Blocking harrasing players and blocking them from matchmaking

MasterWolf

After spending 25 minutes being harassed and insulted, I would prefer a better method for dealing with these people. You can only block conversations with them on steam, but you can't do anything else. So you could in fact be put in a match with them again. I have been playing Forge since it came out two days ago, and played more than 11 hours on it, and have never experienced something like this. It just makes me not play this game anymore

01.png

Can't you mute them in-game by pressing Tab on your keyboard and then "Mute" in the player list? Or does the player list doesn't show up in The Forge?

If you can, then what are you complaining about? That's what the "Mute" button was made for. Being trash-talked in multiplayer games is a common thing and so long as you have the tools to ignore them, I don't think you should have the privilege to request to have huge punishments for them just for that.

If they're griefing/sabotaging then that's a different story, but chat? Don't get puffed about it if you can deal with it on your own, please.

The problem with harassment is when the victim should do things like leaving or stuff to be able to play, instead of giving tools so some of the problem could be solve.

Because it's too often that the victim of harassment has to deal with it.

So it's not about what the victim should have done, but about the tools the game could provide to avoid harassment.

2 hours ago, Master Wolf said:

You can only block conversations with them on steam, but you can't do anything else.

I saw Klei suggesting you to mute people (on twitter). Does it mute them in game ? Maybe it could at least help you to avoid their comment, this could be helpful ?

I'm not sure there is an easy way to prevent you to meet them again. I mean, maybe you could ask to filter things on your end so you'll never go in team with this player, but not the contrary, it will create too many problems (like, i don't know, you join a party of a friend of him, he couldn't join his friend game ?).

Anyway, sorry for this, harassment and insults aren't acceptable.

7 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I'm not sure there is an easy way to prevent you to meet them again. I mean, maybe you could ask to filter things on your end so you'll never go in team with this player, but not the contrary, it will create too many problems (like, i don't know, you join a party of a friend of him, he couldn't join his friend game ?).

Why would one care about that after muting them? If you can't hear what they say, and both of you are cooperating and playing the game normally regardless, what's the problem? Call me insensitive, but if there's no bother, there's no reason to be puffed up about what someone else wrote about you in the chat that you can't see anymore.

I mean, are you seriously going to get a mental breakdown from playing with somebody that called you "****" a minute ago?

If you don't care about this problem, then why denying other players to ask for tool ? You don't care, you already have what you want, move on.

If someone needs a better tool, the question isn't about what you think about it. It's only about if it's possible without downside and could be useful for enough players. Which isn't for you to decide, but for Klei.

There is no need to be rude because you don't see why something is useful. There is no need to be rude to someone who is already harrassed because you don't understand. Thanks.

Adding a mute button seems pointless to me, because why would you want to play with someone who swore at you?

The best thing to do is to leave & make your own lobby, what Klei should do is allow hosts to kick players then you can kick people out of your lobby which you don't want, that would be better in my onion.

When I muted them on steam, they were still able to talk in game. I could not mute them in game because the game had already started. The picture is after the match. Not only that, stopping for one second to do it is a death sentence.

It was only two people, and I didn't want to punish everyone else, because if one person leaves, the game is essentially over. Sometimes it can take more than 10 minutes to get a match started, with people leaving and taking forever to choose a character.

Blocking people from getting matched with them is pretty standard, and it has been done in PSN and Xbox live. It shouldn't mess with too many games at all.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

If they're griefing/sabotaging then that's a different story, but chat? Don't get puffed about it if you can deal with it on your own, please.

One of them was griefing, you can see in the picture that he said "put others in their place". If you do not have anything to contribute, please don't say anything. My intent when I wrote this was to give a feedback and suggest this problem get addressed.

10 hours ago, SuperDavid said:

The best thing to do is to leave & make your own lobby, what Klei should do is allow hosts to kick players then you can kick people out of your lobby which you don't want, that would be better in my onion.

The kick option should be something allowed carefully. In normal DST it's sometimes used instead of password to filter games, would be sad to see it in a wrong way here. I'm not against it, but it should have limits.

About the muting, maybe it should be possible to add names of people after a game, so you can at least do it after you leave the game and all. Wouldn't be helpful during the game, but still something.

Also, maybe adding an option you could access during game. During phases you should have time to do this (but maybe it's already possible ?)

4 hours ago, Lumina said:

The kick option should be something allowed carefully. In normal DST it's sometimes used instead of password to filter games, would be sad to see it in a wrong way here. I'm not against it, but it should have limits.

About the muting, maybe it should be possible to add names of people after a game, so you can at least do it after you leave the game and all. Wouldn't be helpful during the game, but still something.

In relation to griefing, I agree. I guess people will kick others simply for bad language with the feature in regardless, but what can you do.

Wait, you mean that muting isn't saved? In the base game, does it get saved on a specific server though? Like, if you've muted somebody, exit, and enter back in? And is the same for if they exit and enter a game?

There isn't such a thing as "playing normally with the harassing players"; even if they just swear at you and you mute them, seeing you seemingly ignore their future chat obscenity, this type of people are 1-step away from actual trolling/griefing: they will sabotage you in-game when chat seems to take no effect on victim. I keep writing about trolling/griefing in forums again and again as it's a prevalent phenomenon in pubs, even more so on the Klei dedicated servers but no one seem to care regarding methods of dealing efficiently with it - aka longer kick periods (20-30 minutes or till last kick voter leaves lobby), pub moderators that will policize Klei servers, actual perma-bans for known trolls/griefers that do these vile things en mass (think at the Clouds russian kid), etc. Yet, again, nothing of that sorts happen. Now I encounter on daily basis trolls/griefers in them pubs... might as well join on the madness myself ("if you can't beat them..").

@EuedeAdodooedoe Seriously now, move along. You stated your opinion on things but don't argue and contradict others. Maybe you don't find something like this useful but I invite you to play with people that don't speak basic English, just come in to be afk and basically ruin your game, start cussing and so on. Seriously, find another topic or make your own where you want to express your rant. Thanks.

That also can be a viable option to deal with trolls/griefers: make an DST report option and when some "fuzzballs of wonder and joy" like Clouds get lets say over 30 or 50 reports, some Klei hired moderators can look into it OR make an auto system that bans said trolls/griefers after 50-100 individual/single account reports (to prevent potential petty BillyBobs squabbles). But pls do something about this in-game madness (i.e. trolling and/or griefing), main game branch, nowadays I look with reticence at pubs and is a shame, as I encountered some great people in them in the past. But now more and more turds are piling up in my Steam Blocked Users than friends..

46 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

That also can be a viable option to deal with trolls/griefers: make an DST report option and when some "fuzzballs of wonder and joy" like Clouds get lets say over 30 or 50 reports, some Klei hired moderators can look into it OR make an auto system that bans said trolls/griefers after 50-100 individual/single account reports (to prevent potential petty BillyBobs squabbles). But pls do something about this in-game madness (i.e. trolling and/or griefing), main game branch, nowadays I look with reticence at pubs and is a shame, as I encountered some great people in them in the past. But now more and more turds are piling up in my Steam Blocked Users than friends..

How do you block people on steam other than "conversation"?

Yes, this is why I never do a random world anymore, because someone will just come in an wreck stuff. I look for LFG posts.

A good half of my Forge runs were ruined by greifers and ragers and afk's and so forth.  It took a very long time to find a solid PUG team.

I mean, day 1 there were a lot of people messing up, but it was Day 1 so I had a little more patience.  Once I started seeing level 15+ folks, though, like...playing Webber and grabbing the heal staff...it wasn't beginners errors, it was trolling.

I don't have friends who play this game and so I do DST completely solo, which is really annoying.  I'd like to have company now and then!  But as soon as I let some stranger in, they burn everything in sight.  It's literally happened *every single time* I've opened up my server, my stuff's been burned up.

The people jumping into games just to burn **** *keep doing it because they can*.  The people joining Forge groups just to go afk for time or just to sabotage the game will keep doing it *because they can*.  We know they're useless trolls who get their jollies by ruining everyone's fun - but that doesn't help when your fun is ruined over and over.

Some kind of something needs to happen to get rid of this troll behavior, "muting" someone is not the answer.

14 minutes ago, Master Wolf said:

How do you block people on steam other than "conversation"?

In game/DST > press TAB > click on View Player icon > click on view Steam Profile > in Steam click on More button > Block All Communications.

This won't stop the blocked player(s) to hop a new world you're playing, but will interdict them to friend invite you on Steam, comment on your Steam profile or pictures and, also, most importantly, you will know in the future they are DST griefers/trolls even if they change their nicknames a lot.

3 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

In game/DST > press TAB > click on View Player icon > click on view Steam Profile > in Steam click on More button > Block All Communications.

This won't stop the blocked player(s) to hop a new world you're playing, but will interdict them to friend invite you on Steam, comment on your Steam profile or pictures and, also, most importantly, you will know in the future they are DST griefers/trolls even if they change their nicknames a lot.

Oh yeah I did that, blocked conversations/communications with them. I am really surprised steam hasn't implemented a better way to deal with annoying people, I have been using steam since it came out 14 years ago.

fcnbbgX.jpg?1

I'll just leave this here.

Don't mind the racist slur as I heard it's something rather normal these days, it's about plain and simple trolling.

PS: he has 44 hours in DST and no, he didn't pick anything and the crap continued until most of us left.

2 hours ago, cezarica said:
Spoiler

fcnbbgX.jpg?1

I'll just leave this here.

Don't mind the racist slur as I heard it's something rather normal these days, it's about plain and simple trolling.

PS: he has 44 hours in DST and no, he didn't pick anything and the crap continued until most of us left.

The simple way to solve this is all event matches force start in 1 minute once there's 6 people, there be a toggleable option for offensive words to be ******** for a person if they want (which can be enabled by default, but players who aren't offended by words can turn it off when they want), & people can votekick, kick, mute & ban people from their specific server if they are the host.

There's no need for Klei to do extreme things like hiring moderators to 24/7 watch servers & perma-ban people from playing online because of a couple trolls when there's much simpler solutions that make everyone happy except the trolls.

Some things are not legal in some country so yes, a way to report  theses things would be better. I could understand that it could be expensive, that it could require to hire people, and for this reason, that it's not possible, but simpler solutions aren't better neither they are enough when you are facing people that aren't "troll", but really serious about racism, sexism, and stuff like this.

So i hope that things will improve, even if i understand why it's hard to do.

22 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Some things are not legal in some country so yes, a way to report  theses things would be better. I could understand that it could be expensive, that it could require to hire people, and for this reason, that it's not possible,

You can report them on Steam then, why must you report through DST? There is no difference other than causing pointless hassle for Klei :wilsondisapproving:...

22 minutes ago, Lumina said:

but simpler solutions aren't better neither they are enough when you are facing people that aren't "troll", but really serious about racism, sexism, and stuff like this.

Simpler solutions are better because you votekick, kick, mute & ban people from the server & you're done with that person & won't be affected by them anymore... Simpler solutions are always the best solutions :wilson_unimpressed:.

Archived