that we had one drop for every day that would be guaranteed a hallowed nights' skin? 

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It might make the price of some character elegants go down initially but keep in mind that the supply of unravel able cosmetics is limited. There are only 704 "storm cloud gray" pants on the market and unraveling every single one would grant 3520 points to use to craft a cosmetic. (There are around 21600 commons on the market worth 108000 spools. That's only 74 more elegants in existence.) People will start buying skins for the purpose of unraveling to get the skin they want....which creates demand for all skins (to be unraveled.) while decreasing the supply of skins to unravel. Ultimately I think this solution would lower prices of some elegants (Wendy, Alchemy pod.) but will drive up the prices of nearly every other skin in the game as the supply of skins would be depleted while the demand would be greatly increased. Also this would mean that more people would buy copies of the game for the sole purpose of idling for skins for their own profit. I think this would ultimately do more harm to the market and the game than leaving the current system in.

It's really apparent a lot of people would like certain skins but don't like the current method of acquiring them. Klei should really implement the ability to purchase all skins directly from them and have some sort of difference. (Maybe untradable but skins are of loyal/proof of purchase rarity to signify you purchased it from Klei and support the games development.) I will find it completely silly if Klei doesn't implement this in the future as most platforms (Tencent, Playstation, Xbox.) have no way of purchasing skins in any capacity at present and can only acquire them through completely RNG methods. (To my knowledge at least but it sounds like those platforms will be able to purchase the Gladiator skin set.)

41 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Do I understood well, you mean that we had one drop for every day that would be guaranteed a hallowed nights' skin? 

Would you rather spend long hours to get 4 chances at being able to POSSIBLY have the chance at a Halloween skin? We don't even know how long it will last, 1 week, maybe 2 weeks. And you could spend so much time idling for a chance to get them, and come out empty handed (geting a useless common).

30 minutes ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

It might make the price of some character elegants go down initially but keep in mind that the supply of unravel able cosmetics is limited. There are only 704 "storm cloud gray" pants on the market and unraveling every single one would grant 3520 points to use to craft a cosmetic. (There are around 21600 commons on the market worth 108000 spools. That's only 74 more elegants in existence.) People will start buying skins for the purpose of unraveling to get the skin they want....which creates demand for all skins (to be unraveled.) while decreasing the supply of skins to unravel. Ultimately I think this solution would lower prices of some elegants (Wendy, Alchemy pod.) but will drive up the prices of nearly every other skin in the game as the supply of skins would be depleted while the demand would be greatly increased. Also this would mean that more people would buy copies of the game for the sole purpose of idling for skins for their own profit. I think this would ultimately do more harm to the market and the game than leaving the current system in.

Let the market burn.

2 minutes ago, Master Wolf said:

Would you rather spend long hours to get 4 chances at being able to POSSIBLY have the chance at a Halloween skin? We don't even know how long it will last, 1 week, maybe 2 weeks. And you could spend so much time idling for a chance to get them, and come out empty handed (geting a useless common).

I agree that there could/should be better chances to get these time-limited skins. But one guaranteed every day? We'd be swimming in them, the halloween-elegant were the new common... I don't care much about the market, but these skins would lose their worth anyways, because everyone had them. What elegant is that is to be seen on everyone?... 

Btw, the Hallowed Nights event will last at least 3 weeks, but more likely 4. It was confirmed that it will end when the Forge ends, which will last exactely 3 weeks and most likely begin on the second week of November.

3 hours ago, Mr.Mulk said:

I know this may seem silly to a lot, but I like to maintain my collection and it's something that matters to me. Perhaps making the skins purchasable from Klei, as the Gladiator sets will be, would be a healthy way of resolving the issues of both time, supply, and pricing.

2 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I hope at least one of these two ideas will happen. I'd love to be able to aquire skins to play with in the game for fun without paying a ridiciulous premium to people who just aim to make profit. (Ofc I'm willing to pay a bit for skins, but not those insane sums of money.)

4 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I agree that there could/should be better chances to get these time-limited skins. But one guaranteed every day? We'd be swimming in them, the halloween-elegant were the new common... I don't care much about the market, but these skins would lose their worth anyways, because everyone had them. What elegant is that is to be seen on everyone?... 

Btw, the Hallowed Nights event will last at least 3 weeks, but more likely 4. It was confirmed that it will end when the Forge ends, which will last exactely 3 weeks and most likely begin on the second week of November.

Do you really care that much about rarity? What are you trying to show off, that you were more lucky in idling the game? Your reasoning is ridiculous, since there is no merit to receiving these skins, just pure random luck. Now, if you had to do something hard to get them (killing a boss a certain way, or doing a puzzle), then it would be different.

You don't know that, The forge could get released next week for all we know. But after the Forge is released, are you telling me that you are going to idle for skins instead of playing the Forge?

If any of these comments are taken as aggressive, please understand that I am not trying to be. I just don't understand your way of reasoning.

8 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

I hope at least one of these two ideas will happen. I'd love to be able to aquire skins to play with in the game for fun without paying a ridiciulous premium to people who just aim to make profit. (Ofc I'm willing to pay a bit for skins, but not those insane sums of money.)

Honestly at this point I just think the direct purchase method would be the best, and the spools method has some virtue but as @fimmatek put it we'd have to be careful.

Heck, I'd pay 15 dollars just for the elegant item

Keep in mind that only common item drops will turn into forge chests during the forge event. Having both Halloween and the forge events running at the same size will not decrease the likelihood of getting special Halloween skins because they are all higher rarity than common.

53 minutes ago, Master Wolf said:

Do you really care that much about rarity? What are you trying to show off, that you were more lucky in idling the game? Your reasoning is ridiculous, since there is no merit to receiving these skins, just pure random luck. Now, if you had to do something hard to get them (killing a boss a certain way, or doing a puzzle), then it would be different.

You don't know that, The forge could get released next week for all we know. But after the Forge is released, are you telling me that you are going to idle for skins instead of playing the Forge?

If any of these comments are taken as aggressive, please understand that I am not trying to be. I just don't understand your way of reasoning.

Now I understand your opinion much better. Normally I don't care much what other people wear. However, if someone wears an elegant skin, that player is (not necessarily, but) most likely someone who either played a lot and is experienced in the game, and/or loves that character that much that spent money/time to buy/trade it. So that players is usually more dedicated to the game and that character. If we had tons of elegants everywhere, this little add-on would disappear, which would be a pity (for me at least). But of course there are people who just simply very lucky or unlucky.

About the Hallowed Nights skins, everyone can wear them now and practically there is no difference if one is wearing the event or elegant skin. Having the elegant one through the year is a similar reward like the other elegant head skins. But if many people could wear the halloween skins all the time, well... then Hallowed Nights were almost nothing worthy, barely special. I also dislike it a bit that these skins are now dropable, as it broke its timed uniqeness. At least there aren't too many of them.

So all together I have very mixed feelings about the drop rates. On the one hand agree that some special skins should be kept rare, but on the other hand it's truly annoying that we cannot do anything to get one specific (or just simply one) of the best ones even after months of active playing. (Unless one is willing to pay a lot for some skins...)

4 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

So all together I have very mixed feelings about the drop rates. On the one hand agree that some special skins should be kept rare, but on the other hand it's truly annoying that we cannot do anything to get one specific (or just simply one) of the best ones even after months of active playing. (Unless one is willing to pay a lot for some skins...)

THere is a big difference between rare, and an almost 99% failure rate.

I just wish there was a limit on how high these prices can go. I mean it's understandable that they wanna make profits off of this, but don't keep letting people sell skins for well over eighty bucks. 

Cap it at twenty. Maybe twenty-five at most. But no more than that. Good god.

11 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

I just wish there was a limit on how high these prices can go. I mean it's understandable that they wanna make profits off of this, but don't keep letting people sell skins for well over eighty bucks. 

Cap it at twenty. Maybe twenty-five at most. But no more than that. Good god.

To be fair these are just the new skin price that eventually fall off. The Hallowed Light is an alright example (though the drops are limited time), which is going for ~$35 right now.

Well part of that money does go to klei. I forget the exact amount but it’s a split between the seller, Valve, and the developer for each marketplace sale. What I’m getting at here is Klei has a small incentive to let player skins sell for a high premium, they would probably make more if they just sold them as sets though like in The Forge. 

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

To be far these are just the new skin price that eventually fall off. The Hallowed Light is an alright example (though the drops are limited time), which is going for ~$35 right now.

True, but the Alchemy Pod skin has plateaued for the longest time at a steady price of ~$40-45!!

Once the excitement wears off, the good skins will remain at a high price, and the not so favorable ones will drop.

I don't want to pay nearly THREE TIMES what I payed for the game in the first place, that's bloody absurd! I think while it might stagnate the marketplace a bit, I do genuinely believe that it'd be better if they capped the price at the cost of the game ($16.99). I understand if you've got a lot of disposable income, but maybe you could be a nice player and buy me some skins if that's the case. 

Image result for lannister eyebrows gif

4 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:
  Hide contents

This world's fabric skins is frayed and torn.

Hide contents

I KNEW IT! IT WAS A MARKETING SCHEME BY THE FUELWEAVER! KICKING THE BEEFALO TRADER OUT OF TOWN AND SELLING US SPOOLS!

Hide contents

84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default

I don't think I've ever read anything as unfunny as this the entire time I've been on these forums.

Archived