The Forge Weaving System

KoreanWaffles

The Forge Weaving System  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the new weaving system?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

So as you all know, The Forge just came out today, and I'm loving it so far!

The Forge introduced a new loot and crafting— err, "weaving" system, in which you can weave spools together to make skins. How do you obtain said spools you may ask? Well, you simply "unravel" skins that you currently have. As of now, since we are still in beta, your normal steam inventory will not be linked to your Forge inventory, so you won't be able to access any of your current skins. Anyway, each rarity has its own spool cost.

Elegant- 1350 spools
Distinguished- 450 spools
Spiffy- 150 spools
Rare- 45 spools
Common- 15 spools

Skins can be unraveled to receive spools equal to a third of their weaving cost (e.g. unraveling a spiffy skin will grant you 50 spools). Some people may not like this crafting system, but I think it's pretty nifty, as long as the skins aren't marketable. That's just asking for trouble. The only skin you can't craft using spools is the Fist Shake Emote, which is an ensemble reward just like the Yawn and Sleepy emotes. To acquire the Fist Shake Emote, you have to have the full Forge Set (Gladiator Set) for your given character.

Side tangent: spools is such a funny word now that I've typed it several times. spools. spools. spools. I mean, look at it. it's the word pool with an s before an after it. spooooooools. It also looks like the word spoons.

Ranting time. Non-Forge skins have the weave button greyed out, implying you can weave those items in the future. I really don't think it's a good idea to allow players to weave non-Forge skins. That would instantly crash the Steam market, as not all skins are created equal. You have some Elegants going for $30+ while are marketed for less than $1. Players should most definitely not be able to unravel non-Forge skins either. You could buy cheap $1 Elegants and unravel them to craft much more valuable Elegants, like an Alchemy Pod for a fraction of its price. 

So what are your thoughts on the new weaving system? I added a poll to this post.

spools is still a funny word.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.spools.

I just thougt the greyed-out button suggestst that the weaving system is only for creating event skins. So after the event is over it is maybe not possible to weave the event skins anymore? Or will they always be weavable? However... I think all the buyable Skins wont be marketable anyway, or will they after they went "out of sale" after the event? So many questions... But at the first glance the weaving system looks quite fine.

Edit: And i just realized the loyal skins are not visible in the skin previews. Is this on purpose because those can not be obtained by buying them on the steam community market? Or will those be later implemented? More Questions...

6 minutes ago, PillsStealer said:

Weave don’t deserve this.

This thread is sewing off topic. Spooooooooooooooooooooooooools.

I think the Spoolerino system is good, gives us a way to get skins we want without having to pray to the RNG or with our wallets!

spooool

The system is good, but the pricing is definetely not. At level 12 I only have like 170 spools, even if I did disassemble every single item I got it would maybe be like 500 - 600. And from now on Getting chests is getting stupidly hard.  I could probably craft 1 item a month if I was clearing Forge 4 times a day.

I'm confused about it so far...I know how to unravel to get spools. But how do I know how many spools it takes to weave?  I just am not seeing that in the interface anywhere :)  I have 365 spools and I'd like to know if I can use em!

Also, I think your unravel amounts may be off.  Some of the common items are only 5 spools, such as Icons and Emoticons. I think the spool amount changes not only by its rating, but by what category it is, too! :)   I also think you forgot the Classy rating!

OH I just realized, just because a belonging doesn't have a lock on it doesn't mean I own it. lol. Which is why the Weave is always grayed out. Hmmm. So, how do I get the skins then? Just one of those things you get in participating like the rest?  Thanks for your feedback, @Ashkain :)

EDIT: just hovered over Belongings and saw it said to equip skins to make them available. I have a bunch of skins and have them equipped, but no Belongings have become available yet! :)

@sillygolucky Forge skins can be gained from levelling up via chests, and throughout the event any common drops you get from playing the survival mode will turn into chests! (anything higher then common wont be a forge chest, and be a normal drop)

Only forge skins can be crafted, however both forge and non-forge skins can be unwoven into spoools :D 

Of course, all skins right now in the beta branch are temporary and will not carry over to the main game when the beta ends! (Also, any skins you have for normal DST in your steam inventory cannot be used in the beta)

On 10/23/2017 at 8:41 PM, KoreanWaffles said:

Ranting time. Non-Forge skins have the weave button greyed out, implying you can weave those items in the future. I really don't think it's a good idea to allow players to weave non-Forge skins. That would instantly crash the Steam market, as not all skins are created equal.

And doing this evens the playing field by making all skins equal based on rarity. Sure, it'll crash the DST skin economy, but it means people can actually save up to get the skins they want just by playing the actual game itself instead of having to pay. Because let's face it, chances are you won't get any good skins you'd like with normal gameplay...

On 24.10.2017 at 2:41 AM, KoreanWaffles said:

Non-Forge skins have the weave button greyed out, implying you can weave those items in the future. I really don't think it's a good idea to allow players to weave non-Forge skins.

On 25.10.2017 at 8:58 PM, Ashkain said:

Only forge skins can be crafted

I think they won't be craftable, just as Ashkain said. If they were craftable then we would be able to craft them now, in beta.

On 24.10.2017 at 4:34 PM, RancorSnp said:

And from now on Getting chests is getting stupidly hard. 

I don't think you need more and more xp for each level. I may be wrong, but I'm almost sure.

Archived