Problem with harassment

heckmate

hi,

i know that this has been stated before, but i think that theres a bit of a problem with harassment on the forge, more so than on regular survival servers. i don't really know what it is, but on every single server that i've joined that hasn't been with my friends, theres always been at least a small bit of rudeness. today it got so bad that i actually cried mid game (i'm a fairly sensitive person). i know that a good solution would be to mute them or to just join another game, but this is quite hard when there are trolls like this in almost every single game i join. i find it ironic that this is happening during an update where teamwork is so important...

do you think there will be any kind of report button, or maybe even a vote to kick? i'm honestly scared of playing the forge right now because of this, which is a shame because i was looking forward to this for so long. i think that a vote to kick or a report button would be extremely helpful. or perhaps maybe stricter rules on harassment?

i know that this is difficult and that this is something that will most definitely take time, but i just thought id bring this to everyone's attention. 

I'm sorry you're having these experiences, but that's the risks of having an online game. Most people you're gonna meet will be rude.

However, a report function would be nice, but require a lot of work on Klei's end (having people check the reports and such) and is unlikely we'll see it. We haven't had it for a while.

BUT A votekick system is possible since it already kinda exists in the survival mode. And tbh, the forge needs a kick function cus of the idlers and rampant trolls. Again, the risks of an online game.

Plenty of people, heck, I'll be willing to bet about 99% of the people on these forums are nice so you should try asking around in the many "looking for group/server" subforums! If you want, you can join me and my friends to play the forge if you're still not keen :D 

Can agree to what you said, I have aswell basically either gotten people who curse at you, do not communicate or generally have any sort of teamwork (higher level people, so it's not like they're exactly beginners to the Forge), or idlers/trolls. When actually playing it with friends or people who work together, the Forge is absolutely amazing, I just at the time of writing this spent like 3-4 hours playing with a friend and a group of randoms and having an absolute blast, almost even beating the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Ashkain said:

I'm sorry you're having these experiences, but that's the risks of having an online game. Most people you're gonna meet will be rude.

However, a report function would be nice, but require a lot of work on Klei's end (having people check the reports and such) and is unlikely we'll see it. We haven't had it for a while.

BUT A votekick system is possible since it already kinda exists in the survival mode. And tbh, the forge needs a kick function cus of the idlers and rampant trolls. Again, the risks of an online game.

Plenty of people, heck, I'll be willing to bet about 99% of the people on these forums are nice so you should try asking around in the many "looking for group/server" subforums! If you want, you can join me and my friends to play the forge if you're still not keen :D 

yeah. im just still not sure why theres such a stark contrast between the regular servers and the forge servers.... maybe because you cant separate the competitive people from the people who just play to have fun?? 

but thank you for the advice. ill definitely keep it in mind. the times that i played with my friends i had a blast so i may just keep trying that and either play with my friends or people on the forum

1 hour ago, Tiggroonie said:

Can agree to what you said, I have aswell basically either gotten people who curse at you, do not communicate or generally have any sort of teamwork (higher level people, so it's not like they're exactly beginners to the Forge), or idlers/trolls. When actually playing it with friends or people who work together, the Forge is absolutely amazing, I just at the time of writing this spent like 3-4 hours playing with a friend and a group of randoms and having an absolute blast, almost even beating the whole thing.

i agree. the forge is super fun with friends! my hope is that klei will include a feature like for the normal servers where you can separate the competitive players from the ones who just want to have fun

6 minutes ago, blueyttrium said:

im just still not sure why theres such a stark contrast between the regular servers and the forge servers....

I know why. It's because you can kick players who are harassing people on the normal servers, but not on the forge. So they can get away with it because there's no risk for them.

It seems like you've just had bad luck. I've played most of my games with randomers and had pleasant experiences almost all the time. I dont know if it has anything to do with the fact that I don't hoard non-role items and play any character as long as it benefits the team

Your best bet is to join DST discord groups (look up DST steam groups and they all have discord groups too). That way you play with strangers who arent rude

7 hours ago, TheFacelessMane said:

It seems like you've just had bad luck. I've played most of my games with randomers and had pleasant experiences almost all the time. I dont know if it has anything to do with the fact that I don't hoard non-role items and play any character as long as it benefits the team

Your best bet is to join DST discord groups (look up DST steam groups and they all have discord groups too). That way you play with strangers who arent rude

I think it's because I often play Maxwell, which is....... ha........ a high difficulty character and since I only play him I have no idea how to do any combat stuff which means I can't play tank

but yeah, for now I'm just gonna stick to playing with friends. I guess that's by best bet before klei gives us an option to ban people  

A global report system (for DST as a whole) would be most welcomed at this point. Be it run by moderators (after, lets say, some turdy recurring griefer/trolls gets 30-50 individual/single different accounts reports) or automated (gets bans after 50-100 of the mentioned kind of reports; first a ban for 1 day, then 3-5, 10/a month and the most virulent, like Clouds, get perma-banned rightfully so). But the in-game troll/griefing/abuse must be addressed by Klei at this point, when almost all games are plagued by said madness. Also the kick option needs more time to be in place, trolls come back again-and-again after are being kicked; make it last more, like 20-30 minutes or till last voter has left lobby.

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

A global report system (for DST as a whole) would be most welcomed at this point. Be it run by moderators (after, lets say, some turdy recurring griefer/trolls gets 30-50 individual/single different accounts reports) or automated (gets bans after 50-100 of the mentioned kind of reports; first a ban for 1 day, then 3-5, 10/a month and the most virulent, like Clouds, get perma-banned rightfully so). But the in-game troll/griefing/abuse must be addressed by Klei at this point, when almost all games are plagued by said madness. Also the kick option needs more time to be in place, trolls come back again-and-again after are being kicked; make it last more, like 20-30 minutes or till last voter has left lobby.

In addition to a kick option they should also throw in a hammerban as well, like in the survival game 

but yeah, I agree! A report option would be extremely beneficial 

2 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Okay, why is a global report system needed? Wouldn't kicking out the players be enough?

17 hours ago, blueyttrium said:

hi,

i know that this has been stated before, but i think that theres a bit of a problem with harassment on the forge, more so than on regular survival servers. i don't really know what it is, but on every single server that i've joined that hasn't been with my friends, theres always been at least a small bit of rudeness. today it got so bad that i actually cried mid game (i'm a fairly sensitive person). i know that a good solution would be to mute them or to just join another game, but this is quite hard when there are trolls like this in almost every single game i join. i find it ironic that this is happening during an update where teamwork is so important...

do you think there will be any kind of report button, or maybe even a vote to kick? i'm honestly scared of playing the forge right now because of this, which is a shame because i was looking forward to this for so long. i think that a vote to kick or a report button would be extremely helpful. or perhaps maybe stricter rules on harassment?

i know that this is difficult and that this is something that will most definitely take time, but i just thought id bring this to everyone's attention. 

3 hours ago, blueyttrium said:

I think it's because I often play Maxwell, which is....... ha........ a high difficulty character and since I only play him I have no idea how to do any combat stuff which means I can't play tank

but yeah, for now I'm just gonna stick to playing with friends. I guess that's by best bet before klei gives us an option to ban people  

Okay, stop. I can agree with muting due to trash-talking/chat trolling or "harassment" as people here call it, I can agree with vote-kicking griefers/idlers/saboteurs, but if you're going to request to have globally banning players who just trash-talk in chat and refuse to use the mute option when it's right there and acknowledge and accept that in multiplayer games this will happen and you have the tools to prevent yourself from crying, then I think that's a step too far.

It's not fair that they should have to mute people. I'd love a ban system since some people can be extremely and consistently toxic in the community, but "Just mute them" isn't that easy for some people. Trust me, I know what it's like. Some people will go out of their way to harass you,  muted or not.

Let's tone it back a little. 

Ideally something like the Overwatch system for CS:GO would be ideal. Add in a report system, which would trigger a case to be looked into after enough reports have been submitted against the reportee. Klei would create a system where only community members they deem trustworthy/reliable would get into, be it within the forums or in the game itself.

The members in the system would see report cases, what people have reported them for and ideally a text box where the reporting person could write in what happened more specifically(this would have to be mandatory unless Klei would implement actual replays like what CS:GO does which I think would be unnecessary). The member inside the program could then judge based on selections whether the reported player did anything wrong, or reported for no apparent reason (which knowing multiplayer games would be happening a lot). 

Ofcourse this would require interest from the community to even begin thinking about, and would have to have a sufficient amount of people inside the system to work. There's a lot of people playing these games and the amount of reports would be big but this would be a good way to have a case by case system without needing to make anything automated, and still maintain a very community driven way of things.

If anything like that was to happen, I personally would be willing to be part of it. 

2 minutes ago, Tiggroonie said:

The members in the system would see report cases, what people have reported them for and ideally a text box where the reporting person could write in what happened more specifically(this would have to be mandatory unless Klei would implement actual replays like what CS:GO does which I think would be unnecessary). The member inside the program could then judge based on selections whether the reported player did anything wrong, or reported for no apparent reason (which knowing multiplayer games would be happening a lot). 

This didn't work at all in League of Legends.  They had "the Tribunal" which is exactly what you're describing.

They found that hands down, if people were using racial or homophobic slurs, the tribunal would vote to punish them.  So that kind of language did *drastically* reduce in LoL.

But anything other than that?  Actual flaming and harassment, people would say the flamer had a right to "call someone out" for "being bad".

Say someone goes "Go kill yourself, jungler, you're garbage" then tribunal members would maybe not punish, because hey, the jungler had a bad record so CLEARLY they NEEDED to be called out for being bad.  

I can't even play League anymore the community is so vile and toxic.  People think the Forge is bad...they have no idea how bad it can be.

And most game companies, I believe, are not harsh enough to griefers and trolls and AFK'ers and ragers because they don't want to ban people who are paying them money.  They just don't really care that much about how it ruins the games for many people, as long as plenty of other people keep paying.

1 hour ago, Heinleinfan said:

This didn't work at all in League of Legends.  They had "the Tribunal" which is exactly what you're describing.

They found that hands down, if people were using racial or homophobic slurs, the tribunal would vote to punish them.  So that kind of language did *drastically* reduce in LoL.

But anything other than that?  Actual flaming and harassment, people would say the flamer had a right to "call someone out" for "being bad".

Say someone goes "Go kill yourself, jungler, you're garbage" then tribunal members would maybe not punish, because hey, the jungler had a bad record so CLEARLY they NEEDED to be called out for being bad.  

I can't even play League anymore the community is so vile and toxic.  People think the Forge is bad...they have no idea how bad it can be.

And most game companies, I believe, are not harsh enough to griefers and trolls and AFK'ers and ragers because they don't want to ban people who are paying them money.  They just don't really care that much about how it ruins the games for many people, as long as plenty of other people keep paying.

The system in CS:GO works pretty fine, only members that are trusted and in CS:GOs case are dedicated to the end, be it via high rank or just generally known by Valve are put into it. The whole thing would have to be monitored obviously, but it works. Leagues didn't work because half the time it was kept to themselves and never really any observing from Riot. Riot is god awful when it comes down to reporting something or generally muting people. League is also a WAY larger game than Don't Starve is and Klei in general. 

Automated systems don't work, never properly atleast. There always needs to be some sort of management involved, and this is the best community driven way to do it, obviously someone or multiple people in Klei would also have to check these things from time to time. Be them statistics on how many reported players get punished and not and likely logs would be kept aswell. 

It's somewhat unreasonable to ask from Klei to have a full time crew working on resolving reports within the game, customer service and such could and does handle most of it but a report system would mean a lot more workforce, something that isn't really an option for a smaller type company typically. While Klei is by no means "small", they're also not "huge". 

All is needed is a mute button & a kick button for hosts & with that you can have relief with the click of a button. If Klei wants to take it to the extreme then they can add a "Friendly Filter" setting in DST is options that censors out any offensive words that people type then you don't have to see them that would be best for everyone then people who like to swear, swear & people who don't, don't see it.

Also, global online bans seems way too extreme, if DST online becomes something like Illuminati moderators spying on your every word & perma-banning you from accessing online for swearing once or because someone got offended then that would be dumb, I have a lot of friends who swear with every single sentence they say & they don't do it to offend people it's just how they talk & the thought of not being able to play with them anymore really breaks my heart.

And like they say... "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never break me."

Also this is all just my opinion :wilson_wink:

7 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Okay, why is a global report system needed? Wouldn't kicking out the players be enough?

Lets imagine this: you are in a pub - regular DST, minding your own business with 2-3 friends/casuals around base when le wild troll appears and starts lighting up your structures with his/hers mighty torch. Ok, no biggie, lets kick the griefer... and so we do; then rollback. Out of sight out of mind, right? Except 10 minutes later le griefer relogs. And guess what he/she does while, lets say we are fighting a boss? Yup, burns base down, again. No problem, we kick griefer again, rollback, start boss fight again as it resetted (puf! goes 1/3 of our resources for the fight). Can you guess what happens 10 minutes later? And, sadly, all the above isn't the product of my twisted imagination; it happened to yours truly. Thus yeah, a global report system and longer kick periods are needed, and needed badly.

Stop this! I don't know what's wrong with you people but if you can't stand a few persons who are trash talking then please don't go outside your house because life is more harsh than that. Harshness is a good thing in few occasions, for example if player takes healing staff but don't know how to use it and is not giving it to the other player who wanted to be a healer in the first place then that's a good way to build pressure on him.

Also ban system would kill this game, vote kick even doesn't work when you play on public servers because there are some players who start a vote to kick a random person and other players in the server just randomly accept it.

report system takes a lof ressources, look at multiplayer games like overwatch.. they have so much money, so many devs and the report system is still not working. it can be easily abused.

i dont think its efficient for klei to make a report system, put so much work into it for an EVENT.. and at the end its not the most perfect solution. 

overall a mute button ingame should be implemented.. once you see someone gets toxic, mute them immediately. 

maybe you could also send some screenshots to klei.. so they can take action (ban the player from the event).

4 hours ago, Tukmens said:

Stop this! I don't know what's wrong with you people but if you can't stand a few persons who are trash talking then please don't go outside your house because life is more harsh than that.

Don't make this personal please, other people handle trash talk different then others, and a lot of people play video games to stay clear of this mess. Stay off that please.

Harshness is a good thing in few occasions, for example if player takes healing staff but don't know how to use it and is not giving it to the other player who wanted to be a healer in the first place then that's a good way to build pressure on him.

No, it's never OK to act harsh to someone, especially if they have little understanding of mechanics. They could be new, young, or probably don't understand a lick whatever language you speak (such is, especially on European servers)

There's other ways to go about such a scenario. Just ask them kindly. If they respond with vitriol then you have an issue. Don't fight fire with fire, its not the community we want.

3 hours ago, Tukmens said:

Stop this! I don't know what's wrong with you people but if you can't stand a few persons who are trash talking then please don't go outside your house because life is more harsh than that. Harshness is a good thing in few occasions, for example if player takes healing staff but don't know how to use it and is not giving it to the other player who wanted to be a healer in the first place then that's a good way to build pressure on him.

Also ban system would kill this game, vote kick even doesn't work when you play on public servers because there are some players who start a vote to kick a random person and other players in the server just randomly accept it.

I could absolutely not disagree with what you're saying more. You're talking about real life, this here isn't real life, this is a video game, which most people use to get out of real life issues, they shouldn't be getting harassed in a game aswell. As to what you're saying about "harassment is good", no. Harassment is NOT good, cursing at someone, trolling someone because they didn't do what you wanted them to do is wrong and uncalled for.

It doesn't kill you to treat someone the way you'd want to be treated. I don't know whether you just misused the word Harass or not but either way pressuring someone to play the way YOU want them to play is not the way to go about these things.

Someone picking up the living staff and misusing it or generally not following the way the team wants to play sucks, but the answer to that isn't to harass someone, rather asking them to switch is fine and if they refuse to do so then you work it out another way.

Am i 'smelling' here a potential troll/griefer and harasser?!

Lovely how some BillyBobbies that most likely are swearing left-and-right in game a la CS:GO just log-in DST forums 1-time to try shooting down people wanting online decency but fell nose-first over own cover-my-sliminess proverbial rug of "I want to be able to do all these vile things (trolling, foul language etc) in future too, is my mental flapper for irl frustration to swear at others online". Jolly-good, Billies, jolly good! ;)

You know what ? Maybe it's because real life is more harsh than that (sometime) than "trash talking" is something people want to avoid in game.
Also, harrassment in game, on internet, can lead to suicide. So people shouldn't "stand" harrassment, people harrassing others should stop.

There is no reason to be harsh to a player not knowing how to use healing staff. Just saying "please, do this" or "please, give the staff to X" is usually enough. There is a problem when people find acceptable to put pressure on a player who don't know how to play and try to justify that "he deserve it".

Tools to prevent harrassment are hard to create, but it's not a reason to ask for people to accept harrassment as a normal thing.

The day people will stop  saying that harrassment on internet is normal, will happen, and you have to accept it and being more strong, then this day will be a real progress.

Archived