Wolfgang is better than Wigfrid. (probably)

2 hours ago, Dodgerer said:

My two cents are this, I don't really mind either, both ar quite similar in their food hoarding. 

The difference is Wolfgang hoards all the food.

I find them both to be powerful for different situations, wolfgang excels at killing dragonflies, and other strong enemies without sanity auras while wigfrid is better vs the other monsters, especially packs of smaller enemies, eg hounds and spiders.

The reason why I hate playing as Wolfgang is because of when he changes forms he has a stun animation where he inflates/deflates which is really a sucker in battles.

I would absolutely agree that Wolfgang is awkward to use due to transformation animations in combat and his constantly scaling stats while mighty.  In unskilled hands and especially on a team of novice players (almost everyone on public servers) he is often dead weight.  Wigfrid is much easier to use and therefore generally a better teammate in the hands of a newbie.

But Wolfgang is better vs hounds and spiders as well as bosses simply because his damage is that much higher, as is his speed.

1 hour ago, StarmanNess said:

i wouldn't mind seeing wigfrid's underwear, but wolfgang probably goes commando

Assuming they both wore underwear, Wolfgang's is more impressive due to adjusting to his drastic size changes, and repairing when torn after going mighty.

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Usually I regret looking at threads like this. And then I see the current discussion is about their underwear. I now regret checking in on this thread even more.

I did what I had too
don't judge to to hard
though you can judge me plenty that in went straight to underwear
blame @minespatch

On 09/10/2017 at 12:15 AM, Mr. Despair said:

You don't need health leaching when the DS/T mobs/boss are so easy to kill and healing as wimpy > Wigfrid's vampirism, Wolfgang is great because playing as him means less time pressing F and exploring.  Klei thinks that giving more health to the bosses is gonna make them harder but just makes combat more tedious and it's the reason of why i didn't play as Webber/Woddie/Wathever-character-i-think-is-funny in DST and i decided to switch to SW.

Not only in combat, In DST there is food everywhere and you can be mighty 24/7, which means wasting less time. Mighty Wolfgang + Cane > Any other pleb with a cane.

With Wolfgang you can be mighty all the time,  Overload is really fun and blah blah but in Together you can only be in that mode during Spring and some moments of autumn.

Unless the server has a wicker bottom, and anyway i thought this thread was discussing Wigfrid and Wolfgang.

I do agree with some people, Wolfgang can be disastrous in the wrong hands, I think many of these useless Wolfgang’s expect to be worshipped like a god when all they do is hang around camp eating all my taffy! Then on day twenty( or whenever winter is on that server) they just disappear. I almost always play as Wolfgang, unless I see there’s another Wolfgang on the server, that’s when I go Wiclerbottom or Wilson or Webber.

Me and my brother once did a Wolfgang x2 world and we were always running out of food. I think If one of us played Wigfrid, we wouldn’t have so much fighting power  but we wouldn’t be starving either. What I’m trying to say is we all can’t be Wolfgang because we would all starve as a wimp. There’s one time you CAN have as many Wolfango as you want! It’s Wickerbottom, Think about it, Wicker could feed an army of Wolfgang’s, as with Wigfrid, she could only give meat by Birds of the World. 

So Wolfgang can be as good as teaming as other players.

Dream Team: Wolfgang+Wigfrid

But I stand by my previous point, Wolfgang is much better than wigfrid controlled IN THE RIGHT HANDS.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, Toros said:

This right here is why although we've discussed Wolfgang vs Wigfrid on these forums so many times... clearly it's not enough because some of you just don't get it.

I'm not sure if it's blind optimism or a lack of understanding of how the game works but there is absolutely not "no better character, just better for a given goal and situation."  Some characters are just universally better because their upsides are useful in ways that matter and their downsides are minimal to ignorable.

Speed is always valuable and combat is necessary.  The alternative to fighting directly is investing huge amounts of resources into gunpowder and/or bunny hutches so they can fight for you.

Both Wolfgang and Wigfrid fill the same role, a combat focused character, and both have a dietary downside.  Wolfgang needs more food, and Wigfrid can only eat meat-type food.  The issue is that he's far, far better at combat (2.0x damage vs 1.25x damage, 1.25x speed vs 1x speed) and his dietary problems are countered by a belt of hunger, or when you reach the point in the game where you have tons and tons of food (First spring, generally).

The only time Wigfrid can be competitive with Wolfgang is when you're bad at the game on a fresh server and you can't manage Wolfgang's hunger needs.  Both lack of skill and a fresh world are required, one alone is not enough.

None of the top three characters (Wx, Wolfgang, Wickerbottom) have any situations where another character outshines them who is not in the top three, assuming the player is somewhat good at the game.

u have my respect

The difference between being Wolfgang and Wigfrid is being really overpowered some of the time and kind of overpowered all the time.

It would be easier to just agree that every character except Willow, Winona, Wilson and Wes (keep the memes off) is overpowered in their own way.

11 hours ago, The Curator said:

The difference between being Wolfgang and Wigfrid is being really overpowered some of the time and kind of overpowered all the time.

It would be easier to just agree that every character except Willow, Wilson and Wes (keep the memes off) is overpowered in their own way.

There are a number of ways to analyze character balance and one is to look at the strongest, weakest, and average character and see if the spread is unreasonable in either direction.

Where you make an error in your analysis is to assume that Wilson was the standard that Klei balanced around.  That was never the case nor would it be desireable.  The average balanced character would most likely be Webber or Wendy, who have significant  advantages and disadvantages that remain meaningful throughout the game.  Characters below that point (Wilson, Willow, Wes, arguably Winona and definitely Warly and Walani if we consider SW ported characters) have either major disadvantages without significant perks, or trivial perks that fail to differentiate the character from a beardless Wilson in any significant way.

Wilson himself has perhaps the least useful and most boring perk of the entire cast including the SW characters.

It’s true that the 3 god tier characters and maxwell are simply too strong (tipping point for me with max is being able to read wicker books) but Webber, Wigfrid, and Wendy are in a very good place where both their perks and disadvantages feel fair and interesting.

21 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

Off-topic, but the Forge is basically the opposite and I love that.

I love how useful and unique Wilson’s forge perk is, though the balancing in general among the characters is super wonky.  I just wish everyone was at a place where they were unique and fun without some characters being absurdly good and people other than Wes being weak.

On 7/10/2017 at 12:54 AM, KoreanWaffles said:

If only you knew...

If only you could see what had happened...

Oh wait you can

sorryimnotsorry

best thread in the forum. also hi

But I mean, who in the f are Wolfgang and Wigfrid? Do they inflate balloons? Spoiler, THEY DO NOT.

Discussion ended. Have a good evening fellas.

7 hours ago, Toros said:

I love how useful and unique Wilson’s forge perk is, though the balancing in general among the characters is super wonky.  I just wish everyone was at a place where they were unique and fun without some characters being absurdly good and people other than Wes being weak.

Don’t you know Wes is “hard mode”  so probably solved it’s not a survival games’ job to make you feel weak or powerless against the world or anything. Proper difficulty spikes who wants that?

2 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Don’t you know Wes is “hard mode”  so probably solved it’s not a survival games’ job to make you feel weak or powerless against the world or anything. Proper difficulty spikes who wants that?

Warly is true hard mode, wes just needs a little more food with wendy damage and more than max hp.  Plus Wes has balloons that make good distractions and are fantastic for sanity management.  Also, OP decoration.

8 hours ago, Toros said:

Warly is true hard mode

To bad he isn’t that fun, Wes doesn’t really hit the right spots or make you do anything different, you are just slightly more restricted in how much you can do in a day.

8 hours ago, Toros said:

Also, OP decoration.

Obligatory meme of nerfs

JK Lol XxxxxxxDdddddddd send to maxwell memes so funny 

ok enough derailing 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:38 AM, BloodBark said:

Unless the server has a wicker bottom, and anyway i thought this thread was discussing Wigfrid and Wolfgang.

I do agree with some people, Wolfgang can be disastrous in the wrong hands, I think many of these useless Wolfgang’s expect to be worshipped like a god when all they do is hang around camp eating all my taffy! Then on day twenty( or whenever winter is on that server) they just disappear. I almost always play as Wolfgang, unless I see there’s another Wolfgang on the server, that’s when I go Wiclerbottom or Wilson or Webber.

Me and my brother once did a Wolfgang x2 world and we were always running out of food. I think If one of us played Wigfrid, we wouldn’t have so much fighting power  but we wouldn’t be starving either. What I’m trying to say is we all can’t be Wolfgang because we would all starve as a wimp. There’s one time you CAN have as many Wolfango as you want! It’s Wickerbottom, Think about it, Wicker could feed an army of Wolfgang’s, as with Wigfrid, she could only give meat by Birds of the World. 

So Wolfgang can be as good as teaming as other players.

Dream Team: Wolfgang+Wigfrid

But I stand by my previous point, Wolfgang is much better than wigfrid controlled IN THE RIGHT HANDS.

I agree with the first and second bolded.  You should NEVER have 2 Wolfgangs on one server.  It's being wimpy at best and a horrible sabotaging competition at worst.  When I see Wolfgang, I go as Wickerbottom.  Also, I don't want more than 1 Wolfgang even as Wickerbottom.  I want to look for things to build with and manage the base, not worry about feeding a pair of gluttons.  

I do like Wigfrid when I have Wolfgang, but my dream team is me as Wicker and the other person as Wigfrid, or me as Webber and the other person as Wendy/Abigail.

21 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

I agree with the first and second bolded.  You should NEVER have 2 Wolfgangs on one server.  It's being wimpy at best and a horrible sabotaging competition at worst.  When I see Wolfgang, I go as Wickerbottom.  Also, I don't want more than 1 Wolfgang even as Wickerbottom.  I want to look for things to build with and manage the base, not worry about feeding a pair of gluttons.  

I do like Wigfrid when I have Wolfgang, but my dream team is me as Wicker and the other person as Wigfrid, or me as Webber and the other person as Wendy/Abigail.

Feeding two wolfgangs isn’t even hard, he only has 50% more hunger drain than normal.  On a team of three two wolfgangs are only an extra person.  If they’re both going mighty and not farming their own food they’re failing two different ways at the same time.

Issue isn’t wolfgang, it’s the player(s).  I always feed myself and then some, which would scale up just fine.

Archived